Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 168 Old 07-20-2006, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If it is Warner they will probably be Dual Disc

I'll wait and buy them as imports from Europe when they are released as CD/DVDA.

Good news but will have to wait and see.

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
post #3 of 168 Old 07-20-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No problem with DualDiscs here. This might be a good set and one of the few rock releases in DVD-A the second half of this year.

Chris
post #4 of 168 Old 07-20-2006, 09:08 PM

Sweet!
Been waiting for this news.
L.A. Woman was one of my first DVD-A purchases, back in the formats infancy.
post #5 of 168 Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Will be getting this, if its DVD-A.
post #6 of 168 Old 07-22-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_BC View Post

If it is Warner they will probably be Dual Disc

They did 2 Flaming Lips, a whole bunch of REM and all of Seal's releases as CD+DVD-A. Has Warner Bros. made some official DualDisc-only announcement since then? While hardly a tragedy, that would be a bit of a drag, IMO.
post #7 of 168 Old 07-22-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post

Sweet!
Been waiting for this news.
L.A. Woman was one of my first DVD-A purchases, back in the formats infancy.

riders of the storm sounds great.
post #8 of 168 Old 07-22-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdusty View Post

They did 2 Flaming Lips, a whole bunch of REM and all of Seal's releases as CD+DVD-A. Has Warner Bros. made some official DualDisc-only announcement since then? While hardly a tragedy, that would be a bit of a drag, IMO.

No Official announcement, but I guess it depends on which arm of Warner this is, how recent the release and in some long shot cases (haha) what the artists may want.

Rhino recently out with the Jesus/Mary Chain DualDiscs, the Talking Heads Brick DualDisc and the new Bjork Brick is DualDisc.

Warner did Dire Straits Brothers In Arms as DualDisc but that was a while ago in US. They also did a re-re-release of Grateful Dead American Beauty on DualDisc which is also still around as DVDA only. Eric Clapton, Back Home is DualDisc, also released by WEA - Warner. I'm pretty sure the Doors were on Elektra, which would probably be a WEA DualDisc re-release.. Only a guess on my part.

At any rate, I see more new releases by US labels in DualDisc these days, and I wait for any CD+DVDA sets that come around instead.

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
post #9 of 168 Old 07-22-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_BC View Post

Warner did Dire Straits Brothers In Arms as DualDisc but that was a while ago in US. They also did a re-re-release of Grateful Dead American Beauty on DualDisc which is also still around as DVDA only.

I just got the DualDisc today and think it is great. I was never a fan of the original album although I consider it their best. This is a great job and if they do as well with the Doors music on DualDisc, it should be fine.

Chris
post #10 of 168 Old 07-25-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw on the Rhino Records website that they've got a Doors' remastered set coming out. Is this the same thing?
post #11 of 168 Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

I just looked, but can't find the web page. Can you pls link to it ?
post #12 of 168 Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

This doesn't offer much, but I had read about it somewhere else.

http://www.rhino.com/store/upcoming.lasso
post #13 of 168 Old 07-26-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

I saw on the Rhino Records website that they've got a Doors' remastered set coming out. Is this the same thing?

No, it is different. The hi-res boxset will contain re-mastered editions of all of The Doors' studio albums. According to www.thedoors.com, the set will be availble in October for about $150.
post #14 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM

post #15 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 PM

Here's a picture of the box set :

http://www.raymanzarek.us/thedoors/box.jpg

It looks like it is going to be two discs per album - one remastered CD and one DVD-A. The DVD-A will have hi-res 5.1 and stereo, DTS, and DD.

The Doors website lists the price at $149 with a release date of November 21st:

http://messageboard.thedoors.com/ind...pic=31271&st=0

My b-day is November 18th - I already know what I want.
post #16 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I am definitely looking forward to this. I wonder what the cost will be?
post #17 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybes View Post

I am definitely looking forward to this. I wonder what the cost will be?

The information I have seen is an MSRP of $150. I would guess on line discount price will be around $120.

Chris
post #18 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

The information I have seen is an MSRP of $150. I would guess on line discount price will be around $120.

Chris

Thanks Chris-I will be a buyer.
post #19 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 07:32 PM

Hey there... first post here after reading for quite some time.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that this Doors set will be fantastic. I've been a Doors fan for a long time and I've been waiting for this DVD-A set for years. If you head over to the Doors official forum, there's a few discussions all about this set and the manager of The Doors has been posting all the info as it is avaliable.

The LA Woman dvd-a that is out now is outstanding and there's no doubt that the rest of the albums will follow suit- Bruce Botnick is a fantastic engineer. Just like the LA Woman disc, there will be new bits and pieces added to the songs, so in addition to the great clarity that the DVD Audio format enables, we'll also be hearing some "new" stuff.

I cant wait.

The set will be avaliable for pre-order on Thedoors(.)com sometime in September or possibly October. While the final details haven't been set, the manager is looking to toss in a few free downloads from the upcoming Doors Download service for those that preorder.
post #20 of 168 Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just rec'd an advance copy of The Doors - Perception box set. It's quite impressive! Alas, I didn't get the deluxe packaging, but I have all the CDs, DVD-As, liner notes, info, etc. If anyone has any Q's, shoot away.

As has been stated, hi-res DVD-A @ 96/24, folks! Each disc also includes Dolby Digital 5.1, 2.0 and DTS 5.1 options for DVD-Video players. Photo Galleries and Mobile Phone Ringtones are also included.

I've done a *very* quick browse thru the discs and the only disappointment is that the first album's surround tracks have only light ambience in the rears - not discrete at all. Not even "The End," which was a letdown, after hearing the more spacious mix in Apocalypse Now. The other albums were very clearly discrete surround. I'll double check and post back if otherwise.

Here's a tracklisting.
post #21 of 168 Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

How's the overall sound quality? Also, is it possible to purchase any of the disks from this set separately?
post #22 of 168 Old 09-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Very, very good sound quality. Considering the vintage 1/2" 4-track on 4-track recording of the first album (Strange Days thru L.A. Woman were recorded on 1" 8-track), the audio is quite remarkable. Don't expect bombastic low-end, but this is the best the catalogue has ever sounded. In fact, after revisiting the original tracks, engineer Bruce Botnick discovered that the first album, "as it has existed on the street for the past 40 years, is running slow and off-key - flat to be exact." By almost a full half-step! Botnick continues in the liner notes, "what I determined was the following: when the album was mixed at Elektra studios in New York, either the 4-track playback recorder was running slow, or the stereo 2-track was running fast...What resulted is that the albums that are on the street, be they vinyl or CD, are playing back slow...so now, with the new mixes, you will hear the entire album at the correct speed and correct pitch..."

Have not heard anything about separate releases for each album; however, Rhino did just that with the Talking Heads, so we shall see...
post #23 of 168 Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 PM

How are the 2.0 remixes? Anything jump out like extra vocals, longer fades, etc? Also, how are the outtakes and alt takes?

Thanks!

Chris
post #24 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Moise View Post

How are the 2.0 remixes? Anything jump out like extra vocals, longer fades, etc? Also, how are the outtakes and alt takes?

Thanks!

Chris

The stereo mixes have been remixed as well? I thought it was all the original stereo mixes with new (obviously) 5.1 remixes?

Flexx,

On the subject of resolution, when you say 96/24, is that for both the stereo and surround? Is there any 192/24 or 176.4/24 stereo on there?

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #25 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, 96/24 for both stereo and surround.

Re: re-mixing for stereo...here's where it gets hairy...I'm not a huge Doors fan, so I don't have the original vinyl or anything to compare to. I did some A-B'ing of "The Doors" DVD-A and accompanying CD. The liner notes indicate stereo remixing, and the CD stereo mix does sound different to its hi-res stereo counterpart. The CD is duller, has a thicker low-end, and has about 3-4db less dynamic range (dynamically limited) than the hi-res stereo (i.e. the CD is LOUDER). The stereo layout of both are very similar, but I still think they are two different mixes; however, even on the stereo CD, Morrison says "she gets high" on "Break On Thru" so I'm not sure if the CD is also a remix (wasn't that lyric not present in the original 1967 mix?). I did not see more than one stereo option in the menu (not including the Dolby Digital stereo option for DVD-V players).

Just checked the liner notes more carefully. Botnick writes, "the new mixes are 100% complete and Jim now sings as recorded: 'She gets high.'"

So there you go. Not sure if every album is treated the same, but I am sure this will be a point of great discussion, and a point I don't know enough about.

This thread may also be of interest re: the recording of the first album.
post #26 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

Yes, 96/24 for both stereo and surround.

Re: re-mixing for stereo...here's where it gets hairy...I'm not a huge Doors fan, so I don't have the original vinyl or anything to compare to. I did some A-B'ing of "The Doors" DVD-A and accompanying CD. The liner notes indicate stereo remixing, and the CD stereo mix does sound different to its hi-res stereo counterpart. The CD is duller, has a thicker low-end, and has about 3-4db less dynamic range (dynamically limited) than the hi-res stereo (i.e. the CD is LOUDER). The stereo layout of both are very similar, but I still think they are two different mixes; however, even on the stereo CD, Morrison says "she gets high" on "Break On Thru" so I'm not sure if the CD is also a remix (wasn't that lyric not present in the original 1967 mix?). I did not see more than one stereo option in the menu (not including the Dolby Digital stereo option for DVD-V players).

Just checked the liner notes more carefully. Botnick writes, "the new mixes are 100% complete and Jim now sings as recorded: 'She gets high.'"

So there you go. Not sure if every album is treated the same, but I am sure this will be a point of great discussion, and a point I don't know enough about.

Thanks for your time and effort. personally, I don't mind if the stereo is remixed as I am mainly interested in the high-res 5.1. I already have all the original CDs with the original mixes.

On a different topic, does anyone hvae any new news on when this is going to be available for pre-order?

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #27 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

The stereo mixes have been remixed as well? I thought it was all the original stereo mixes with new (obviously) 5.1 remixes?

Flexx,

On the subject of resolution, when you say 96/24, is that for both the stereo and surround? Is there any 192/24 or 176.4/24 stereo on there?

Each album on the box has 3 mixes. Original stereo, 2.0 remix (not a fold down of the 5.1) as well as the 5.1 remix.
post #28 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Moise View Post

Each album on the box has 3 mixes. Original stereo, 2.0 remix (not a fold down of the 5.1) as well as the 5.1 remix.

Thanks for the info.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #29 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Chris, did you also receive an advance copy of the set? I only see DD 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround, and Dolby Stereo (DVD-V players) and Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo (DVD-A players) as the options in the "Audio Setup" menu. No third option for the original stereo mix (unless I'm really missing something or what I've rec'd is not the final product). They do look like the final deal, and they're DVD-9s (in the past, I've rec'd advance copies of concerts on two DVD-5s, indicating that the final version will have all the content on one disc).
post #30 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

Chris, did you also receive an advance copy of the set? I only see DD 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround, and Dolby Stereo (DVD-V players) and Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo (DVD-A players) as the options in the "Audio Setup" menu. No third option for the original stereo mix (unless I'm really missing something or what I've rec'd is not the final product). They do look like the final deal, and they're DVD-9s (in the past, I've rec'd advance copies of concerts on two DVD-5s, indicating that the final version will have all the content on one disc).

I don't have a copy but I'm told each album is represented by a DVD-A as well as a redbook CD. The remastered original mix should be on the redbook CD.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page