Tales From Topographic Oceans in 5.1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 07-21-2016, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Tales From Topographic Oceans in 5.1

Whether you hate it or love it, it's finally coming out. Seriously, does anyone do anything slower than the old Prog bands?

The towering Tales From Topographic Oceans is the fifth in a series of remixed and expanded Yes albums featuring 5.1 and stereo mixes by Steven Wilson. Amongst the bonus tracks are five single edits and an alternative Dance Of The Dawn.

Available as 3cd/blu-ray (packaged in 2 x mini vinyl replica gatefold card sleeves in a slipcase) and 2cd/2dvda (packaged 2 x double digipak in a slipcase) editions.

The accompanying booklets feature Sid Smith liner notes and elements of new interviews with Jon Anderson, Steve Howe and Alan White.

"I worked on and off for about 3 years on this new mix in my quest to do it justice. I hope it will satisfy the people who agree with me that it may just be Yes's pre-eminent masterpiece." Steven Wilson

https://www.burningshed.com/store/pr...ter+21+07+2016

Nothing on Amazon yet.

Last edited by ti-triodes; 07-21-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-22-2016, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Pre Ordered the DVD-A version.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #3 of 39 Old 07-22-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Anyone got any details on the differences/similarities between these two packages?
Available as 3cd/blu-ray (packaged in 2 x mini vinyl replica gatefold card sleeves in a slipcase) and 2cd/2dvda (packaged 2 x double digipak in a slipcase) editions.
Thanks,
Mike
post #4 of 39 Old 07-22-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
This a definite purchase for me! Not my favorite Yes album but to have Tales From Topographic Oceans in 5.1 done by Steven Wilson will be awesome! I'll be buying the DVD-A set as it's less expensive than the Blu-ray set and I like the Yes DVD-A packaging much better. I bought Close to the Edge on Blu-ray and the packaging is flimsy and cheap IMO. Not sure about extra material with the Blu-ray set but I'm only interested in the 5.1 mix.

Bill
thehun and ti-triodes like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 39 Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
Anyone got any details on the differences/similarities between these two packages?
Thanks,
Mike
It's not out yet so we know as much as that link above you quoted from. The Blu Ray one usually more "stuff" .

The Hun
post #6 of 39 Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 112
From Yesworld (via SHF):

The Definitive Edition. It doesn’t get better than this. All the mixes are presented in better-than-CD-quality Audiophile 24-96 HD Audio and have been approved by the band. Both editions include a 20 page booklet featuring previously unseen artwork by Roger Dean, an essay by Sid Smith and additional photos and memorabilia. Available at Amazon on BluRay+CD (with more extras) or DVD-A+CD.
This is the only version of Tales From Topographic Oceans to have been completely remixed from the original multitrack tapes since 1973. In keeping with all the other releases in this series, Steven Wilson’s approach for new stereo & 5.1 mixes is to faithfully retain the spirit & sounds of the original album mix, while applying modern mix techniques to bring further clarity to the individual instrument, vocal & overdubs for each track. The songs, instantly familiar to a multitude of YES fans, remain so, with the new mixes – especially in 5.1 form – providing a greater sense of space for each voice to be heard. Anderson’s voice seems to join the listener in the room, Howe & Wakeman’s solos glisten with clarity and White & Squire remind all that they were unmatched as a rhythm section during that period.

Contains:
– Album mixed in 24-96 5.1 DTS Lossless Surround from original multi-track sources.
– New Album mix in High Resolution Stereo
– Original Album mix (flat transfer) in High Resolution Stereo
– New Stereo Instrumental mixes in 24-96 LPCM

– Original Roger Dean artwork expanded & restored with material from the Roger Dean archive & with full approval of the artist.
– Presented as a 2 x digi-pack format in a slipcase with new sleeve notes by writer Sid Smith along with rare photos & archive material.

Extras:
– Dance of the Dawn (Extended Version of The Revealing Science of God)
– Dance of the Dawn (Studio Run-Through)
– High The Memory (Studio Run-Through)
– Giants Under The Sun (Studio Run-Through)
– Ritual (Live, Zurich, April 1974)
– The Revealing Science Of God (Single Edit)
– The Remembering (Single Edit)
– The Ancient (Single Edit)
– Ritual (Single Edit I)
– Ritual (Single Edit II)

Steven Wilson: “My remix of Tales From Topographic Oceans will be the fifth in a series of expanded YES classics, released in 3CD/Blu-Ray and 2CD/2DVDA configurations. The album has been remixed in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound from the original multi-track tapes and approved by YES. I worked on and off for about 3 years on this new mix in my quest to do it justice, so I’m very happy to see it finally being released.

The new mixes have a clarity and vibrancy which I hope will satisfy the people who agree with me that it may just be YES‘ pre-eminent masterpiece, and encourage those who had perhaps dismissed it until now to give it another listen. Compared to other YES albums it’s certainly not an easy listen, but in my opinion it’s an under-rated slice of genius, the band working at the very peak of their powers to create one of the most ambitious, beautiful and eccentric albums in the whole rock music canon.”

Extras for BluRay Edition only:
– Full album instrumental mixes by Steven Wilson
– Two additional alternate takes
– A full album needle-drop of an original UK vinyl pressing
– US promo singles edits as needle-drops.

I'll be in for the dvd-a like all the other Yes deluxes, even though this is one of my fave Yes albums- usually a toss-up between this and CttE for #1. I'll miss those instrumental mixes, but it's easier to play w/o turning on my TV with the dvd-a and I still hope someday to have a surround system in my car to play dvd-a's in.
Bill Mac, ti-triodes and HomerJau like this.
post #7 of 39 Old 07-22-2016, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll get the BD since I have all the others in BD. Got to have everything, right? But Bill's right, the packaging of the DVD-A is much better with the outside sleeve. They also match the Crimson and XTC releases.

BTW, SW said this is the last Yes album he did since the multi tracks are missing from any other albums he's interested in. Never say never, but this is it for a while at least.
post #8 of 39 Old 07-22-2016, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Actually, his wording was that the multis are unavailable- a subtle but possibly significant difference, that given SW's intelligence and command of nuance could leave more room for hope.

But even if we get no more, I'm so happy to have Tales finally on the way. And if they could only do 5 albums, they picked the best 5 imo.
post #9 of 39 Old 07-23-2016, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
I'll be in for the dvd-a like all the other Yes deluxes, even though this is one of my fave Yes albums- usually a toss-up between this and CttE for #1. I'll miss those instrumental mixes, but it's easier to play w/o turning on my TV with the dvd-a and I still hope someday to have a surround system in my car to play dvd-a's in.
I'll be getting the BD rather than the DVD-A. The DVD-A is easier to rip, but the BD has more stuff and will be playable long after my SD-9200 packs it in. And ripping dts-HD MA from BD isn't that hard.

Thanks,
Mike
post #10 of 39 Old 07-26-2016, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually, his wording was that the multis are unavailable- a subtle but possibly significant difference, that given SW's intelligence and command of nuance could leave more room for hope.

But even if we get no more, I'm so happy to have Tales finally on the way. And if they could only do 5 albums, they picked the best 5 imo.

Good point about SW. Supposedly the multis for CTTE were "lost" and they miraculously turned up. Most people would agree he did the classic 5 albums. It's interesting to think of what he would like to do next if he had the tapes. I'd like Time and a Word, but there are a lot of 80's fans out there. IMO, the only great 80's album was ABWH.
post #11 of 39 Old 07-28-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6841 Post(s)
Liked: 3415
This is my favorite Yes album; so looking forward to it in remastered masterpiece surround sound. DVD-Audio is alive and would do just fine.
http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headpho...eans-2cd2dvda/

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...l=1#post293750

You can expand this 5.1 release into 11.1 Auro-Matic or 11.1 DTS Neural:X or 11.1 Dolby Surround (DSU). ..It should be a real blast/bliss!

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
post #12 of 39 Old 08-04-2016, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #13 of 39 Old 08-17-2016, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I ordered the Blu ray version from Amazon UK as it is the cheapest source for a Canadian....s/b <$40. CAN.

I am looking forward to listening to this in the future.......it is just great to get this stuff. I can remember the days when you could go to any Edmonton Worst Buy and they had a rack that took up an entire aisle with DVD Audio and SACD. It was so sad to see that rack shrink down to nothing, and now they don't even have a CD section. Their Blu ray & DVD section also has shrunk big time about two months ago.

Last edited by JKR1963; 08-17-2016 at 09:34 PM.
post #14 of 39 Old 09-16-2016, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Good point about SW. Supposedly the multis for CTTE were "lost" and they miraculously turned up. Most people would agree he did the classic 5 albums. It's interesting to think of what he would like to do next if he had the tapes. I'd like Time and a Word, but there are a lot of 80's fans out there. IMO, the only great 80's album was ABWH.
Personally, I'd like Drama but I won't hold my breath. 90125...I wonder what that would be like in surround? There is some really nice stuff on that album. Actually, I might prefer some Jon Anderson stuff in surround-I pretty much like anything he's done.
post #15 of 39 Old 09-20-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually I wish Steven would turn toward more of his contemporaries, but that's a different thread.
sworth likes this.

The Hun
post #16 of 39 Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ive been somewhat disappointed by many yes releases in terms of flatness and distortion during playback... eventhe halfspeed vinyls. The 5.1's have been wholy different. I will be adding this title to my 5.1 collection.
post #17 of 39 Old 09-21-2016, 08:58 AM
JGM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
90125...I wonder what that would be like in surround? There is some really nice stuff on that album.
IIRC it already had some sort of holophonic effects in the mix. Moving that to surround could jeopardize the space-time continuum. . .
post #18 of 39 Old 10-08-2016, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got my copy yesterday and listened to the 5.1 LPCM mix from start to finish. Very satisfying and very close in quality to the Close to the Edge remix from Steve Wilson. I'm looking forward to exploring this release even more. So many goodies, so little time
post #19 of 39 Old 10-09-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6841 Post(s)
Liked: 3415
Same here; last night I listened to the full album on Blu-ray and in an uncompressed LPCM (96/24) 5.1 surround sound...truly awesomely splendid!

It's a click-on ↑ thing.
ti-triodes likes this.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
post #20 of 39 Old 10-11-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just listened to the the multichannel mix and this was an impressive mix by Steve. No surprise there.

I'm not that familiar with this album as some, but I really like it compared to previous Yes albums (i've bough all the remixes). And yes, I did own a few of the original Yes albums back when they were first released. But turned out I was more of a Genesis fan. Too bad Steve did not remix their catalog ...

I'm thinking a few repeats will really get to the bottom of this one But no doubt the sound quality is astounding for an album this old.

I believe that folks who love this album will really dig this new mix. Played on a high-resolution 5.2 setup, this is incredibly dynamic and crip. Recommended.

Jonathan

My System
post #21 of 39 Old 10-11-2016, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
Just listened to the the multichannel mix and this was an impressive mix by Steve. No surprise there.

I'm not that familiar with this album as some, but I really like it compared to previous Yes albums (i've bough all the remixes). And yes, I did own a few of the original Yes albums back when they were first released. But turned out I was more of a Genesis fan. Too bad Steve did not remix their catalog ...

I'm thinking a few repeats will really get to the bottom of this one But no doubt the sound quality is astounding for an album this old.

I believe that folks who love this album will really dig this new mix. Played on a high-resolution 5.2 setup, this is incredibly dynamic and crip. Recommended.
I have the DVD-A on the way and really looking forward to hearing the 5.1 mix. I agree 1000% that it's too bad Steven Wilson hasn't remixed the Genesis catalog. I'm still holding out hope that he will. Now that would be sweet !

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #22 of 39 Old 10-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I have the DVD-A on the way and really looking forward to hearing the 5.1 mix. I agree 1000% that it's too bad Steven Wilson hasn't remixed the Genesis catalog. I'm still holding out hope that he will. Now that would be sweet !

Bill
Amen, Brother Bill. He HAS, at least, been productive though. Waiting impatiently on delivery (confirmed shipped from Burning Shed) of this one and XTC's "English Settlement". Then I get Blackfield V and two insane KK albums about a month later. Should keep me happy until Christmas, when my annual "use the gift cards and cash on symphonic/chamber music" event arrives.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #23 of 39 Old 10-12-2016, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Bill
Jon- as a longtime Yesfan, I have to say you're in the minority when it comes to casual fans preferring Tales to other Yesclassics like TYA and Fragile. But I admire your taste! I'm a little surprised you're not more of a Yesfan, given the great overlap between their fans and Genesis fans.

I also think it'd be great for SW to do the Genesis catalog- at least the PG years- but from what I've read, he's doing a lot less re-mixing now and wants to concentrate more on his own music. So it's very doubtful that one of the few he'd choose to do would be something that's already been done. That's assuming he would even get the chance, given that it's already been done.

Personally, I really like those 5.1 mixes, even if they're "only" DTS. But I only have the PG box, ToTT and W&W and I've heard the worst are the later ones. And maybe the warts show up more on the sacd's, since they might be more revealing. But given it's not the mixes themselves that people dislike, maybe just a remaster of those mixes would be sufficient? Not that I wouldn't love to hear what SW would do w/ them, I just think it's highly unlikely. Similar to people wanting SW to re-mix some Floyd into 5.1; we've seen what happens when anyone other than JG does a MCH re-mix of one of their albums w/ Roger...

How about SW taking a shot at some of PG's solo work in 5.1? I don't know how much more likely that is than him doing Genesis, but I'd certainly prefer that, since we already have Genesis- even if they're flawed.
post #24 of 39 Old 10-12-2016, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Jon- as a longtime Yesfan, I have to say you're in the minority when it comes to casual fans preferring Tales to other Yesclassics like TYA and Fragile. But I admire your taste! I'm a little surprised you're not more of a Yesfan, given the great overlap between their fans and Genesis fans.

I also think it'd be great for SW to do the Genesis catalog- at least the PG years- but from what I've read, he's doing a lot less re-mixing now and wants to concentrate more on his own music. So it's very doubtful that one of the few he'd choose to do would be something that's already been done. That's assuming he would even get the chance, given that it's already been done.

Personally, I really like those 5.1 mixes, even if they're "only" DTS. But I only have the PG box, ToTT and W&W and I've heard the worst are the later ones. And maybe the warts show up more on the sacd's, since they might be more revealing. But given it's not the mixes themselves that people dislike, maybe just a remaster of those mixes would be sufficient? Not that I wouldn't love to hear what SW would do w/ them, I just think it's highly unlikely. Similar to people wanting SW to re-mix some Floyd into 5.1; we've seen what happens when anyone other than JG does a MCH re-mix of one of their albums w/ Roger...

How about SW taking a shot at some of PG's solo work in 5.1? I don't know how much more likely that is than him doing Genesis, but I'd certainly prefer that, since we already have Genesis- even if they're flawed.

Flawed is an understatement. I haven't been able to get through a stereo version yet. They hurt my ears. Most people think they're worth it for the 5.1, but to my ears, even that's a chore. Sad, but the best sounding Genesis is still the vinyl.

As for Gabriel, don't hold your breath. He still can't figure out people wanted the So deluxe box to have a surround mix and that's why it flopped. He's super talented, but is definitely a bit of a cement head.
post #25 of 39 Old 10-13-2016, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Flawed is an understatement. I haven't been able to get through a stereo version yet. They hurt my ears. Most people think they're worth it for the 5.1, but to my ears, even that's a chore. Sad, but the best sounding Genesis is still the vinyl.

As for Gabriel, don't hold your breath. He still can't figure out people wanted the So deluxe box to have a surround mix and that's why it flopped. He's super talented, but is definitely a bit of a cement head.
Wouldn't that be cabbage head? I think the guy's pretty brilliant in many ways,including but not limited to his immense talent, but he makes some really poor (IMO) decisions sometimes. Though sometimes maybe it's not him making the choices, but somebody close to him, in his organization. But bottom line those choices are his responsibility, even if he abdicates the actual choice.

As for the 2.0 mixes, never even heard them. The surround mixes I love- what makes them a chore for you?

Edit: Forgot to include that I'm only referring to the up from Trespass to W&W. I was very disappointed w/ ATTWT and got off the bus.

Last edited by JimWinVA; 10-13-2016 at 07:42 AM.
post #26 of 39 Old 10-13-2016, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Here's the review I've posted at QQ and SHF for this incredible release. I don't recall any release ever getting praised so universally as this one. It's virtually unanimous that both the 2.0 and the 5.1 re-mixes are both stellar. The only complaints are imo completely insignificant, but it does bother some people that the studio run-through of Dance of the Dawn is missing and some of the bonus tracks were advertised- and listed in the booklet- as 24/96 on the blu but ended up being 24/48.

The short version (DVD-A 5.1 mix):

In a word: Sublime.

A 10 all the way. The content, the mix, the fidelity: all of the highest quality. Steven Wilson's meisterwerk of Yes' meisterwerk. This 5.1 mix has for me pushed Tales past CttE as my favorite album. The experience I had upon my initial audition of this amazing mix was truly the most incredible audio experience I've ever had w/ recorded music (live music is a whole other ballgame). I'm still totally buzzed from it, 2 1/2 hours later. My highest recommendation!

The Long version:

While this was only the 4th Yes album I ever bought, it was the Yes album that took the longest to click with me; but once it clicked, it connected hard. I'm very familiar w/ it through many listens on many different formats. Like most all Yes (but this album even more-so), the music is very lush, layered, inter-weaving, dynamic and complex- all qualities that lend themselves to a great surround mix. And boy has Mr. Wilson delivered, as he always does- but even more-so. As much as I love his Yes re-mixes, I'd rate GG's Power and Glory and Tull's Aqualung and his best to date that I have. This exceeds those imo. It is also the most that he has ever departed from the original work- in many ways (see below). I believe he utilized, to fantastic success- a great amount of artistic freedom on this project. I can feel his passion in the music, right along w/ the band (and the band includes Eddie Offord, who is an invaluable and intrinsic part of this music).

While there are many striking aspects of this audaciously ambitious work, one thing that has always stood out to me about it is TONE. The variety of tones on every instrument on display in this album is staggering. It's like Yes wanted to expand their musical palette so they could have as many hues available as possible to paint the vast auditory landscapes they wished to create. The keyboards obviously have almost infinite tones, but also on this album, Wakey's presets are all spot-on (unlike some later years). It's amazing how great he sounds on an album he despises and dislikes playing. Howe's uses different guitars and effects to achieve an awesome array of sounds and textures. Squire uses effects to vary his tones throughout and Alan bangs away on a vast variety of toms, cymbals, gongs, all manner of percussion. And then there's the many shades possible with those 3 harmonizing voices. Yes was all about pushing the envelope- and one of the things they pushed here was how unique and how many different tones they could convey.

And it those tones where Maestro Wilson weaves his magic. He has a way of taking most of these many different tones and make them really sing: it's like he takes what's there and makes it... even more-so. A really fluid guitar line, of which Howe weaves many, becomes even more liquid. An edgy guitar seems to expand it's bite. A vibrating cymbal seems to shimmer more. A floating keyboard chord seems to hover and even vibrate in a large space. A vocal becomes 4 dimensional- Jon's solo part is present in the front and the rear at the same time; it's not pulled out into the room, it's doubled in a different space (one of the liberties he took w/ the original material beyond what he usually does- but it works to great effect).

But here's another way he deviates from the original much more than usual (if hardly at all in most cases). Some of those tones, while they sound similar- and better- also sound significantly different. I don't know if they're a different edit or he uses some EQ, but some of those tones are changed quite a lot. The most I noticed them was in The Remembering. There's one part somewhere around the 13:00 mark where there's a crescendo that is the same in nature but I swear the texture of the guitar is completely different. It makes for a more dynamic build-up, but it jarred me with it's difference (I think it works great- just wasn't expecting it).

There's another spot where's Squire's bass has the exact same rhythm and pitch, but again the tone is vastly altered. The beginning of the Ancient (which brought a huge shirt-eating grin to this stoic old face) echoes it's cymbals all around you to great effect, but in it's expansiveness changes the basic character of that element. It's already been noted by others that he uses a completely different edit of Squire's bass lines in Ritual and of Wakeman's solo in Revealing.

Steven has made changes in tone in this 5.1 mix that seem to go against his usual philosophy of staying as true to the original as possible. He's taken liberties with some fundamental sounds, but the results don't change the basic character of the music as a whole- they just make those parts stand out even more. Part of that effect is the result of being able to separate the elements, as in all good surround mixes; part of that effect is from the added clarity he always achieves in his re-mixes; but a lot of that effect is that his choices in altering these tones seems to give them more immediacy and presence. Bravissimo Maestro!

Another area where SW exceeds his usual practice is in the amount of motion inherent within the soundfield. He generally eschews much panning between speakers in favor of just keeping a full, robust, well-filled sphere of sound. But in this mix, there's an amazing amount of motion. I'm not referring to pans between channels, though there is a slight amount of that, usually with Rick's keys and Alan's percussion. If that kind of motion is macro-motion, what I'm talking about is micro-motion: motion within a limited part of the soundfield. For example, there are some of Steve's flowing lines that seem to expand and contract as the motion around a speaker mimics the flowing of the line. There are keyboards that seem to not just hover over an area, but swirl intensely as they hover. The shimmer of cymbals I referred to earlier seem to come from some micro-motion. They don't just echo, they expand. Whatever instrument, any sustain or decay seemed to last longer and have more weight; every musical element of this mix seems to be somehow reinforced.

This mix is filled with micro-motion which again gives more presence to the elements. Everything is expanded and taken to it's limits. I believe SW has ignored his usual philosophy for re-mixing and instead adopted Yes' philosophy from this album: push the boundaries; exaggerate the extremes to the farthest possible point before reaching over-saturation. It's a gem in it's execution and almost mystical in its synergy. This was the album Yes always wanted to make; this is the mix Mr. Wilson always wanted to create. And the result is the absolute pinnacle of recorded music, imo.

I could go on about the many examples of sublime beauty present in this album that have been strengthened by SW's magic, such as the haunting variety as we get over over-hanging trees to the heart-rendering variety that is Steve's guitar that brings such sweet relief following the climax of that thunderous, brilliant cacophany that is the climax of the whole journey. But I've already gone on too long- which is apropos of this album, but in my case the criticism would be warranted, whereas with the album it's not.

Suffice it to say, I was thrilled, chilled and completely fulfilled by this experience. I'm not afraid to say that I teared up as the last notes died down.

I truly believe that SW feels more proud of this re-mix than any he's ever done- as well he should. I also feel sure that the pain we felt when this was temporarily shelved was nothing compared to what he endured; I bet it drove him crazy having this creation but being powerless to get it to those who could appreciate it's glories. This was always one of the albums he most wanted to work his surround magic on. He worked passionately over a three year period and his efforts paid off in spades. I don't know if he asked for and received, or he just took great artistic license with this, but the freedom he's shown in making bold choices hearkens back to the 70's music industry (more parallels) and the results are mind-blowing.

Thank you Mr. Wilson. You've taken a gem and not only made it shine unimaginably brighter, but also revealed all of of it's facets in brilliant relief. Bravissimo indeed.
post #27 of 39 Old 10-13-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just listened to the TFTO 5.1 mix (DVD-A) and it really is an outstanding mix ! I've listened to the CD a few times in past year and it never sounded that great. But with the new 5.1 mix from Steven Wilson it creates an entirely different listening experience! This very short "review" pales in comparison JimWinVA's review for sure .

Bill

post #28 of 39 Old 10-13-2016, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wouldn't that be cabbage head? I think the guy's pretty brilliant in many ways,including but not limited to his immense talent, but he makes some really poor (IMO) decisions sometimes. Though sometimes maybe it's not him making the choices, but somebody close to him, in his organization. But bottom line those choices are his responsibility, even if he abdicates the actual choice.

As for the 2.0 mixes, never even heard them. The surround mixes I love- what makes them a chore for you?

Edit: Forgot to include that I'm only referring to the up from Trespass to W&W. I was very disappointed w/ ATTWT and got off the bus.

Cabbage or cement, it's all the same.

If his name's on it, he has to take the responsibility. He can't be this mystifying due to a committee!

The 5.1 mixes still sound a bit harsh to me. IIRC, the Gabriel box was the last surround box and sounds a bit better than the earlier boxes. Compared to SW's work on Tales they're crap, imo. It's not even fair to compare them.
JimWinVA likes this.

Last edited by ti-triodes; 10-13-2016 at 04:20 PM.
post #29 of 39 Old 10-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cabbage or cement, it's all the same.

If his name's on it, he has to take the responsibility. He can't be this mystifying due to a committee!

The 5.1 mixes still sound a bit harsh to me. IIRC, the Gabriel box was the last surround box and sounds a bit better than the earlier boxes. Compared to SW's work on Tales they're crap, imo. It's not even fair to compare them.
I said cabbage head since he took all that time off- can't remember when- to be a cabbage farmer. At Willow's farm. More fuel for your mystifying fire. And then I'm sure I remember an image from one of his videos where he actually is a cabbagehead, complete w/ prosthetic leaves for hair. But that could have been another character, but the image of a cabbage head is in one of his vids.

Yeah, I had heard that the earlier (though latest released) discs sounded better- which is why I came back to add what I had to the post. Between those discs being the least offensive and my system being on the warm side, I'd say that accounts for the discrepancies in our experiences. That's such a shame- I love those mixes; I'm sorry you can't enjoy them.
And you're right, I don't think it's fair to compare anything to Tales. It's the new benchmark in my book. I think those Genesis mixes, surround-wise are strong. Not stellar, but very solid. I also forgot to add, I have the dvd's; if you have the sacd's, that another major difference. I could see the sacd's more revealing upper end magnifying the harshness as opposed to what DTS does.

But back on track... How 'bout them Tales?
ti-triodes likes this.
post #30 of 39 Old 10-14-2016, 07:21 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Sounds like this is a must own! Is Amazon the best price on this set right now ($34 shipped)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats