Foobar SACD plugin PCM samplerate - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.
I got my pc hooked up via hdmi to a Marantz sr5005 receiver. I am using foobar to play DST64 and DSD64 files. I have some questions regarding the PCM samplerate and also the DSD2PCM decoding mode I should use to get the best sound quality. I am currently using a samplerate of 176400 Hz and I use Multistage (floating-point) to decode the DSD/DST files.
People complain about a certain high frequency noise while using such a high samplerate and the multistage floating point decoding option. I am not experiencing this, at least I dont think so. What is this high frequency noise? A hissing sound like when you are playing a vinyl? I listened to Beck Sea Change SACD, Queen A Night At The Opera SACD, Roger Waters The Wall Berlin SACD, both Pink Floyd SACDs, Nick Drake Treasury SACD, Dire Strats Brothers In Arms SACD. Everything seems to be in order. Am I doing things right?
Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 233
24/88.2 is generally considered the "proper" PCM conversion for DSD. A SACD player uses a digital roll-off above 30-40KHz to eliminate the inherent noise from DSD. I can't say if the Foobar plugin does the same. In any case, using the 88.2 sample rate helps in this regard. Also good to note that a 176.4 sample rate gains you nothing over 88.2.
In the case of a PC, the sound card might have its own limitations, or video card if that's your source for HDMI. The only way to know what you're getting is via your processor, which should have a signal info display. Point being that you might not be getting what you think and could even be forcing additional conversion. You need to know the limitations of all the parts in the chain.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-30-2014, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Also good to note that a 176.4 sample rate gains you nothing over 88.2.
I didn't know this is the case. Then there is no disadvantage in using a samplerate of 88.2 khz, so that's what I'll do.
I am using an Asus G73JH laptop and, indeed, the hdmi comes from the video card (ati 5870m). The processor is an intel i7 720qm. How can I verify if the processor is doing unnecessary conversions? The Marantz receiver displays PCM 88.2 Khz, exactly the same as foobar.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 233
If the AVR reports its receiving 88.2, that's all that matters.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page