Thx? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX 52 TX and it is capable of doing THX processing. I have been listening to Dolby Digital EX (6.1 setup) and lately have been pressing the THX button just for the heck of it. When I do this all voices come out of the center channel. I mean all. I hear background stuff out of the 2 fronts as well as the rears. In Dolby, voices come out of all 3 fronts. I really don't know which to like. Both I think have their advantages and disadvantages.

In terms of movies which one makes more sense? Normal TV watching? Or just the general theory behind it, which one makes more sense and why? Sometimes I think that the center was suppose to supply the voice audio but if I were to have so big mains and a nice center ... would I be wasting my huge mains? What are those suppose to be used for then?

Thank you.

EDIT: BTW the audio coming out of the 2 fronts seem to be very low compared to the center. Not only the voice audio comes out of the center. Should I be turning up fronts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry didn't know this was a music forum.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

Sorry didn't know this was a music forum.

Well, actually, the same thing applies to music/soundtracks. Folks have differing
opinions about what sounds best. ....and please don't confuse "certifications"
with the actual process, whether it be DD, DTS, MLP or whatever the encoding
scheme is. (THX is a "certification", e.g., while the ones I mentioned are actual
sound encoding processes).
The perception of less sound from the center (or rears for that matter) is due to
either the way the sound was encoded/engineered or your particular speaker
placement / receiver-HT device is adjusted to deliver the sound.

I am glad to see that even "Management" questions things-

boondocks
post #4 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 06:38 PM

As you mention boondocks, THX is a certification. It is not a encoding / decoding process like DTS or Dolby Digital. Actually it is a certification that a total package complies with a minimum specification for performance in ALL areas. IE, a THX certified theatre must meet minimum requirements in many areas including screen brightness and size, projection angle, speaker positioning, noise floor levels, room isolation, etc.
Also, the particular film you are watching needs to be THX certified beginning with the post production facility environment.
True commercial THX certification also has a yearly renewal.

While there is a consumer certification for individual home theatre components, there are still WAY more parameters that ultimately determine whether you are achieving true THX specification. There is no 'magic button' that will transform your home theatre in all these areas.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post

As you mention boondocks, THX is a certification. It is not a encoding / decoding process like DTS or Dolby Digital. Actually it is a certification that a total package complies with a minimum specification for performance in ALL areas. IE, a THX certified theatre must meet minimum requirements in many areas including screen brightness and size, projection angle, speaker positioning, noise floor levels, room isolation, etc.
Also, the particular film you are watching needs to be THX certified beginning with the post production facility environment.
True commercial THX certification also has a yearly renewal.

While there is a consumer certification for individual home theatre components, there are still WAY more parameters that ultimately determine whether you are achieving true THX specification. There is no 'magic button' that will transform your home theatre in all these areas.

..Go buy Terminator 3 (T-3) enhanced THX version DVD and make sure your speakers are set to 80htz for true THX listening mode, you will most definitely hear and see a difference. PS... looks even greater with an upconvert from the standard 480p.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
THX Surround EX and THX Ultra2 Music, Movie modes are post processing, and while it's part of the respective "certification" those are processing algorythms, not formats but certainly " DSP modes" just like CS surround, PLIIx and Logic 7.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #7 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

THX Surround EX and THX Ultra2 Music, Movie modes are post processing, and while it's part of the respective "certification" those are processing algorythms, not formats but certainly " DSP modes" just like CS surround, PLIIx and Logic 7.

That is true but, as you say, they are processing algorythms and are an optional part of the THX specification. They are simply THX approved processing modes. In other words, if you have a THX certified theatre room, initiating these modes will not 'un-certify' the experience.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is true but, as you say, they are processing algorythms and are an optional part of the THX specification. They are simply THX approved processing modes. In other words, if you have a THX certified theatre room, initiating these modes will not 'un-certify' the experience.

It's the opposite, THX Ultra II must include those and many other post processing to get certified. My point is THX for home is more then just certifications. Of corse I'm talking strictly of AV processor /Receivers here, power amps and speakers have different criterias.

The Hun
post #9 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

It's the opposite, THX Ultra II must include those and many other post processing to get certified. My point is THX for home is more then just certifications. Of corse I'm talking strictly of AV processor /Receivers here, power amps and speakers have different criterias.

You are correct. My previous post was, perhaps a little ambiguously, referring to processing modes on home theatre receivers.
THX Ultra II is a specification for large home theatre setups with a viewing distance greater than 12 feet.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-29-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Among other things, it is also has to be "7.1" channel capable.

The Hun
post #11 of 12 Old 02-07-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:

You are correct. My previous post was, perhaps a little ambiguously, referring to processing modes on home theatre receivers.
THX Ultra II is a specification for large home theatre setups with a viewing distance greater than 12 feet.

Ultra II..yikes...200 sq. ft living room so i bypassed that process when buying my receiver. I notice the difference with the select 2 cin though.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-10-2007, 10:29 AM

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page