• 1 Post By JimWinVA
  • 1 Post By rupterr

post #1 of 24 Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Steven Wilson's next Yes re-mix is

Relayer! I was sure it would be Tales, but it appears that has been postponed so they can release Relayer in a 40th anniv edition.

Due in late Oct.
AnthemAZ.HDTV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ha, we must have posted within seconds of each other, lol. Maybe a mod can combine the threads?
post #3 of 24 Old 08-25-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post
Ha, we must have posted within seconds of each other, lol. Maybe a mod can combine the threads?
LOL- great minds think alike! Yes, it must have been at the same time. I came here looking to see other's reactions to the news that I first got from QQ, then went to SHTV to read comments, then here. I was surprised no one had started a thread so I did a quick one.

I was sure Tales would be next so my initial reaction to this was actually disappointment!

That didn't last long though. This should be stunning in 5.1 and as many have noted elsewhere, thie sonics on this album have never been great and will benefit immensely from SW's magic. And only about 2 months or so to wait (given no delays).
post #4 of 24 Old 08-25-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
LOL- great minds think alike! Yes, it must have been at the same time. I came here looking to see other's reactions to the news that I first got from QQ, then went to SHTV to read comments, then here. I was surprised no one had started a thread so I did a quick one.

I was sure Tales would be next so my initial reaction to this was actually disappointment!

That didn't last long though. This should be stunning in 5.1 and as many have noted elsewhere, thie sonics on this album have never been great and will benefit immensely from SW's magic. And only about 2 months or so to wait (given no delays).

I'm still disappointed, but I'll get it anyway. After how TYA turned out, I'm going to get every Yes album SW decides to do.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
I'm still disappointed, but I'll get it anyway. After how TYA turned out, I'm going to get every Yes album SW decides to do.
Here's hoping you have many more to get!

Not a fan of Relayer? I love all the main sequence (TYA-> GFTO), but I would probably put Relayer and GFTO just a notch below the other 4, so it's only near-perfection.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here's hoping you have many more to get!

Not a fan of Relayer? I love all the main sequence (TYA-> GFTO), but I would probably put Relayer and GFTO just a notch below the other 4, so it's only near-perfection.

Relayer is good, GFTO has it's moments but they are a notch below the big 4. It's just I really, really wanted Tales.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-25-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Relayer is good, GFTO has it's moments but they are a notch below the big 4. It's just I really, really wanted Tales.
I'm with you there. Now, to make the anticipation even deeper, someone at SHTV has suggested that there might be video from the tour to accompany Tales re-mix! Don't toy w/ me like that!
ti-triodes likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I was hoping for Fragile

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #9 of 24 Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
I was hoping for Fragile
There was a recent interview w/ Howe discussing these releases and he said they were getting ready to work on Fragile, so that pretty much ruled out that being next- but possibly up after Relayer. Personally, I'm happy w/ my dvd-a of Fragile, imperfect as it is- enough that I'm content to wait for that one until last. Though I'd be surprised if SW's version doesn't blow away the existing one.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-26-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There was a recent interview w/ Howe discussing these releases and he said they were getting ready to work on Fragile, so that pretty much ruled out that being next- but possibly up after Relayer. Personally, I'm happy w/ my dvd-a of Fragile, imperfect as it is- enough that I'm content to wait for that one until last. Though I'd be surprised if SW's version doesn't blow away the existing one.

If he fixes JA's vocals, it can't help but be better.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I too have the DVD-A of Fragile but I prefer when these releases come in chronological order.
That's the thing that has really frustrated me with the King Crimson releases.
They were proceeding at a really nice rate and then they started releasing the mega-disc live sets and we still do not have all of what I consider to be the classic KC studio releases yet.
I'm not whining, well maybe a bit, and believe me I'm happy as hell to be getting these but sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to the schedule, imo.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #12 of 24 Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I too have the DVD-A of Fragile but I prefer when these releases come in chronological order.
That's the thing that has really frustrated me with the King Crimson releases.
They were proceeding at a really nice rate and then they started releasing the mega-disc live sets and we still do not have all of what I consider to be the classic KC studio releases yet.
I'm not whining, well maybe a bit, and believe me I'm happy as hell to be getting these but sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to the schedule, imo.
I feel differently. I was so happy that CttE was the 1st Yes re-mix; I've been wanting that in 5.1 since I 1st got into surround (w/ Fragile and ELP's BSS). I think there was a reason behind doing CttE 1st. They likely assumed that would be one of if not the biggest sellers in Yes' catalog (rightly so imo) and if that hadn't sold well, that would have been the end. A good way to test the waters, so to speak. Just my guess though, no evidence to back up my theory.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have never owned this album, now I have a reason to.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #14 of 24 Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Some additional info.

Presented in a mini vinyl replica gatefold card sleeve (with protective inner sleeves) with booklet featuring new sleeve notes by Sid Smith, along with rare photos and archive material, the album has been remixed into stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound from the original studio masters by Steven Wilson and is fully approved by Yes.

The blu-ray also contains the original album mix in high-resolution, a complete alternate album running order drawn from demos and studio run-throughs. Additional Blu-Ray exclusive features include additional demo/studio run-throughs, full album instrumental mixes, a full album needle-drop of an original UK A1/B1 vinyl pressing, singles edits, a live tracks and needle-drops of the banded tracks from the original US vinyl promo album.

The DVDA also contains the original album mix in high-resolution, and a complete alternate album running order drawn from demos/studio run-throughs
post #15 of 24 Old 08-29-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I am thrilled. Relayer is actually among my favorite Yes albums -- edgy, layered, complex, and often challenging. While Tales would clearly be a feast for surround fans (and it may be #2 on my personal list for many of the same reasons), and I hope it doesn't get skipped entirely due to its length -- a surround mix of Gates of Delirium alone will be worth the price.

My main criticism of Relayer is that it marks the beginning of Howe's overuse of the pedal steel, which reaches its peak on Going for the One. As a fan of country and bluegrass as well as prog, I have a tough time listening to it; he's just not that good.

My favorite thing about the last Asia show I saw was that he never played it once.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #16 of 24 Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great news. One of my favorite Yes albums as well. Can't wait to hear "Sound Chaser" and all the rest enveloping me in my HT.
post #17 of 24 Old 08-31-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I feel differently. I was so happy that CttE was the 1st Yes re-mix; I've been wanting that in 5.1 since I 1st got into surround (w/ Fragile and ELP's BSS). I think there was a reason behind doing CttE 1st. They likely assumed that would be one of if not the biggest sellers in Yes' catalog (rightly so imo) and if that hadn't sold well, that would have been the end. A good way to test the waters, so to speak. Just my guess though, no evidence to back up my theory.
Jim, don't you think that Fragile would sell well?
Aside from Yes aficionados, I would guess that Fragile initially sold better than Relayer.
I'm sure I'll buy it although I've never heard it

post #18 of 24 Old 08-31-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Jim, don't you think that Fragile would sell well?
Aside from Yes aficionados, I would guess that Fragile initially sold better than Relayer.
I'm sure I'll buy it although I've never heard it
Oh yes, I think Fragile would sell well. I think it also has higher sales potential than Relayer. My theory on testing the waters was just for the 1st release; since that sold so well (apparently), as did TYA following it, they're free to release whatever now. If they really were planning on Tales before switching to Relayer last minute, that just shows they're not making units sold the 1st priority now (if it ever indeed was a consideration).

Never heard Relayer huh? You're in for quite a treat: there are numerous passages of pure sonic assault; contrasted w/ swirling ethereal beauty. Should be fantastic in 5.1.

FYI, in case you weren't aware, side 1's 20+ minute opus is Anderson's take on War and Peace, including the battle section, where all hell breaks loose, all resolving in the anthemic "Soon" section, featuring Howe wailing on pedal steel.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-31-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jim.
I looked up Relayer on Wikipedia.
Didn't realize that Wakeman left after Tales.
This might seem heresy to some, but that is a plus for me to buy it.

post #20 of 24 Old 09-01-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Jim.
I looked up Relayer on Wikipedia.
Didn't realize that Wakeman left after Tales.
This might seem heresy to some, but that is a plus for me to buy it.

If you saw the Yes family tree, it would look like a pound of spaghetti thrown against the wall.
post #21 of 24 Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
FYI, in case you weren't aware, side 1's 20+ minute opus is Anderson's take on War and Peace, including the battle section, where all hell breaks loose, all resolving in the anthemic "Soon" section, featuring Howe wailing on pedal steel.
Long before there was the LOTR movie trilogy, I imagined the climactic moments of The Gates of Delirium to be the ideal background music for the struggle between Frodo and Gollum for the Ring on Mount Doom (yes, I was/am a LOTR nerd from actually reading the books as a teenager). In fact, I still can't hear Relayer without thinking of my directorial debut using Relayer as the movie score, lol.

For those that haven't experienced Relayer yet, it should be a real treat in surround. Since we have to wait awhile longer for Tales, this is a nice consolation. I'm really looking forward to hear what SW does with Sound Chaser.
post #22 of 24 Old 09-02-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm a hard core yes fan, probably seen them 20 times throughout the years. My 1st time seeing them was with Peter Frampton (Frampton Comes Alive) and Gary Wright at JFK stadium, Philadelphia, Pa in 1976. I love all their albums, but Relayer is my favorite really. When I pick a Yes album to listen to my go to is "Relayer".

I know alot of Yes fans that did not get into this album, for whatever reason. Musically, I think it's their best performance, they were at the top of their game. Patrick Moraz, taking over for Wakeman, is a good keyboardist. If Steve Wilson comes through like he usually does this is going to be one heck of a listen.

It's only three songs, and they are all GREAT! "The Gates of Delirium" is so good, ending with the section called "Soon" which I had the pleasure of seeing them perform live at the Spectrum in Philadelphia years ago. Jon Anderson's voice in this section sends chills down the spine. Sound Chaser should be flying all around the room which will lead into "To Be Over", which is a great song in it's own right.

If your a Yes fan and never really got into this one, it may become your favorite as well, like me. God I can't wait for this one.
AnthemAZ.HDTV likes this.

Last edited by rupterr; 09-02-2014 at 04:23 PM.
post #23 of 24 Old 09-04-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Pretty much a carbon-copy of my thoughts on the subject...

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #24 of 24 Old 09-04-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
agree,Personally, I'm happy w/ my dvd-a of Fragile, imperfect as it is- enough that I'm content to wait for that one until last. Though I'd be surprised if SW's version doesn't blow away the existing one.[IMG]http://*******/ndijjj[/IMG]thanks
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page