Quadrophenia to be released in 5.1 as part of a 40th anniversary release - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #91 of 140 Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I received mine Monday but haven't had a chance to sit down with it. My favorite HFPA title as far as material goes, hopefully I'll be impressed by the 5.1 and the quality.

I had originally ordered at $25.18 and just got my credit down to $18.49 thanks to Amazon's Pre-order Price Guarantee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 140 Old 07-10-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Got this on Tuesday.
I think it's outstanding

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #93 of 140 Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Mine is defective. There is a molding problem on half of the outside of the disc, with a lot of jagged edges. I think it's throwing the balance of the disc off when it plays. Hopefully, Amazon still has some in stock.

Anyone else have a problem like this?
post #94 of 140 Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear that.
I felt around the edges of my copy and there were a couple of very small irregularities but mine plays fine so far.
I felt another DVD-A and it was no better or worse.
Just curious, mine had a sticker Made in France on the back while others had the same or Made in the EU when I asked on SHF.
Hope you get a quick turn around, I think the disc is fantastic and I haven't listened to the 5.1 yet!
I plan on doing a short A\B with the SHM-SACD but my initial impression of the BD was much better than I remember my initial impression being of the SHM-SACD but
you know how audio\video memory is, fleeting at best.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #95 of 140 Old 07-10-2014, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Mine is defective. There is a molding problem on half of the outside of the disc, with a lot of jagged edges. I think it's throwing the balance of the disc off when it plays. Hopefully, Amazon still has some in stock.

Mine will be here early next week. A member over at the Polk site said his wouldn't read, and has a new one coming from Amazon, didn't say anything about any physical problems though...
post #96 of 140 Old 07-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

Got mine on Tuesday but haven't gotten a chance to listen yet. Will definitely be checking it out later today. Don't know if it makes a difference but mine says made in France like Milt's. Will post back when I find out more.
post #97 of 140 Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine arrived today and I LOVE IT. I have given it a quick listen, but I plan to give it a careful study ASAP. So far, I'm thrilled with what I've heard. Such a great sounding disc. I can't speak to original vinyl pressings, or Japanese imports, but the different U.S. CDs I've heard of Quadrophenia have always left something to be desired. They seemed very thin. This HFPA disc is rich and robust. So many layers of sound that I've never heard were popping out. Not since the Dark Side of the Moon Blu-Ray have I been this surprised hearing something for the 100+ time... but really for the "1st time."

The 5.1 mix is great, as is, the full res stereo. My sympathies to anyone who got the director's cut. I know you spent a small fortune on that, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to have the complete masterpiece. Listening to this today, Quadrophenia officially took over the title of "Best Rock Opera by The Who." (IMHO.) If you enjoy it half as much as I did today, I think you will agree it is money well spent.

(Mine was made in the E.U.)
post #98 of 140 Old 07-11-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Sorry to hear that.
I felt around the edges of my copy and there were a couple of very small irregularities but mine plays fine so far.
I felt another DVD-A and it was no better or worse.
Just curious, mine had a sticker Made in France on the back while others had the same or Made in the EU when I asked on SHF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
Got mine on Tuesday but haven't gotten a chance to listen yet. Will definitely be checking it out later today. Don't know if it makes a difference but mine says made in France like Milt's. Will post back when I find out more.

Thanks guys. Mine was also made in France. Maybe they had a little too much wine for lunch when they made the blanks. Amazon already sent out a replacement so it should be here soon.

Edit. I just checked over at SHF. Someone else had the same problem with their copy.

Last edited by ti-triodes; 07-11-2014 at 03:34 PM.
post #99 of 140 Old 07-11-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry110 View Post
Mine arrived today and I LOVE IT. I have given it a quick listen, but I plan to give it a careful study ASAP. So far, I'm thrilled with what I've heard. Such a great sounding disc. I can't speak to original vinyl pressings, or Japanese imports, but the different U.S. CDs I've heard of Quadrophenia have always left something to be desired. They seemed very thin. This HFPA disc is rich and robust. So many layers of sound that I've never heard were popping out. Not since the Dark Side of the Moon Blu-Ray have I been this surprised hearing something for the 100+ time... but really for the "1st time."

The 5.1 mix is great, as is, the full res stereo. My sympathies to anyone who got the director's cut. I know you spent a small fortune on that, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to have the complete masterpiece. Listening to this today, Quadrophenia officially took over the title of "Best Rock Opera by The Who." (IMHO.) If you enjoy it half as much as I did today, I think you will agree it is money well spent.

(Mine was made in the E.U.)

It's always been my favorite, by far. I could never understand why Tommy got most of the buzz. The music on Quadrophenia is so much stronger IMO.

IIRC, the buyers of the box set are eligible to download the complete album in 5.1. I'm sure there's more info on SHF or QQ about this.
post #100 of 140 Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I still have a special place for Tommy but Quadrophenia is certainly high on the list.
NOW, if we could get Who's Next um next that would be something.
acebreathe likes this.

post #101 of 140 Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Thanks guys. Mine was also made in France. Maybe they had a little too much wine for lunch when they made the blanks. Amazon already sent out a replacement so it should be here soon.

Edit. I just checked over at SHF. Someone else had the same problem with their copy.
Glad to hear your new disc is on the way but disappointed that someone else had the same problem. Just when I thought the HFPA people were finally starting to get things right. Hope it's not widespread. Got a chance to listen to this today and it is great in both surround and high rez stereo. I like Tommy but I think Quad works better from start to finish. Have you ever seen the movie version? Criterion put out a blu ray version but I've yet to see it.
ti-triodes likes this.
post #102 of 140 Old 07-11-2014, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Received Quadrophenia: 1973 Studio Album (Blu-ray Pure Audio) earlier this week as promised (this time) from Amazon and it's excellent! I'm new to multi-channel discs, thanks to AVS Forums, and this is exactly the kind of sound I was hoping for. Have loved the album since the '70s and this sounds like it always should have to me. Clarity, separation and fine balance between all of the channels.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451

Last edited by DocCasualty; 07-11-2014 at 11:47 PM.
post #103 of 140 Old 07-13-2014, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
got mine yesterday...sounds fabulous...sticker says made in France btw...
this is what blu-ray audio was intended to be...listen up classic rockers and for
a good price and not having to pay $100 to get it.

<><

RTR
post #104 of 140 Old 07-13-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
Glad to hear your new disc is on the way but disappointed that someone else had the same problem. Just when I thought the HFPA people were finally starting to get things right. Hope it's not widespread. Got a chance to listen to this today and it is great in both surround and high rez stereo. I like Tommy but I think Quad works better from start to finish. Have you ever seen the movie version? Criterion put out a blu ray version but I've yet to see it.

Got the replacement yesterday. It's also made in France. It's also got a very rough edge, but not as bad as the other one. I listened on my headphones and didn't detect any problems but who knows in the future with a deformed disc? There was a problem with HDDVD discs getting laser rot and some BD's have had problems. So now I'm torn about keeping it or returning it and getting it somewhere else. Obviously Amazon got a bad batch.

Quad is on my top 10 list of albums so you know where my loyalties lie. The story of Tommy was cringeworthy at best, but it's still a classic album musically. Quad is a stronger album, both subject wise and musically. Moonie's drumming never sounded better and I always loved how forward sounding they were in the original mix. And some of Townshend's angriest power chords ever! The last great Who album.

Funny, I just picked up the Criterion BD last week at the B&N 50% off sale but haven't seen it yet. It's about #43 on my queue to get to.
post #105 of 140 Old 07-14-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Got the replacement yesterday. It's also made in France. It's also got a very rough edge, but not as bad as the other one. I listened on my headphones and didn't detect any problems but who knows in the future with a deformed disc? There was a problem with HDDVD discs getting laser rot and some BD's have had problems. So now I'm torn about keeping it or returning it and getting it somewhere else. Obviously Amazon got a bad batch.
The edge around my 'Made in the EU' disc is pretty pants. Indeed, the plastic used to manufacture the disc looks more like polypropylene rather than polycarbonate...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #106 of 140 Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just had a chance to listen to my copy over the weekend (made in France). Loved it. As others have said, they did a great job on how they utilized the 5.1 soundscape. And, I thought the sound quality was superb. I was a little apprehensive about this purchase, since it wasn't my favorite Who album, but having listened to it brought a whole new appreciation for this "opera".

I would say this is a must-buy to any Who fan with a 5.1 sound system.
post #107 of 140 Old 07-14-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
The edge around my 'Made in the EU' disc is pretty pants. Indeed, the plastic used to manufacture the disc looks more like polypropylene rather than polycarbonate...

Whatever it's made out of, if oxygen gets inside, it's a coaster.
post #108 of 140 Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Got mine in Canada today, same as others here, rough edge but plays fine. Sure is one fine sounding disc. I'd like to hear Pete do Who's Next as well. I also like Tommy, but it always seemed different somehow than Quadrophenia...maybe it's the movies, Quadrophenia turned into the soundtrack for a dramatic movie (once it was made), where Tommy is a musical. Anyway you slice, I'd like to quote Oliver by saying, "Please, sir, I want some more".
acebreathe likes this.
post #109 of 140 Old 07-19-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I got the Quadrophenia Bluray today and just opened up the case. The disc has a rough edge on about 1/3 of the outer edge. The sticker says made in France. I'm hoping it plays but it will be returned either way as the disc could get worse over time. It looks like QC on these discs is very poor and will probably cost Universal quite a bit for replacement discs.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #110 of 140 Old 07-19-2014, 04:31 PM

So, consensus seems to be that most (all?) of the Quadrophenia HFPAs has a rough edge on about 1/4-1/3 of the disc. Mine plays fine, no issues. Actually, if someone here hadn't mentioned it, I may not have noticed it. So ti mentioned if the edge is compromised, oxygen could get into the layers and the disc would be done? Is there a lacquer finish as a final coating, and if the coating is intact over the rough edge, would it be okay? And if there is every indication that the discs perform as advertised, will Universal just thumb their noses at a replacement program? I'd like to know more about the science in cases like this, what could and couldn't happen if anyone would like to share their knowledge (ti, Bill?) Thanks!

Bill.
post #111 of 140 Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
So, consensus seems to be that most (all?) of the Quadrophenia HFPAs has a rough edge on about 1/4-1/3 of the disc. Mine plays fine, no issues. Actually, if someone here hadn't mentioned it, I may not have noticed it. So ti mentioned if the edge is compromised, oxygen could get into the layers and the disc would be done? Is there a lacquer finish as a final coating, and if the coating is intact over the rough edge, would it be okay? And if there is every indication that the discs perform as advertised, will Universal just thumb their noses at a replacement program? I'd like to know more about the science in cases like this, what could and couldn't happen if anyone would like to share their knowledge (ti, Bill?) Thanks!
TR,

I'm not well versed in how discs are made or if the issues with the Quadrophenia Blurays can get worse over time. I think I'll just play it safe and return my copy to get one that doesn't have any flaws. It wouldn't be good if over a few years the discs break down and are unplayable. Then you have no recourse and if the Quadrophenia Bluray is OOP then you really are out of luck. The chances of both scenarios happening are probably slim to none but I'd rather be on the safe side.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #112 of 140 Old 07-19-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
TR,

I'm not well versed in how discs are made or if the issues with the Quadrophenia Blurays can get worse over time. I think I'll just play it safe and return my copy to get one that doesn't have any flaws. It wouldn't be good if over a few years the discs break down and are unplayable. Then you have no recourse and if the Quadrophenia Bluray is OOP then you really are out of luck. The chances of both scenarios happening are probably slim to none but I'd rather be on the safe side.

Bill
I hear ya. On the one hand, bought mine here in Canada for $19 so I wouldn't be out much if something happened to it, on the other hand I REALLY like it, so don't want anything to happen to it, lol. I'll be interested to see if you can actually find a copy with a smooth edge all around. Do you think the store you go to will pop open more than one to take a look?
post #113 of 140 Old 07-20-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
I hear ya. On the one hand, bought mine here in Canada for $19 so I wouldn't be out much if something happened to it, on the other hand I REALLY like it, so don't want anything to happen to it, lol. I'll be interested to see if you can actually find a copy with a smooth edge all around. Do you think the store you go to will pop open more than one to take a look?

I'm listening to the Quadrophenia Bluray in its DTS-HD Master glory . Even with the rough edges the disc is playing fine so far without any skips or vibrations. So I think I'll hold on to this copy unless there are any playback issues. I agree with earlier reviews that John Entwistle's bass is a little weak. But Moonie's drumming has quite a bit of bass impact. So I find it odd that the bass is somewhat lost in the mix. Overall I'm enjoying the 5.1 mix very much .

post #114 of 140 Old 07-20-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems like the worst discs were French made. The EU made discs don't have as many problems from what I've been reading. As for laser rot, who really knows until something happens. But like Bill said, it would probably happen after these are OOP. My replacement is going back to Amazon and I'll get it somewhere else.
post #115 of 140 Old 07-20-2014, 03:09 PM

Got mine from Amazon.ca, it's an EU disc. Plays fine, and though part of the disc has a rough edge the coating seems intact. The jagged edge covers almost exactly 25% of the disc.
post #116 of 140 Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Some people have been reporting problems with the EU discs so it's not just limited to the French. If you have any rough edges, check all the surfaces carefully! I checked the mirror side of my replacement disc and there were small air pockets in the areas where the disc was roughest. It's only a matter of time before it bites the dust. If yours has any - send it back while they're still available. Since there's so many deformed discs out there it's going to be a crapshoot if you look for them in the future. People will dump them in the used market.

Amazon has already sent out another disc for me, but if it's bad I'll have to try elsewhere.
post #117 of 140 Old 07-23-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

In reality, France is in the EU so I'm tending to think that the EU, France distinction is meaningless.
Maybe some of the defective discs were pressed on Friday.
Oh wait, they don't work Fridays in France do they?

post #118 of 140 Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
In reality, France is in the EU so I'm tending to think that the EU, France distinction is meaningless.
Maybe some of the defective discs were pressed on Friday.
Oh wait, they don't work Fridays in France do they?

You make a valid point. They're might be slapping whatever stickers they have on the wrappers.

BTW, the 3rd disc arrived yesterday. It's as deformed as the 1st with a bunch of molding sticking up on the mirror side. I don't know how I'm so lucky with these things. Probably try Bull Moose next.

post #119 of 140 Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

My BD has a one spot that's a bit uneven but I compared it to the BD of Nonsuch and it was about the same.
Both play fine in my Oppo.
Sorry to hear about your luck with this.
Maybe if they get enough returns they'll complain to the manufacturer.
Still sucks.

post #120 of 140 Old 07-25-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been having trouble playing these things in all my Oppo's, which usually can play anything. That's how bad they are. When I send #3 back to Amazon, I'm going to suggest they look into this. They usually respond to these kind of problems.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page