Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Clarification from experts regarding setting LPCM on PS4 needed

Hi all,

I've read a fair amount of threads on this site, but never really posted anything yet! I've had a living room setup for quite a while and recently just changed my settings around so that I have picked LPCM to get lossless / uncompressed audio and the best possible sound from my setup. Before I've always had it set so that I see the Dolby Digital 5.1 / HD or DTS 5.1 / HD lights show up on my receiver. I basically want to be sure my changes are okay and I'm getting the right output as I should be for my setup. It's crazy how many people in threads have said yes to LPCM then others saying to get their AV showing the DD/DTS/HD lights instead and go for that.

First of all, my setup:

AV: Sony STR-DH820
Speakers: Tannoy Mercury V4/V1/VC
Cable: Cambridge Audio Ultra 100/4mm Banana Plugs
Sub: BK XLS200 MK2-FF
(Therefore 5.1)

So, the two devices I have changed settings for are my Playstation 3 Slim and Playstation 4. Both are hooked up via HDMI straight into the AV. It's my Playstation 4 I use the most now.

Playstation 4:
I use my Playstation 4 for Blu-rays, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, DVDs and games.

Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings
Primary Output Port = HDMI OUT (with Output 5.1ch Audio ticked)
Audio Format (Priority) = Linear PCM

Pressing Triangle during a Blu-ray shows "AVC DTS-HD MA 7.1ch 48kHz" on the Blu-ray menu.

Dual Shock 4 Options button > Settings
Audio Format is set to Linear PCM (Noise Reduction and Dynamic Range Control are Off).

Playstation 3:
This is now only used for games.

Video Settings > BD/DVD - Audio a Output Format (HDMI) > Linear PCM
Sound Settings > Audio Output Settings > HDMI > Automatic (picks up all supported formats of my AV)

AV:
Surround setting (Sound Field) set to HD-D.C.S. > Studio
HDMI Settings > Ctrl for HDMI set to Off and Audio out to AMP

Now with all the above settings, in menus, Blu-rays, games, Netflix etc the receiver always shows the following on the front panel display:

LPCM [48] KHz

Is this expected? And with the above settings, I will be getting the uncompressed lossless audio to my speakers?

Oh and Sky HD is connected using Optical and shows Dolby Digital 5.1 on HD channels on the AV and LPCM [48] KHz for non HD channels.

Any clarifications or advise would be much appreciated to ease my mind I'm very picky about these things and always changing settings around and reading online, but just does my head in when I hear conflicting comments!

Thanks a lot all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-07-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Welcome to AVS! With my PS3 setup, when setting my sound output to LPCM or Bitsteam (DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD = pretty lights), the sound quality is the same, as it should be, because they are both lossless formats. LPCM showing on your avr is correct because you are outputting Linear PCM in the Video Settings.

Some people say they hear a difference between the two, but in reality they should not. Something with their audio gear makes it sound different imo.

With the PS3 and possibly the PS4 ( I have no experience with the ps4 yet) you can switch between LPCM and Bitstream output on the fly, so you can hear for yourself if there is a difference in sound quality.

While you are watching a movie(BD concert films with HD audio are best for this) press the triangle button. The control panel will popup. Go to the AV setting icon and switch between LPCM and Bitstream output and see if you notice a difference. Go back and forth if you have to. If one sounds better than the other select that output setting. Everyone wants the best sound they can get

Edit: I checked the PS4 manual and it states you can change the audio output format on the fly by using the "options" button.

Last edited by rupterr; 08-07-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added text
post #3 of 3 Old 08-08-2014, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi rupterr, thanks for the reply. Yes I spent yesterday evening just playing around with a lot of settings, on the PS4 I ended up switching between the options like you mentioned on the fly. I just wanted to ensure, for the setup I have, and the AV, it's best to just stick with LPCM to get the lossless sound and what I was seeing on my receiver was okay. Before I always thought if I didn't see it pop up with DD/DTS but LPCM, something was wrong. I think this was initially because LPCM only shows up on non-HD channels on SkyHD while the HD ones show Dolby Digital 5.1, so I always had the impression it was "worse".
Reply Surround Music Formats
Gear in this thread