AVS Forum banner

Anybody listening to Electronic Dance Music on AVS?

998 views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  video_analysis 
#1 ·
Currently listening to this now.Anybody listening to EDM here?

#2 ·
Currently listening to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neAMkgYta9Mright now.Anybody listening to EDM here?
Intertesting. I do remember a Canadian rock band in the '80s from Prince Edward Island called Haywire that had a modicum of success with such hits (up here anyway) as Bad Bad Boy, Dance Desire, Black & Blue. Not familiar with this Haywyre, about the only electronic I listen to is Nova June a bit, and guess they wouldn't be considered dance though. Cool that you're liking this, thanks for sharing. :cool:

Bill

#6 ·
#4 ·
If you classify Underworld as EDM which I think one would, yes I listen to lots of it. Underworld has been in consistent rotation for about 20 years since I first heard dubnobasswithmyheadman. Every album from that one to 2011's Barking is worth owning, and Barking shows they have no signs of slowing down as it's really terrific.

This is the original version of the song that plays during Trainspotting while the baby is crawling along the ceiling.

#12 ·
If you classify Underworld as EDM which I think one would, yes I listen to lots of it. Underworld has been in consistent rotation for about 20 years since I first heard dubnobasswithmyheadman. Every album from that one to 2011's Barking is worth owning, and Barking shows they have no signs of slowing down as it's really terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlxy_Q9lj_w

This is the original version of the song that plays during Trainspotting while the baby is crawling along the ceiling.
I've seen these guys live years ago and they're really fun to watch and hear, the lead singer has endless energy :eek:
I ran out and bought a standard Live concert DVD which I lost but would love to own it on Blu ray one day if they did a proper transfer in Dts ma, or Dolby Digital!

Shameless plug:
Btw I have Barking for sale over at the Emo lounge if someone is interest.

Djoel

#5 ·
Quite a bit here actually! I have been just over the last year or so getting into a lot of the EDM genres. I have a decent amount of good bass tracks now, along with some others that just have really cool effects and clarity. Not a lot in the HiDef dept, as most of my DL's are just from itunes, but EDM is quite fun when you have a super capable sub setup.

#8 · (Edited)
Basically I am on my third wave of EDM. Most of it is not even recorded in stereo hence the upmixers (DD, DTS) don't have much to work with. Was rocking pure bass music 20+ years ago. Acts like BASS 305 and DJ Magic Mike but also appreciated rap with good bass.

Next was the Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers and Prodigy era. Looking back this was a Heavy Metal influence on Pop Dance at the time.

Now it's Dubstep and Trance gener. These days only free downloads so don't know much about the artists. Knife Party, EDX, Zomboy, Rudemetal, Deadmau5 etc...

Some of the newer stuff can be found in surround but synthetic by nature of the source.

I have warmed up to Daft Punk recently. They been around this whole time but never really clicked with me.

#10 ·
Thanks for this. Going to give the Schiller Leben SACD a try as it is not region specific. Schiller Atemlos DVD does not seem to have a Region 1 version and I am not so interested in hacking my OPPO. Kraftwerks is not to my particular taste all though I am sure it is recorded great.

#14 ·
#17 · (Edited)
Boards of Canada, great mention. They need to release some authentic multichannel stuff, the simulated surround is already insane because of the sneaky backwards masking they do.

Tipper is also a proper mention, and is in lossless multichannel to boot. Underworld, enough said about those legends. That BT album is also an opus.

I have to add Ils' "Soul Trader" for a breakbeat multichannel feast and one of my fave albums over my several-decade love affair with electronic music.

Sample:
(if you have a decent sub, it will purr with this atmospheric, ethereal, funky-ass, bassline-driven jam)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.