Surround Anticipations for 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 12-28-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How about helping to compile a list of what we have to look forward to in surround in the coming year...

Yes--whatever the next title is, sounds like we should get another one in 2014.

ELP--Brain Salad Surgery as a super deluxe box seems reasonable to expect..

Tull--another Steve Wilson mix?

King Crimson--another Belew period title?

Genesis on BluRay--already got it first time around...

That's a pretty short list...what else is there???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-30-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Some Hendrix would be nice.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #3 of 37 Old 12-30-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
XTC's Drums and Wires has been mentioned as having a release date in Spring of 2014.
post #4 of 37 Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I second the Hendrix. Any of his albums, but a special call out for either Electric Ladyland or Cry of Love.

Of course, it would be great to hear some Beatles (Rubber Soul or Revolver, or even Sgt. Pepper) in glorious surround.

Even a bit of Jefferson Airplane would be nice, although I doubt that's ever going to happen, even though they had released Volunteers in Quad. Or, even a cleaned up (and reasonably priced) Quad version of Santana Abraxas would be nice.
post #5 of 37 Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Yeah, some Jimi would be sublime but given the fact of who owns his catalog, remote doesn't come close to describing that possibility.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #6 of 37 Old 01-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Now that the Hendrix estate is close to scraping the bottom of the barrel (sorry if that offends anyone, but the last couple of releases have more than a few tracks that are for the "hard core" fans), maybe they'll see surround as another revenue stream.
post #7 of 37 Old 01-03-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Sure hope 2014 brings us a new Porcupine Tree release *fingers crossed*
post #8 of 37 Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Steven Wilson will release another solo album in 2014 but no chance of a new PT album. A PT Blu-ray Audio or Video (special edition of old album) would be the best we can hope for I think, but he hinted 'rights issues' could hold up 'In Absentia' and 'Deadwing'. Can't remember where I read that though.
post #9 of 37 Old 01-04-2014, 10:50 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJau View Post

Can't remember where I read that though.

Direct from the source: 2014 NEW YEAR UPDATE FROM STEVEN WILSON, including "...several more classic album stereo / 5.1 remixes, including the next in the series by XTC, Jethro Tull, and Yes".
post #10 of 37 Old 01-05-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steven Wilson will release another solo album in 2014 but no chance of a new PT album.

I haven't followed news of PT...why is there no chance?
post #11 of 37 Old 01-05-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
AFAIK, Passion Play is still the next Tull, done by SW.

Who knows when ELP BSS is coming out. Wasn't it supposed to be out by now?

I've been sworn to secrecy about the next Crimson but it's going to be a surprise. That's if Mr Fripp doesn't change his mind again.

Chris Squire's Fish out of Water also was originally supposed to be out by now but there has been no word for a long time. Squire is a notorious slowpoke.
post #12 of 37 Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

[/B]

I haven't followed news of PT...why is there no chance?

Steven Wilson is currently playing and composing with his solo band and no plans to create new material with PT at this stage.
post #13 of 37 Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steven Wilson is currently playing and composing with his solo band and no plans to create new material with PT at this stage.

As much as I like SW's solo work, I sure wish he could find time for PT among all his other projects. It's been almost 5 years since The Incident.

I thought I had somewhere that Anathema's new release would be in surround. I would hope so since their last two in surround have been outstanding.
post #14 of 37 Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As for Tull albums, I'd rather see them go backward in time to Benefit. Listening to Passion Play years later, I don't find it to be a very coherent, musical or exciting piece of work. And this is coming from a fan who finds new pleasures in Thick as a Brick every time I've listened over the last 30+ years.
post #15 of 37 Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

As for Tull albums, I'd rather see them go backward in time to Benefit. Listening to Passion Play years later, I don't find it to be a very coherent, musical or exciting piece of work. And this is coming from a fan who finds new pleasures in Thick as a Brick every time I've listened over the last 30+ years.

Agree, Benefit would be my pick for the next Tull. Although I've read that SW has wanted to do Passion Play in surround for some time, to me it just doesn't hold up very well over the years. Passion Play sounds very much like 70's prog, while Thick as a Brick is timeless.

edit: ^^Sorry, I wrote Benefit, but I meant to say Stand Up. Of course, Benefit has already had a surround remix in 2013 for the Collector's Edition.
post #16 of 37 Old 01-06-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How could I have missed the surround remix of Benefit? Anyone know the best place to get it? I also hope it doesn't contain the same flaws that the first release of TAAB had.
post #17 of 37 Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:

How could I have missed the surround remix of Benefit? Anyone know the best place to get it?

The best place for the Benefit - A Collector's Edition (2cd/1dvd) would be the Burning Shed Jethro Tull / Ian Anderson section. You get to support the artist/mixmeister and Burning Shed's customer service is top notch.

I gave up gently harassing them about identifying DVD-A and DVD-V titles in their listings after providing detailed information on how to do so.
scolumbo likes this.
post #18 of 37 Old 01-06-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also hope it doesn't contain the same flaws that the first release of TAAB had.

No such worries. Although it's a lossy DVD-V, it doesn't have the flaws of the first Thick as a Brick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post

The best place for the Benefit - A Collector's Edition (2cd/1dvd) would be the Burning Shed Jethro Tull / Ian Anderson section. You get to support the artist/mixmeister and Burning Shed's customer service is top notch.

Most definitely. An example of Burning Shed's excellent customer service is how they handled the replacement of Thick as a Brick. Didn't have to do anything, BS just sent a replacement to all their customers that had ordered it.

Quote:
I gave up gently harassing them about identifying DVD-A and DVD-V titles in their listings after providing detailed information on how to do so.

At least Burning Shed gets the descriptions right more often than Amazon and some of the others. It's usually the first place I'll check if I'm unsure, esp. when you see descriptions like "DVD Audio" on Amazon when they mean DVD-V.
post #19 of 37 Old 01-06-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Doctor O-

did you score yourself a copy of the YES SACD box set?
post #20 of 37 Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The upcoming HFPA releases are supposed to contain more surround mixes in the future. Nothing will be changed from the existing releases. It may be possible to pick up some stuff in surround that's been long OOP, instead of paying the insane prices these things are selling for on the internet.
acebreathe likes this.
post #21 of 37 Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Auro Technologies press release 7 January 2014 (link):
Quote:
"LAS VEGAS, 7 January 2014 – After the successful introduction of its technology in the digital cinema market, Auro Technologies announces the introduction of the immersive Auro-3D® audio experience into the consumer electronics market. [. . .]

Over . . . 100 music albums recorded in the Auro-3D® format . . . will be released in the course of 2014. [. . .]"

Of course most of the albums are probably classical . . . and are likely recorded and authored for multiple format playback in a similar manner to REMOTE GALAXY by Flint Juventino Beppe (link) on the 2L label.

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #22 of 37 Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Steven Wilson will release another solo album in 2014 but no chance of a new PT album. A PT Blu-ray Audio or Video (special edition of old album) would be the best we can hope for I think, but he hinted 'rights issues' could hold up 'In Absentia' and 'Deadwing'. Can't remember where I read that though.

I already have those two on DVD-A; two of the best sounding surround mixes I own.

Chris
post #23 of 37 Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
For anyone who's interested, there are some video's with Wilfried Van Baelen talking about his Auro-3D technology over on the Auro-3D web site.

I recently purchased the Trondheim Solistene Souvenir Blu-ray audio disc which offers five tracks encoded using 9.1 channel Auro-3D. Sadly, I don't have the necessary equipment to decode the Auro-3D height layer (and to be honest it's not my kind of music), I'm just interested in his surround sound technology wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #24 of 37 Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Should we see Pink Floyd The Wall?
post #25 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

Unfortunately I don't think so, if we were getting a surround mix it most likely would have come when they were doing, what were they called, the immersion or experience editions?

post #26 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Doctor O-

did you score yourself a copy of the YES SACD box set?

No...the reviews on the Hoffman forum did not convince me to take the plunge...of course it's hard to know what to make of some of those posts..
post #27 of 37 Old 01-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Nil

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

Agree, Benefit would be my pick for the next Tull. Although I've read that SW has wanted to do Passion Play in surround for some time, to me it just doesn't hold up very well over the years. Passion Play sounds very much like 70's prog, while Thick as a Brick is timeless.

I am with Steven Wilson on this. To me Passion Play is Tull's magnum opus. There is some amazing sax on it and side 2 (following that silly interlude about the hare) is just exquisite. To my surprise it was TAAB that didn't age as well for me, considering how much I had played it in my youth. I eagerly look forward to the Passion Play release. With any luck Too Old To Rock And Roll will follow.
post #28 of 37 Old 01-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Nil

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I've been sworn to secrecy about the next Crimson but it's going to be a surprise. That's if Mr Fripp doesn't change his mind again.

Dare I have the Power To Believe?
post #29 of 37 Old 01-13-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Dare I have the Power To Believe?

I believe you will be surprised. biggrin.gif
post #30 of 37 Old 01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

I have seen a few interviews where James Guthrie has said that there will be a SACD with a 5.1 mix of the Wall. He just couldn't give any time frame for the release. I just did a quick search for the most recent interview with James Guthrie where he mentions the Wall SACD but I couldn't find it.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page