Grateful Dead - Sunshine Daydream (Blu-Ray, Tru HD 5.1 audio) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes
  • 1 Post By Nil
  • 1 Post By Toe
  • 1 Post By lesotritio
  • 1 Post By DeadEd
  • 1 Post By sivadselim
  • 1 Post By Toe
  • 1 Post By DeadEd
  • 1 Post By Toe
  • 1 Post By Toe
  • 2 Post By jimbology
  • 2 Post By DeadEd
  • 1 Post By Toe
  • 2 Post By DeadEd
  • 1 Post By Toe
  • 2 Post By JimWinVA
  • 1 Post By DeadEd
  • 2 Post By Nil

Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
Nil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
A plug for this classic from 1972. The surround audio is quite good and can be listened to without the video, which is sometimes just a bit eye-rolling (the crowd scenes and the naked guy grooving in the distance behind Jerry, for example smile.gif) But it brought a smile to my face; those were special times!

On 4/20 (when else?) the box set from Dead.net came with free shipping making the pricey set worth my while. Some great playing by Jerry, and Keith's piano stands out in the mix as does Phil's bass.

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/sunshine-daydream-deluxe-cdblu-ray-exclusive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I concur. 1972 was a paramount year for GD smile.gif
Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

A plug for this classic from 1972. The surround audio is quite good and can be listened to without the video, which is sometimes just a bit eye-rolling (the crowd scenes and the naked guy grooving in the distance behind Jerry, for example smile.gif) But it brought a smile to my face; those were special times!

On 4/20 (when else?) the box set from Dead.net came with free shipping making the pricey set worth my while. Some great playing by Jerry, and Keith's piano stands out in the mix as does Phil's bass.

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/sunshine-daydream-deluxe-cdblu-ray-exclusive

The entire show is not in surround though, right? I saw this in the theater and as I remember, it's not the entire show?

Classic show though. Dark Star> El Paso> Sing Me Back Home is one of the greatest moments in the history of the band!
Old 05-27-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Nil

Yes, unfortunately the surround mix is only for the select tracks in the movie. The package also comes with 3 additional regular 2-channel CDs that have the entire (or as close to an entire) performance between them. However, the True HD soundtrack in surround contains some excellent tracks, and sounds noticeably better than the CD version to my ears. I am very happy with this purchase.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, unfortunately the surround mix is only for the select tracks in the movie. The package also comes with 3 additional regular 2-channel CDs that have the entire (or as close to an entire) performance between them. However, the True HD soundtrack in surround contains some excellent tracks, and sounds noticeably better than the CD version to my ears. I am very happy with this purchase.

Thanks. At least they put the best part of the show in True HD with the Dark Star> El Paso> Sing Me Back Home......I need to buy it just for that. cool.gif

EDIT: Just ordered! Looking forward to it.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Nil

Going by your avatar, I know that you will. smile.gif

If you don't have the DVD-A of the Soldiers and Sailors War Memorial 1979 concert already, you should look up the link provided some years ago on this forum. Well worth it for the surround sound matrix mix. There is a great version of the less frequently played Althea in there, as well as a superb China>Rider, among others. More importantly, the audio is as good as it gets.
Toe likes this.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you don't have the DVD-A of the Soldiers and Sailors War Memorial 1979 concert already, you should look up the link provided some years ago on this forum. Well worth it for the surround sound matrix mix. There is a great version of the less frequently played Althea in there, as well as a superb China>Rider, among others. More importantly, the audio is as good as it gets.

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD-A. I actually did get that a while back and have listened to the first set, but still need to fire up the second. Thanks for the reminder! The audio is great as you mention.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD-A. I actually did get that a while back and have listened to the first set, but still need to fire up the second. Thanks for the reminder! The audio is great as you mention.

I did a search and found the thread, but the link goes to archive.org where there's only streaming available. Are the iso's available to d/l somewhere?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Finally got around to watching the blu ray with the GF last night and we LOVED it. Audio is fantastic and this whole set is worth it for the Dark Star>El Paso, Sing Me Back Home........one of the best 3 song segments in the history of the band IMO. Thanks OP for encouraging me to grab this!
Nil likes this.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
yep,Audio is fantastic and this whole set is worth it for the Dark Star>El Paso, Sing Me Back Home,[IMG]http://*******/pQ9tzh[/IMG]thanks
Toe likes this.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Nil 

Going by your avatar, I know that you will.

Quote:Originally Posted by Toe 

I did a search and found the thread, but the link goes to archive.org where there's only streaming available. Are the iso's available to d/l somewhere?
Try shnflac.net
Toe likes this.

--. .-. .- - . ..-. ..- .-.. / -.. . .- -..
Dyslexics are teople poo.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
Try shnflac.net
I doobieleev he's been taken care of. That post was from 2014.

If not, PM me, JimWinVA.
DeadEd likes this.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 06-30-2015, 06:16 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks guys, I did end up getting it.

On a side note, anyone check out the GD50 shows from last weekend? A bit hit/miss from what I have heard which is not surprising. Thought Trey did great. I will never get used to Phil/Bob singing Jerry tunes though!
DeadEd likes this.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
I doobieleev he's been taken care of. That post was from 2014.

If not, PM me, JimWinVA.
LOL Sivadselim! I spaced on the year! Sorry

I didn't get to see the Santa Clara shows because I could not get the days off work. Did hear first set of the sunday show on KFOG. They sounded really good, but it was weird. Trey was not trying to play like Jerry so it's almost like it was a different band. Maybe it was different if you were there. I'm going to all of the Chicago shows and I can't WAIT! Good seats on the 50 yard line front row, so sound should be good. I'm also gonna see Darkstar Orchestra on the 2nd in Chicago and we have tix for the remenants of the Jerry band after the show on Sunday. Not sure I'll have enough energy to do that but we'll see.

Speaking to some friends who did go to the Santa Clara shows, their feeling was that the Boys are really showing their age but it was a really fun time and they sounded good. They were VERY happy.

IMHO, Phil should not sing Jerry tunes. Really he shouldn't sing anything, but then we'd never have a Box or Tom Thumb, but seriously, he can't sing.
Toe likes this.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Awesome ED! Have fun man and wish I could be there! I have a few friends going as well and they are excited.
DeadEd likes this.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Toe :-)

It's gonna be wonderful. I was just wondering if you drive a truck.
(thought it would probably be a toe truck)

Old 07-01-2015, 05:11 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks Toe :-)

It's gonna be wonderful. I was just wondering if you drive a truck.
(thought it would probably be a toe truck)

I drive a truck for work. Does that count?
DeadEd likes this.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Thanks guys, I did end up getting it.

On a side note, anyone check out the GD50 shows from last weekend? A bit hit/miss from what I have heard which is not surprising. Thought Trey did great. I will never get used to Phil/Bob singing Jerry tunes though!
I had fun at Santa Clara and thought Trey did a good job of fitting in. The first night I thought there was some tentative playing with everyone trying to blend in but over all it as a great time. Tremendous sunset and rainbow the first night ! We didn't score tics to Chicago but I caved and got the 3 day package on E*. I heard some complaints about the audio and video feeds from last weeks show but hopefully it is done well this weekend. I'll be real curious about the blu-ray release of these shows. Although its hard to hear other people sing Jerry's tunes they need to be sung, but would prefer Bruce to sing more and Trey to take some stabs at them too.
And Sunshine Daydream is a gr8t release !!
Toe and Nil like this.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, that totally counts Toe.

I have returned from the Dead.

I just got back from the Chicago shows and WOW!!!!! I'm still buzzing!! One of the best times of my life! Such wonderful people, I love deadheads. Chicago was awesome, weather was PERFECT. The city was very welcoming.

The boys were SO on, IMHO!! Very tight. Some SERIOUS Phil bombs were dropped!! Strong vocals. I was worried about Trey but he rocked the house! Even Phil sounded good! And we had excellent seats. Floor 15 people back in the center for the final show. First row balcony at the 50 yard line for the other two (sec 210) and it could not have been better. We were also in the club section which was really really plush.

I did pre-order the bluray and CD bundle of all five shows. I'm excited. I also hear Martin Scorsese is making a movie on top of the show bundle.

I can't believe it's over
So bitter-sweet
Toe and Nil like this.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:05 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, that totally counts Toe.

I have returned from the Dead.

I just got back from the Chicago shows and WOW!!!!! I'm still buzzing!! One of the best times of my life! Such wonderful people, I love deadheads. Chicago was awesome, weather was PERFECT. The city was very welcoming.

The boys were SO on, IMHO!! Very tight. Some SERIOUS Phil bombs were dropped!! Strong vocals. I was worried about Trey but he rocked the house! Even Phil sounded good! And we had excellent seats. Floor 15 people back in the center for the final show. First row balcony at the 50 yard line for the other two (sec 210) and it could not have been better. We were also in the club section which was really really plush.

I did pre-order the bluray and CD bundle of all five shows. I'm excited. I also hear Martin Scorsese is making a movie on top of the show bundle.

I can't believe it's over
So bitter-sweet
Congrats Ed! I am truly kicking myself for not getting out there now. Had friends texting me from the shows all weekend which was painful. Really enjoyed the shows as well. Wish Phil/Bob would have let Bruce/Trey sing ALL the Jerry tunes, but I can understand them wanting to sing them. Bob flat out ruined Black Peter in Santa Clara which is one of my favorite tunes. While a bit loose at times (which is to be expected all things considered) I thought they sounded really good all things considered besides the vocals, but not the tightest music. Only set I thought was too loose and sloppy was 2nd set Sat night. Lost Sailor/Saint sounded totally unrehearsed to my ears and a few others that set. Scarlet and Playing from night one were my favorite jams of the weekend. The Sunday show was super emotional. I was crying like a baby during the Attics encore.

I was thinking of ordering the blu rays as well, but $190 (Dead.net) is WAY overpriced IMO for just the 3 Chicago shows and I would much rather put that $$$ toward real Dead with Jerry like the May 77 box, Spring 90 box or Europe 72 box all of which I don't have yet, but if I had actually gone to the event, the blus would be a no brainer. How much was the 5 show set and where did you order?

Glad you had fun though and wish I could have been there! Thanks for the report.
DeadEd likes this.

Last edited by Toe; 07-08-2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I'm kind of an idiot. I ordered the BluRay pack thinking it was FIVE shows, not three. Oh well. Sometimes I wonder what happened to all those brain cells. Then I remember. 8-)

Yeah, perspective is different when you are at a show, or, always actually. I don't know. I really felt they were pretty tight other than a few slip ups here and there. For me it's always different when I listen to it later as well. I just downloaded the shows in FLAC from the FM broadcast (PM me if you want me to put them on dropbox for you). I remember listening to an interview of Jerry many many years ago and he said something similar; He said that he'd be playing a show and think that it's a mess, they are not clicking and nothing is sounding right to him, then later he would listen to the show and it would be magic! I don't know. I do know that my head was in a REALLY REALLY REALLY good place all weekend

I've been pretty bummed out the last few days. Almost like Jerry died again. Just kind of in a funk. Went to see Stu Allen and The Mars Hotel play last night in Berkeley and that helped

I agree that the blu rays are overpriced, but hell. I was there. AND it was my daughter's first show! She is 15 and her name is Stella Blue. They played it for her on the 4th!! Very nice I agree though that if money is limited (and when is it not) I'd get the May '77 box and The Other Ones first. I really love those disks! Also Spring 90 is EXCELLENT!! I listen to them a lot. And we get all those Dylan tunes that they left out of this run.

Might have to think about going to Dark Star Orchestra's 'Jam in the Sand' next year just to get my fix
Toe and Nil like this.

Last edited by DeadEd; 07-09-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

(~);}

Old 07-09-2015, 06:37 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well, I'm kind of an idiot. I ordered the BluRay pack thinking it was FIVE shows, not three. Oh well. Sometimes I wonder what happened to all those brain cells. Then I remember. 8-)

Yeah, perspective is different when you are at a show, or, always actually. I don't know. I really felt they were pretty tight other than a few slip ups here and there. For me it's always different when I listen to it later as well. I just downloaded the shows in FLAC from the FM broadcast (PM me if you want me to put them on dropbox for you). I remember listening to an interview of Jerry many many years ago and he said something similar; He said that he'd be playing a show and think that it's a mess, they are not clicking and nothing is sounding right to him, then later he would listen to the show and it would be magic! I don't know. I do know that my head was in a REALLY REALLY REALLY good place all weekend

I've been pretty bummed out the last few days. Almost like Jerry died again. Just kind of in a funk. Went to see Stu Allen and The Mars Hotel play last night in Berkeley and that helped

I agree that the blu rays are overpriced, but hell. I was there. AND it was my daughter's first show! She is 15 and her name is Stella Blue. They played it for her on the 4th!! Very nice I agree though that if money is limited (and when is it not) I'd get the May '77 box and The Other Ones first. I really love those disks! Also Spring 90 is EXCELLENT!! I listen to them a lot. And we get all those Dylan tunes that they left out of this run.

Might have to think about going to Dark Star Orchestra's 'Jam in the Sand' next year just to get my fix
Congrats to your daughter on her first show! Could not have picked a better name as well! That is SO cool!

Love DSO! I see them whenever they are in town.

I really loved that final show and I know what you mean. I was just at a bar watching it and you could still feel the magic......being there must have been absolutely AMAZING. The NFA when Bobby and Trey were jamming together kind of huddled on stage facing each other gave me goose bumps and I had the hugest smile. Then the NFA chant, Touch and Attics encore was so incredibly powerful and both really captured that feeling that only a Dead show can give. I had tears running down my face all of Attics. What an amazing moment that had to be for you guys! Was the NFA chant just insane being in that stadium with 70,000+???? I can only imagine......I have few regrets, but I regret not getting out to Chicago.

Great to hear about the May 77 and Spring 90 box! Cant wait to dive into these.

Interesting you mention being bummed out this week as I have felt the same thing and today was the first day I feel like I pulled out of the funk to some degree. My funk was largely from not making it out to Chicago and hearing all about it from others who went, but not entirely. I don't know.....that incredible feeling you get after a show like Sunday and then being slammed back into reality with so many people who are not into the Dead (like at my job) and who just don't understand makes it feel like a lonely day to day world sometimes. Just so thankful for my friends who still love the Dead with me so we can all relate, reflect on all the memories and so on. Not to mention it is always exciting coming into contact with new Dead friends like you.
DeadEd likes this.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'm going to see DSO on 8/1 to celebrate Jerry's b'day!
DeadEd and Toe like this.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Awesome Jim, have a great time in Chesterfield! Wish I was going.

Yeah, Toe, I know. I'm pulling out of the funk a little now. Not many people at my job into the Dead either but it's good to find others. What always helped me in the past with the post-show depression for me was thinking about the next one. Might have to plan a little drive down to Terrapin Crossroads for a mini-fix.

That NFA chant was incredible! I've heard it a number of times but it never raised goosebumps on my neck like this one did. EVERY SINGLE PERSON was singing! So powerful! I'm getting chills just remembering it.
Toe likes this.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
Nil

I caught the first show at Santa Clara and it was very special. The double rainbow, the spectacular sunset, and the sound! Levi's stadium is an abomination, but the sound was incredible. I was in seventh heaven during the epic jams on Dark Star and St. Stephen in the second set, from just closing my eyes and trippin' to the music. I watched the following day's show by live streaming to my home theater set-up, and it just couldn't match the sound that I had heard at Levi's; even though the visuals of the band were much better on TV than from the bird's-eye seat that I had the previous day. I also caught the July 4 Chicago show live at a local movie theater and the sound was a bit better but still nothing like being there at Levi's on June 27.

The Blu-ray box set of all the concerts is too pricey for my blood, but I intend to spring for the July 5 finale slated to be released by itself on Blu-ray. It will be interesting to listen to it in TruHD or DTS-HD MA surround to hear if there is an added improvement over the live-streaming sound at the theater. What a long strange trip it's been thanks to this uniquely American (San Franciscan) band!
DeadEd and Toe like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here