Will the receiver play these files - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Will the receiver play these files

I am looking at purchasing either the Yamaha RX-V675 or RX-V773 receiver. The RX-V675 has support for FLAC/WAV 192 kHz files, which the RX-V773 does not. I have all of my files ripped as WAV (lossless) files. Will the RX-V773 be able to play these if it doesn't have support for FLAC/WAV 192 kHz files?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
I am looking at purchasing either the Yamaha RX-V675 or RX-V773 receiver. The RX-V675 has support for FLAC/WAV 192 kHz files, which the RX-V773 does not. I have all of my files ripped as WAV (lossless) files. Will the RX-V773 be able to play these if it doesn't have support for FLAC/WAV 192 kHz files?

Thanks
If it doesn't support them, then you can't play them directly through the receiver. But if you have a device that can play them and output PCM- like your computer or an Oppo, then you can go that route.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
If it doesn't support them, then you can't play them directly through the receiver. But if you have a device that can play them and output PCM- like your computer or an Oppo, then you can go that route.
Thanks, but I'm still in my native state (confused). I ripped the files onto my computer as .WAV files, essentially just copied over the CDs I'm guessing. When I stream them to my current receiver, a Yamaha RX-A2030 the display generated by the receiver indicates PCM. Does that mean that the PC is doing some encoding? I'm looking to purchase one of the two receivers in the first post factory refurbished for use in a bedroom. They cost the same. The 773 is older, but one notch higher in the product line. It has preamp outs, comes with a WiFi adapter, a second HDMI output and a couple of other goodies. But I'd rather get the 675 if I won't be able to stream music from my PC.

Thanks again,
Marc
post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm still in my native state (confused). I ripped the files onto my computer as .WAV files, essentially just copied over the CDs I'm guessing. When I stream them to my current receiver, a Yamaha RX-A2030 the display generated by the receiver indicates PCM. Does that mean that the PC is doing some encoding? I'm looking to purchase one of the two receivers in the first post factory refurbished for use in a bedroom. They cost the same. The 773 is older, but one notch higher in the product line. It has preamp outs, comes with a WiFi adapter, a second HDMI output and a couple of other goodies. But I'd rather get the 675 if I won't be able to stream music from my PC.

Thanks again,
Marc
Now you've got me confused (also a not uncommon situation for me).

If you just ripped CD's into wav. files, they should be 16/44.1, not 24/192. I just checked out the features for the 773 and you should have no trouble streaming to the it since it is DLNA certified (the standard for streaming audio) as well as airplay enabled (for Apple products). Looks like a fine piece of kit. If you have an ipad, that would hook up nicely (app to control receiver, easy streaming via airplay). This baby would make for a great centerpiece for a killer BR system. What speakers are you planning to hook to them? Gonna do 5.1 in the BR? If so, I'm envious...
post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Now you've got me confused (also a not uncommon situation for me).

If you just ripped CD's into wav. files, they should be 16/44.1, not 24/192. I just checked out the features for the 773 and you should have no trouble streaming to the it since it is DLNA certified (the standard for streaming audio) as well as airplay enabled (for Apple products). Looks like a fine piece of kit. If you have an ipad, that would hook up nicely (app to control receiver, easy streaming via airplay). This baby would make for a great centerpiece for a killer BR system. What speakers are you planning to hook to them? Gonna do 5.1 in the BR? If so, I'm envious...
Thanks Jim. Sounds like I should be OK. I have no idea about the 16/44.1 or 24/192. I just saw the Flac/WAV in the feature sheet and decided to be cautious. When I spoke to Yamaha the representative wasn't too sure beyond, "it's some audiophile standard so you should be fine". Not too impressive a system in the bedroom, just my leftovers from my living room. When our house was built the builder wired in 3 Klipsch wall speakers (3650s I believe) in the front and two in the ceiling as the rears. I was using an old Def Tech sub. I just replaced the three front speakers with a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s and a CC-690 center, along with the Yamaha RX-A2030.

At first I figured I'd sell the Klipsch on eBay. When I saw what they were going for I decided it was barely worth the effort. At this point I replaced the left and right speakers and decided to use the Klipsch in the master bedroom, driving them with the zone 2 output from the Yamaha. Then I replaced the Def Tech with a Paradigm Ultracube 12 sub and purchased the CC-690. So I figured if I just purchased a home theater receiver I have enough speakers for at least a 3.1 system. So it really materialized out of extra speakers sitting around and too much time on my hands (my apologies to Styx). I may add rear speakers in the ceiling one day, but at least it's a lot better than the TV speakers I was using several months ago.

BTW, I lived in southeastern VA (Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Newport News) for 17 years. Charlottesville is a beautiful area.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jim. Sounds like I should be OK. I have no idea about the 16/44.1 or 24/192. I just saw the Flac/WAV in the feature sheet and decided to be cautious. When I spoke to Yamaha the representative wasn't too sure beyond, "it's some audiophile standard so you should be fine". Not too impressive a system in the bedroom, just my leftovers from my living room. When our house was built the builder wired in 3 Klipsch wall speakers (3650s I believe) in the front and two in the ceiling as the rears. I was using an old Def Tech sub. I just replaced the three front speakers with a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s and a CC-690 center, along with the Yamaha RX-A2030.

At first I figured I'd sell the Klipsch on eBay. When I saw what they were going for I decided it was barely worth the effort. At this point I replaced the left and right speakers and decided to use the Klipsch in the master bedroom, driving them with the zone 2 output from the Yamaha. Then I replaced the Def Tech with a Paradigm Ultracube 12 sub and purchased the CC-690. So I figured if I just purchased a home theater receiver I have enough speakers for at least a 3.1 system. So it really materialized out of extra speakers sitting around and too much time on my hands (my apologies to Styx). I may add rear speakers in the ceiling one day, but at least it's a lot better than the TV speakers I was using several months ago.

BTW, I lived in southeastern VA (Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Newport News) for 17 years. Charlottesville is a beautiful area.
LOL- just another facet of the disease that most of us here suffer from: upgradeitis. "I want better sound, so I'll get new speakers; now that I have extra speakers, I'll just add an avr and make another system." Next comes upgrading the speakers in the BR.

Actually, that's a lot of receiver for those speakers. If you want to save some money, you might want to look into a used receiver. It seems all you need is DLNA certified, which has been common on receivers for years. Since AVR's become obsolete so quickly, you can get an excellent one for really cheap since you don't need all the bells and whistles. Something to consider.

OTOH, you could get some better speakers if you get this AVR. Personally, I was never a fan of in-walls/in-ceiling speakers, esp. for the front 3 (YMMV of course). If it was me, I'd put what you have in the wall/ceiling for surround speakers and get some inexpensive bookshelfs for the front 3; I think you could spend as little as $300 for the 3 w/ some careful shopping and end up w/ a significant upgrade in sound over in-walls. But that's just my opinion and free advice- which as we know is generally only worth what you paid for it.

Yes, C'ville is a beautiful area; it's made many top 10 lists for best places to live in the US. Unfortunately, it's really starting to get too overcrowded and has lost some of it's small-town charm, but it's still a great place to live. UVA is my alma mater and I was born here, so it's very special to me.

OTOH, VA beach and all that surrounds it is quite a mess imo. Though I did see a great Yesshow at Hampton Rds. But if I want to go to the beach, I choose NC or MD over the Tidewater mess.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-19-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
LOL- just another facet of the disease that most of us here suffer from: upgradeitis. "I want better sound, so I'll get new speakers; now that I have extra speakers, I'll just add an avr and make another system." Next comes upgrading the speakers in the BR.

Actually, that's a lot of receiver for those speakers. If you want to save some money, you might want to look into a used receiver. It seems all you need is DLNA certified, which has been common on receivers for years. Since AVR's become obsolete so quickly, you can get an excellent one for really cheap since you don't need all the bells and whistles. Something to consider.

OTOH, you could get some better speakers if you get this AVR. Personally, I was never a fan of in-walls/in-ceiling speakers, esp. for the front 3 (YMMV of course). If it was me, I'd put what you have in the wall/ceiling for surround speakers and get some inexpensive bookshelfs for the front 3; I think you could spend as little as $300 for the 3 w/ some careful shopping and end up w/ a significant upgrade in sound over in-walls. But that's just my opinion and free advice- which as we know is generally only worth what you paid for it.

Yes, C'ville is a beautiful area; it's made many top 10 lists for best places to live in the US. Unfortunately, it's really starting to get too overcrowded and has lost some of it's small-town charm, but it's still a great place to live. UVA is my alma mater and I was born here, so it's very special to me.

OTOH, VA beach and all that surrounds it is quite a mess imo. Though I did see a great Yesshow at Hampton Rds. But if I want to go to the beach, I choose NC or MD over the Tidewater mess.
You don't know how right you are. I originally purchased a Yamaha HTR-4066 (same as RX-V475) last week on Newegg.com for $249. Then I noticed the two aforementioned receivers on Newegg and Amazon for about $370. (Amazon was #350 , but with tax they were the same). So I started thinking of a return and replacement. Well a half hour ago I noticed that the 4066 was down to $199. So I called them and they're refunding the difference. So I think I'll just stick with that one for a bedroom.

I know what you mean about in-wall speakers, but with our room layout the WAF is much higher. Most of the time I use them to listen to a little music when I go to bed.

I agree about Hampton Roads. Vero Beach is a very lazy town. The traffic kills me when I go back to visit.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page