New Dream Theater Self-Titled Release in 5.1 AND DVD-A - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 10-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having the same issues with my BDP-103: distortion, dropouts, and the player is not immediately responsive to remote commands to stop, pause, or eject.

Reported to Oppo. Hoping for a fix soon. Haven't experienced similar problems on any other DVD-A or SACD disks.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 10-19-2013, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's only a guess but I would blame the authoring as well. This is a very plain DVD-A in that there are no menus or still pictures like all other DVD-A that I have. It is just missing something or I can't access it. Plays fine but no features with the oppo 95

Gaugster
post #33 of 43 Old 12-08-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 49
There was a new FW update for the 103, and it seems to fix the issue, I'm playing this as I type this. Thanks to those alerted Oppo, and of course thanks to Oppo for fixing this pretty quickly.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #34 of 43 Old 12-09-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadocal View Post

Mine came today and I'm halfway through the surround mix in hi res.

Really enjoying this album. Normally the singer James LaBrie has a habit of annoying me with what I can only call "cheese factor", but this time I'm really enjoying the vox too. The music is amazing at times and the new drummer really shines.

The 5.1 mix is nice. I agree with the above comment about some drums in the rear being a bit odd but overall a nice discrete 5.1

Loving the heavy grooves.

in brief:

+1

tongue.gif

Long form:

I too have listened to the first 5 tracks (I suppose that is the first half or so), and been mildly surprised at how much I like the music and vocals - I have found previous releases to be overly tech-prog and not enough music-prog, ifyaknowwhatimean. And indeed, the vocals are standing up well.

The 5.1 mix is discrete and aggressive enough for me - I like to sound like I'm in the middle of the band, with stuff swirling around me. Theme-park-ride-music-mixing style or whatever you want to call it, it's what I like.

Anyway, I hope to get to the rest of the album tonight. Soon, at any rate.

Well worth a listen, if it even mildly piques your interest.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #35 of 43 Old 01-27-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Just a little bump for those who were on the fence with purchasing this disc when it wasn't compatible with the Oppo. With the latest Oppo firmware release, the issues playing this were resolved (I'm actually spinning the disc right now). Been a long-time DT fan, and the fact that I could get their new disc on DVD-A was a plus. As others have mentioned, this is a bare-bones release with no video. However, I'd recommend giving this disc a chance. Quite a well-done recording......
post #36 of 43 Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I had the house to myself last nite and listened to tracks 1,2 & 9 REALLY LOUD. This is a really good 'metal' recording and just a great hi-rez surround disk in general.

Also, I see the Blu-ray 'Live at Luna Park' is going for $14 on amazon...

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #37 of 43 Old 02-05-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

I had the house to myself last nite and listened to tracks 1,2 & 9 REALLY LOUD. This is a really good 'metal' recording and just a great hi-rez surround disk in general.

Also, I see the Blu-ray 'Live at Luna Park' is going for $14 on amazon...
I have Luna Park, it's pretty good. The "new" drummer Mangini sadly stands out as tired and behind the curve visually speaking, his drumming is fine, but he lacks the energy and the showmanship of Portnoy. YMMV.
In any case let's hope DT will bring more albums in Hi-rez surround into the market new or old.

The Hun
post #38 of 43 Old 02-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have the new DT disc and found it to be quite tasty. The surround is excellent and used to almost perfection. The playing by the band is really really good on this disc and their new drummer is just excellent. As far as the OPPO issue, never had a problem with this disc playing on mine.

As others have said...Highly recommended.
post #39 of 43 Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Now we can only hope they continue this trend with future albums. Going back and remixing their existing albums for high res 5.1 would be just fine by me.

Another fine 5.1 rock album was Queensryche's Empire, I like that a lot. Tribe is good but the band changed quite a bit since the glory days so I didn't like the songs in general anywhere near as much. It's to bad when Empire was mixed for 5.1 they didn't do Operation Mind Crime, Rage for Order and The Warning.
Shadocal likes this.

post #40 of 43 Old 02-06-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am liking the new 5.1 album, wish the older stuff was remixed in this format.

I have Empire as well, and it's okay, not the biggest Queensryche fan; except for their original EP.

As far as surround goes, Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson seems to be the best around - by a long shot.

Chris
post #41 of 43 Old 02-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I have Luna Park, it's pretty good. The "new" drummer Mangini sadly stands out as tired and behind the curve visually speaking, his drumming is fine, but he lacks the energy and the showmanship of Portnoy. YMMV..

DT is on US tour and we're looking forward to seeing them in April wink.gif
post #42 of 43 Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumps View Post

As far as surround goes, Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson seems to be the best around - by a long shot.

Chris

Yeah I have a feeling that Steven would have done this mix differently, but of course the band would have final saying. The one issue I have with this album's mix, is that vocals are a bit buried , yet it kind of "floating" and not grounded to the center. Steven puts his vocals largely into the center channel, I prefer that. YMMV.

The Hun
post #43 of 43 Old 02-27-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
John Petrucci is producing the Dream Theatre albums now. I wish someone else was doing it, perhaps to push the band in new directions a little bit. While I've never meet a DT album I didn't like on some level, their last several have sounded somewhat similar. Some guy named Richard Chycki did the mix and I'll assume the 5.1 mix as well. Apparenlty he as worked with RUSH, Aerosmith, and others in the past.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Reply Surround Music Formats