Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood in 5.1 and more - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By LineWalker
  • 2 Post By Bill Mac
  • 1 Post By PooperScooper
  • 1 Post By bordo32
  • 1 Post By PooperScooper

post #1 of 25 Old 04-10-2017, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood in 5.1 and more

"Let me bring you songs from the wood..." Well, it's finally happening. According to MusicTAP, the 1977 Jethro Tull album is getting the Steven Wilson treatment in a 5-disc (3-CD/2-DVD) set called the "Country Set." One CD will have the original album plus bonus tracks, and one DVD will have the album and selected bonus tracks in three mixes: Dolby and DTS 5.1, and 96/24 PCM stereo for both the Wilson remix and a flat transfer of the original album, plus 4 songs in Quadrophonic format. The other 2 CDs and remaining DVD will host a complete concert held at the Capital Centre, in Landover, MD on 11/21/77. The whole book-style package will be out on May 19th.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-10-2017, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Looking forward to this. Saw Tull many times (first in Fillmore East and in MSG for Thick as a Brick)...including the Songs in The Wood tour. That was outside of Austin, TX in a great outdoor setting.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
I'm definitely going to be buying the Songs from the Wood set. I have all the other sets and they are very well done in regard to content, SQ and packaging. All except Benefit which isn't in the book format like all the other sets. Great values considering what some multi disc sets cost these days.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D/205, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

post #4 of 25 Old 04-11-2017, 06:30 PM

Thanks to a heads up over at the Steve Hoffman forum I just preordered the Songs From the Wood set from Amazon.uk for around $24 shipped to the US. Such a deal !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D/205, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 25 Old 04-16-2017, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Just preordered this myself. Thanks for the link. Looking forward to it.

BTW, your link is now taking us to the US site where it is 45 bucks. Just FYI.

John
post #6 of 25 Old 04-16-2017, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'll be looking for this. Love Tull...was at the Aqualung tour concert, Thick as a Brick and one or two others as well.

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, Rcvr: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 11v5, center/Paradigm CC-290, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/Paradigm PDR-100, DVD: Samsung BD-J5700, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #7 of 25 Old 04-16-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
Just preordered this myself. Thanks for the link. Looking forward to it.

BTW, your link is now taking us to the US site where it is 45 bucks. Just FYI.

John
My pleasure, as someone turned me on to it so paying it forward . Not sure why that link now goes to Amazon instead of Amazon.uk. It originally worked and when clicked on went to Amazon.uk. It's amazing that Amazon is almost twice the cost !

Bill

post #8 of 25 Old 04-18-2017, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 5209
Amazon.co.uk linky

The above link is for amazon.co.uk but it looks like the forum software switches it to USA when clicked so they can add the affliate tag. I'm going to make some inquiries to see if this can be fixed. It'd be different if the link was for the USA site.
Bill Mac likes this.

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor

Last edited by PooperScooper; 04-18-2017 at 05:06 AM.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-19-2017, 03:56 AM

The links seem to be working now. Yesterday when a couple other mods tried the links they worked just fine and yet they didn't work for me after they tried them. Oh well, oils well that ends well.

post #10 of 25 Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Looks like still does not work.
I pre-ordered "manually", went to amazon.co.uk and entered/searched "Songs From The Wood Box set".
Bill Mac likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 AM

If you click on the link in my post above, or Bill's post above that and you get redirected to www.amazon.com (USA), please report the post and say the link is being switched on you. The links still work correctly for me and I didn't knowingly do anything to change the behavior. And in case you don't know, click on the triangle with the "!" inside at lower left of post box to bring up the text box to report the post.

Last edited by PooperScooper; 04-20-2017 at 03:42 AM.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Amazon.co.uk linky

The above link is for amazon.co.uk but it looks like the forum software switches it to USA when clicked so they can add the affliate tag. I'm going to make some inquiries to see if this can be fixed. It'd be different if the link was for the USA site.
I've been wondering if this is something Amazon is purposely doing. When I click on your link, it sends me to Amazon.ca., like it's picking up our IP addresses and sending us to our country of origin Amazon? On another forum, people in the US have tried pre ordering the upcoming Sgt. Pepper release from Amazon.ca. Some orders have been cancelled days after being accepted, and others were cancelled immediately with this note "Amazon.ca cannot ship software, computer & video games, gift cards or electronics internationally. " That's new...
post #13 of 25 Old 04-21-2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
I've been wondering if this is something Amazon is purposely doing. When I click on your link, it sends me to Amazon.ca., like it's picking up our IP addresses and sending us to our country of origin Amazon? On another forum, people in the US have tried pre ordering the upcoming Sgt. Pepper release from Amazon.ca. Some orders have been cancelled days after being accepted, and others were cancelled immediately with this note "Amazon.ca cannot ship software, computer & video games, gift cards or electronics internationally. " That's new...
Not amazon. The conjured up URL is done by the forum software.

This is bizarre. With Firefox on my machine at work I get redirected to USA Amazon:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Wood-Country-40th-Anniversary/dp/B06XZWT72V?tag=vs-avsforum-convert-20
Notice the "tag=", that's generated by forum software.

On my machine at home, it works as one would expect. Both same Firefox versions. Chrome at work AND HOME goes to USA, also.
Tornado Red likes this.

Last edited by PooperScooper; 04-21-2017 at 04:37 AM.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Yeah I just reported you Larry!
But seriously it did work for me using your link using Chrome, in the past like Bill's original link would send me to the US site.
Thanks for the heads up on this pre ordered from the UK for $25. or so.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #15 of 25 Old 04-28-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yeah I just reported you Larry!
But seriously it did work for me using your link using Chrome, in the past like Bill's original link would send me to the US site.
Thanks for the heads up on this pre ordered from the UK for $25. or so.
I think you are the first/only person that did report it.

post #16 of 25 Old 05-07-2017, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Can't wait for this, my first and favourite JT album

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H/T Set up:
Oppo UDP-203
FrontL&R - Polk TSx550t in Cherry, Centre - Polk CSiA6 in Cherry
Surrounds - Mission 77DS
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Pioneer VSX-9140THX
post #17 of 25 Old 05-19-2017, 02:32 AM

Got a notification from Amazon yesterday. It's on the way.

Hopefully today or tomorrow.

John
post #18 of 25 Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 67
First listen

I just got the box set, and man is it a nice presentation, but no comments from SW on the mix, so surprised by that. Plenty of material on the album and artists though, look forward to reading all that over time.

I am not that familiar with this album, and had not heard it in a couple of decades, as the last copy I had was on vinyl, and I switched to CD-only in the early '90's.

So it was a real treat to get re-aquainted via the DTS-24/96 5.1 mix on the DVD, played at reasonable levels on my 5.2.4 system. The SW mix is astounding (as usual) and the music is so much more enveloping than I could have imagined. Some of that is thanks to 6' tall line-source electrostats all around plus the 4 Atmos overheads (I usually play music using the Dolby Surround up-mixer), but this mix is very open. One hears a lot more detail in the complex passages thanks to judicial distribution of instruments (and vocals) into the five channels.

The sound quality is very good considering the mid-70's provenance of the masters. Bass is decent, but not as good as contemporary material (or maybe it's just suffering by contrast, as the album I'm listening to as I type this is the new Blackfield V 5.1 mix on Bluray, yet another outstanding SW mix and production)

All in all, well worth the investment to get this restored and enhanced classic album.

It also gives me more good 'folk' demo material, as my collection is heavily tilted to prog/classical.

Jonathan

My System
post #19 of 25 Old 05-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thanks for the review JonFo. My copy got delayed in shipping from Amazon for a couple of days, now I can hardly wait!
post #20 of 25 Old 05-21-2017, 02:46 AM

Yes, thanks for the review. My copy arrived yesterday. Perhaps I'll have some time this afternoon to give it a listen.

John
post #21 of 25 Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 140
This forum seems to have some sort of audio ad that's crashing my browser.

I listened to this last night. I seem to completely misremember this album. I remember it as being very folky and "unplugged" sounding. But hearing it for the first time since the vinyl days last night, even though there was plenty of "Renaissance Faire" stuff, it struck me as being very "prog-rocky" complete with quick ambience changes, lots of times where an instrument is all in one speaker, and even goofy 70s synth fills. The mix was clean sounding, but the drums were very compressed and low level compared to the rest of the mix. They sounded like they were recorded mono by a shotgun mike. No contrast to the dynamics at all. The bass was fuzzy sounding and weak. That may have been the way it was recorded. The vocals sounded full and very present, with just a hint of a high end boost on the sibilants. The acoustic guitars sounded like they were plugged in, not miked and they had a bit of high end boost too. The 5.1 mix was very active all around the walls of the room- paired sets of speakers across the front, across the back and either left front and rear or right front and rear. Not much immersive stuff in the middle. Overall a pretty good mix, but I want to compare it to the original stereo mix, because I suspect that Steven Wilson added some ping pong that wasn't there originally.

I listened to the outtakes too. When the first one came on, I started thinking that it wasn't bad at all. But then it got to the solos in the middle and it completely fell apart. It sounded like a first rehearsal. Another of the bonus songs had juvenile lyrics. I can see why they were left off.

Musically, I like this album better than the other Jethro Tull 5.1s I've picked up. I just wish it had a little more natural ambience and a more focused and present rhythm section.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like to copy high-definition (96/24) stereo versions of these albums to my computer for archival storage and for playback on my Astell & Kern portable audio player when I travel. Unfortunately, the Songs from the Wood DVD-Audio disc has a novel copy protection scheme that DVD Audio Extractor wasn't able to handle. I haven't seen this copy protection before in earlier Jethro Tull DVD-As.

Has anyone encountered the same encryption scheme? Any suggestions?

Note: Please do not lecture me about the legality of making a digital copy of a disc that I own since I am trying to do this for strictly personal use and I'd rather not buy the same 96/24 recording twice (which is a moot point anyway since it's not even available for sale in FLAC format).
post #23 of 25 Old 05-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Handbrake (perhaps with the help of MakeMKV) could do it I'm sure.
post #24 of 25 Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just listened to the 5.1 mix. I have the Aqualung and TAAB boxes as well. This one has the best SQ of the 3 IMHO. Very clear and punchy. The Bass and drums have more impact than I expected. Pleasantly surprised overall. The info screen from my Onkyo 5007 indicated 48khz. My Oppo 83 may not be passing the 96khz.
post #25 of 25 Old Today, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneydriver View Post
I like to copy high-definition (96/24) stereo versions of these albums to my computer for archival storage and for playback on my Astell & Kern portable audio player when I travel. Unfortunately, the Songs from the Wood DVD-Audio disc has a novel copy protection scheme that DVD Audio Extractor wasn't able to handle. I haven't seen this copy protection before in earlier Jethro Tull DVD-As.

Has anyone encountered the same encryption scheme? Any suggestions?

Note: Please do not lecture me about the legality of making a digital copy of a disc that I own since I am trying to do this for strictly personal use and I'd rather not buy the same 96/24 recording twice (which is a moot point anyway since it's not even available for sale in FLAC format).
You may have discovered by now, it's not a true DVD-Audio disc but instead a DVD-Video with multiple audio tracks. I find that AudioMuxer usually works well for discs like this, and it can output a properly tagged 96k 6-channel FLAC if that's what you're after (you do have to manually input the Artist, Album, Song info etc).

In cases where AudioMuxer fails I usually use a combination of MakeMKV (to rip the disc to a video file including the audio track of interest), MKVToolnix CLI (with a batch file) to split the video into chapters/songs, and eac3to CLI (with a batch file) to convert to multichannel FLAC. Then rename/retag by your favorite music tagging method. I can post the batch files if anyone's interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats