The Doors hirez DVD-A boxset coming soon . . . - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 168 Old 07-20-2006, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Martinf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/dv...ges/26154.html
Martinf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 168 Old 07-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
PaulT_BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: B.C., Canada
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If it is Warner they will probably be Dual Disc

I'll wait and buy them as imports from Europe when they are released as CD/DVDA.

Good news but will have to wait and see.

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
PaulT_BC is offline  
post #3 of 168 Old 07-20-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No problem with DualDiscs here. This might be a good set and one of the few rock releases in DVD-A the second half of this year.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline  
post #4 of 168 Old 07-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Newbie
 
MadMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sweet!
Been waiting for this news.
L.A. Woman was one of my first DVD-A purchases, back in the formats infancy.
MadMatt is offline  
post #5 of 168 Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Krobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Will be getting this, if its DVD-A.
Krobar is offline  
post #6 of 168 Old 07-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Member
 
captdusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_BC View Post

If it is Warner they will probably be Dual Disc

They did 2 Flaming Lips, a whole bunch of REM and all of Seal's releases as CD+DVD-A. Has Warner Bros. made some official DualDisc-only announcement since then? While hardly a tragedy, that would be a bit of a drag, IMO.
captdusty is offline  
post #7 of 168 Old 07-22-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post

Sweet!
Been waiting for this news.
L.A. Woman was one of my first DVD-A purchases, back in the formats infancy.

riders of the storm sounds great.
oztech is online now  
post #8 of 168 Old 07-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
PaulT_BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: B.C., Canada
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdusty View Post

They did 2 Flaming Lips, a whole bunch of REM and all of Seal's releases as CD+DVD-A. Has Warner Bros. made some official DualDisc-only announcement since then? While hardly a tragedy, that would be a bit of a drag, IMO.

No Official announcement, but I guess it depends on which arm of Warner this is, how recent the release and in some long shot cases (haha) what the artists may want.

Rhino recently out with the Jesus/Mary Chain DualDiscs, the Talking Heads Brick DualDisc and the new Bjork Brick is DualDisc.

Warner did Dire Straits Brothers In Arms as DualDisc but that was a while ago in US. They also did a re-re-release of Grateful Dead American Beauty on DualDisc which is also still around as DVDA only. Eric Clapton, Back Home is DualDisc, also released by WEA - Warner. I'm pretty sure the Doors were on Elektra, which would probably be a WEA DualDisc re-release.. Only a guess on my part.

At any rate, I see more new releases by US labels in DualDisc these days, and I wait for any CD+DVDA sets that come around instead.

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
PaulT_BC is offline  
post #9 of 168 Old 07-22-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_BC View Post

Warner did Dire Straits Brothers In Arms as DualDisc but that was a while ago in US. They also did a re-re-release of Grateful Dead American Beauty on DualDisc which is also still around as DVDA only.

I just got the DualDisc today and think it is great. I was never a fan of the original album although I consider it their best. This is a great job and if they do as well with the Doors music on DualDisc, it should be fine.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline  
post #10 of 168 Old 07-25-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
s2silber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw on the Rhino Records website that they've got a Doors' remastered set coming out. Is this the same thing?
s2silber is offline  
post #11 of 168 Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Martinf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just looked, but can't find the web page. Can you pls link to it ?
Martinf is offline  
post #12 of 168 Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
s2silber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This doesn't offer much, but I had read about it somewhere else.

http://www.rhino.com/store/upcoming.lasso
s2silber is offline  
post #13 of 168 Old 07-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Member
 
royceb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

I saw on the Rhino Records website that they've got a Doors' remastered set coming out. Is this the same thing?

No, it is different. The hi-res boxset will contain re-mastered editions of all of The Doors' studio albums. According to www.thedoors.com, the set will be availble in October for about $150.
royceb is offline  
post #14 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
water1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Pleasant Ridge & Suttons Bay, MI, Carefree, AZ
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
water1 is offline  
post #15 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Member
 
royceb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a picture of the box set :

http://www.raymanzarek.us/thedoors/box.jpg

It looks like it is going to be two discs per album - one remastered CD and one DVD-A. The DVD-A will have hi-res 5.1 and stereo, DTS, and DD.

The Doors website lists the price at $149 with a release date of November 21st:

http://messageboard.thedoors.com/ind...pic=31271&st=0

My b-day is November 18th - I already know what I want.
royceb is offline  
post #16 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Randybes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am definitely looking forward to this. I wonder what the cost will be?
Randybes is offline  
post #17 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybes View Post

I am definitely looking forward to this. I wonder what the cost will be?

The information I have seen is an MSRP of $150. I would guess on line discount price will be around $120.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline  
post #18 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Randybes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

The information I have seen is an MSRP of $150. I would guess on line discount price will be around $120.

Chris

Thanks Chris-I will be a buyer.
Randybes is offline  
post #19 of 168 Old 08-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Newbie
 
AK2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there... first post here after reading for quite some time.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that this Doors set will be fantastic. I've been a Doors fan for a long time and I've been waiting for this DVD-A set for years. If you head over to the Doors official forum, there's a few discussions all about this set and the manager of The Doors has been posting all the info as it is avaliable.

The LA Woman dvd-a that is out now is outstanding and there's no doubt that the rest of the albums will follow suit- Bruce Botnick is a fantastic engineer. Just like the LA Woman disc, there will be new bits and pieces added to the songs, so in addition to the great clarity that the DVD Audio format enables, we'll also be hearing some "new" stuff.

I cant wait.

The set will be avaliable for pre-order on Thedoors(.)com sometime in September or possibly October. While the final details haven't been set, the manager is looking to toss in a few free downloads from the upcoming Doors Download service for those that preorder.
AK2112 is offline  
post #20 of 168 Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: South Florida
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just rec'd an advance copy of The Doors - Perception box set. It's quite impressive! Alas, I didn't get the deluxe packaging, but I have all the CDs, DVD-As, liner notes, info, etc. If anyone has any Q's, shoot away.

As has been stated, hi-res DVD-A @ 96/24, folks! Each disc also includes Dolby Digital 5.1, 2.0 and DTS 5.1 options for DVD-Video players. Photo Galleries and Mobile Phone Ringtones are also included.

I've done a *very* quick browse thru the discs and the only disappointment is that the first album's surround tracks have only light ambience in the rears - not discrete at all. Not even "The End," which was a letdown, after hearing the more spacious mix in Apocalypse Now. The other albums were very clearly discrete surround. I'll double check and post back if otherwise.

Here's a tracklisting.
Flexx is offline  
post #21 of 168 Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
s2silber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How's the overall sound quality? Also, is it possible to purchase any of the disks from this set separately?
s2silber is offline  
post #22 of 168 Old 09-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: South Florida
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very, very good sound quality. Considering the vintage 1/2" 4-track on 4-track recording of the first album (Strange Days thru L.A. Woman were recorded on 1" 8-track), the audio is quite remarkable. Don't expect bombastic low-end, but this is the best the catalogue has ever sounded. In fact, after revisiting the original tracks, engineer Bruce Botnick discovered that the first album, "as it has existed on the street for the past 40 years, is running slow and off-key - flat to be exact." By almost a full half-step! Botnick continues in the liner notes, "what I determined was the following: when the album was mixed at Elektra studios in New York, either the 4-track playback recorder was running slow, or the stereo 2-track was running fast...What resulted is that the albums that are on the street, be they vinyl or CD, are playing back slow...so now, with the new mixes, you will hear the entire album at the correct speed and correct pitch..."

Have not heard anything about separate releases for each album; however, Rhino did just that with the Talking Heads, so we shall see...
Flexx is offline  
post #23 of 168 Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Newbie
 
Chris Moise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How are the 2.0 remixes? Anything jump out like extra vocals, longer fades, etc? Also, how are the outtakes and alt takes?

Thanks!

Chris
Chris Moise is offline  
post #24 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Moise View Post

How are the 2.0 remixes? Anything jump out like extra vocals, longer fades, etc? Also, how are the outtakes and alt takes?

Thanks!

Chris

The stereo mixes have been remixed as well? I thought it was all the original stereo mixes with new (obviously) 5.1 remixes?

Flexx,

On the subject of resolution, when you say 96/24, is that for both the stereo and surround? Is there any 192/24 or 176.4/24 stereo on there?

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #25 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Flexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: South Florida
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, 96/24 for both stereo and surround.

Re: re-mixing for stereo...here's where it gets hairy...I'm not a huge Doors fan, so I don't have the original vinyl or anything to compare to. I did some A-B'ing of "The Doors" DVD-A and accompanying CD. The liner notes indicate stereo remixing, and the CD stereo mix does sound different to its hi-res stereo counterpart. The CD is duller, has a thicker low-end, and has about 3-4db less dynamic range (dynamically limited) than the hi-res stereo (i.e. the CD is LOUDER). The stereo layout of both are very similar, but I still think they are two different mixes; however, even on the stereo CD, Morrison says "she gets high" on "Break On Thru" so I'm not sure if the CD is also a remix (wasn't that lyric not present in the original 1967 mix?). I did not see more than one stereo option in the menu (not including the Dolby Digital stereo option for DVD-V players).

Just checked the liner notes more carefully. Botnick writes, "the new mixes are 100% complete and Jim now sings as recorded: 'She gets high.'"

So there you go. Not sure if every album is treated the same, but I am sure this will be a point of great discussion, and a point I don't know enough about.

This thread may also be of interest re: the recording of the first album.
Flexx is offline  
post #26 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

Yes, 96/24 for both stereo and surround.

Re: re-mixing for stereo...here's where it gets hairy...I'm not a huge Doors fan, so I don't have the original vinyl or anything to compare to. I did some A-B'ing of "The Doors" DVD-A and accompanying CD. The liner notes indicate stereo remixing, and the CD stereo mix does sound different to its hi-res stereo counterpart. The CD is duller, has a thicker low-end, and has about 3-4db less dynamic range (dynamically limited) than the hi-res stereo (i.e. the CD is LOUDER). The stereo layout of both are very similar, but I still think they are two different mixes; however, even on the stereo CD, Morrison says "she gets high" on "Break On Thru" so I'm not sure if the CD is also a remix (wasn't that lyric not present in the original 1967 mix?). I did not see more than one stereo option in the menu (not including the Dolby Digital stereo option for DVD-V players).

Just checked the liner notes more carefully. Botnick writes, "the new mixes are 100% complete and Jim now sings as recorded: 'She gets high.'"

So there you go. Not sure if every album is treated the same, but I am sure this will be a point of great discussion, and a point I don't know enough about.


Thanks for your time and effort. personally, I don't mind if the stereo is remixed as I am mainly interested in the high-res 5.1. I already have all the original CDs with the original mixes.


On a different topic, does anyone hvae any new news on when this is going to be available for pre-order?

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #27 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Newbie
 
Chris Moise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

The stereo mixes have been remixed as well? I thought it was all the original stereo mixes with new (obviously) 5.1 remixes?

Flexx,

On the subject of resolution, when you say 96/24, is that for both the stereo and surround? Is there any 192/24 or 176.4/24 stereo on there?

Each album on the box has 3 mixes. Original stereo, 2.0 remix (not a fold down of the 5.1) as well as the 5.1 remix.
Chris Moise is offline  
post #28 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoldenBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Moise View Post

Each album on the box has 3 mixes. Original stereo, 2.0 remix (not a fold down of the 5.1) as well as the 5.1 remix.

Thanks for the info.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com
 

GoldenBoy is offline  
post #29 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Flexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: South Florida
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:


Each album on the box has 3 mixes. Original stereo, 2.0 remix (not a fold down of the 5.1) as well as the 5.1 remix.

Chris, did you also receive an advance copy of the set? I only see DD 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround, and Dolby Stereo (DVD-V players) and Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo (DVD-A players) as the options in the "Audio Setup" menu. No third option for the original stereo mix (unless I'm really missing something or what I've rec'd is not the final product). They do look like the final deal, and they're DVD-9s (in the past, I've rec'd advance copies of concerts on two DVD-5s, indicating that the final version will have all the content on one disc).
Flexx is offline  
post #30 of 168 Old 09-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Newbie
 
Chris Moise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

Chris, did you also receive an advance copy of the set? I only see DD 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround, and Dolby Stereo (DVD-V players) and Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo (DVD-A players) as the options in the "Audio Setup" menu. No third option for the original stereo mix (unless I'm really missing something or what I've rec'd is not the final product). They do look like the final deal, and they're DVD-9s (in the past, I've rec'd advance copies of concerts on two DVD-5s, indicating that the final version will have all the content on one disc).

I don't have a copy but I'm told each album is represented by a DVD-A as well as a redbook CD. The remastered original mix should be on the redbook CD.
Chris Moise is offline  
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off