Dolby TrueHD Music-score Only Audio Option on BD Movies - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cam Man
  • 1 Post By Cam Man

post #1 of 7 Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Dolby TrueHD Music-score Only Audio Option on BD Movies

As best I can tell, this is a rather rare included option on BD movies. If you know of a list, please share.

The one I know of that I've listened to is on the Oblivion BD. It is fabulously dynamic and enveloping. The CD is pitiful by comparison in dynamics and low frequency effectiveness.
Kadajo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 08:14 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
This extra on Oblivion is my favorite extra ever. Wish there were more of these!
post #3 of 7 Old 08-21-2017, 12:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Hmmm gotta check it out.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun

post #4 of 7 Old 08-21-2017, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 399
^^^^

Yes, didn't realize!

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
This extra on Oblivion is my favorite extra ever. Wish there were more of these!
I'm not sure how and why high res 5.1 audio has failed. I fear it is a general lowering of the audio quality threshold for the masses.

I dug out my old DVD-Audio discs last night to listen for the first time in many years. It's also the first time since I went to an all-DIYSG speaker configuration. FYI, I also run an extra surround on the L/R side walls half way between each main side surround and each L/R main. When balanced and level nominalized, this makes a big difference.

I was just blown away by these 5.1 mixes in this speaker system! I've listened to these over the years with many different speakers systems in this room, but it was all new last night. For the first time, there is now a hemisphere of precision (and diffuse as required in the mix) sound field. Instruments precisely localize through this arc, positioned based on how the mix is done. Its precision reminds me of very well done Atmos object content. There is virtually no perceivable sound behind the MLP as long as you face the screen/LCRs; just this huge, precise front hemisphere. The timbre match after EQ of the HTM-12 mains and the Volt-10LX surrounds account for a great part of this precision.

I don't have a ton of these (DVD-Audio), but have a few from the 90s.

The Eagles, Hotel California, (96/24 5.1). I don't care for all the tracks, but Hotel California is amazing.

Dianna Krall, Love Scenes. I only care for a couple of these tracks, but the precision and her vocals are wonderful.

Big Phat Band, Swingin' for the Fences. Extremely precise. Great demo, but I can only stand so much.

Dave Koz, The Dance (hi-res PCM 5.1). Very nice!

Blue Man Group, The Complex.

Manheim Steamroller, Christmas Extraordinaire. Not on hand yet, but coming.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
I'm not sure how and why high res 5.1 audio has failed. I fear it is a general lowering of the audio quality threshold for the masses.

I dug out my old DVD-Audio discs last night to listen for the first time in many years. It's also the first time since I went to an all-DIYSG speaker configuration. FYI, I also run an extra surround on the L/R side walls half way between each main side surround and each L/R main. When balanced and level nominalized, this makes a big difference.

I was just blown away by these 5.1 mixes in this speaker system! I've listened to these over the years with many different speakers systems in this room, but it was all new last night. For the first time, there is now a hemisphere of precision (and diffuse as required in the mix) sound field. Instruments precisely localize through this arc, positioned based on how the mix is done. Its precision reminds me of very well done Atmos object content. There is virtually no perceivable sound behind the MLP as long as you face the screen/LCRs; just this huge, precise front hemisphere. The timbre match after EQ of the HTM-12 mains and the Volt-10LX surrounds account for a great part of this precision.

I don't have a ton of these (DVD-Audio), but have a few from the 90s.

The Eagles, Hotel California, (96/24 5.1). I don't care for all the tracks, but Hotel California is amazing.

Dianna Krall, Love Scenes. I only care for a couple of these tracks, but the precision and her vocals are wonderful.

Big Phat Band, Swingin' for the Fences. Extremely precise. Great demo, but I can only stand so much.

Dave Koz, The Dance (hi-res PCM 5.1). Very nice!

Blue Man Group, The Complex.

Manheim Steamroller, Christmas Extraordinaire. Not on hand yet, but coming.

Very Cool! I upgraded speakers a couple years ago now and also really enjoyed running back through my multichannel music discs. Unlike movies, I don't use any post processing for these 5.1 mixes and I just love the 360 degree soundfield when sitting in my sweet spot. I love when you get those rear stereo effects that hit behind you where no actual speakers are.

Wish more films contained this Oblivion extra. I love sitting in my pitch black HT room listening to this at reference with the video off so there are no video ques to alert you of sudden changes in the track!
post #7 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Very Cool! I upgraded speakers a couple years ago now and also really enjoyed running back through my multichannel music discs. Unlike movies, I don't use any post processing for these 5.1 mixes and I just love the 360 degree soundfield when sitting in my sweet spot. I love when you get those rear stereo effects that hit behind you where no actual speakers are.

Wish more films contained this Oblivion extra. I love sitting in my pitch black HT room listening to this at reference with the video off so there are no video ques to alert you of sudden changes in the track!
That sounds like fun! I've actually sat through the whole darned movie with just the music track for audio.
Toe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page