New Zeppelin remasters will NOT be in surround. - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I'm gonna order the 180 vinyl and the Deluxe Edition download - total cost of $64.96 per album. If a MCH comes out at some point, I would be on that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had ordered the CD's (Deluxe CD Editions), and should be getting them today (if the Hammer of the Gods are smiling on me). Even though I'm a huge Led Zep fan, I'm also a fan of both the environment, and my money. I guess I could've re-sold the LP's, but why should I be bothered to do that?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing them... hopefully tonight!
Old 06-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I pre-ordered with Amazon -- and got all three disks (Deluxe Editions) on Monday.

I have only listened through Led Zeppelin (1) so far. In my mind it sounds a lot better. To be honest -- I never noticed the spacing so much before -- but it seems to me that they really loaded up Plant on the stage left and Page on stage right. Really apparent on "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You". I think Page played with stereo balance and imaging to make it seem more like the band is in the room with you.

My very humble. initial $0.02.

My Bargain Basement Theater
Old 06-06-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Zep 1 Super Deluxe box arrived today. 6 1/2 friggen pounds. eek.gif

I'll probably use the DL card after the initial rush is over. It's probably insane trying to do it right now. The only real reason to get the box, if you're not into vinyl is the book. It really is neat, with lots of pics and early news clippings. It's funny to see how shy Plant was in the earliest photos. He looked scared which he pretty much stated in later interviews. Good to see he got over it. wink.gif

Is the box worth $100? It guess it depends on how much you love Zep 1.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Not music, just ran into this for first time: Led Zeppelin: You Shook Me, 4 DVDs on the history/background of Led Zeppelin. Amazon has it for $35 but no description. I'll probably wait to see some reviews. Too many times some of these documentary type discs contain some awful so called "rock historians" or whatever and they're painful to watch.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 06-07-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It would be a nice find but being dvd means there concerts im sure. The next guy might like them but myself I find Led Zeppelin mixes up there music to much at concerts for my liking..Plus I always extract my music from the disc and extracting concert dvd's just confuses the software it has a hard time figuring were to split each song into tracks with all the back ground sounds of the audience ..But because of this don't get me wrong I love Led Zeppelin
Old 06-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Yea, I guess with 4 hours of content one would think there would be some concert footage. Or it's a pretty detailed documentary!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Rather than the deluxe CD versions, I would prefer to get the 96/24 FLAC files when available. My assumption is that these could be burned onto a DVD, or played on iTunes through Airplay on my Denon receiver, and it would sound better than a 44/16 redbook CD.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
Rather than the deluxe CD versions, I would prefer to get the 96/24 FLAC files when available. My assumption is that these could be burned onto a DVD, or played on iTunes through Airplay on my Denon receiver, and it would sound better than a 44/16 redbook CD.
They are on HD Tracks. Got Zep 2 and it sounds really good.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsy1958 View Post
Kind of makes no sense at all..If your going to do a remaster specially of Led Zeppelin you'd think it would be 5.1.
You are confusing remastering with remixing.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 06-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
And they are pricey! Nearly double the cost of the deluxe CDs. For that price we should get HFPA Blu-Ray discs. This is foolish marketing by the suits as it will drive this to file-sharing sites, when they could have sold more with Blu-Ray audio.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
And they are pricey! Nearly double the cost of the deluxe CDs. For that price we should get HFPA Blu-Ray discs. This is foolish marketing by the suits as it will drive this to file-sharing sites, when they could have sold more with Blu-Ray audio.
Agree not cheap at least last weekend they had a 10% off sale. I opted for just the album not the deluxe version saved a couple of bucks. Blu ray would have made more sense shame Page didn't offer them.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Has anyone compared the HD DL's to the CD? I've only heard they sound no better than the CD versions. I'm curious if anyone around here has any thoughts.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Has anyone compared the HD DL's to the CD? I've only heard they sound no better than the CD versions. I'm curious if anyone around here has any thoughts.
Over at the Steve Hoffman Forums they have separate threads for each format with much good (and bad) discussion. There is some talk of how they all compare to one another in each of those threads. Of course, still, take it all with a grain of salt.

CD:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...format.358818/

Hirez:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...format.358820/

Vinyl:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...format.358819/

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
Quote:
Over at the Steve Hoffman Forums they have separate threads for each format with much good (and bad) discussion. There is some talk of how they all compare to one another in each of those threads. Of course, still, take it all with a grain of salt.

CD:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...format.358818/

Hirez:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...format.358820/

Vinyl:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...format.358819/

Thanks. I'm a member over there and have posted in a number of the Zeppelin threads. That's one of the forums I've seen where some people have said the CD's and DL's sound the same. I was wondering if anyone in AVS has compared them.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That's one of the forums I've seen where some people have said the CD's and DL's sound the same.
Heh. Was it in the CD thread or the HD thread? Because I got a different impression from reading the HD thread.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Heh. Was it in the CD thread or the HD thread? Because I got a different impression from reading the HD thread.

Like you said, a grain of salt. I can't keep up with all the threads over there, there's probably 9 very active ones on the new Zep releases. In fact, I didn't log on for 3 days and missed 32 pages of one of the Zep threads I was following!

Lets face it, people are going to defend their purchases so you'll hear more positives on the DL thread than the CD thread and vice versa. If you purchase the DL's separately it supposedly costs $30. Some vendors were selling all 3 deluxe CD editions for the same price. I haven't made any determination either way which sounds better. The traffic is still intense for the DL's so I can wait. OTOH, the vinyl sounds better than the CD, IMO. It's less bright and has a more solid bass on LZI. In fact, I'm thinking of just getting the rest of the releases in vinyl.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If you purchase the DL's separately it supposedly costs $30.
If you can forgo the "bonus material", you can do it for less. Personally, I don't have a problem skipping the extra tracks. But I know some people love that kinda stuff.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you can forgo the "bonus material", you can do it for less. Personally, I don't have a problem skipping the extra tracks. But I know some people love that kinda stuff.

Have you heard the downloads?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Have you heard the downloads?
not the extra tracks

Old 06-24-2014, 08:42 PM

I just read the articial and I noticed something that Led Zeppelin is good for and that is changing things up, meaning new versions of there music and myself I'm not a fan of that they should have stayed totally original .
Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I only got LZ III.

I guess it can be called the 1994 remaster although it was done before that it's just that's when the single CD version was released.
Anyways I think the 1994 version sounds better more dynamic,more natural sounding especially in the acoustic songs, more air, more snap.

The 2014 doesn't sound bad it's just louder (more compressed). I know some people are saying the bass is so much better.
The bass thing can easily fix like turning up the bass on a knob on a amp.
If the bass is sounding weak.

I guess for some people the 2014 version will sound better.On my end the 1994 remasters sounds better.
The compression isn't too bad on the 2014 version but compared to 1994 version on the song Bron Y Aur Stomp at the 0:37 mark where the drum kicks in the dynamic punch of 94 version is lost in 2014 version.
Also on the song Tangerine at 1:40 mark the dynamic punch of the 94 version is lost in the 2014 version.

The 2014 version isn't horrible compression but it's there and I know some people will like this new version better as it probably sounds better on their equipment and that's fine and all just pointing out some issues I have with the 2014 version.

I also know for headphone listeners sometimes a dynamic punch is never really heard.
Nothing like it is on a speaker so some people won't have any issues.

Last edited by nothingspecial; 06-30-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm not a fan of multi-channel when the instruments surround the listener. If they took a classical music approach and used the front three speakers for the music (provides better spatial cues), the two rear for room sound, and a woofer output, then I'd be all over it.
eljr likes this.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post
I'm not a fan of multi-channel when the instruments surround the listener. If they took a classical music approach and used the front three speakers for the music (provides better spatial cues), the two rear for room sound, and a woofer output, then I'd be all over it.
No offence but I take it you never listen to your favourite music in true surround sound. I'm sure I speak for many I'll never go back to 2.0 and as far as your back speaker woofer set up, to each his own I guess.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I listen to about 99% classical music, and very few labels use the rear channels for actual instruments--they just reproduce the hall acoustics, which is the way one experiences live classical and most rock. I don't recall hearing instruments coming from the rear when I saw Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, etc.! (Never got to see LZ live.) Now, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer did use surround sound when I saw them in '74, but that's a rare exception. For the record, I can hardly stand 2.0 for classical music these days.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
not the extra tracks
i hate extra tracks

these are excellent, i'd buy them independent

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Zeppelin 4 and Houses Of the Holy are going to be released Oct. 24. I'm sure at least one is going to be a big seller.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Led-Zeppelin/products/2266/
Old 07-29-2014, 05:51 PM

What a waste ... Out of them all there is no 5.1. That's like a kick in the balls and drop me under a bus....bloody shame. I wonder who's stupid idea was that....piss me right off.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsy1958 View Post
What a waste ... Out of them all there is no 5.1. That's like a kick in the balls and drop me under a bus....bloody shame. I wonder who's stupid idea was that....piss me right off.
Yeah, they're simply new, digital remasters. That has always been clear. So, how would you expect to get 5.1 in a remaster?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 PM

Who care if they were clear about it, it's just the fact they didn't go out of there way and make it 5.1....what a waste no offence to anyone and this forum site but 2.0 suck.