post #91 of 165 Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by filper View Post

Aerosmith's 'Oh Yeah!' SACD sounds great.

Wonderful sonics and smoother than a cheerleader

That one may have been recent when the thread started but surely isn't recent now. I did just buy it and think it is good although I haven't heard the CD to compare.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 165 Old 10-03-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ordered four of the Depeche Mode SACD hybrid discs from WOW cd...I also picked up Stone Temple Pilots - Core (DVD Audio) ,Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (DVD Audio), Utopia - Bootleg Series, Vol. 2: KSAN, 95FM Live '79 (Dual Disc), Bob Marley and the Wailers - Soul Rebels (DVD-Audio), Gary Numan - Anthology (DVD-Audio), and Todd Rundgren - Bootleg Series - Live At The Forum, London '94 (DVD-Audio). I also plan on getting the Kraftwerk multichannel disc next along with anything else I can find...Eric
post #93 of 165 Old 10-17-2006, 09:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

I ordered four of the Depeche Mode SACD hybrid discs from WOW cd...

I just recently bought an OPPO 970hd & have been somewhat pickey with what I order. I did order Depeche Mode - Violator SACD/DVD (r2) Remaster from CD-Wow also a few weeks ago. I have to say the DVD version sounds slightly better than the SACD disc. (My only complaint is I can't listen to the real DVD Audio as the OPPO either freezes or plays silence.) Doesn't matter though, this is definately an album for everyone who liked late 80s rock.

It should definately be on the list. The SACD sounds very high & a bit off to me, but the DTS on the DVDA is incredible... I got goosebumps listening to it, the way some of the sounds crawl around the speakers is just like nothing I've ever heard before.
post #94 of 165 Old 10-17-2006, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFelon View Post

I just recently bought an OPPO 970hd & have been somewhat pickey with what I order. I did order Depeche Mode - Violator SACD/DVD (r2) Remaster from CD-Wow also a few weeks ago. I have to say the DVD version sounds slightly better than the SACD disc. (My only complaint is I can't listen to the real DVD Audio as the OPPO either freezes or plays silence.) Doesn't matter though, this is definately an album for everyone who liked late 80s rock.

It should definately be on the list. The SACD sounds very high & a bit off to me, but the DTS on the DVDA is incredible... I got goosebumps listening to it, the way some of the sounds crawl around the speakers is just like nothing I've ever heard before.

I don't think my version had a DVD-Audio track but I will check it out on my PC. The DVD isn't recognized in my DVD-Audio player because it's region 2. I may rip it down on my pc and burn a DTS dvd (region free) to compare against the SACD version.Eric
post #95 of 165 Old 10-18-2006, 05:12 AM

Quote:

I don't think my version had a DVD-Audio track but I will check it out on my PC. The DVD isn't recognized in my DVD-Audio player because it's region 2. I may rip it down on my pc and burn a DTS dvd (region free) to compare against the SACD version.Eric

What program allows you to burn dts audio tracks? I'm aware of the process to backup the tracks, but I don't know what program to use to make a disc.

You may be right, there may not be a DVD-A portion. I'll have to pop the dvd in my computer & see if theres any files in the AUDIO_TS folder. Many thanks. =)
post #96 of 165 Old 10-18-2006, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What program allows you to burn dts audio tracks? I'm aware of the process to backup the tracks, but I don't know what program to use to make a disc.

You may be right, there may not be a DVD-A portion. I'll have to pop the dvd in my computer & see if theres any files in the AUDIO_TS folder. Many thanks. =)

I will mess with it and let you know in a couple of days...I will use either dvd shrink or clone dvd or something like that and burn with nero. I will get back when I'm done testing!Eric
post #97 of 165 Old 10-18-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Violator has both a CD and DVD disc. The CD includes the 2ch mix plus the SACD 5.1 mix (can't remember if there's a 2ch SACD mix avail). The DVD contains some video footage plus the DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1 mixes. Pretty sure no DVD-audio tracks available.
post #98 of 165 Old 10-20-2006, 08:43 AM

Liked: 13
The Who - Tommy.

Mix is phenomenal. Pete Townshend did a spectacular job mixing the guitar and horn sections. The bass and drums lay down a solid foundation. This is how rock DVD-A should be mixed. Reference disk.
post #99 of 165 Old 10-20-2006, 01:58 PM

Wouldn't suppose anyone would know of a place online I can buy the Korn - Untouchables SACD?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=korn
nevermind there's a thread on this disc already.
post #100 of 165 Old 11-17-2006, 11:35 AM

Picked up The Offspring - Greatest Hits (DualDisc) yesterday. The DVD side has the album in 5.1 surround + a couple short videos/interviews. Unfortunately the disc doesn't appear to conform to DVDA standards & I believe might actually be in the Video format.
post #101 of 165 Old 11-17-2006, 12:05 PM

**I think the master list at the beginning of this thread needs to be updated**

The Doors Perception Box set is getting great reviews - all of their 6 albums in CD and DVD-A
post #102 of 165 Old 11-17-2006, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachosgrande View Post

The Who - Tommy.

Mix is phenomenal. Pete Townshend did a spectacular job mixing the guitar and horn sections. The bass and drums lay down a solid foundation. This is how rock DVD-A should be mixed. Reference disk.

I wish the lead vocals were moved a bit foward but it is still one of my favs!
post #103 of 165 Old 11-18-2006, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Picked up The Offspring - Greatest Hits (DualDisc) yesterday. The DVD side has the album in 5.1 surround + a couple short videos/interviews. Unfortunately the disc doesn't appear to conform to DVDA standards & I believe might actually be in the Video format.

You're right, it is a DVD-V. How is the sound quality?

Chris
post #104 of 165 Old 11-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Njl

Two rock titles out since this Summer that as far as I ca see haven't been mentioned are Pere Ubu: The Modern Dance (Dual Disc, DVD side is 2ch and 6ch MLP 24/96, afaik UK release only), and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy: The Letting Go (DVD Audio 24/96 6ch).
post #105 of 165 Old 02-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Listening to the 5.1 mix right on the DVD-V side of that disc right now.

In my humble opinion it certainly sounds more "fun" than the straight stero mix. They have some fun throwing the effects around in the surrounds and really enveloping you with their anthemic choruses. I'm not going to comment on its sound quality versus.. say SACD or DVD-A.. or even CD. I'm no audiophile.

Just saying I certainly enjoyed the 5.1 mix... seemed they had as much fun making it as they do composing their songs.

humble setup: 5 Velodyne CHT speakers, Onkyo 674 rcvr, Oppo 971 dvd player, Hsu VTF2-mk3 sub
post #106 of 165 Old 02-11-2007, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I have not noticed Pete Townsend/Ronnie Lane "Rough Mix", DualDisc with DVD-A mentioned. It most likely will be the last DualDisc with DVD-A as the DualDisc format appears to be going bye bye for DVD-A rock releases. It is a pretty good 70's album I missed during the 70's.

Chris
post #107 of 165 Old 02-11-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njål View Post

Two rock titles out since this Summer that as far as I ca see haven't been mentioned are Pere Ubu: The Modern Dance (Dual Disc, DVD side is 2ch and 6ch MLP 24/96, afaik UK release only), and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy: The Letting Go (DVD Audio 24/96 6ch).

After reading your post I just went to DragCity and ordered "The Letting Go" for my wife but they didn't have a good description of it. They just called it DVD-A. Any idea if it is a Dual-Disc or a true DVD-A?
post #108 of 165 Old 02-21-2007, 03:42 AM

This list is great. I had no idea some of these were out there. I just ordered Biohazard, Fear Factory, Corrosion of Conformity, Linkin Park, Alice in Chains & Bjork. The Bjork looks out of place with the others, but hey, gotta keep the wife happy! Thanks for the list!
post #109 of 165 Old 02-21-2007, 05:08 AM
KMO
Advanced Member

Bit more pop/rock, but Pink - I'm Not Dead.

Fabulous album, fabulous 5.1 mix, but only DVD-Video DualDisc with 384kbps DD, alas.

It seems that she's one of those U.S. artists much bigger overseas than in their homeland, like the Scissor Sisters. Not sure the DualDisc was even released in the U.S.
post #110 of 165 Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
5.1 rock music not mentioned:

Bob Dylan SACDs, Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream DVD-A, 2 Frank Zappa DVD-As, 2 Grateful Dead DVD-As (American Beauty, Workingman's Dead), David Crosby DVD-A (If I could Only Remember My Name), Yes DVD-A (Fragile), Elton John SACDs, Police SACD (Best of), Doors Perception Box Set DVD-As, Talking Heads Brick Box Set DVD-As, Peter Gabriel UP SACD, David Bowie DVD-As, Janis Joplin/Cheap Thrills SACD, Moody Blues SACDs....
post #111 of 165 Old 02-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Doors Perception is an awesome set, pick it up fast, it is going OOP.

Genesis 5.1 set is coming in March, European version will be SACD, check out the Genesis thread.
post #112 of 165 Old 02-22-2007, 03:44 AM

Corrosion of Conformity also has another DVD-A called "Live Volume"
post #113 of 165 Old 03-16-2007, 12:12 PM

What's a good place to buy SACD or DVD-A online? And what's the difference between the two?
post #114 of 165 Old 03-16-2007, 02:14 PM
KMO
Advanced Member

Amazon has plenty for starters.

In brief, they both offer excellent sound quality (better than CD) in either stereo or multichannel (up to 5.1).

SACDs are an extension to CD, so can be played on normal CD players. That's their major plus point. Also, they're purely audio, so there's no messing around with menus you may not be interested in (or even able to see if you haven't turned your TV on).

DVD-Audios are an extension to DVD-Video, so can be played on normal DVD-Video players. They normally have on-screen menus and may feature lyrics and other info. They can also include video clips (although you can't have DVD-Audio quality on the video bits, only normal DD/DTS/stereo PCM). One advantage of DVD-Audio is that you can get surround without a special player (via DD/DTS), unlike SACD.

One problem with DVD-Audio is that players often don't offer easy navigation (group selection); you're forced to go via the on-screen menus, which means turning the TV on (or learning sequences of button presses).

There aren't many titles on both, so it's not like you get to choose, usually.
post #115 of 165 Old 03-16-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got America's Struttin' Our Stuff SA-CD from Amazon U.K. It's a live set and sounds real nice in stereo. I don't do M/C at present but it has that. It appears to be a German release and it was recorded at the Ohme Filter, a famous venue. I have other live albums from there. They have video cameras at the Ohme....this stuff could turn up with video on down the line...?

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #116 of 165 Old 03-18-2007, 04:55 PM

Rachael, mi hermana! Been missing your humor and perspective, welcome!

TonyW
post #117 of 165 Old 03-18-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotguy8289 View Post

Rachael, mi hermana! Been missing your humor and perspective, welcome!

Thank you! It's hard for me to find hi-rez releases I wanna buy anymore. It's hard to find anything worth posting about.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #118 of 165 Old 03-20-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post

Amazon has plenty for starters.

In brief, they both offer excellent sound quality (better than CD) in either stereo or multichannel (up to 5.1).

SACDs are an extension to CD, so can be played on normal CD players. That's their major plus point. Also, they're purely audio, so there's no messing around with menus you may not be interested in (or even able to see if you haven't turned your TV on).

DVD-Audios are an extension to DVD-Video, so can be played on normal DVD-Video players. They normally have on-screen menus and may feature lyrics and other info. They can also include video clips (although you can't have DVD-Audio quality on the video bits, only normal DD/DTS/stereo PCM). One advantage of DVD-Audio is that you can get surround without a special player (via DD/DTS), unlike SACD.

One problem with DVD-Audio is that players often don't offer easy navigation (group selection); you're forced to go via the on-screen menus, which means turning the TV on (or learning sequences of button presses).

There aren't many titles on both, so it's not like you get to choose, usually.

To be precise only so called HYBRID SACD's can be played on a CD player and then only the CD layer is played and only in stereo so the quality is exactly the same as of CD. No quality improvement whatsover for the sake of compatibility. Similarly, DVD-A can be played on a DVD player but then only the DTS track is being played. Again, no quality improvement compared to CD (actually much lower lower than CD), although multichannel playback is possible.

HD: TOSHIBA HD-A2
TV: PHILIPS 50PF9731
SACD: SONY AVD-S50ES
DAP: PHILIPS Streamium SL-400 (LOSSLESS)
MEDIA SERVER: TwonkyMedia/Buffalo Linkstation
post #119 of 165 Old 03-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Well, Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream isn't on your list. Awesome album, awesome mix (I consider it the best surround mix in my modest collection).

Also, Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance 5.1 special edition is pretty good, I'm listening to it for the first time right now. Still a great album, only with added awesomeness.
post #120 of 165 Old 03-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here's a quick link to DVD-A titles currently in stock at Acoustic Sounds:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/cate...?start=1&id=23

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page