9Likes

post #31 of 89 Old 06-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
I would love to have the Blu ray.........the 1994 concert in Edmonton had stereo surround channels (they already had surround channels recorded at the time the album came out).........4.1 at least......different stuff coming out of the surrounds. I would just like to be able to get the Blu ray with the 5.1 too.
There is a 5.1 DTS DVD (audio only) Division Bell disc for preorder at PinkFloyd.com for $14.99:

http://shop.pinkfloyd.com/division-b...1-mix-dvd.html

If you are in Europe start at the shop home page and select non US currency for cheaper shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 89 Old 06-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJau View Post
There is a 5.1 DTS DVD (audio only) Division Bell disc for preorder at PinkFloyd.com for $14.99:

http://shop.pinkfloyd.com/division-b...1-mix-dvd.html

If you are in Europe start at the shop home page and select non US currency for cheaper shipping.

Cool.......I wonder if it is a high res DVD Audio mix? It does not say what it is..........just have to wait and see.
post #33 of 89 Old 06-26-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
Cool.......I wonder if it is a high res DVD Audio mix? It does not say what it is..........just have to wait and see.
Unknown at this stage. He was told 'DTS' so that may be 96/24 or 48/24. It may be a DVD-AV (both DVD-A and Video for compatibility with all players). But probably DVD-V only.
post #34 of 89 Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It's a standard DVD-V disc containing a standard dts 5.1 mix. Apparently the resolution is maxed though for dts, so 1510kbps. It would have been better if it was dts 96/24 but I don't think it is. Aside from that a maxed dts bitrate isn't to bad I guess. It has been confirmed that the blu-ray does contain a high resolution surround version in both dts-HD MA and PCM.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/dvds-b...nd-mix-bl.html

Last edited by Rod#S; 06-26-2014 at 06:02 PM.
post #35 of 89 Old 06-27-2014, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 61
There's still no mention of this 5.1 channel release over on the UK or EU 'official' Pink Floyd web sites

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 89 Old 06-27-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

post #37 of 89 Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

It just seems very lame that they did not do a DVD-A release. If that was done the same resolution as the blu-ray could have been used. Perhaps they thought if they did that fewer people would buy the expensive boxset.

post #38 of 89 Old 06-27-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This link suggests it is a DVD-A. I am confused. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Floyd-D...#ht_837wt_1312
post #39 of 89 Old 06-27-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, yeah definitely confusing. Too bad these sites haven't posted a picture of back of the packaging so we could see what it is that way. I'm always cautious when I read DVD-A because a number of years ago a lot of people fell for false advertising on the Black Sabbath Paranoid album. That turned out to be standard resolution and not a DVD-A release at all.

post #40 of 89 Old 06-28-2014, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Thanks for the link Rod. Disc pre-ordered

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41 of 89 Old 06-28-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

No prob.

Here is a short write up about the DVD, unfortunately not a DVD-A disc.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest...rsary-dvd.html

post #42 of 89 Old 06-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andwhatnot View Post
This link suggests it is a DVD-A. I am confused. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Floyd-D...#ht_837wt_1312
It does not mention MLP is the audio listing. So either it isn't DVD-Audio or 'MLP' was missed in the listing. Also, that is not the cover from the official DVD release. So probably not DVD-Audio or maybe it's bootleg.

Last edited by HomerJau; 06-28-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #43 of 89 Old 07-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The Blu Ray 5.1 mix is excellent. For the most part it is a huge improvement with sound elements I had previously not heard now noticeable in the mix. The clarity is outstanding. Minor nitpicks on the first run through. The vocals on Coming Back to Life seemed a bit clipped. Or it could just be I'm used to Dave's voice as it is today. On High Hopes the slide guitar work is pushed further back in the mix, but it does give the song a much more epic feel as the orchestral instruments are now more prominent in the mix. I like the change overall, but the slide guitar work is so good I would still have liked to see it be just a little more emphasized. I'm going to give it another listen this evening. But definitely the definitive version for me at this point.

post #44 of 89 Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
The Blu Ray 5.1 mix is excellent. For the most part it is a huge improvement with sound elements I had previously not heard now noticeable in the mix. The clarity is outstanding. Minor nitpicks on the first run through. The vocals on Coming Back to Life seemed a bit clipped.
Eh!!! Where did you get a "Blu Ray 5.1 mix" of Division Bell... Oh yeah in that over-priced 20th anniversary deluxe box set

EDIT: Have the DVD versions of this album been removed from Pink Floyd's web site?

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-02-2014 at 09:57 AM.
post #45 of 89 Old 07-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Eh!!! Where did you get a "Blu Ray 5.1 mix" of Division Bell... Oh yeah in that over-priced 20th anniversary deluxe box set

EDIT: Have the DVD versions of this album been removed from Pink Floyd's web site?
Been discussed before. Same price as the Immersion sets. If you don't feel it's worth it, that's certainly your prerogative. I enjoy the Immersion sets I own thoroughly and will enjoy this just as much. I see people in this forum tracking down rare or out of print SACD/DVDA albums and paying close to the same cost. It just boils down to whether it is worth it to you.

The remix is amazingly well done. It exposes elements I had not previously heard. On the majority of tracks it is an across the board improvement for me. Life is short. I'll enjoy this for years.
Aardvark7rules likes this.

post #46 of 89 Old 07-02-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Didn't know this was available, so thanks to all for the heads up. It's always been one of my favorite Floyd albums so I just ordered the box set !

I already have the WYWH and DSOTM Immersion sets. I'm still annoyed that The Wall Immersion set doesn't come with a surround mix so I passed on that one. A massive missed opportunity.

Cheers,

Peter M

post #47 of 89 Old 07-03-2014, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Been discussed before. Same price as the Immersion sets. If you don't feel it's worth it, that's certainly your prerogative. I enjoy the Immersion sets I own thoroughly and will enjoy this just as much. I see people in this forum tracking down rare or out of print SACD/DVDA albums and paying close to the same cost. It just boils down to whether it is worth it to you.

The remix is amazingly well done. It exposes elements I had not previously heard. On the majority of tracks it is an across the board improvement for me. Life is short. I'll enjoy this for years.
Thanks for your take on this one, much appreciated.
post #48 of 89 Old 07-03-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

My "Division Bell" DVD arrived today. The packaging is a simple cardboard sleeve with this very uninspiring cover: -

Anyway, time to back it up and store it on my NAS

post #49 of 89 Old 07-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Didn't know this was available, so thanks to all for the heads up. It's always been one of my favorite Floyd albums so I just ordered the box set !

I already have the WYWH and DSOTM Immersion sets. I'm still annoyed that The Wall Immersion set doesn't come with a surround mix so I passed on that one. A massive missed opportunity.

Cheers,
I passed on The Wall for the same reason. It's not my favorite, but I would really have enjoyed a nice 5.1 mix.

I hope we see Meddle, Animals and Momentary Lapse of Reason at some point. MLOR has a digitally processed sound to it that I would love to see cleaned out (if it's possible). That and it's rumored there has been work done or will be work done to replace some of the synth work with the traditional keyboards of the other albums. Of course with Rick no longer with us I'm not sure if that will still happen. I could see Jon Carin stepping in to fill that role. As much as he worked with the band I would like to think Rick would be fine with it. To me I think he would do his utmost to capture Rick's sound and honor his legacy. I guess time will tell.

Last edited by jeahrens; 07-03-2014 at 01:30 PM.
post #50 of 89 Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My "Division Bell" DVD arrived today. The packaging is a simple cardboard sleeve with this very uninspiring cover: -

What's the back look like?

post #51 of 89 Old 07-03-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
What's the back look like?
Oh, this is embarrassing. I don't have a scanner or a decent camera. All I have is a crappy old mobile phone

Anyway, here you go: -

Cheers

By-the-way... I can't take a photo to save my life!

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-25-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Added a much better image of the rear cover
post #52 of 89 Old 07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post
The idea of forcing people to pay for vinyl just to get the other stuff is the epitome of greed. Sad
"Money it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash"
post #53 of 89 Old 07-04-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
HDTracks just released the 96/24 two channel download for 19.98 In flac/AIFF/WAV
post #54 of 89 Old 07-04-2014, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks SeeMoreDigital

post #55 of 89 Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

How does the 5.1 mix sound? Is this the same mix as the blu ray but just with lower quality dts/dd? If it's the same mix, I am just going this route as I can't justify the box price when all I want is the 5.1 mix. Also, where did you buy this? Not seeing it on Amazon.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; 07-04-2014 at 06:57 AM.
post #56 of 89 Old 07-04-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
How does the 5.1 mix sound? Is this the same mix as the blu ray but just with lower quality dts/dd? If it's the same mix, I am just going this route as I can't justify the box price when all I want is the 5.1 mix. Also, where did you buy this? Not seeing it on Amazon.
The 48KHz/24-bit@1510Kbps multi-channel mix sounds pretty good. And well worth the £13.00 spent, as like many people here, I could not justify the expense of buying the box set.

The disc was available for a few days last week, directly from Pink Floyd's US and UK/EU web site. But sadly, it's not listed any-more. Hopefully it will return

post #57 of 89 Old 07-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
The 48KHz/24-bit@1510Kbps multi-channel mix sounds pretty good. And well worth the £13.00 spent, as like many people here, I could not justify the expense of buying the box set.

The disc was available for a few days last week, directly from Pink Floyd's US and UK/EU web site. But sadly, it's not listed any-more. Hopefully it will return

Thanks for the info! Hope this returns as I would love to grab it! Same Andy Jackson mix as the blu ray from the looks of it as well.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #58 of 89 Old 07-04-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
HDTracks just released the 96/24 two channel download for 19.98 In flac/AIFF/WAV
Yeah, and HDTracks has 15% off this weekend ...
... while Amazon wants $113 for the Division Bell CD
post #59 of 89 Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Thanks for the info! Hope this returns as I would love to grab it! Same Andy Jackson mix as the blu ray from the looks of it as well.
It might be an idea to register yourself on the Pink Floyd web site. That way you're more likely to be informed when limited stuff (like this) is on the way
Toe likes this.

post #60 of 89 Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 PM

The Blu-ray and DVD have the same mix.

Fans with the new 5.1 mix saying this is a better mix than DSOTM and WYWH. More discrete than those James Guthrie mixes. This one by Andy Jackson who did Gilmour's On An Island 5.1 mix.

The DVD should go back on sale on PinkFloyd website once they get more stock in a week or so. Many who ordered a month or so ago got emails saying delayed shipping of about 2 weeks.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page