Grateful Dead - Sunshine Daydream (Blu-Ray, Tru HD 5.1 audio) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nil
  • 1 Post By Toe
  • 1 Post By lesotritio
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
Nil
Senior Member
 
Nil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A plug for this classic from 1972. The surround audio is quite good and can be listened to without the video, which is sometimes just a bit eye-rolling (the crowd scenes and the naked guy grooving in the distance behind Jerry, for example smile.gif) But it brought a smile to my face; those were special times!

On 4/20 (when else?) the box set from Dead.net came with free shipping making the pricey set worth my while. Some great playing by Jerry, and Keith's piano stands out in the mix as does Phil's bass.

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/sunshine-daydream-deluxe-cdblu-ray-exclusive
Nil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 05-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I concur. 1972 was a paramount year for GD smile.gif
JA Fant is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

A plug for this classic from 1972. The surround audio is quite good and can be listened to without the video, which is sometimes just a bit eye-rolling (the crowd scenes and the naked guy grooving in the distance behind Jerry, for example smile.gif) But it brought a smile to my face; those were special times!

On 4/20 (when else?) the box set from Dead.net came with free shipping making the pricey set worth my while. Some great playing by Jerry, and Keith's piano stands out in the mix as does Phil's bass.

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/sunshine-daydream-deluxe-cdblu-ray-exclusive

The entire show is not in surround though, right? I saw this in the theater and as I remember, it's not the entire show?

Classic show though. Dark Star> El Paso> Sing Me Back Home is one of the greatest moments in the history of the band!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #4 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Nil
Senior Member
 
Nil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yes, unfortunately the surround mix is only for the select tracks in the movie. The package also comes with 3 additional regular 2-channel CDs that have the entire (or as close to an entire) performance between them. However, the True HD soundtrack in surround contains some excellent tracks, and sounds noticeably better than the CD version to my ears. I am very happy with this purchase.
Nil is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Yes, unfortunately the surround mix is only for the select tracks in the movie. The package also comes with 3 additional regular 2-channel CDs that have the entire (or as close to an entire) performance between them. However, the True HD soundtrack in surround contains some excellent tracks, and sounds noticeably better than the CD version to my ears. I am very happy with this purchase.

Thanks. At least they put the best part of the show in True HD with the Dark Star> El Paso> Sing Me Back Home......I need to buy it just for that. cool.gif

EDIT: Just ordered! Looking forward to it.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Nil
Senior Member
 
Nil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Going by your avatar, I know that you will. smile.gif

If you don't have the DVD-A of the Soldiers and Sailors War Memorial 1979 concert already, you should look up the link provided some years ago on this forum. Well worth it for the surround sound matrix mix. There is a great version of the less frequently played Althea in there, as well as a superb China>Rider, among others. More importantly, the audio is as good as it gets.
Toe likes this.
Nil is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Going by your avatar, I know that you will. smile.gif

If you don't have the DVD-A of the Soldiers and Sailors War Memorial 1979 concert already, you should look up the link provided some years ago on this forum. Well worth it for the surround sound matrix mix. There is a great version of the less frequently played Althea in there, as well as a superb China>Rider, among others. More importantly, the audio is as good as it gets.

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD-A. I actually did get that a while back and have listened to the first set, but still need to fire up the second. Thanks for the reminder! The audio is great as you mention.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old 05-29-2014, 12:56 AM
Senior Member
 
JimWinVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Going by your avatar, I know that you will. smile.gif

If you don't have the DVD-A of the Soldiers and Sailors War Memorial 1979 concert already, you should look up the link provided some years ago on this forum. Well worth it for the surround sound matrix mix. There is a great version of the less frequently played Althea in there, as well as a superb China>Rider, among others. More importantly, the audio is as good as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD-A. I actually did get that a while back and have listened to the first set, but still need to fire up the second. Thanks for the reminder! The audio is great as you mention.

I did a search and found the thread, but the link goes to archive.org where there's only streaming available. Are the iso's available to d/l somewhere?
JimWinVA is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Finally got around to watching the blu ray with the GF last night and we LOVED it. Audio is fantastic and this whole set is worth it for the Dark Star>El Paso, Sing Me Back Home........one of the best 3 song segments in the history of the band IMO. Thanks OP for encouraging me to grab this!
Nil likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
yep,Audio is fantastic and this whole set is worth it for the Dark Star>El Paso, Sing Me Back Home,[IMG]http://*******/pQ9tzh[/IMG]thanks
Toe likes this.
lesotritio is offline  
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off