smart TV wont play surround sound while using the smart internet apps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
smart TV wont play surround sound while using the smart internet apps

HI all

I have a Panasonic Flat screen with Viera smart technology. I sometimes use the volume on the TV but I also have it hooked up to a surround sound through HDMI I beleive. When I use the smart App to go on youtube for example it works fine as far as the picture. For some reason however it will only play the sound through the TV and not the surround Sound. Surround works pefectly on normal Cable channels. Am I doing something wrong? Does it need a certain connection to play the smart apps through surround? Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Your TV may have a setting to enable the external speakers. How are you sending audio from the TV to the sound system?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You may have to enable external speakers like B I suggested but you might also have to assign the HDMI to a particular input like Cable or DVD etc if you are going in to a AV receiver then choose that input when you want to hear it from the receiver. You might need to turn the sound down on the tv too if the tv menu doesn't say anything about external speakers.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
You may have to enable external speakers like B I suggested but you might also have to assign the HDMI to a particular input like Cable or DVD etc if you are going in to a AV receiver then choose that input when you want to hear it from the receiver. You might need to turn the sound down on the tv too if the tv menu doesn't say anything about external speakers.
I believe everything is connected to hdmi wire. When I put surround system I tv normally always recognized that and sys found through surround. It just simply won't do it through the smart apps
post #5 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Go in to tv menu. Scroll down to setup. From there choose Viera link settings. From there look for a setting for audio. The default setting is for the TV's speakers. I also have a Panny with Viera apps and just looked at settings. It should work but if not get out the owners manual and see what it says. It's possible but not likely that you may have to run a separate audio cable.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sufficed to say, don't expect to hear surround audio from any YouTube video. At the most they'll all be 2Ch (stereo)...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k23ms123 View Post
I believe everything is connected to hdmi wire. When I put surround system I tv normally always recognized that and sys found through surround. It just simply won't do it through the smart apps
Are you saying the TV and surround system are connected with a single HDMI cable and there's no optical cable that would send sound from the TV to the surround system? If so, do both devices support ARC (audio return channel) and is the HDMI cable plugged into an ARC cable input in the TV?
post #8 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm let me check maybe its possible I do have an HDMI and optical cable If thats the case do I need to do something different for youtube to play through my surround?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

You have to decide how you are feeding the audio from the set to the receiver and configure the equipment accordingly.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Once you do what BI said you need to go in to the set up on the TV itself and assign the speakers for the Viera app thru the set up menu.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page