post #91 of 102 Old 03-31-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

No, but when I get a chance to I will do that. Dire straights BIA plays phenomenal in 5.1 so I must have the settings correct for audio.

If you are getting 5.1 with the BIA SACD then it sounds like the Sony is setup correctly. Do you recall which Living Stereo SACD you were listening to? If you could let me know I'll see if I have it and give it a spin tomorrow.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 03-31-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

If you are getting 5.1 with the BIA SACD then it sounds like the Sony is setup correctly. Do you recall which Living Stereo SACD you were listening to? If you could let me know I'll see if I have it and give it a spin tomorrow.

Bill

The 2 I listened to were:
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition, A Night on Bald Mountain, and Other Russian Showpieces
&
Richard Strauss: Symphonia Domestica by Fritz Reiner

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #93 of 102 Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I got those rca living stereo sacd's in today. I have a problem when I play receiver lights up 5.1 but I only hear sound front front 2 speakers, why is that? Maybe they are 2.0, not sure

The Living Stereo series are 2 or 3 channel recordings. So even if you choose the multichannel mix to play, you hear sounds from the front left and front right speakers (2 channel) or front left, right and centre speakers (3 channel). You have this information on the back cover. Your receiver lights up the 5.1 indicator because you chose to stream the multichannel mix from the player, and indeed it comes from the multichannel area of the sacd but the receiver has no means to determine how many active channels are mixed into the multichannel mix. For example when you play a Tomita sacd and choose the multichannel mix, your receiver's 5.1 indicator will light up but only 4 channels are active because it is a quad mix. The same is true for the multichannel mix of the Tubular Bells sacd. Perhaps there are receivers that can tell how many of the 5.1 channels are actually active in the mix on the sacd but my receiver (Marantz SR7001) can not .
Bill Mac likes this.
post #94 of 102 Old 04-01-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp2600 View Post

The Living Stereo series are 2 or 3 channel recordings. So even if you choose the multichannel mix to play, you hear sounds from the front left and front right speakers (2 channel) or front left, right and centre speakers (3 channel). You have this information on the back cover. Your receiver lights up the 5.1 indicator because you chose to stream the multichannel mix from the player, and indeed it comes from the multichannel area of the sacd but the receiver has no means to determine how many active channels are mixed into the multichannel mix. For example when you play a Tomita sacd and choose the multichannel mix, your receiver's 5.1 indicator will light up but only 4 channels are active because it is a quad mix. The same is true for the multichannel mix of the Tubular Bells sacd. Perhaps there are receivers that can tell how many of the 5.1 channels are actually active in the mix on the sacd but my receiver (Marantz SR7001) can not .

Thank for chiming in a making sense of this for me. I miss understood thinking all sacd's would be mixed in 5.1, now I now that is not the case.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #95 of 102 Old 04-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Thank for chiming in a making sense of this for me. I miss understood thinking all sacd's would be mixed in 5.1, now I now that is not the case.
Unfortunately a lot of newer SACD's, especially jazz, seem to be two channel. i know it's been mentioned before but a good reference point is SA-CD.net. There is a lot of info there that you may find useful especially if you are looking to build a collection.
tdogroeder likes this.
post #96 of 102 Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

Do any of you more Knowledgeable folks know if the album Spirit Chaser by Dead Can Dance is available on DVD-A or if there's a bluray? If neither of those are available is the hybrid SA-CD multi channel? I may just buy that and maybe in the future I'll end up with something that can play SA-CD's.

As a die-hard DCD fan, I have every disc they and Lisa ever released in as high rez a format as I can find, and unfortunately (so far) the best one can do with Spritchaser is the 2Ch SACD mix from seven years ago. So no, the SACD is strictly a high-rez remaster of the original stereo mix.

Would love to see that canon re-mastered to MCH and released on BluRay, I'd re-purchase every single title they released.
post #97 of 102 Old 04-07-2014, 10:11 AM

Liked: 17
post #98 of 102 Old 04-07-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

LOL, I really wish I understood this stuff...

I have excellent equipment - just really don't understand much of anything posted in this forum... tongue.gif

You are not alone HDTVAV! I just bought a sub woofer to add to my system. That led me to multi-channel, SCAD, DVD -A, Blu-ray Audio, etc., etc., etc., It would be very nice if there was a page somewhere that defined all of these different terms so we newbies could go and look up the meanings (sometimes going back to check more than once cause the old brain can only handle so much).

Because when I'm reading along, happily surfing these forums and run across something like "DTS on DVD can be 96/24 but at a maximum bit rate of 1510kbps and is not lossless. MLP is up to 96/24 and is lossless." REALLY?

Anyway... you and I are not completely newbieish.. Take for instance the phone call from my wife this morning after FedEx delivered my sub woofer. She was very excited and said, "Your wolf sound thing is here." Obviously she has no clue and could care less as long as it makes me happy (and doesn't cost a fortune!) I don't ask her about, or pretend to know anything about watercolors, acrylic and how many teeth a type of art paper has.

And so, happily, you and I and some others here are at least up one rung on this ladder of audiophilia.......rolleyes.gif

Samsung HL61A750
Harman Kardon AVR520
Oppo BDP-103
Dynaco A35 fronts
Wharfedale WH-2 Center with dipole rears
Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX sub
post #99 of 102 Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Paper... with teeth... You're having a laugh wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #100 of 102 Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I finally ordered this from 2L.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #101 of 102 Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Paper... with teeth... You're having a laugh wink.gif

No, apparently this is part of the makeup of good, better, best art paper... and more expensive I assume as you put more teeth into it.....biggrin.gif

Samsung HL61A750
Harman Kardon AVR520
Oppo BDP-103
Dynaco A35 fronts
Wharfedale WH-2 Center with dipole rears
Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX sub
post #102 of 102 Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm going to tell you what I was told when I first started to get into hi def 5.1 music is stay away from Sacd for several reasons. Main reason is you can't rip a sacd to your computer plus 90% of Sacd are in stereo and the main reason I don't have any sacd is your forced to play your disc's in a sacd player meaning you have to listen to the hole disc pose to sliding a couple songs to you media player over all Sacd is just a Royal pain.. So the way to go is DvD audio DTS or Blu Ray.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page