AVS Forum banner

S/PDIF cable types

979 views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  lowella 
#1 ·
Hey all, for those using S/PDIF to carry the surround signal....there are many different types of fiber cable, I have access to some that are LS (2 single modes stuck together like stereo RCA cables) but I don't understand the rest of the info on them. They were made to carry internet signals, I am wondering if they'll work the same as a TOSLink cable that you'd buy at the store if I rip them down the middle and use one of the two? I don't imagine it could hurt anything to try but before I go through with it I wanted to get some info - it's tough to test, as it's for an in-wall installation and I don't have the cables in my hands yet.
Thanks,

#4 · (Edited)
If you want high quality I have one suggestion, Toslink typically stinks compared to coaxial. I would suggest you compare whatever cable you end up with to this one:

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Optical-Audio-Cables/products/338/

If you aren't gobsmacked send it back before 30 days for a refund. In my experience switching to a high quality digital cable can be stunning, like going from an MP3 to a CD or even better.

#5 ·
Thanks! But am I reading this right, are you suggesting a $120 cable that stinks (compared with coaxial)? I would look at coaxial but I don't know that anything I have has a coaxial jack on it? Do you need a converter, or a $50,000 system? :) I really do appreciate the reply!

#7 ·
I am saying that coaxial is choice #1 if you have a coaxial connection. The $120 toslink cable I posted should sound better than the standard stock toslink cable you inquired about as well as the standard coaxial cable that comes with a CD player when you buy it. You don't need a converter or a $50,000 system. There is no way to tell how much value you will find in your system and in your room until you compare yourself. You don't need any special equipment just listen and after 30 days if you aren't gobsmacked send it back.

#6 ·
I'm not an expert but I thought that digital cables either worked or not. They are both delivering 1s and 0s didn't think there were an audio quality to them...Much different than analog cables and even so the DAC and ADC chips that process the signal. Saying all that, if all of the signal is getting to the device rather its optical or coaxial they should theoretically sound the same. The only difference is how much bandwidth either can manage. Optical/Toslink being the inferior of the two.

#8 ·
Wouldn't risk it for an in wall install. I would get some raw 75 ohm coax cable and connectors for an unbalanced setup or digital cable like carnare 110 ohm AES/EBU digital cables for balanced and some connectors and be safe and secure knowing that you want have any issues down the road. It is simple enough to convert from 110 ohm balanced to the consumer spec of 75 ohm unbalanced but takes a little reading and knowledge.

Saying all that, I use a couple of toslinks in my home setup and never had any issues. Ran all canare digital balanced in my studio also with no issues.

Reactions: lowella
#13 ·
"Listen and decide" is the fools gold of the high end cable claims. Fact is, there is only one thing that makes a difference, and that is the 1s and 0s that are hitting the DAC. Unless someone can show a difference right there, they cannot make a claim.

Don't buy high end priced cables for digital. If it works, it works. Just get cables with quality connectors that won't break.

Adapting those other fiber cables could work, but might not. The keys to fiber are clarity vs. length, fiber diameter & color, and connectors/connections. Best to start with something suited to the application, but I'd say if you test them and they work, they'll likely be quite OK. Keep the lengths as short as you can.

#14 ·
Yeah right, and your method is to not listen to equipment but listen to you! Now THAT would be foolish :rolleyes:

Lowella, never take advice about steak from a vegetarian and never take advice about audiophile cables from someone who uses stock cables. Listen for yourself and then decide. the only risk you have is NOT hearing how good your system could actually become and THAT would be a shame.

#15 ·
The only way to really listen and decide is through a series of blind tests, repeated over time with the same results. Anything else is mind games. People hear what they want to hear, believe what they want to believe. What you believe is not necessarily what is true.

The people that push the super expensive cable claims the loudest are those that sell them and those that bought them and feel the need to justify spending all that money. The latter certainly wants to believe there is a difference, hence it is not objective. Show me the difference in the 1s and 0s hitting the DAC, or peddlle snake oil.

#17 · (Edited)
You can't do a blind test without a controlled testing environment, an subject, and test administrator who is unaware of the configuration for each test, and a technician who, in a seperate room with no feedback mechanisms, makes the configuration changes for each test.

Then this is done with multiple subjects, and even different test staff.

#21 ·
My advice is to understand that you will gain no benefit from high priced optical cables over very low cost ones from an audio quality perspective. And so don't waste your money. If you listen or not, it does not matter, because if you think you hear a difference, it is only that, thinking you hear a difference. Failure to understand how the human mind can fool itself when is the typical flaw in the claims of folks who think they hear a difference.

And since it is quite inconvenient for some people to find a place to do an accurate test, I also recommend not wasting your time in addition to not wasting your money.

I could claim that breathing in air through only your left nostril is better than breathing through both, and if you just try it for a week, you can decide for yourself. So, applying your response to anyone that says that would be quite a waste... why not just try it? So spare me your strawman responses. And learn a little about the science behind your claims.

#30 ·
Somebody, anybody, please close this topic?

I fail to understand why a topic about 'SPDIF leads' has been submitted within the 'Surround Music Formats' sub-section anyway :mad:

#32 ·
Hey all, for those using S/PDIF to carry the surround signal....there are many different types of fiber cable, I have access to some that are LS (2 single modes stuck together like stereo RCA cables) but I don't understand the rest of the info on them.
There are also many types of connectors.

TOSLINK looks like one of these:

I'd be surprised if data cables used a TOSLINK end.

#34 ·
Wow! I missed a whole bunch of posts, sorry I guess I need to subscribe to the thread. Thank you, the photo and info is very helpful. I did have a couple of the RCA style ones. Had no idea....I'm used to vintage equipment...
My data cables are indeed identical to the squarish end on the TOSLINK cable you show.

#35 ·
Ok! My apologies for putting this in the wrong place if I did. To me, TOSLINK and/or SP/DIF cables (what's the DIF anyway?! ;) are for surround sound, at least that's what I use them for. Sorry I got a few folks going, I tend to agree with the majority, being an IT guy, that the 1's & 0's either make it or not.

But witchdoctor has a good motive at least so I can't beat him up for it, unless he's the one selling those high end cables :) Thanks, all-

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.