Yes- Fragile SACD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-28-2006, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anyone buy the new MFS version of Fragile? I have the DVD-Audio version where they messed up the flip of the synthesizer. If it is correct on this new version, I will buy it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-28-2006, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickB
...................... where they messed up the flip of the synthesizer.
please elaborate

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 20 Old 11-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickB
Did anyone buy the new MFS version of Fragile? I have the DVD-Audio version where they messed up the flip of the synthesizer. If it is correct on this new version, I will buy it again.
The new MFSL version of fragile is redbook only, not SACD, so somewhat of a moot point.
post #4 of 20 Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 PM

I'm currently looking for a copy of this disc. I just bought a universal player to replace my Sony SACD and this was the first disc I wanted to get. Should I not buy it? Is it good (aside from this synth thing you referenced)?

Any other DVD-a's of the same ilk you could recommend??
post #5 of 20 Old 11-29-2006, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy2003
Any other DVD-a's of the same ilk you could recommend??
If you like YES then definitely get the "Fragile" DVD-A.

Same ilk? How about Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's "Brain Salad Surgery".

Hell, I'd even say The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is the same ilk, too.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #6 of 20 Old 11-30-2006, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim
If you like YES then definitely get the "Fragile" DVD-A.

Same ilk? How about Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's "Brain Salad Surgery".

Hell, I'd even say The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is the same ilk, too.
Wow, I own both and I would say Yoshimi and BSS are not even close. I haven't heard the YES DVD-A, but would consider it of the same ilk as BSS based on my foggy memory from decades ago of the music. "Brain Salad Surgery" is an over the top 70's progressive rock album, pretty bombastic, excessive, and indulgent but somehow it really works for me. "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is experimental pop music, very lightweight. Both are not for everyone and in that regard, I can say they are similar. I couldn't even call Yoshimi rock music.

Chris
post #7 of 20 Old 12-08-2006, 12:52 PM

Just got this disc and I'll listening to it as I type this (Heart of the Sunrise). While I realize this disc was put out a while ago, and while it's nice, I can't help but feel that they could've done more with it. I'm glad to have it in my collection, but I was hoping for more from the mix.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-08-2006, 12:53 PM

Just listening to America for the first time. I thought it would be a mellow song highlighting Anderson's voice, but this is quite different than I expect.

Interesting...
post #9 of 20 Old 12-08-2006, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have the Fragile DVD A and while it's very good, I prefer the Magnification DVD A by a large margin. The mix is much more agressive and even without keyboards, the orchestral arrangement more than compensates. Oh, and the music is more "fresh" than I've heard in years.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #10 of 20 Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 PM

Yeah, I'll probably get Magnification as well, but how could I pass up a chance to get Fragile???!!!

I had such high expectations.....perhaps that's why I wasn't blown away. I set the bar too high.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-09-2006, 08:59 AM

Where are you finding Fragile DVD-A? Everywhere I go on-line says it's backordered and has been for some time. Same thing for ELP Brain Salad Surgery. I'm a big fan of both groups and would love to have both of these. Thanks for any tips on getting these!
post #12 of 20 Old 12-09-2006, 09:52 AM

I paid around 25 bucks for it through Sound City on Ebay. I considered buying it through some European outlets that had it in stock, but I wasn't sure if DVD-a's are encoded for regions like DVD's.

I asked the question here and no one answered.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-09-2006, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Generally, DVD-As are NOT encoded for regions (at least, none of my 30 or so DVD-As is region-encoded--and that includes Fragile and Brain Salad Surgery), though the video material may be in PAL or NTSC, depending on where it comes from. My player does both, so I don't worry about it, but it could be a concern for some.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-09-2006, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 304
The Yes and ELP DVD-As were released quite some time ago which is why they may be hard to find. Given the lack of enthusiam for the hirez formats they probably didn't make very many.

The Rhino remasters of the Yes catalog are quite good. Is the MFSL CD made from yet another (re)master?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #15 of 20 Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 AM

I just got back from my local Best Buy and, much to my surprise, they now have a separate section for DVD-Audios and SACD's. There weren't many there, but again another pleasant surprise for me - they had the Fragile DVD-A ($15). I also hunted down ELP's BSS used on Amazon, so I might pull the trigger on that one too. I love buying myself presents for Christmas!
post #16 of 20 Old 12-09-2006, 02:01 PM

The DVD-A of BSS is quite good. My BSS CD is extremely compressed (dynamic range-wise). Don't know if there has been a remaster of the CD or not.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #17 of 20 Old 12-09-2006, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Brain Salad Surgery has some great, subwoofer-sweat inducing bass, even in tracks in which you might not expect to find such low notes (Still, You Turn Me On and the bonus track, Lucky Man). For those two-channel purists (though what they would be doing in the "surround music formats" forum is beyond me ;) ), note that despite what the labeling might say, there is NO two channel hi-res portion of the disc on any Brain Salad Surgery DVD-A from the original pressing (I would bet there was only one pressing, but I don't know that for sure).
post #18 of 20 Old 12-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
The DVD-A of BSS is quite good. My BSS CD is extremely compressed (dynamic range-wise). Don't know if there has been a remaster of the CD or not.

larry
To my knowledge there are several versions of BSS on CD.

1) Atlantic (non-remastered) version - This one is quite old and hard to find.
2) Victory/Rhino version mastered by Joesph Palmaccio. This one is supposedly the first to use the original 1st generation master. This is my personal favorite.
3) Sanctuary records in the UK issued a version which seems to use the same master as the DVD-A (more on this later)
4) There are at least two Japanese mini-LP versions. The one that I own (K2 HD) sounds the same as the Victory to me.

Note that the DVD-A (and some of the Sanctuary CD's) used a different source tape on some (all?) the songs. Most notable is Benny the Bouncer. The vocals are different on the original vs the DVD-A. The most obvious difference being the line in the original recording is "The people **gasped** as he bled" on the DVD-A is "The people **laughed** as he bled".

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #19 of 20 Old 12-10-2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks Mark. I have 1). I have some other Rhino remasters (Yes and some others) and they do a good job. I'll have to pick up the BSS CD. I am 2ch person but BSS in multichannel would be something I would not classify as "gimmicky" because it could possibly recreate the live sound when they first toured doing BSS. They setup speakers on the sides and rear of the auditorium. I remember standing on the floor in the center next to the sound board(s). Quite a show!

larry

post #20 of 20 Old 12-10-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
Thanks Mark. I have 1). I have some other Rhino remasters (Yes and some others) and they do a good job. I'll have to pick up the BSS CD. I am 2ch person but BSS in multichannel would be something I would not classify as "gimmicky" because it could possibly recreate the live sound when they first toured doing BSS. They setup speakers on the sides and rear of the auditorium. I remember standing on the floor in the center next to the sound board(s). Quite a show!

larry
Yes it was...the rumor I heard it was Pink Floyd's quad system they used. I know to my young ears it was amazing. I was buzzed for days. The panning effects for the synth in Tarkus and Karn Evil just ripped your consciousness. As you can see, I'm still effected. Besides, I dusted off the 'Welcome Back my Friends" CD last week. You still get the effect in 2 channel.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Closed Thread Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page