Need Blu Ray player for audio purposes (i.e. Blu Ray Pure Audio) - does it matter which player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to purchase a new Blu Ray player to use strictly for Blu Ray audio. Do any players offer any distinct features that would make them better for Blu Ray audio? Amy recommendations greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-22-2014, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Do you have a receiver or processor/amp that can decode high res formats or with DACS that can handle 24bit/192kHz via HDMI connections? If not then you will need a blu-ray player with internal decoding and DACs and analog outputs.

If you are interested in other high res formats and don't already own a SACD or DVD-Audio player then I'd recommend looking at an Oppo BDP-103 or 105 which play all HD formats and have a great feature sets (e.g. Plays high res FLAC files, have HDMI inputs etc)
post #3 of 13 Old 02-22-2014, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

I just bought a Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2 receiver. I think it does all of that, correct?

And yes, definitely want the player to support SACD and DVD-A as well. That Oppo looks amazing. Are there any lower end players that can do all of that?
post #4 of 13 Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Zone View Post

I just bought a Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2 receiver. I think it does all of that, correct?

And yes, definitely want the player to support SACD and DVD-A as well. That Oppo looks amazing. Are there any lower end players that can do all of that?
The last time I looked, the Pioneer BDP-450 (at around £200.00) offered both SACD or DVD-A playback. But I highly recommend the Oppo BDP-103 wink.gif

EDIT: The Marantz UD5007 (at around £300.00) and Denon DBT1713UD (at around £200.00) also support SACD or DVD-A playback.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Zone View Post

Are you going HDMI or analogue? I own the Oppo 103 and really like it, but if you're looking for cheaper you might check out the Sony 790. Plays SACD and, according to a few things I've read will now play DVD-A as well after a firmware update. It's about half the price of the 103, but if you're going to go analogue, it will only do stereo.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-23-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd be shocked if any Sony played DVD-A - there never has been Sony support for that format at any price range.

I hate all this downtime in between drafts...(unidentified Lions loyalist '2004)
post #7 of 13 Old 02-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyLions View Post

I'd be shocked if any Sony played DVD-A - there never has been Sony support for that format at any price range.

My mistake, you'd be correct. I read that someone had been playing their DVD-As via the 790, but I see nothing in Sony's firmware updates to support that ever happening, and it's more likely this:

"It doesn't support DVD Audio. Most DVD Audio discs have a 5.1 soundtrack (DTS or DD) that means the disc can be played in most DVD players but you won't be able to listen to the high resolution DVD Audio layer of the disc without having a dedicated player."

The S790 may not be an option for the OP if he/she has a pile of DVD-As and wants to get the most out of them.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 PM

post #9 of 13 Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM

SACD is a Sony format. DVD-A is a competing format. Sony players will never support DVD-A.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenkid View Post

SACD is a Sony format. DVD-A is a competing format. Sony players will never support DVD-A.

Never say never. Everyone thought Sony music would never release anything in dvd-a format either, but SW's ELP re-mixes proved that wrong. Since Sony has given up on supporting their sacd format, they might someday incorporate dvd-a into a player. Unlikely, but you never know...
post #11 of 13 Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I does not look like music companies are producing and distributing content on DVD-A any more...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Never say never. Everyone thought Sony music would never release anything in dvd-a format either, but SW's ELP re-mixes proved that wrong. Since Sony has given up on supporting their sacd format, they might someday incorporate dvd-a into a player. Unlikely, but you never know...

So true. Never say never.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-25-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I does not look like music companies are producing and distributing content on DVD-A any more...

At least they're licensing some of their music to others so they can release it on dvd-a. Panegyric is an awesome label.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Roku Streaming Stick Bundle , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Denon 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Dbt 1713ud
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page