Blu-ray & DVD-Audio Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 88 Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I purchased a Sony BDP-S5100 to play my SACDs and am now looking for a comparably priced DVD-A player that plays Blu-rays...Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 08-17-2013, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I purchased a Sony BDP-S5100 to play my SACDs and am now looking for a comparably priced DVD-A player that plays Blu-rays...Does anyone have any suggestions?

Why do you need another BR player? Just get a dvd player that does dvd-a. I don't think there are a lot of BR players w/ dvd-a that aren't pretty expensive.
post #3 of 88 Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Right now I have a Denon DVD-3910 that I've used for almost 9 years on a daily basis, but unfortunately it stopped playing SACDs a few months back. I was surprised that a $110 Sony filled the void perfectly because I hadn't upgraded to Blu-ray and now I can play both and it was extremely cheap for that ability...

So, I was wondering if I could do the same with DVD-A and Blu-ray and have a second player for the latter so I could change disks while the other was playing. That said, do they still make inexpensive DVD players that play DVD-A and are HDMI compliant? So far my Denon plays those disks without a hitch but at some point it won't and it would be nice to have a cost effective replacement.
post #4 of 88 Old 08-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 63
My Oppo BDP-103 replaced both a Denon DVD-2500BTci and Denon DVD-2930. It IS expensive for a disc player but plays everything I throw at it, including stuff streamed from my media server in .mp3, .flac, .mp4, .avi, .mkv. It even plays stuff I encoded and burned to CD/DVD using DiVX/Xvid 10 years ago. Oppo updates the firmware frequently with new features, like streaming DSD. I don't own any SACD 's but being able to download and stream the content is nice. Only thing I'd like to see are apps for Hulu and Amazon Prime.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #5 of 88 Old 08-17-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

My Oppo BDP-103 replaced both a Denon DVD-2500BTci and Denon DVD-2930. It IS expensive for a disc player....

I have heard good things about the Oppo players, but wanted a cost effective alternative and don't mind/prefer having 2 units (especially if they both played blu-ray is why I asked). I also don't need the other streaming media or formats although think my Sony has the apps you mentioned for Hulu and Amazon.
post #6 of 88 Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 58
No Sony player will do DVD-Audio, since that format, directly clashed w/ their SACD format.
At this point in time, Oppo will play any 5in disc.
post #7 of 88 Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

No Sony player will do DVD-Audio, since that format, directly clashed w/ their SACD format.

Got it. Just trying to find out which other ones do. smile.gif
post #8 of 88 Old 08-17-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

At this point in time, Oppo will play any 5in disc.

Other than HD DVD. I, too, would rather have multiple players, rather than 1 Oppo, no matter how good it is, unless money was no object.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #9 of 88 Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 235
You can use a new Oppo for 2 years and sell it for 75% of what you paid. Try that with the Sony or Denon alternatives. It makes them pretty cheap to own, and a real bargain considering the incredible support and multitude of features. Many folks are doing just that and upgrading to the newest Oppo model when it comes out. Look at sale prices on eBay for used Oppo BDP-83 and BDP-93 players. Its not impossible to own one for less than the cost of 2 cheaper players.
post #10 of 88 Old 08-17-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've owned my Denon for 9 years and what I plan on buying I don't plan on selling. Insofar as buying used to keep cost down--If I can get one for a couple hundred with a year warranty that is an option. Thanks
post #11 of 88 Old 08-17-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
One of the earliest Panasonic BDPs also played DVD-A but it's too obsolete. Around or below the $200 mark there are Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, 53-FD and 62FD (soon to be replaced with new model).

Universal BD/SACD/DVD-A player
Mediatek platform - also used in Oppo
Qdeo video chip (53FD and 62FD) - also used in Oppo
dual HDMI - also in Oppo
'PAL' and 'NTSC' - also in Oppo, unlike Sony (NTSC only)
can play SACD-R
can be region hacked with firmware alone - unlike Oppo
will send 2CH PCM 88.2kHz from SACD via SPDIF - unlike Oppo

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467142/pioneer-elite-bdp-62fd-blu-ray-player-for-only-199-98-at-magnolia-best-buy
SanchoPanza likes this.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #12 of 88 Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that link Kilian.ca. That is one definitely to check out.
post #13 of 88 Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
There's also the option of doing a BDP-83 or 93. I bet an 83 can be had for $250 or perhaps less. You'll also gain their excellent customer service.
post #14 of 88 Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

There's also the option of doing a BDP-83 or 93. I bet an 83 can be had for $250 or perhaps less. You'll also gain their excellent customer service.

Even though I love my 83 and will never consider selling it, I would not advise getting it as a music player. It's definitely a bit on the harsh side. I use it in my bedroom with a soundbar where it's more than adequate. I'm not familiar with the 93 so I can't comment on it. OTOH, I've heard the 103 and and it sounds really good.

As for the OP's needs, both Denon and Pioneer DVD or BD players are good choices (not the inexpensive ones), Do they even make universal DVD players anymore?
post #15 of 88 Old 08-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

It's definitely a bit on the harsh side.

Sounds like it's broken. The DAC should produce a flat response as all modern DAC's do.
post #16 of 88 Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like it's broken. The DAC should produce a flat response as all modern DAC's do.

No, it's not broken, it just isn't the best sounding audio player. (I'm speaking about the audio output, BTW). If it was, there wouldn't be any need for the 83SE, 95, 105 or any number of modded Oppo's. As an owner of a 95, I can vouch for the fact that the 83 doesn't sound as good. It's not terrible, but you can hear the difference easily.

OTOH, The 83 is superb in every other way and I have no plans of getting rid of mine.
post #17 of 88 Old 08-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, it's not broken, it just isn't the best sounding audio player. (I'm speaking about the audio output, BTW). If it was, there wouldn't be any need for the 83SE, 95, 105 or any number of modded Oppo's. As an owner of a 95, I can vouch for the fact that the 83 doesn't sound as good. It's not terrible, but you can hear the difference easily.

OTOH, The 83 is superb in every other way and I have no plans of getting rid of mine.

But you're suggesting that there is some kind of emphasis in the DAC or analog output of the 83 that should not be there.

And is the "easily heard" difference backed up (in a non subjective way) elsewhere between, say, the 83 and 83SE?

This is the first time that I've heard that the 83 produces a "harsh" sound.
post #18 of 88 Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
You don't really even need a DVD-A player to be honest... If you can extract the files and convert them to WAV files, create a Data DVD with those WAV files on it, play it directly from your Blu Ray player.
bo130 likes this.
post #19 of 88 Old 08-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

You don't really even need a DVD-A player to be honest... If you can extract the files and convert them to WAV files, create a Data DVD with those WAV files on it, play it directly from your Blu Ray player.

That's a good point. DVD-Audio Extractor will rip multichannel information into wav's or flac's. The only thing that is missing with this method is the loss of gapless playback.
post #20 of 88 Old 08-24-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

That's a good point. DVD-Audio Extractor will rip multichannel information into wav's or flac's. The only thing that is missing with this method is the loss of gapless playback.

You don't lose that capability, its just another step in the process: stitching those files together.
post #21 of 88 Old 08-25-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But you're suggesting that there is some kind of emphasis in the DAC or analog output of the 83 that should not be there.

And is the "easily heard" difference backed up (in a non subjective way) elsewhere between, say, the 83 and 83SE?

This is the first time that I've heard that the 83 produces a "harsh" sound.

It sounds a bit harsh to me and I listen to tubes. But that means nothing to anyone else. Everyone's ears are different as well as their systems and how they interact in the room they listen in. I also compared the 83 to my AH! Njoe Tjoeb tube CD player which is not a fair comparison. As far as the technical side of it, there are some great threads in the Blu-Ray Player area of this forum that explain it in detail. The 83SE, 95 and 105 do sound different. I've had a chance to compare my 83 directly to both my 95 and a friends 83SE and the audio tweaked players both sound better to me through the analog outputs. And it's not subtle. You have to listen for yourself and then decide.

That doesn't take anyway from the 83 in every other way. It's a superb player.
post #22 of 88 Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It sounds a bit harsh to me and I listen to tubes. But that means nothing to anyone else. Everyone's ears are different as well as their systems and how they interact in the room they listen in.

The last part about rooms I will wholeheartedly agree with. If you or someone else has room issues, room treatments and doing measuring to address those issues is key. Everyone's ears are different when it comes to speakers. I don't agree when it comes to a lot of solid state gear.
Quote:
I also compared the 83 to my AH! Njoe Tjoeb tube CD player which is not a fair comparison.

Tubes would likely bring about distortion, and give other artifacts, so you're correct on that level.
Quote:
As far as the technical side of it, there are some great threads in the Blu-Ray Player area of this forum that explain it in detail. The 83SE, 95 and 105 do sound different. I've had a chance to compare my 83 directly to both my 95 and a friends 83SE and the audio tweaked players both sound better to me through the analog outputs. And it's not subtle. You have to listen for yourself and then decide.

This would be a lovely test subject for an ABX DBT, given that the results are claimed to be more than just subtle. smile.gif But I seriously doubt that anyone would ever allow for their perceptions to be challenged on that level, even if they claimed it was "obvious". I don't know what you mean though by "technical side". Measurements? Numbers? Is there an assumption made that there must be an audible difference?
post #23 of 88 Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 781
It isn't that the Oppo is harsh. It is that the CD player is distorted by comparison and the owner prefers that sound. I wouldn't spend any time worrying about the sound in an Oppo player. I'm sure it is right on the money.
post #24 of 88 Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an 83 and agree with the harsh assessment. Of course it will depend on the speakers you are using and the room they are in. I have a pair of Triangle Naia's that are somewhat hot on the high end and the 83's analog output could be punishing at times depending on the source. I have a Denon 3910 that sounds great with the exact same setup. Once I got a new Onk Receiver and started using digital it was no longer an issue. Love the 83 but would not recomend it for those using analog. If your speakers are a bit wanting in the high Frequencies then the 83 may sound fine.
post #25 of 88 Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

It isn't that the Oppo is harsh. It is that the CD player is distorted by comparison and the owner prefers that sound. I wouldn't spend any time worrying about the sound in an Oppo player. I'm sure it is right on the money.

I'm guessing whatever "harsness" is due to speakers and/or room.
post #26 of 88 Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
3910 produces no harshness with same exact setup.
post #27 of 88 Old 08-27-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know what you mean though by "technical side". Measurements? Numbers? Is there an assumption made that there must be an audible difference?

You asked me to back up my statement in a non subjective way. I just judge by my ears. If there is no difference in what I'm hearing, I'm not going to BS myself about it. There is too much snake oil already in audio. All you have to do is read one of the high-end audio rags to see that in full effect. I do hear a difference in the players. But YMMV. As long as you enjoy the music.

If you're looking for an in depth technical discussion of any of these players, there are some very active threads about all of them.
post #28 of 88 Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:

If there is no difference in what I'm hearing, I'm not going to BS myself about it.

But you are. Like me and everybody else, you suffer from hearing bias. Our brains fool us all the time. I suspect that was the motivation for the comment.
post #29 of 88 Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

But you are. Like me and everybody else, you suffer from hearing bias. Our brains fool us all the time. I suspect that was the motivation for the comment.

What does hearing bias have to do with my comment? My hearing doesn't change when I compare different equipment. After working for many years in live music, I've learned to filter out the BS. If my 95 sounded like my 83 I would have sent it back and saved a grand. But it doesn't.
post #30 of 88 Old 08-28-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I agree with ti-triodes, compared to the 95 & 105, the 83 has a glare to it.
It also is more harsh than my Denon 5910.

A friend owns the 83, the other players I either currently own or have owned and have done side-by-side comparos.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Reply Surround Music Formats

Tags
Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread - S5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page