Question From A Newbie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

I've just myself an AV system (Yamaha AV Amplifier, Tannoy 5.1 Speakers, Pioneer DVD Player)

The DVD player plays all high resolution audio formats and I'm having some fun listening to the hybrid discs that were already in my collection but enjoyed from the Red Book layer only! I've bought myself a couple of DVD-A discs (Jackson Browne 'Running On Empty' and Donald Fagen 'The Nightfly')

I've looked around the Internet and the general concensus seems to be that there isn't much to choose between SACD and DVD-A but little seems to be said about DTS.

Can anyone advise me as to the best quality format?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-24-2007, 07:53 AM

Liked: 11
DJ - it is true that DVD Audio/SACD rock releases have dried up to a trickle, but there's still the occasional gem being released. Check out the new Barenaked Ladies DVD-A release of their last two albums - it's excellent if you have any liking for that band at all. The CD Universe website has specific listings for DVD-A and SACD, so check that out to get a better view of what's still available, though you won't find any of the Dual Disc DVD-A releases in that category. If you get adventurous, check out the AIX Records website, as they specialize in DVD-A. I particularly recommend "Rumor Mill" by the Carl Verheyen Band (former Supertramp guitarist). AIX's presentation is second to none, as you get numerous extras, usually at least two different 5-channel mixes, and other goodies. You can also pick up the last year's 5.1 remixing of the entire Talking Heads catalog, either by buying the entire package, known as the "Brick", or by buying the individual dual disc releases. "Speaking in Tongues" is the best of the lot in my opinion. As for DTS, dont overlook such fine recent releases as Alan Parsons "A Valid Path" and BT's "This Binary Universe", musical tone poems coupled with some very interesting video. If you're a fan of electronica/trance music you would especially enjoy it. Oh yeah the entire Genesis back catalog will be released in 5.1 surround this year - either in SACD or DTS, not sure which will show up on these shores. The Doors "Perception" DVD-A box set was also released late last year, and I understand individual discs will be released sometime this year. As for sound quality, I think DTS often sounds every bit as good as the other two formats, so to me I don't get particular about that. Welcome to surround!
post #3 of 3 Old 02-24-2007, 12:23 PM

Liked: 10
Here's one source for DTS;
http://www.dtsonline.com/entertainme...ogue/music.php
Personally, I own SACD, DVDA & DTS.
HTH.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version