Tales From Topographic Oceans in 5.1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By ti-triodes
  • 2 Post By Bill Mac
  • 2 Post By JimWinVA

post #1 of 9 Old 07-21-2016, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Tales From Topographic Oceans in 5.1

Whether you hate it or love it, it's finally coming out. Seriously, does anyone do anything slower than the old Prog bands?

The towering Tales From Topographic Oceans is the fifth in a series of remixed and expanded Yes albums featuring 5.1 and stereo mixes by Steven Wilson. Amongst the bonus tracks are five single edits and an alternative Dance Of The Dawn.

Available as 3cd/blu-ray (packaged in 2 x mini vinyl replica gatefold card sleeves in a slipcase) and 2cd/2dvda (packaged 2 x double digipak in a slipcase) editions.

The accompanying booklets feature Sid Smith liner notes and elements of new interviews with Jon Anderson, Steve Howe and Alan White.

"I worked on and off for about 3 years on this new mix in my quest to do it justice. I hope it will satisfy the people who agree with me that it may just be Yes's pre-eminent masterpiece." Steven Wilson

https://www.burningshed.com/store/pr...ter+21+07+2016

Nothing on Amazon yet.

Last edited by ti-triodes; 07-21-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-21-2016, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Pre Ordered the DVD-A version.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Anyone got any details on the differences/similarities between these two packages?
Available as 3cd/blu-ray (packaged in 2 x mini vinyl replica gatefold card sleeves in a slipcase) and 2cd/2dvda (packaged 2 x double digipak in a slipcase) editions.
Thanks,
Mike
post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
This a definite purchase for me! Not my favorite Yes album but to have Tales From Topographic Oceans in 5.1 done by Steven Wilson will be awesome! I'll be buying the DVD-A set as it's less expensive than the Blu-ray set and I like the Yes DVD-A packaging much better. I bought Close to the Edge on Blu-ray and the packaging is flimsy and cheap IMO. Not sure about extra material with the Blu-ray set but I'm only interested in the 5.1 mix.

Bill
thehun and ti-triodes like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
Anyone got any details on the differences/similarities between these two packages?
Thanks,
Mike
It's not out yet so we know as much as that link above you quoted from. The Blu Ray one usually more "stuff" .

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 91
From Yesworld (via SHF):

The Definitive Edition. It doesn’t get better than this. All the mixes are presented in better-than-CD-quality Audiophile 24-96 HD Audio and have been approved by the band. Both editions include a 20 page booklet featuring previously unseen artwork by Roger Dean, an essay by Sid Smith and additional photos and memorabilia. Available at Amazon on BluRay+CD (with more extras) or DVD-A+CD.
This is the only version of Tales From Topographic Oceans to have been completely remixed from the original multitrack tapes since 1973. In keeping with all the other releases in this series, Steven Wilson’s approach for new stereo & 5.1 mixes is to faithfully retain the spirit & sounds of the original album mix, while applying modern mix techniques to bring further clarity to the individual instrument, vocal & overdubs for each track. The songs, instantly familiar to a multitude of YES fans, remain so, with the new mixes – especially in 5.1 form – providing a greater sense of space for each voice to be heard. Anderson’s voice seems to join the listener in the room, Howe & Wakeman’s solos glisten with clarity and White & Squire remind all that they were unmatched as a rhythm section during that period.

Contains:
– Album mixed in 24-96 5.1 DTS Lossless Surround from original multi-track sources.
– New Album mix in High Resolution Stereo
– Original Album mix (flat transfer) in High Resolution Stereo
– New Stereo Instrumental mixes in 24-96 LPCM

– Original Roger Dean artwork expanded & restored with material from the Roger Dean archive & with full approval of the artist.
– Presented as a 2 x digi-pack format in a slipcase with new sleeve notes by writer Sid Smith along with rare photos & archive material.

Extras:
– Dance of the Dawn (Extended Version of The Revealing Science of God)
– Dance of the Dawn (Studio Run-Through)
– High The Memory (Studio Run-Through)
– Giants Under The Sun (Studio Run-Through)
– Ritual (Live, Zurich, April 1974)
– The Revealing Science Of God (Single Edit)
– The Remembering (Single Edit)
– The Ancient (Single Edit)
– Ritual (Single Edit I)
– Ritual (Single Edit II)

Steven Wilson: “My remix of Tales From Topographic Oceans will be the fifth in a series of expanded YES classics, released in 3CD/Blu-Ray and 2CD/2DVDA configurations. The album has been remixed in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound from the original multi-track tapes and approved by YES. I worked on and off for about 3 years on this new mix in my quest to do it justice, so I’m very happy to see it finally being released.

The new mixes have a clarity and vibrancy which I hope will satisfy the people who agree with me that it may just be YES‘ pre-eminent masterpiece, and encourage those who had perhaps dismissed it until now to give it another listen. Compared to other YES albums it’s certainly not an easy listen, but in my opinion it’s an under-rated slice of genius, the band working at the very peak of their powers to create one of the most ambitious, beautiful and eccentric albums in the whole rock music canon.”

Extras for BluRay Edition only:
– Full album instrumental mixes by Steven Wilson
– Two additional alternate takes
– A full album needle-drop of an original UK vinyl pressing
– US promo singles edits as needle-drops.

I'll be in for the dvd-a like all the other Yes deluxes, even though this is one of my fave Yes albums- usually a toss-up between this and CttE for #1. I'll miss those instrumental mixes, but it's easier to play w/o turning on my TV with the dvd-a and I still hope someday to have a surround system in my car to play dvd-a's in.
Bill Mac and ti-triodes like this.
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I'll get the BD since I have all the others in BD. Got to have everything, right? But Bill's right, the packaging of the DVD-A is much better with the outside sleeve. They also match the Crimson and XTC releases.

BTW, SW said this is the last Yes album he did since the multi tracks are missing from any other albums he's interested in. Never say never, but this is it for a while at least.
post #8 of 9 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Actually, his wording was that the multis are unavailable- a subtle but possibly significant difference, that given SW's intelligence and command of nuance could leave more room for hope.

But even if we get no more, I'm so happy to have Tales finally on the way. And if they could only do 5 albums, they picked the best 5 imo.
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
I'll be in for the dvd-a like all the other Yes deluxes, even though this is one of my fave Yes albums- usually a toss-up between this and CttE for #1. I'll miss those instrumental mixes, but it's easier to play w/o turning on my TV with the dvd-a and I still hope someday to have a surround system in my car to play dvd-a's in.
I'll be getting the BD rather than the DVD-A. The DVD-A is easier to rip, but the BD has more stuff and will be playable long after my SD-9200 packs it in. And ripping dts-HD MA from BD isn't that hard.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats