Pono - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Remember if there is one thing Apple is GREAT at it's convincing people they NEED something (although I do share some of your skepticism but just playing devil's advocate). For years Apple has been requiring studios to submit 24/96 masters. Apple is likely to offer millions of tracks on day one. Content is KING and HDtracks (or Pono) just can't offer anywhere near the choice. For instance on HDtracks right now the #1 rock album is a 1987 album by Joe Satriani (fine but Apple would offer all Billboard/mainstream). Add to that if Apple is successful then in no time Google and Amazon will start offering HD tracks. While Apple will likely hold the line on pricing (record companies dictate the price) Amazon and Google often offer subsided music to compete with Apple. It would be next to impossible for a mom and pop like HDtracks of Pono to compete with the big 3.

It would be in HDtracks best interest if Apple fails at promoting or better yet does't offer HD music. HDtracks and Pono can only be successful in a niche market.
The biggest issue with HDTracks is that the source\provenance of a lot of their content is unknown until someone downloads it and discovers it's an upsample.
As posted above Apple requires that iTunes downloads be the original source 24/88 or 24/96 from what I've read plus they have a ton of stuff that no one else has.
I for one would make iTunes my go to source along with Super-Hirez or any other place where I know what I'm paying for.
Why wouldn't I?
It doesn't necessarily have to be hi-res but paying a premium for upsampled content has a tendency to piss people off.

Plus the so-called search function on HDTracks is less than worthless.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I doubt that, the primary iTunes users are not hirez fans and users and vice versa. The only way HD track would suffer if the price would be way lower. Knowing Apple that's not gonna happen.
This isn't altogether true. Since there is no real hi rez content available on itunes anyone looking for hi rez that is a itunes user has to look elsewhere. They wouldn't need to come in at a lesser price necessarily. Just matching what HD Tracks sells for would do the trick.
eljr likes this.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Anyone here have one of these devices, even if it is a proto-type?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 3875
Will the Pono player offer an analog right/left RCA connection to play on your two channel analog system?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes (sort of). There is a mini stereo line out socket as well as the low impedance headphone jack.

No mini stereo to 2 x RCA adapter will be provided so in my case I'll buy something on the net to go directly from mini stereo to my amps stereo RCA, probably needs about 4ft approx.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJau View Post

Yes (sort of). There is a mini stereo line out socket as well as the low impedance headphone jack.

No mini stereo to 2 x RCA adapter will be provided so in my case I'll buy something on the net to go directly from mini stereo to my amps stereo RCA, probably needs about 4ft approx.

So mini stereo is a single line? like a headphone jack?

and I would simple buy this to plug into my preamp?

Or use the headphone jack to RCA stereo plug wire I already own?

Or are these the same thing?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

So mini stereo is a single line? like a headphone jack?

and I would simple buy this to plug into my preamp?

Your pic is correct. It is a 3.5mm (aka: ⅛" phone plug) TRS stereo plug. This plug is also used on most port. headphones. I would go with a higher quality cable than what is in your pic since we are talking about a premium player.

Here is a Monoprice that would do the trick.
eljr likes this.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

... and I would simple buy this to plug into my preamp?

Yes but use the Line-Out connection on the Pono to your preamp RCA inputs
eljr likes this.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 84
In the current issue of The Absoute Sound there is an interesting interview with Neil Young and John Hamm regarding Pono:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ceo-john-hamm/

Note: The interview is dated March but it is only now being published in print so this may be old news to some.

Last edited by WillyJ; 06-13-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone hear the excellent interview with neil young in cnbc? Young was talking about steve jobs and how he only listened to vinyl in his house. I love the pono idea, hope it can survive......
Old 10-15-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevo2u View Post
Anyone hear the excellent interview with neil young in cnbc? Young was talking about steve jobs and how he only listened to vinyl in his house. I love the pono idea, hope it can survive......

Pono has changed strayed from its original intent and is no longer a high-def environment.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 03-22-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 157
So did Apple started to offer Hi-Rez on iTunes yet ?

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Old 03-22-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
So did Apple started to offer Hi-Rez on iTunes yet ?
groupie?

Old 03-22-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
groupie?

The Hun
Old 04-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I came away impressed of the Pono after reading John Atkinson's review for last months Stereophile. He even liked it better than his Astell&Kern AK100 portable player ($899). Although he thought maybe it was due to the Pono's output impedance is less than 5 ohms compared with the AK's 22.5 ohms. They also added it to this years recommended product list.

Anyway, for $399 I think it's well worth a shot.
eljr likes this.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was the thread starter here (and it probably out to be moved to 2 channel since the surround location isn't proper). I was a Kickstarter backer and got one of the Dave Matthews limited edition chrome players. I paired it with a set of lower end Sennheiser headphones (HD598) and have been quite happy. But so far I haven't had time to place much content on the unit. One thing that is silly is that there is a blue LED that illuminates when you have bought the higher resolution material from Pono. If you buy the same resolution material from another source, your blue LED stays off!
Old 04-06-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andwhatnot View Post
I was the thread starter here (and it probably out to be moved to 2 channel since the surround location isn't proper). I was a Kickstarter backer and got one of the Dave Matthews limited edition chrome players. I paired it with a set of lower end Sennheiser headphones (HD598) and have been quite happy. But so far I haven't had time to place much content on the unit. One thing that is silly is that there is a blue LED that illuminates when you have bought the higher resolution material from Pono. If you buy the same resolution material from another source, your blue LED stays off!
where is this blue light?

I doubt I will ever buy anything from the Pono store but it came preloaded with 2 albums, should not they be blue? (Whatever this blue is you are talking about)

Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJau View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by eljr 

... and I would simple buy this to plug into my preamp?

Yes but use the Line-Out connection on the Pono to your preamp RCA inputs
what is the difference between the two?

Old 04-07-2015, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
RE. blue LED, it is between the 1/8 inch headphone jack and the line out connector. I should have also properly pointed out that it lights up when you play any music that was downloaded from the Pono store. It illuminates even for 16/44.1 files, so it is not an indication of a high res music file.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:02 AM

Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

I hope Apple will get progressive (not very Apple like though) and offer at least some 5.1 96/24 music. It could be a selling point for the next ATV and could be combined with 5.1 96/24 music videos, concerts and even main stream movies.
I don't believe iTunes will go 5.1 anytime soon. Clearly, the current effort is on re-branding a Beats-style streaming service. If we're lucky, we'll get lossless AAC file downloads.

However, anything goes for the rumored 2015 Apple TV refresh. With a new Apple TV app store, labels will be able to push premium album content, including 5.1 audio!

Jeff Perrin
Surround Recording Artist
Home Theater Ear Candy App - The world's first surround sound app-album!
http://AppStore.com/HomeTheaterEarCandy
Old 04-07-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPerrin View Post
I don't believe iTunes will go 5.1 anytime soon. Clearly, the current effort is on re-branding a Beats-style streaming service. If we're lucky, we'll get lossless AAC file downloads.
Actually, if it's 'lossless' you're more likely to get Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) placed within Apple's 'own named' .m4a container!

Lossless AAC (conforming to ISO/IEC 14496-3), which is also known as MPEG-4 SLS or HD-AAC is still 'under development'...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM

Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Actually, if it's 'lossless' you're more likely to get Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) placed within Apple's 'own named' .m4a container!
Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying!

Jeff Perrin
Surround Recording Artist
Home Theater Ear Candy App - The world's first surround sound app-album!
http://AppStore.com/HomeTheaterEarCandy
Old 04-09-2015, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a heads up on customer service issues

Luckily I got my pono from a dealer because I would have been even more furious otherwise. Upon the initial sync or transfer of files it froze after 42 songs. Could not add anymore it delete those initial 42. Called customer service and spent 45 minutes troubleshooting. Tried adding just one song, tried deleteing and starting over, reinstalled pono music world twice nothing worked so they escalated the ticket. 5 days go by with no response I finally have to call them and they have no answers other than we will send you a return label and we will fix your player, seriously ? It doesnt work out of the box I was expecting them to send me a replacement with a return label to send true faulty unit back. No supervisor to talk to and rep didn't seem to care that I was returning item to dealer and buying something else. Was excited about this product as I'm sure many are and I'm sure Its a great product when working and I'm small percentage of people with bad units but I don't care how good a product is when something goes wrong and the customer service is awful it doesn't matter if it's free
Old 04-12-2015, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I think Pono is more of an "idea" than a product and the company behind it really just wanna spread the word of gospel about HR. Apparently the store works with other DAPS too so no absolute reason to buy this player, unless you totally subscribe to Charley Hanson's audio topology.

The Hun
Old 04-12-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I think Pono is more of an "idea" than a product and the company behind it really just wanna spread the word of gospel about HR. Apparently the store works with other DAPS too so no absolute reason to buy this player, unless you totally subscribe to Charley Hanson's audio topology.
there is no need to buy any player so I don't see your point

Also, why would anyone set up a company to "spread the word?" Even religions who sell, "the word" are all about making money.

Lastly, what is Charley Hanson's audio topology that I apparently subscribe to?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
there is no need to buy any player so I don't see your point

Also, why would anyone set up a company to "spread the word?" Even religions who sell, "the word" are all about making money.

Lastly, what is Charley Hanson's audio topology that I apparently subscribe to?

Thanks
Well that's just it a lot us didn't see the point of this company and it's mission in the first place.
Do a search with Hanson's name you'll see.

The Hun
Old 04-12-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well that's just it a lot us didn't see the point of this company and it's mission in the first place.
Do a search with Hanson's name you'll see.
I think the point is to make money, like any company.

I think the point is to offer an upgraded DAC stressing lossless files for mobile consumption.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Oh, you are not familiar with Charley's audio topology either? Then why speak to it?

I honestly have no clue where you are coming from with these comments.

I guess my question becomes, why don't you like lossless?

Old 04-13-2015, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think the point is to make money, like any company.

I think the point is to offer an upgraded DAC stressing lossless files for mobile consumption.
No, their point is to go super high res without addressing the the fundamental problems of why digital music is where they are at and it has nothing to do with bit depth and sampling rates. Young blames lossy files and even CD's before that as the sole reason why digital music sounds bad. He simply ignores the content production/engineering side which is where the real problem is. Garbage in garbage out.

Quote:
Seems pretty obvious to me.
Is it now?

Quote:
Oh, you are not familiar with Charley's audio topology either? Then why speak to it?
I guess you too lazy to do your own home work, come back when you change your mind!

Quote:
I honestly have no clue where you are coming from with these comments.
Indeed, see your question below for example
Quote:
I guess my question becomes, why don't you like lossless?
Listen, my entire library is lossless/uncompressed. Also lots of MCH HR discs, which is why I'm on this forum. I Don't subscribe to any streaming services or have any lossy file on my phone or DAP and that was long before Young started his crusade. Now if only he used his influence to have the industry to produce records that aren't destroyed at the mastering stage, then a lot more people would have joined him not just the gullible ones who seemingly bought his scientifically wrong theory of why we need HR. Enjoy your Pono, it is a good player, so are the dozens that predated it.

The Hun

Last edited by thehun; 04-13-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, they point is to go super high res without addressing the the fundamental problems of why digital music is where they are and it has nothing to do with bit depth and sampling rates.

Is it now?

I guess you too lazy to do your own home work come back when you change your mind!

Indeed, you don't.

More cluelessness I guess, my entire library is lossless. Don't subscribe to any streaming services or have any lossy file on my phone or DAP and that was long before Young started his crusade. Now if only he used his influence to have the industry to produce records that aren't destroyed at the mastering stage, then a lot more people would have joined him not just the gullible ones who seemingly bought his scientifically wrong theory of why we need HR. March on!
now this is a downright insulting, unfriendly post.

Posts like this are generally rooted in defensive ignorance.

You seem to read much into things... what is this "scientifically wrong theory" Neil is pushing?

Or is this another lazy post that won't provide links?

BTW, I found it hysterical that a lazy poster, one who would not provide links to his assertions, calling another lazy. Rich.

Listen up and learn.

Pono is essentially an Ipod that plays lossless.

It's that simple.

Hope you now "get it."
-----------------------------------------------------

Off subject, here is a favorite quote of mine, enjoy!

Alex:
One thing I could never stand is to see a filthy old drunky howling away at the filthy
songs of his fathers and going Blerp Blerp in between as it might be a filthy old
orchestra in his stinking rotten guts. I could never stand to see anyone like that
whatever his age might be. But more especially when he was real old like this one was.

Last edited by eljr; 04-13-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement