Allman Brothers "The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings" 3 Bluray box set including previously unreleased tracks - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 06-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

My miss understanding then. All the shows I have seen have been outstanding. There was one show where they were jamming and there was a storm on the horizon. The music and sky just fit so good together. Then there was another show with Betts, where I swear he must have been possessed. But I like the new line up of Derek and Warren. I know what you mean about the solo's though. Either you like them or you don't. But I did see them with Bob Weir one night. OMFG I wanted to just scream get off the stage. It was horrible. The songs did not go anywhere. When The Allman Brothers came on it was like AHHH.
Speaking of Drum Solo's, I really don't mind them. I mean I like Ginger Baker's TOAD solo. Any Rush drum solo is cool with me so I am not that upset when they do it. But on the extras of the Beacon Theater DVD concert, which is fantastic and very hard to get now, the producer told them that if he started to hear 20min drum solo's, he was going to start selling beer at 1/2 price tongue.gif. But I like the jamming aspect of there songs.
This one here is a great cd set.
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Atlanta-Intnl-Pop-Festival/dp/B0000DG00B/ref=sr_1_25?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1401449684&sr=1-25&keywords=allman+brothers
Lot's of good songs on that one and if I am not mistaken, that was before the Filmore concerts. Sort of a warmup. Plus I like Ludlow Garage. Now the problem with that one is that the entire second disk is Mountain Jam. But, I also have Evening with The Allman Brothers Sets one and two and I don't think that has any extended jamming. Plus I bought that one concert with an insane version of Black Hearted Woman and again, the only real extended drums were in Mountain Jam. But I have to admit, I love it all smile.gif.
P.S
Thanks for the tip on getting a cd version out of a BR. I am assuming though it's not free.
Sounds like you have heard some great shows. As to your PS, no the software isn't free but it is free to try for 30 days and is fully functional so wait till you get the set then go for the download. There is probably something free someplace you will have to google it. I have the extractor and it works fine. Thanks for the amazon link. I have the Ludlow Garage discs but prefer the Fillmore discs. I like the Beacon stuff. Probably another reason why I haven't been to one of their concerts in over 20 yrs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 06-01-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Yea, I have been to a ton of really good ABB shows. Plus I like the sites Hittin the note and Hittin the web because they have some shows going back to 2003. They have a just a few from the 70's as well. You would probably like them better biggrin.gif. Thanks for the heads up on the software. I may check it out. But that link is a good show. Plus I have seen Greg on his own and Dickey on his own years ago. Again, both were great shows. Plus I have a Dickey Betts concert as well. So yea, I am a brother for life. There is a personal reason as well but I won't go into that now. But I will be getting the BR version of this at some point.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #33 of 38 Old 06-02-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Yea, I have been to a ton of really good ABB shows.

A few buddies and I used to do an annual road trip where the Brothers played three great outdoor venues in a week (Shoreline Amphitheater, Concord Pavillion, and Greek Theater). Great times as far as I can remember. Sadly it doesn't look like they'll make it back to the West Coast again before calling it quits frown.gif.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #34 of 38 Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Do you mean the exact same mix or mastering of a specific title (one hi-res and one lossy)?

Bill

Yes.
post #35 of 38 Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone have a review of the Blu-Rays?
post #36 of 38 Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would like to hear a review from my AVS brothers, as well. I read a few of the reviews from Amazon, and one that stood out was someone saying the mix wasn't great on the 5.1. That, of course, is the mix I would be most interested in hearing about. I have the SACD version of the concerts and love them. Should I just stick with what I have, or do the 3 blu-rays for $99 (or whatever) price justify the "upgrade".
post #37 of 38 Old 08-22-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
I haven't had a chance to listen to all three Blu-rays but the 5.1 mix is very good. Not what I would call reference quality but still quite enjoyable. I haven't listened to the Mercury SACD 5.1 mix in quite awhile but when I get the chance I'll do a quick comparison between the 5.1 mixes. If I recall I didn't think the SACDs 5.1 mix was that great but still enjoyed it.

The first album I ever bought was Fillmore East so it is one of my favorite albums of all times. I have numerous versions of it so when the "1971 Fillmore East Recordings" was announced I knew the Blu-ray was the one to get. Not only for the new surround mix but even more so for the 14 unreleased tracks.

When I mention reference quality Roxy Music's Avalon and Beck's Sea Change come to mind as being reference quality 5.1 mixes.

The Blu-ray set is available from Bull Moose for $76.97 shipped. I bought mine form Bull Moose and they are an outstanding local (NH and ME) indie music store with excellent pricing.

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16646691/...-blu-ray-audio

Bill
Toe and Joe Hendrix like this.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #38 of 38 Old 09-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thanks! Bill Mac.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page