Quadrophenia to be released in 5.1 as part of a 40th anniversary release - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 127 Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I saw this link posted over at the Steve Hoffman forum. It is great news that not only will the studio version of Quadrophenia be released in 5.1 but also a live version of a concert from July of 2013.

http://thewho.com/blog/story/the-who-celebrate-the-40th-anniversary-of-quadrophenia/

Bill
gillcup likes this.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Nice that you have the option to buy individual discs rather then whole box set.
Bill Mac and Dah Finstah like this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #3 of 127 Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Nice that you have the option to buy individual discs rather then whole box set.

I agree 100% smile.gif!

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #4 of 127 Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

It is great news that not only will the studio version of Quadrophenia be released in 5.1 but also a live version of a concert from July of 2013.
I will most definitely be adding the 5.1 channel studio version to my collection wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #5 of 127 Old 04-16-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I will most definitely be adding the 5.1 channel studio version to my collection wink.gif

I'm all over the 5.1 studio version as well. If the 5.1 mix is done well it should sound incredible smile.gif. I wonder who is doing the 5.1 mix?

Bill

post #6 of 127 Old 04-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Great news! I'm really glad I didn't buy the 2011 box set with the disc with only 8 of 17 tracks in 5.1.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #7 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Very cool. This will be a must-buy.
post #8 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I can't find a link to buy the "SINGLE-DISC BLU-RAY™ PURE AUDIO DISC" Maybe it's not up yet?
post #9 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

I can't find a link to buy the "SINGLE-DISC BLU-RAY™ PURE AUDIO DISC" Maybe it's not up yet?

I was just going to comment on this myself. The link that I found for the studio album leads to the live disc, at least on Amazon. It is also listed as a DVD-A. Give it a few days to sort itself out.
post #10 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

I just looked and there is no link that I could find to the 5.1 HFPA studio version of Quadrophenia. I hope it's not a cruel joke and that one will have to buy the box set to get the studio version in 5.1 frown.gif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I was just going to comment on this myself. The link that I found for the studio album leads to the live disc, at least on Amazon. It is also listed as a DVD-A. Give it a few days to sort itself out.

I noticed that as well on Amazon. I know Amazon is huge but to have DVD-A mentioned in a HFPA Bluray listing doesn't make any sense.

Bill

post #11 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
...this maybe me retroactively justifying my purchase, but the book/package of the other set is actually worth the purchase price, and the extra discs contain many goodies.

Still, super pleased they came to their senses and they're giving us the whole shebang on Blu.

post #12 of 127 Old 04-18-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

I'm all over the 5.1 studio version as well. If the 5.1 mix is done well it should sound incredible smile.gif. I wonder who is doing the 5.1 mix?

Bill
Forget his name but the same guy that did the 5.1 from the previous boxset is what I read somewhere, maybe QQ.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #13 of 127 Old 04-21-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillcup View Post

Great news! I'm really glad I didn't buy the 2011 box set with the disc with only 8 of 17 tracks in 5.1.

Will there be a trade-in offer for those of us who bought the 2011 box set expecting to receive the ENTIRE album remastered in in 5.1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

...this maybe me retroactively justifying my purchase, but the book/package of the other set is actually worth the purchase price, and the extra discs contain many goodies.

Still, super pleased they came to their senses and they're giving us the whole shebang on Blu.

I respectfully disagree and as a life-long Who fan the Quadrophenia box set was a missed opportunity and seemed like a money grab from Pete Townshend. It was way overpriced for what was originally promised. (And the 5.1 mix didn't sound all that wonderful to my ears.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Forget his name but the same guy that did the 5.1 from the previous boxset is what I read somewhere, maybe QQ.

I thought Pete Townshend oversaw and did the mix. And when there was a backlash about only doing a partial 5.1 mix, he quickly assured fans that he would finish the entire album and release it on his website for purchasers of the box set. And that never happened.
post #14 of 127 Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Will there be a trade-in offer for those of us who bought the 2011 box set expecting to receive the ENTIRE album remastered in in 5.1?
I respectfully disagree and as a life-long Who fan the Quadrophenia box set was a missed opportunity and seemed like a money grab from Pete Townshend. It was way overpriced for what was originally promised. (And the 5.1 mix didn't sound all that wonderful to my ears.)
I thought Pete Townshend oversaw and did the mix. And when there was a backlash about only doing a partial 5.1 mix, he quickly assured fans that he would finish the entire album and release it on his website for purchasers of the box set. And that never happened.

I heard the same thing about Townshend. Perhaps you should contact the website and ask is he's still offering the rest of the album to previous buyers. Though I'd doubt it, it can't hurt to ask. The price of the box was a joke. Even at sale prices it's not worth it and it's on sale a lot. That should tell you something.
post #15 of 127 Old 04-21-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I've been a The Who: Quad fan since 1977....vinyl>CD, etc, looking fwd to the blu-ray version!
post #16 of 127 Old 04-21-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

From what I read he did not not do the actual 5.1 mix although it would seem logical that he approved it.
As far as the previous boxset being "over-priced", I agree and that's why I did not buy it.
Many people who bought it say that it was very nicely put together and of excellent quality.
I know many people had\have the same opinion of the Aqualung boxset, such is life.
While Pete's rep may not be redeemed by the flexible options in the latest offering there's nothing to be done about it.
If a download of the complete Quadrophenia in 5.1 is offered, as it should be, there will be people dissatisfied about some aspect of that as well.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #17 of 127 Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 AM

Liked: 11
Great news indeed! I didn't buy the 2011 box either, because I wasn't paying the price for a partial. I figured they'd release the whole thing eventually. I won't buy the box this time around either. I'm in for the 5.1 studio & concert. I believe it won't be out until June. Can't wait!

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #18 of 127 Old 04-22-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknuck View Post

Great news indeed! I didn't buy the 2011 box either, because I wasn't paying the price for a partial. I figured they'd release the whole thing eventually. I won't buy the box this time around either. I'm in for the 5.1 studio & concert. I believe it won't be out until June. Can't wait!

It's the HFPA and DVD for me also. Quadrophenia is my favorite Who album and seeing them in concert doing it again will be a blast. Watching Moonie beat the crap out of the drums is something I've missed for a long time. wink.gif
post #19 of 127 Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, I didn't have any illusions that the full Quadrophenia would ever be released in hi-res 5.1, I just wasn't going to pay that much for what the boxset had.
I do think that Pete should live up to his statement that buyers of the previous set should get a free download of the full studio 5.1 album.
While that won't satisfy every one, nothing ever does, it's just the right thing to do for Who fans.

post #20 of 127 Old 04-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just in case people are not sure which disc to get this is the link for the Hi-res Blu-Ray music only 5.1 mix of the studio album, I just can't wait to play it. Now keep praying for Pink Floyd to release The Wall SACD 5.1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPUUPLA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00JPUUPLA&linkCode=as2&tag=superdeluxeed-20
post #21 of 127 Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You sure that also has the Studio album........I hope so. The original Wall in 5.1 would be great too.........the 5.1 SACD of The Wall in Berlin (Roger Waters) was sure good.
post #22 of 127 Old 04-25-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it's possible to tell from Amazon what disc is the studio version yet.
It is being released on a separate disc from the live show.

post #23 of 127 Old 04-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

Just in case people are not sure which disc to get this is the link for the Hi-res Blu-Ray music only 5.1 mix of the studio album, I just can't wait to play it. Now keep praying for Pink Floyd to release The Wall SACD 5.1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPUUPLA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00JPUUPLA&linkCode=as2&tag=superdeluxeed-20

I don't think this link is to the studio album. It's a link to the BluRay Audio only of the concert. I don't think Amazon has put up a link, yet, for the studio re-release.

I sure do hope that Amazon puts it up there soon. I guess they have time, due to the June release. It would just be nice to see that this is indeed not just vaporware.
post #24 of 127 Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hendrix View Post

I don't think this link is to the studio album. It's a link to the BluRay Audio only of the concert. I don't think Amazon has put up a link, yet, for the studio re-release.

I sure do hope that Amazon puts it up there soon. I guess they have time, due to the June release. It would just be nice to see that this is indeed not just vaporware.

According to http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-who-quadrophenia-live-in-london-box-offers-5-1-studio-album/

Quadrophenia (Blu-ray audio NB: Amazon link is incorrectly labelled as ‘live’ but is actually the studio version)
Hope this helps.
post #25 of 127 Old 04-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
It is all good these days........I thought most of the Hi Res days were over (DVD Audio, SACD)......except for Wilson stuff......now BR AUDIO......and more SACD (HEART MAGAZINE) and ton's of other stuff. I just got the Queen Night at the Opera BR AUDIO the other day ............... it is great and for $22 delivered I am happy!

Lots of stuff to look forward to.........it will be nice to get hi res and not have to get it from Japan........my Quad SACD stereo cost me about $44 (CAN) or something like that including delivery........kind of wish I had not done that now..........
post #26 of 127 Old 04-26-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 54
No links for any of the new Quadrophenia versions have appeared on Amazon UK yet... Very annoying!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #27 of 127 Old 04-26-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

No links for any of the new Quadrophenia versions have appeared on Amazon UK yet... Very annoying!
Patience Grashopper... smile.gif

post #28 of 127 Old 04-27-2014, 02:35 AM
Nil

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

According to http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-who-quadrophenia-live-in-london-box-offers-5-1-studio-album/

Quadrophenia (Blu-ray audio NB: Amazon link is incorrectly labelled as ‘live’ but is actually the studio version)
Hope this helps.

Well, I do want the complete studio release in surround sound far more than the recent live version. But I hesitate to take the plunge with this link until the discrepency has been independently verified.
post #29 of 127 Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

It's the HFPA and DVD for me also. Quadrophenia is my favorite Who album and seeing them in concert doing it again will be a blast. Watching Moonie beat the crap out of the drums is something I've missed for a long time. wink.gif

The Quadrophenia concert is from 2013 so unfortunately you won't be seeing Keith Moon on drums wink.gif.

Bill

post #30 of 127 Old 04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Quadrophenia concert is from 2013 so unfortunately you won't be seeing Keith Moon on drums wink.gif.

Bill

Ack! That tears it. I guess it's just the studio album then.

Thanks Bill
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page