Allman Brothers "The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings" 3 Bluray box set including previously unreleased tracks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 05-26-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
"The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings" will be a multi format (Vinyl, CDs and Bluray) release of this epic live concert. Included will be previously unreleased tracks and will be available in 5.1 on Bluray remixed specifically for this release by Bill Levenson. I have been a huge Allman Brothers fan for years and Fillmore East was the first album (on vinyl, yeah I'm old biggrin.gif) I ever bought. So I'm very excited to see this release not only for the new 5.1 mix but to hear the previously unreleased tracks. Here is a thread from over at the Steve Hoffman forum discussing this release. The release date is set for July 29th and here is the preorder from Amazon for the 3 Bluray set. In the Amazon preorder "DVD-A" is mentioned which is incorrect as it is on Bluray.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

"The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings" will be a multi format (Vinyl, CDs and Bluray) release of this epic live concert. Included will be previously unreleased tracks and will be available in 5.1 on Bluray remixed specifically for this release by Bill Levenson. I have been a huge Allman Brothers fan for years and Fillmore East was the first album (on vinyl, yeah I'm old biggrin.gif) I ever bought. So I'm very excited to see this release not only for the new 5.1 mix but to hear the previously unreleased tracks. Here is a thread from over at the Steve Hoffman forum discussing this release. The release date is set for July 29th and here is the preorder from Amazon for the 3 Bluray set. In the Amazon preorder "DVD-A" is mentioned which is incorrect as it is on Bluray.

Thanks Bill. Just read through the last few pages of the Steve Hoffman forum and WOW, this release sounds fantastic! Cant wait. cool.gif
Bill Mac likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3 of 38 Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up Bill. I was actually at one of the shows, yeah I'm old too, and it will be good to hear the unreleased tracks. In those days they used to play an early show and a late show so they have a lot to pick from.
post #4 of 38 Old 05-27-2014, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Thanks for the heads up Bill. I was actually at one of the shows, yeah I'm old too, and it will be good to hear the unreleased tracks. In those days they used to play an early show and a late show so they have a lot to pick from.

Ace,

That must have been awesome to be there smile.gif!

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 38 Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:

Statesboro Blues was my absolute favorite song back in those days.
post #6 of 38 Old 05-27-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I love the Brothers. Been a fan all my life. Seen them more times then I can remember. With Dickey and dangerous Dan then with Dickey and Warren then with Derek and Warren. I am very interested in this. I am curious as to what the extras are. Statesboro blues is awesome but there is no denying One way out smile.gif. Or when they are cooking on Black Hearted Woman. But just to be clear, the BR disks are audio only disks right? Not sure I have heard any other BR audio only disks. I have heard SACD and DVD-A of course but not BR audio only.

It ain't easy being green.

post #7 of 38 Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I love the Brothers. Been a fan all my life. Seen them more times then I can remember. With Dickey and dangerous Dan then with Dickey and Warren then with Derek and Warren. I am very interested in this. I am curious as to what the extras are. Statesboro blues is awesome but there is no denying One way out smile.gif. Or when they cooking on Black Hearted Woman. But just to be clear, the BR disks are audio only disks right? Not sure I have heard any other BR audio only disks. I have heard SACD and DVD-A of course but not BR audio only.
There are quite a few blu ray audio only discs out, one of the best is Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes. Pink Floyd has a few but you have to buy a box set to get them, same with Van Morrison and Jethro Tull. Universal Music has a line of Blu Ray audio only titles. look around the forum a little there are plenty of threads covering recent releases.
post #8 of 38 Old 05-28-2014, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are quite a few blu ray audio only discs out, one of the best is Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes. Pink Floyd has a few but you have to buy a box set to get them, same with Van Morrison and Jethro Tull. Universal Music has a line of Blu Ray audio only titles. look around the forum a little there are plenty of threads covering recent releases.
Thanks. I did not know that. It's good to learn new stuff smile.gif. Do any of those have any kind of video, slide show, etc... Or is it just audio.

post #9 of 38 Old 05-28-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The SACD version will sonically beat the blu-ray version every time. I know because purchased both the blu-ray and SACD version of Elton John's "Yellow Brick Road," and it was not contest with the SACD version sounding much better than the blu-ray version.
post #10 of 38 Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

The SACD version will sonically beat the blu-ray version every time. I know because purchased both the blu-ray and SACD version of Elton John's "Yellow Brick Road," and it was not contest with the SACD version sounding much better than the blu-ray version.

More depends on the mastering and the mix of the specfic title than the disc format. I have Pink Floyd's DSOTM and WYWH SACDs as well as the Blu-rays from the Immersion sets. Both formats sound excellent with the SACDs not sonically better than the SACDs. The Fillmore East Mercury/Polydor SACD isn't that best sounding version of Fillmore East. With "The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings" having a new 5.1 mix and probably a remastered (remixed?) stereo layer the Blu-ray should sound better than the SACD. So your assumption that the "SACD version will sonically beat the blu-ray version every time" is incorrect IMO. You use one example of SACD compared to the Blu-ray to form your opinion. Which is not a very good test comparison to form an opinion IMO.

Bill
Toe likes this.

post #11 of 38 Old 05-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which SACD did you use for your comparison, the new remastered 30th Anniversary or the first one from a few years back? I agree with Bill regardless of which was used. It's a big leap to declare that every SACD will beat every blu ray sonically on a one disc comparison.
post #12 of 38 Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. I did not know that. It's good to learn new stuff smile.gif. Do any of those have any kind of video, slide show, etc... Or is it just audio.
There are concert blu rays, which have a lot of video, and just audio only blu rays. After a somewhat slow start it seems like there are a lot of new music related blu rays on the horizon.
post #13 of 38 Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ace,

That must have been awesome to be there smile.gif!

Bill
It was and the Allman Bros weren't even the headliners. Elvin Bishop opened, and he had the Pointer Sisters as back up singers at the time, and then the Bros took the stage. Johnny Winter And, the And being Rick Derringer, were the headliners and the band that I was there to see. Johnny and Rick were very good together but they couldn't follow up what the Allman Bros. delivered. I was only slightly familiar with their first album so a lot of what I heard was new to my ears. I saw them twice after that with Duane and they were even better. I've seen the band 7 times but haven't seen them since Betts left or was thrown out, whichever version you prefer lol.
post #14 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was and the Allman Bros weren't even the headliners. Elvin Bishop opened, and he had the Pointer Sisters as back up singers at the time, and then the Bros took the stage. Johnny Winter And, the And being Rick Derringer, were the headliners and the band that I was there to see. Johnny and Rick were very good together but they couldn't follow up what the Allman Bros. delivered. I was only slightly familiar with their first album so a lot of what I heard was new to my ears. I saw them twice after that with Duane and they were even better. I've seen the band 7 times but haven't seen them since Betts left or was thrown out, whichever version you prefer lol.
Lucky Man to see them with Duane. I am somewhat young but as I said, I have seen them with Betts. But I like them too much to still not and go see them. Derek is amazing. Although I thought I did hear that they are really calling it quits this time. I sort of beleive the "thrown" out story. I saw them once years ago at the Mann in Philly. Dickey was supposed to be there but he was in jail for battery on his wife. They picked up the guitar player from Tom Petty, I think for that night and it was still a great show. But that was it. Then on the DVD Becan concert, some of the extras are interviews. Now a lot of time has passed but it seemed that many members that were close to being original like Butch Trucks and JJJ were indicating that he was not a nice guy. Whether you like the stuff after Dickey is obviously personal preference. Many people think that when Warren joined the band he made it sound to much like Government Mule. They still cooked and I still loved seeing them all the times I did. But I do understand the Dickey stance. My dad is a huge fan of his but he still loves them now anyway, as do I. But this new set should be fantastic. I have seen them probably 7-8 times as well. Their music is just too good for me to stop listening and watching. That's why I also just bought that Greg Allman and all my friends BR. That looks killer as well.

post #15 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are concert blu rays, which have a lot of video, and just audio only blu rays. After a somewhat slow start it seems like there are a lot of new music related blu rays on the horizon.
But we don't know if these blu rays will have any video do we. And they won't have a "cd" layer right? in case someone wants to play this in their car? I am guessing not. I mean, this is not an actual BR concert that has a video of the show right? I have a few of those. It's just %100 audio like all the other older versions correct?

post #16 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But we don't know if these blu rays will have any video do we. And they won't have a "cd" layer right? in case someone wants to play this in their car? I am guessing not. I mean, this is not an actual BR concert that has a video of the show right? I have a few of those. It's just %100 audio like all the other older versions correct?

Mike,

The Fillmore East Blu-rays will be audio only with no video. I do not believe there is any video footage of any of the Fillmore East shows from March 12-13 or the June 27th show. There is no such thing as a "hybrid" Blu-ray with a CD layer.

Bill

post #17 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike,

The Fillmore East Blu-rays will be audio only with no video. I do not believe there is any video footage of any of the Fillmore East shows from March 12-13 or the June 27th show. There is no such thing as a "hybrid" Blu-ray with a CD layer.

Bill
That's what I thought but it never hurts to ask. The only footage I found is some stuff you can get on youtube.. It would have been great if they had a video as well. So now the question is do I do the selfish thing and get the Blu-Ray version which would mean that I could only listen to it on my HT system. Or do I get the CD version so if my dad wants to take it in has truck, he can do that also. Decisions Decisions.

post #18 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's what I thought but it never hurts to ask. The only footage I found is some stuff you can get on youtube.. It would have been great if they had a video as well. So now the question is do I do the selfish thing and get the Blu-Ray version which would mean that I could only listen to it on my HT system. Or do I get the CD version so if my dad wants to take it in has truck, he can do that also. Decisions Decisions.

You could get the Blu-ray set and use the many programs to rip to CD or digital device.

Bill

post #19 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could get the Blu-ray set and use the many programs to rip to CD or digital device.

Bill
That's where I am weak. I can rip to a Hard Drive but I don't know how to rip a BR to a CD. I use Make MKV and dbpoweramp for everything.

post #20 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which SACD did you use for your comparison, the new remastered 30th Anniversary or the first one from a few years back? I agree with Bill regardless of which was used. It's a big leap to declare that every SACD will beat every blu ray sonically on a one disc comparison.

I used the 30th Anniversary edition.
post #21 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

More depends on the mastering and the mix of the specfic title than the disc format. I have Pink Floyd's DSOTM and WYWH SACDs as well as the Blu-rays from the Immersion sets. Both formats sound excellent with the SACDs not sonically better than the SACDs. The Fillmore East Mercury/Polydor SACD isn't that best sounding version of Fillmore East. With "The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings" having a new 5.1 mix and probably a remastered (remixed?) stereo layer the Blu-ray should sound better than the SACD. So your assumption that the "SACD version will sonically beat the blu-ray version every time" is incorrect IMO. You use one example of SACD compared to the Blu-ray to form your opinion. Which is not a very good test comparison to form an opinion IMO.

Bill

All I can tell you is that the blu-ray edition was DTS 96/24 times five channels as well as 2.0 PCM. The SACD was 176/24 PCM times five channels. The blu-ray version seem compressed.
post #22 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All I can tell you is that the blu-ray edition was DTS 96/24 times five channels as well as 2.0 PCM. The SACD was 176/24 PCM times five channels. The blu-ray version seem compressed.

I'm not doubting your opinion on the comparison between the Blu-ray and the SACD of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I'm questioning the fact that you claim "The SACD version will sonically beat the blu-ray version every time". This opinion is based on a comparison of only one title. Hardly backs up your claim is what I'm saying.

Bill

post #23 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's where I am weak. I can rip to a Hard Drive but I don't know how to rip a BR to a CD. I use Make MKV and dbpoweramp for everything.

Don't feel bad as I have no clue how to rip any music to my hard drive. Now that is weak wink.gif.

Bill

post #24 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ordered the blu ray set. I saw the Allmans twice with Duane...once at u of mo in Columbia and once in Chicago. Both times before I believe the Fillmore set was recorded or maybe shortly after. I have never like the sound of the Fillmore east live recording as I did't think it caught the ambience of the hall. I did like the sound of one way out on the eat a peach album so not sure what's up with that. The concert at u of mo is still the best concert I have ever seen. Saw the all mans numerous times over the years. The version with just betts and chuck Levell after Duane's death was pretty special. Oaks was still alive and betts played like had something to prove and he did prove it to me. He was special back in the day.

Also saw betts solo when he had vassar Clements in the band...wow
post #25 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I will probably get the BR set. Might as well get some of the best sound right? This should be good. I also saw Betts years ago solo and he was still on fire.

post #26 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Use MakeMKV to rip the blu ray and then run that file thru a program like DVD Audio Extractor to break the blu ray down to separate tracks. Once that's done you can burn the tracks to a CD.
post #27 of 38 Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lucky Man to see them with Duane. I am somewhat young but as I said, I have seen them with Betts. But I like them too much to still not and go see them. Derek is amazing. Although I thought I did hear that they are really calling it quits this time. I sort of beleive the "thrown" out story. I saw them once years ago at the Mann in Philly. Dickey was supposed to be there but he was in jail for battery on his wife. They picked up the guitar player from Tom Petty, I think for that night and it was still a great show. But that was it. Then on the DVD Becan concert, some of the extras are interviews. Now a lot of time has passed but it seemed that many members that were close to being original like Butch Trucks and JJJ were indicating that he was not a nice guy. Whether you like the stuff after Dickey is obviously personal preference. Many people think that when Warren joined the band he made it sound to much like Government Mule. They still cooked and I still loved seeing them all the times I did. But I do understand the Dickey stance. My dad is a huge fan of his but he still loves them now anyway, as do I. But this new set should be fantastic. I have seen them probably 7-8 times as well. Their music is just too good for me to stop listening and watching. That's why I also just bought that Greg Allman and all my friends BR. That looks killer as well.
The reason I haven't gone to see them in recent years has nothing to do with the loss of Betts. I offered that up only as a point of reference. The last two times I saw them they varied their set very little and had replaced Chuck Leavell with a hack keyboard player who absolutely butchered Jessica and pretty much everything else he played. It was so bad that Greg apologized saying he was new. During one number, I can't remember which one, every member of the band took an extended solo before walking off to take a set break. The guitar solos weren't bad but with so much interplay in each song it seemed kind of indulgent. The piano solo was abysmal the bass solo was short and then came the drum solos which seemed to last forever. I like both drummers but dislike extended drum solos in general. All this soloing really took the audience out of the show. They got the crowd back in the 2nd set and the encore. The next time same thing leading up to the set break but this time the crowd did not come all the way back after the set break and the piano player butchered Jessica again. I plan on picking up Greg's autobiography this weekend and look forward to reading what he has to say about Betts. Like you I have heard that he is one mean SOB, especially when he drinks.
post #28 of 38 Old 05-30-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

My miss understanding then. All the shows I have seen have been outstanding. There was one show where they were jamming and there was a storm on the horizon. The music and sky just fit so good together. Then there was another show with Betts, where I swear he must have been possessed. But I like the new line up of Derek and Warren. I know what you mean about the solo's though. Either you like them or you don't. But I did see them with Bob Weir one night. OMFG I wanted to just scream get off the stage. It was horrible. The songs did not go anywhere. When The Allman Brothers came on it was like AHHH.
Speaking of Drum Solo's, I really don't mind them. I mean I like Ginger Baker's TOAD solo. Any Rush drum solo is cool with me so I am not that upset when they do it. But on the extras of the Beacon Theater DVD concert, which is fantastic and very hard to get now, the producer told them that if he started to hear 20min drum solo's, he was going to start selling beer at 1/2 price tongue.gif. But I like the jamming aspect of there songs.
This one here is a great cd set.
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Atlanta-Intnl-Pop-Festival/dp/B0000DG00B/ref=sr_1_25?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1401449684&sr=1-25&keywords=allman+brothers
Lot's of good songs on that one and if I am not mistaken, that was before the Filmore concerts. Sort of a warmup. Plus I like Ludlow Garage. Now the problem with that one is that the entire second disk is Mountain Jam. But, I also have Evening with The Allman Brothers Sets one and two and I don't think that has any extended jamming. Plus I bought that one concert with an insane version of Black Hearted Woman and again, the only real extended drums were in Mountain Jam. But I have to admit, I love it all smile.gif.
P.S
Thanks for the tip on getting a cd version out of a BR. I am assuming though it's not free.

post #29 of 38 Old 05-30-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not doubting your opinion on the comparison between the Blu-ray and the SACD of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I'm questioning the fact that you claim "The SACD version will sonically beat the blu-ray version every time". This opinion is based on a comparison of only one title. Hardly backs up your claim is what I'm saying.

Bill

Your point is well received. Maybe I should clarify my position. Basically, with all else being equal, uncompressed audio will beat compressed audio every time.
post #30 of 38 Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Your point is well received. Maybe I should clarify my position. Basically, with all else being equal, uncompressed audio will beat compressed audio every time.

Do you mean the exact same mix or mastering of a specific title (one hi-res and one lossy)? If so I would have to agree with you. If not then I would have to disagree with your assumption. Not "every" hi-res title is going to beat every lossy title. I'm not sure if you have heard Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth DTS CD. If you haven't you would be amazed how incredible this lossy DTS CD sounds. So once again I would have to say it is more about the qulaity of the mix and the mastering in regard to SQ. Much more so than the disc format or whether it is hi-res or lossy IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Judges-Ruth-Lyle-Lovett/dp/B00000DD9O/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1401478131&sr=1-1&keywords=joshua+judges+ruth+dts

Bill
Toe likes this.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page