Saint-Saens Organ Symphony#3 SACD Multichannel?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I was looking on SACD.net for the Saint Saens Organ Symphony #3 on SACD Multichannel and they seem to have quite a few to choose from..

I, have the Pressing w/ Latry, Eschenbach but was not too impressed with it.

I, am looking for a Really good recording of this title with a recent recording Hopefully one that was DSD..

Does not have to be and since there are so many to choose from I was looking for some reccomendations for a Good Quality recording of this title on SACD in MultChannel..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-17-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmm Crickets thought I would get a recommendation or two.. Well I am leaning towards this disk:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AINGC/?tag=sacdinfocom-20

post #3 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 06:48 AM

Liked: 11
Actually, I think the disc you have is the best one. I also own the Pentatone you linked and would not recommend it.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

Hey I was looking on SACD.net for the Saint Saens Organ Symphony #3 on SACD Multichannel and they seem to have quite a few to choose from..

I, have the Pressing w/ Latry, Eschenbach but was not too impressed with it.

What's wrong with it? Most people, including me, are pleased with both the sound and the performance.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

What's wrong with it? Most people, including me, are pleased with both the sound and the performance.

WEll I have the Telarc CD of this recording now that seems fine abit being a CD.. The Low end on it really shakes the foundations of the house..

Now when I play the Hi Rez Version I do NOT get much in the Low End.. Now I posted before years ago about this and every body kept saying I have Bass Management issues..

Now I am no idiot but I believe I have my Marantz 4001 Setup just fine.. As for the bass management it was not really rocket science and I don't see what could be wrong with my settings?? I tried Cranking the .1 channel up and I did that years ago where I have the fronts lowered and the .1 channel at it's highest level kinda reversed the settings and have more on the .1 Channel.. but it is like 10db higher then the mains..

Now years ago I just said it was probally my Subwoofer if it could be called that it was a VTF-1 not very good but was OK.. Now I can not say it is my Subwoofer as I played it as soon as I setup my NEW DIY Sub an Mach 5 IXL 18.2 18" Driver and 10L cabinet with a Behringer DSP NU 3000 Amp..

Now perhaps you can enlighten me and perhaps something is amiss but I have tried countless things and the Low End on the SACD is simply NOT there.. the Recording sounds fine besides the Organ low end parts where with the CD low end it just Shakes the walls..

post #6 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweltman View Post

Actually, I think the disc you have is the best one.

Ditto. It's an amazing performance and the sound quality is great, a classic SACD. Maybe something is wrong with your system.

R
post #7 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

Ditto. It's an amazing performance and the sound quality is great, a classic SACD. Maybe something is wrong with your system.

R

OK, I'm game where would I start?? Basic things to check??

Like I said all my other disks perform as expected except this SACD of Organ Symphony.. Why would all my other disks work and this one doesn't??

I must stress the BASS end is lacking..

post #8 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

R

OK, I'm game where would I start?? Basic things to check??

Like I said all my other disks perform as expected except this SACD of Organ Symphony.. Why would all my other disks work and this one doesn't??

I must stress the BASS end is lacking..

There is a CD that comes with Hsu subs that has what I think you are looking for. Here is the info for that track:

1. Saint-Saëns: Organ Symphony, excerpt from second movement (Poco Adagio)
WARNING: When playing this track for the first time, lower the volume, as your woofers may be at risk. The bottom octave of this recording may damage vented or planar loudspeakers. (The opening string passage should be quite soft.) Boston Civic Symphony conducted by Max Hobart, James David Christie, organist. Two AKG 414 ORTF cardioids, about the third row in Boston’s Jordan Hall, spring 1983. This was one of the last times that the Jordan Hall organ, already showing signs of serious asthma, was heard in a public performance. [Micha Schattner]
This recording has the strongest and cleanest 16Hz of any recording I have come across. It's ideal for showing off the TN1220HO. [Dr. Hsu]

I believe that it may be available at the Boston Audio Society site: www.bostonaudiosociety.org

Hope this helps!
post #9 of 9 Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post

There is a CD that comes with Hsu subs that has what I think you are looking for. Here is the info for that track:

1. Saint-Saëns: Organ Symphony, excerpt from second movement (Poco Adagio)
WARNING: When playing this track for the first time, lower the volume, as your woofers may be at risk. The bottom octave of this recording may damage vented or planar loudspeakers. (The opening string passage should be quite soft.) Boston Civic Symphony conducted by Max Hobart, James David Christie, organist. Two AKG 414 ORTF cardioids, about the third row in Boston’s Jordan Hall, spring 1983. This was one of the last times that the Jordan Hall organ, already showing signs of serious asthma, was heard in a public performance. [Micha Schattner]
This recording has the strongest and cleanest 16Hz of any recording I have come across. It's ideal for showing off the TN1220HO. [Dr. Hsu]

I believe that it may be available at the Boston Audio Society site: www.bostonaudiosociety.org

Hope this helps!

Yes I have that CD. But it is Only a few minutes of it and NOT the entire Symphony.. I am looking for a Multichannel recording with similar bass effect of the Telarc CD Recording..

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page