Quadrophenia to be released in 5.1 as part of a 40th anniversary release - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #121 of 177 Old 07-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Nil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
John Entwistle's bass is a little weak.
Yes, this a weakness on an otherwise great release. I played it again today and found myself straining to Ent's brilliant bass runs. I may need to boost the sub for this one.

Last edited by Nil; 07-29-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 177 Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
Yes, this a weakness for an otherwise great release. I played it again today and found myself straining to Ent's brilliant bass runs. I may need to boost the sub for this one.
While using a sub when playing/watching movies may add to movie experience, I'm not convinced that a sub is good for music.

Indeed, not so long ago I tried disconnecting my sub and reconfigured my amplifier to pass bass to all my 'matching' full range speakers. And I have to say I prefer listening to surround sound music this way.

However, I'm now in a bit of a quandary. Although I prefer the sound, I don't like how everything looks in my room - and neither does 'she who must be obeyed'... So I have some decisions to make

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 177 Old 07-27-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
Yes, this a weakness for an otherwise great release. I played it again today and found myself straining to Ent's brilliant bass runs. I may need to boost the sub for this one.
I tried boosting the level for my two subs a bit when playing the Quad Blu-ray but it didn't make Entwistle's bass stand out as it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
While using a sub when playing/watching movies may add to movie experience, I'm not convinced that a sub is good for music.

Indeed, not so long ago I tried disconnecting my sub and reconfigured my amplifier to pass bass to all my 'matching' full range speakers. And I have to say I prefer listening to surround sound music this way.

However, I'm now in a bit of a quandary. Although I prefer the sound, I don't like how everything looks in my room - and neither does 'she who must be obeyed'... So I have some decisions to make
I understand how you prefer not using your sub for music and running all your speakers full range. But will this bring out Entwistle's bass playing? I'm under the assumption that if the bass is mixed low into the mix that it won't make any difference. But I haven't tried what you have done.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #124 of 177 Old 07-27-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I understand how you prefer not using your sub for music and running all your speakers full range. But will this bring out Entwistle's bass playing? I'm under the assumption that if the bass is mixed low into the mix that it won't make any difference. But I haven't tried what you have done.
Well, you've got nothing to loose by giving it a try

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #125 of 177 Old 07-27-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well, you've got nothing to loose by giving it a try
I will give it a try when I have the chance. I also want to play the Quad SHM-SACD to see if the bass is more out front than the 5.1 mix. I haven't played the '73 stereo mix of the Blu-ray but want to see how that compares to the SHM-SACD.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #126 of 177 Old 07-27-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I will give it a try when I have the chance. I also want to play the Quad SHM-SACD to see if the bass is more out front than the 5.1 mix. I haven't played the '73 stereo mix of the Blu-ray but want to see how that compares to the SHM-SACD.

Bill

Have you compared the '73 stereo to the '14 on the BD? From the little I heard I actually preferred the '73 because of the bass. I also thought Pete's guitar was also lower on the '14 stereo. I'm actually one of the few who's not crazy for the SHM-SACD. I thought the drums and bass are too recessed on the SHM.
post #127 of 177 Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I read a promo piece for the HFPA disc group in a British mag called Home Cinema. In the piece someone from the group said the 5.1 mix for Quadrophenia was created exclusively for this blu ray release and that it was produced by Pete Townsend. It seems strange that he would let the bass be mixed so low. He also said that they are reaching out to other artists to see if they can get them to work on future blu ray releases but he didn't mention any names.
post #128 of 177 Old 08-10-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quadrophenia to be released in 5.1 as part of a 40th anniversary release

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Have you compared the '73 stereo to the '14 on the BD? From the little I heard I actually preferred the '73 because of the bass. I also thought Pete's guitar was also lower on the '14 stereo. I'm actually one of the few who's not crazy for the SHM-SACD. I thought the drums and bass are too recessed on the SHM.

+1. Very disappointed in the bass on the M/C mix. Went to the 73 mix and it was there. If I didn't know better I'd think there was something wrong with the M/C mix.
The Ox is rolling in his grave.

Tom

post #129 of 177 Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
A thumbs up for the blu-ray version. I like the way they separated the instruments and vocals. The base, while not prominent, is consistent with most Who albums I have as none of them seem to have prominent bass. A bit expensive, but I'll get my money's worth.

Note, I don't have the original Quadrophenia, so I can't compare it.
post #130 of 177 Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post
A thumbs up for the blu-ray version. I like the way they separated the instruments and vocals. The base, while not prominent, is consistent with most Who albums I have as none of them seem to have prominent bass. A bit expensive, but I'll get my money's worth.

Note, I don't have the original Quadrophenia, so I can't compare it.
Sure you do, the BD has the 73 mix on it

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #131 of 177 Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another gripe about the Blu-ray version of Quadrophenia:

Where's the bloody back-story of Quadrophenia written by Pete Townshend for the album's release?! Where's the bloody lyric sheet?!

Both can be found on the original album from 1973. Both can be found on the MCA 1996 CD release.

At the price they're charging for this Blu ray I thought I'd get the complete package.

(Just like the "Quadrophenia--The Director's Cut (Super Deluxe Edition)" from 2011 which only included part of the album in 5.1 Surround Sound, this latest version of Quadrophenia comes up short.)
post #132 of 177 Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Where's the bloody back-story of Quadrophenia written by Pete Townshend for the album's release?! Where's the bloody lyric sheet?!

Both can be found on the original album from 1973. Both can be found on the MCA 1996 CD release.

At the price they're charging for this Blu ray I thought I'd get the complete package.

(Just like the "Quadrophenia--The Director's Cut (Super Deluxe Edition)" from 2011 which only included part of the album in 5.1 Surround Sound, this latest version of Quadrophenia comes up short.)
I can understand why you would want all those items as part of the Blu-ray package. But I'm not that concerned as I'm just happy to have the entire album in 5.1 at a reasonable cost. I listened to this today and I found that the bass is still weak but it is there in the background. It's a great sounding 5.1 mix that was totally cranked up on a rainy day .

Bill

post #133 of 177 Old 08-13-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[/http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=210833&
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baby.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	210833  

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Last edited by Milt99; 08-24-2014 at 11:21 AM.
post #134 of 177 Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can understand why you would want all those items as part of the Blu-ray package. But I'm not that concerned as I'm just happy to have the entire album in 5.1 at a reasonable cost. I listened to this today and I found that the bass is still weak but it is there in the background. It's a great sounding 5.1 mix that was totally cranked up on a rainy day .

Bill
Oh, I still bought this release anyway (like the numerous versions of other Who albums I've purchased through the years), but Townshend's essay was a very enjoyable part of the complete concept of the album. It seems strange that Townshend, who prides himself on his non-musical writing abilities, would sign off on this project without including an integral part of his concept.

(And I agree that the bass should have been "roaring" out of my speakers on this release.)
post #135 of 177 Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Milt,

(And I also posted a gripe about XTC not including a lyric sheet with their recent Nonsuch 5.1 release.)
post #136 of 177 Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Sure you do, the BD has the 73 mix on it
Duh - thanks, after seeing this is I actually do remember it seeing it

Anyway, listening to it now and I don't hear any more bass then the surround version. So, I'll stick with that one.

Thanks again.
post #137 of 177 Old 08-15-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyway, listening to it now and I don't hear any more bass then the surround version. So, I'll stick with that one.

Thanks again.
Hey... If Universal can't be bothered to tell people that the 1973 stereo mix of Quadraphenia is available on the Blu-ray audio disc, you have nothing to feel embarrassed about

Universal sure no how to loose sales...

post #138 of 177 Old 08-15-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Thanks again.
Seriously? I thought it was night and day difference. Maybe check your woofers.

ETA: Just to be clear I'm talking about Jon Entwistle's (The Ox) bass not the overall bass on the BD.

Tom

Last edited by obie_fl; 08-15-2014 at 10:44 AM.
post #139 of 177 Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post
Seriously? I thought it was night and day difference. Maybe check your woofers.

ETA: Just to be clear I'm talking about Jon Entwistle's (The Ox) bass not the overall bass on the BD.
I understand but for me, I don't hear it and my woofers are more then fine
post #140 of 177 Old 08-15-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I understand but for me, I don't hear it and my woofers are more then fine

I have to agree with obie. The '73 bass is much more prominent than the '14. I'm going to keep that as my go-to when I'm listening in stereo. If you have a good set of cans, give it a listen on them. It's not even close. The Ox gores again.
post #141 of 177 Old 08-23-2014, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exclamation Guys, you are frigg'n KILLING ME!!!

Heh... I've gone though this WHOLE dang thread and people keep mentioning the excellent 5.1 sound.

Fine...

BUT... THERE ARE 2 HD AUDIO TRACKS HERE GUYS!!!

There is a DTS HD and a TrueHD track and NOBODY had even mentioned which one they like better! I'm seriously just about going out of my mind here

I cannot believe that NO ONE has said anything about this, would any of you PLEASE mention WHICH HD track you prefer and why, if you don't mind, hopefully, BEFORE I hang myself...

Cheers!
post #142 of 177 Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatheOfHeaven View Post
Heh... I've gone though this WHOLE dang thread and people keep mentioning the excellent 5.1 sound.

Fine...

There is a DTS HD and a TrueHD track and NOBODY had even mentioned which one they like better! I'm seriously just about going out of my mind here

I cannot believe that NO ONE has said anything about this, would any of you PLEASE mention WHICH HD track you prefer and why, if you don't mind, hopefully, BEFORE I hang myself...

Cheers!
DTS HD but have to admit have not tried the Dolby True. I think the DTS was first on the list.Sounded good so didn't think to try anything else.
post #143 of 177 Old 08-23-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 779
What differences would you expect with either "lossless" coding/decoding of the original PCM soundtrack?

post #144 of 177 Old 08-24-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Like ace I guess I hadn't bothered with the Dolby track. And like lovinthehd said, hope you aren't expecting a great difference here with these 2 lossless codecs. I just tried a few cuts from Quadrophenia on my Oppo, flipping between DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD and...it's a coin toss to my ears. Even ran my SPL meter on both and got the same readings, not that the loudness level would be directly proportionate to sound quality anyway. The part where you said "people keep mentioning the excellent 5.1 sound", run with that and pick up the disc
post #145 of 177 Old 08-24-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Technically, there should not be any audible differences between a lossless Dolby TrueHD and a lossless DTS MA-HD audio bit-stream when they are passed to a surround sound decoder via HDMI.

Cheers

post #146 of 177 Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Milt,

(And I also posted a gripe about XTC not including a lyric sheet with their recent Nonsuch 5.1 release.)
Glad to you took my ribbing the way I meant it, you big cry baby.

post #147 of 177 Old 08-24-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatheOfHeaven View Post

Fine...

Cheers!
Jeez, simmer down.
Actually there are 3 HD tracks.
Why not buy it and decide for yourself generally there are little to no differences between the HD streams.
Some times I slightly prefer PCM sometimes TruHD most times none over another.

post #148 of 177 Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Jeez, simmer down.
Actually there are 3 HD tracks.
Why not buy it and decide for yourself generally there are little to no differences between the HD streams.
Some times I slightly prefer PCM sometimes TruHD most times none over another.
Agreed Milt. Though it sounded like he was only talking about the 5.1 mixes, there is no PCM 5.1 on this disc. But yeah, buy it, you'll love it
post #149 of 177 Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Technically, there should not be any audible differences between a lossless Dolby TrueHD and a lossless DTS MA-HD audio bit-stream when they are passed to a surround sound decoder via HDMI.

Cheers

There are differences, but it's usually in the way your player processes them. My Oppo 95 usually sounds better with the DTS stream than the Dolby for some reason.
post #150 of 177 Old 08-24-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Like ace I guess I hadn't bothered with the Dolby track. And like lovinthehd said, hope you aren't expecting a great difference here with these 2 lossless codecs. I just tried a few cuts from Quadrophenia on my Oppo, flipping between DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD and...it's a coin toss to my ears. Even ran my SPL meter on both and got the same readings, not that the loudness level would be directly proportionate to sound quality anyway. The part where you said "people keep mentioning the excellent 5.1 sound", run with that and pick up the disc
Hmmm, I appreciate the replies. I guess maybe something is wrong with my encode because there is a HUGE difference in volume between the two. The DTS track is considerably louder and more aggressive, which I prefer. The TrueHD track is quite a bit lower in volume.

Weird though if the rest of you do not notice that...???
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page