AVS Forum banner

Earth Wind and Fire-Open Your Eyes SACD

795 views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Bill Mac 
#1 ·
I just listened to the new SACD by Earth Wind and Fire, "Open Your Eyes." The cover states its 4.0, but when I played it it was 5.1 PCM @ 176.4. In any event, I was thoroughly disappointed in the overall sound, and as far as I'm concerned, red book CDs well recorded can rival and/or surpassed SACD. Redbook just sounds more natural.

#2 ·
It probably is 4.0. A lot of old "remastered for surround" quad recordings are just the old quad recordings dropped into 5.1 with "empty" center and subwoofer channels. (The channels are there, and the receiver THINKS it is playing 5.1, but there is no sound from the two unused channels").

What you are identifying is probably not an SACD vs CD issue though. It is probably a crappy surround mix vs. a familiar and comfortable stereo mix. Beware of overgeneralization about it. My guess is that if you listened to a stereo SACD and regular CD of the same material (same mix, other variables removed) then you would not hear much difference. And just because one surround mix sucks does not necessarily imply that another would not be downright sublime.

#3 ·
What you are identifying is probably not an SACD vs CD issue though. It is probably a crappy surround mix vs. a familiar and comfortable stereo mix. Beware of overgeneralization about it. My guess is that if you listened to a stereo SACD and regular CD of the same material (same mix, other variables removed) then you would not hear much difference. And just because one surround mix sucks does not necessarily imply that another would not be downright sublime.
I own a Bryston BDP-2, and have downloaded numerous albums from 192/24 on down; none sound better than well recorded redbook, just different. Again, redbook sounds more natural than the upsampling. :(

#5 ·
After a third listen and setting my front speakers to large, I like the mix although it's still somewhat lacking in bass. However, I have never heard the voices and instruments clearer than this release; almost like listening on one my BIC, Dual or Garrard turntable. :cool:

#9 ·
Well now, I like it, too I had to reconfigure my processor by making the front mains large instead of small just to get adequate bass. Its still not that deep, but its adequate. And, its a very open and pristine sound. I've actually never heard this album sound better. Its a must purchase. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.