AVS Forum banner

Sampling Rate

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Milt99 
#1 ·
I have an Integra DHC 40.2 that I use for playback of DVD Audio and SACD. It is connected via HDMI to an Integra DHC 40.2 which is capable of DSD decoding. If I have the Oppo send out the SACD signal and hit display, the Integra says the sampling frequency is only 44.1khz. If I switch it to PCM, the sampling frequency increases to 88.2khz. However, DVD Audio which the Integra isn't supposed to be able to decode, will show a sampling display of whatever the disc is listed at. For example The Eagles Hotel California on surround playback shows 96khz 5.1 and on high resolution stereo playback will show 192khz 2.0. Is this normal? Why would the DSD be at a lower rate than DVD Audio? And also why does it drop to 44.1khz decoding straight DSD but jump up to 88.2khz decoding PCM? I may be crazy but I always thought DVD Audio discs always sounded slightly better than SACD even with my older players that were connected to my old Integra receiver via the analog outputs. Is there anything to this? This is my 2nd Integra and always thought they were good quality. Anyone out there with a better receiver or prepro that does anything different?

#2 ·
Some AVRs decode DSD to 44K. Some just erroneously report 44K. You'd want to ask in the dedicated thread for that model to find out what its doing with DSD input.

Its important to note that no AVR can apply processing to DSD (EQ, levels, etc) without first converting it to PCM. There's really no reason not to let your Oppo decode SACD to PCM.

#3 · (Edited)
...DVD Audio which the Integra isn't supposed to be able to decode, will show a sampling display of whatever the disc is listed at. For example The Eagles Hotel California on surround playback shows 96khz 5.1 and on high resolution stereo playback will show 192khz 2.0. Is this normal?...
First, I set my OPPO to send LPCM. As rdgrimes stated it must be converted to LPCM anyway (unless sending direct with NO processing).

DSD (SA-CD) sampling rate is 2.8224 mHz and your receiver probably just doesn't have a display mode for this.

EDIT: You can me assured you are not getting 44.1 downsammpled DSD. If so it would be unlistenable with only about 6dB of dynamic range.:eek:

DVD-A is encoded in MLP and this is always decoded to LPCM in the player.

DVD-A is up to 96/24 on 5.1 and up to 192/24 on 2.0.

#4 ·
William,

Thanks for responding. I've had the Integra for over a year and just got the Oppo a few months ago. I'm still constantly changing settings on both to see what sounds best to me. When you say you have your Oppo set to send LPCM signals, is that just for DSD or for everything? I was always led to believe Integra's equipment was supposed to be pretty good. When I bought my first Integra receiver years ago, I was looking for a replacement for a Harmon Kardon. The shop I went to told me HK's quality was headed downhill. This was around 2000 or 01 and he steered me to Integra. When I told him I never heard of them he explained to me that they were made by Onkyo but comparing the 2 Onkyo was like Sony and the Integra was like the Sony ES. Would it be accurate to say that the decoder or processor in the Oppo is of better quality than in the Integra? From what I read on this forum people are pretty split on wether they like Onkyo/Integra but everyone seems to love Oppo's products. This was my main reason for buying the Oppo. I tend to believe that if they weren't fabulous products, people would rip them badly considering the cost like they do Bose.

#6 ·
From what I read on this forum people are pretty split on wether they like Onkyo/Integra but everyone seems to love Oppo's products. This was my main reason for buying the Oppo. I tend to believe that if they weren't fabulous products, people would rip them badly considering the cost like they do Bose.
I've had a few Onkyo receivers over the years. And while they've been pretty good when playing multi-channel 'movie' audio sources, I find them pretty harsh when playing multi-channel 'music' audio sources.

From what I understand, the Integra range of products have been designed to be more musical than the Onkyo's, so they might well be worth a try, especially as the newer models include 'on-board' DSD decoders (meaning there's no need to set-up the Oppo to transcode DSD to PCM)...

#8 ·
fireprix, to clearly answer your question about sending a DSD out from the Oppo.
If you want to do bass management, DSD has to be converted to PCM in order to manipulate the signal.
IF you are not doing bass management, set it to DSD.

As another poster stated I would look in the dedicated thread for the Integra(or the manual or look for reviews) and see what others are experiencing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.