Genesis albums to be released on Pure Audio Blu-ray - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post

I got BIA as well from Amazon.ca, I was looking at Night Train but it's sold by Amazon through a third party (now I have to pay shipping etc). I got Sixteen Sunsets from Amazon here as well as John Lennon's "Imagine". You might check out your local HMV, they do carry them, though you may have to order what you want. I got Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key Of Life" from a local HMV (in stock). But the short answer is no, not sure why the slow roll out. I don't think it's just Canada. I wanted Crime Of The Century as well but that got pulled before it got issued a while back. Perhaps there's quality issues, the ones I have have been hit and miss for audio quality. I like the concept of pure audio blu-ray, but the delivery has been less than stellar to date.

Thanks for the feedback. When I asked HMV about the Breakfast in America Pure Audio disk before Christmas, the guy looked at me like I had a third eye. The guy went away and came back after 10 minutes and said they could order it but it may take a while. It didn't look promising so I went the Amazon.ca route. Its good to hear though that HMV is attempting to bring in some of them. By the way where did HMV keep the Stevie Wonder disk,,,with the CD's or blu ray concert discs?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I've never listened to the DVDs only the SACDs. The DVDs are not DVD-As and are not in a lossless audio format. So I would think that the SQ of the SACDs would be somewhat better than the DVDs.

Bill

True. The SACD's are generally considered to be sonically superior. But that's still not saying much.
post #33 of 49 Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

True. The SACD's are generally considered to be sonically superior. But that's still not saying much.

I doubt there would be much in it if they came from the same masters. These Genesis discs SACD/DVD sets are not amongst the best sound quality anyway. Still I should have ripped my Genesis SACDs when I had my PS3 with SACD drive. Too late now, although I did do my last purchase: Selling England by the Pound. I must do a DR analysis...)

Lots of people do generally regard SACD as a superior format but an SACD release does not guarantee best audio. The mastering is the critical stage. Some recent remastered discs (both SACDs and HFPA Blu-rays) are a downgrade on past releases due to poor mastering selections.
post #34 of 49 Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:

I've never listened to the DVDs only the SACDs. The DVDs are not DVD-As and are not in a lossless audio format. So I would think that the SQ of the SACDs would be somewhat better than the DVDs.

Bill

I remember I compared a couple discs when I first bought them a 2 or 3 years back and thought there wasn't much between them. However, as I discovered later, I was playing my SACDs via my Oppo 95 analogue outs and all other digital via HDMI, both ultimately to an Arcam AVR600 driving B&W 802Ds and Focal rears. The digital signals were being Room EQ'ed. Which meant it wasn't an equal shoot out. Room EQ definitely improves the sound in my large room of 6.5 x 6.5m with two subs being bass managed too. (Tested with same blu-ray audio on analog and HDMI outs with same amp etc later)
post #35 of 49 Old 02-04-2014, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Bill
I picked up A trick of the Tail from a bargain bin in Barnes and Noble that is a two disc set, CD and DVD and the DVD is listed as 5.1 DVD Audio. I know there is confusion a lot of time with DVD Audio. I haven't listened to it yet. Is it just 5.1 surround sound that's not lossless or the real deal. I have to admit I don't know much about the Genesis remasters. One reason I picked this disc up was because it was cheap and if I was getting beat I wasn't getting beat for much money.
post #36 of 49 Old 02-04-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

I picked up A trick of the Tail from a bargain bin in Barnes and Noble that is a two disc set, CD and DVD and the DVD is listed as 5.1 DVD Audio. I know there is confusion a lot of time with DVD Audio. I haven't listened to it yet. Is it just 5.1 surround sound that's not lossless or the real deal. I have to admit I don't know much about the Genesis remasters. One reason I picked this disc up was because it was cheap and if I was getting beat I wasn't getting beat for much money.

Ace,

It might be listed as "DVD-Audio" due to lack of video material although I thought the Genesis CD/DVD releases had video on them. But either way the DVDs are not actual DVD-As and only have lossy DD or DTS IIRC. If the set was cheap then it is well worth it IMO.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #37 of 49 Old 02-04-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Ace,

It might be listed as "DVD-Audio" due to lack of video material although I thought the Genesis CD/DVD releases had video on them. But either way the DVDs are not actual DVD-As and only have lossy DD or DTS IIRC. If the set was cheap then it is well worth it IMO.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Yes there is video on the DVD. I thought this was similar to the Nightfly Trilogy in that it was a step up from stereo with the 5.1 mix but not quite hi rez, hopefully I can get a chance to give it a spin this weekend in between snow storms.
post #38 of 49 Old 02-04-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

The DVDs do contain video and contain DTS 96/24 which can sound damn good with the right material (e.g Queen night at the Opera)

You may be interested in this poll: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/poll.php?pollid=631&do=showresults

And this info on Dynamic Range showing the SACD versions (2007 remasters) have worse DR compared to other releases listed: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=Genesis+&search_album=Trick
post #39 of 49 Old 02-04-2014, 06:07 PM

I'm not holding out too much hope for SEBTP release. It will be interesting to see hoe the master compares to these previous releases for DR:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=Genesis&search_album=Selling
post #40 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I just ordered mine from BS, $32 +change, ouch. Anyway have to have the surround version of this album. I have several of the SACD's from the Collins era and posted my impressions of them here at the time.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #41 of 49 Old 02-10-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Music Direct is selling the SACD/PAL DVD of this on closeout if anyone wants to compare it to the HFPA.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-8392-genesis-selling-england-by-the-pound-import-hybrid-sacd-43-dvd.aspx
post #42 of 49 Old 02-23-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Link says they are gone now.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #43 of 49 Old 11-14-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bump for new updates.

I have all the Peter Gabriel era discs on 70's and early 80's vinyl, and although I always had a quality TT and cartridge (properly set up as well), I lived in a dusty part of California so they're pretty noisy.

I'd love to see someone go back and give these masterpieces the treatment they deserve, before the original tapes are dust.

Sony 60a3000, Denon 3802, Oppo 83, Toshiba HD-XA2, Tannoy Saturn 8's, Tannoy PS-350 sub, and some legacy stuff. Samsung PN51D530 Plasma & PS3 in the other room.
post #44 of 49 Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The problem is that in that era, the oil shortage was making record companies recycle vinyl. The records from that era are gritty because the grit is melted into the plastic from the old records they melted down to make it.
post #45 of 49 Old 11-16-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Try to find the '80's Japanese vinyl. Audiophile quality, and all my copies are still noise free.
post #46 of 49 Old 11-24-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
The problem is that in that era, the oil shortage was making record companies recycle vinyl. The records from that era are gritty because the grit is melted into the plastic from the old records they melted down to make it.
I worked in a record store in 79 - 81 and it was shocking how bad the mass produced stuff was. I was buying all the Mobile Fidelity and Nautilus I could afford, but a standard WEA or Columbia release was usually thin and warped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Try to find the '80's Japanese vinyl. Audiophile quality, and all my copies are still noise free.
I've got an UK import of Lamb (from the used bin at work...someone had become a born again Christian and unloaded all their devil music), and Japanese version of Nursey Crime, but Trick and Foxtrot are pretty bad.

Sony 60a3000, Denon 3802, Oppo 83, Toshiba HD-XA2, Tannoy Saturn 8's, Tannoy PS-350 sub, and some legacy stuff. Samsung PN51D530 Plasma & PS3 in the other room.
post #47 of 49 Old 11-25-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rox View Post

I've got an UK import of Lamb (from the used bin at work...someone had become a born again Christian and unloaded all their devil music), and Japanese version of Nursey Crime, but Trick and Foxtrot are pretty bad.

Are you talking about the quality of the recording or was the vinyl beat up?
post #48 of 49 Old 11-25-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Are you talking about the quality of the recording or was the vinyl beat up?
The quality of the vinyl.

post #49 of 49 Old 11-30-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rox View Post
The quality of the vinyl.

It always amazes me how people treat audiophile media when I go to the used record store. I've seen more used MFSL CD's and SACD's as well as some audiophile vinyl that could have been sold for a small fortune if it was taken care of. The worst is the condition of MFSL UHQR's. For something that cost $50 back in the 80's and commands $200 to over $1000 today, I've seen so much beat up crap that it boggles the mind. What did people go this stuff over the years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page