New RUSH album in 5.1, maybe hi-res - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 144 Old 07-11-2007, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not sure of the release date. It is listed as a recent arrival at acousticsounds.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 144 Old 07-11-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieheels View Post

Snakes & Arrows will be released in 96/24 stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1. It is part of the new MVI (Music Video Interactive) discs which will vary in format from disc to disc.

Check out their website at mvimusic.com.

Yeah, we know, there are some who already posted on this. I'm not thrilled with this concept at all.

The Hun
post #123 of 144 Old 07-12-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Crap...not another debacle of a format... What the heck is a killer band like Rush thinking putting out this junk? Same goes for Fagen and the Lips...must have been a pretty good incentive to embrace a seemingly dud of a format. After reading about mvi at their site, it sounds like a hokey catch-all wannabe format with all kinds of useless bells and whistles...who the hell really wants ringtones on their album...just give us a decent mix and some hi-res! I love the part about the .ini file that is created on any computer you put the disc in and that it leaves all of your info there unless you go in and either de-register or delete the file. I think I'm most disappointed in the Flaming Lips, who have put out 3 pretty good DVD-A's packed with more content than any fan could want. Why jump the shark with mvi?

J.

Custom Built For The Win!
post #124 of 144 Old 07-12-2007, 01:51 PM

I agree, I am a huge Rush fan and a fan of sacd and dvd-audio. this crap they put out is extremely dissapointing.
post #125 of 144 Old 07-13-2007, 06:09 PM

I don't get people bashing a 96/24 stereo recording. Who cares about the ringtones, you still have what should be the best sounding Rush album ever.

The goal in marketing is to try to attract people who otherwise wouldn't be exposed to high resolution audio.

I am excited about any high resolution recording available for new release.
post #126 of 144 Old 07-13-2007, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

But if the multichannel recording is a disaster and the stereo mix doesn't sound good, then what's the point? You can toss in all of the bells and whistles and "attractive features" you'd like, but all I care about is the SQ. If that's not there then I'm not interested. I'll pick up the CD version instead. Furthermore, the MVI disc isn't playable in any non-DVD player...car, 2-channel system, office hi-fi, portable CD player, boombox, etc. I don't know how ripping and burning is governed within the format, but right away I'd steer clear. Sure DVD-A has the same limitations, but you knew what you were getting, and many DVD-A's were/are packaged with standard CDs. Hybrid SACD does it all in one disc.

At any rate, they're trying to sell a catch-all format that appeals to a crowd that's looking for something else in a disc...I'm just disappointed to see bands like Rush and Fagen and the Lips jump on the bandwagon.

J.

Custom Built For The Win!
post #127 of 144 Old 07-14-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

set picture resolution for 720p or 1080i.

Just as a follow-up I have been working with Oppo support all week on trying to get the Rush DVD to play at 96khz over HDMI, they've been very helpful but aren't sure what the deal is. They are going to try and get a copy of the disk themselves and try it.

I can play it at 96khz over optical/coax (where you can go ahead an set the LPCM rate to 96khz or above, but it doesn't negotiate 96khz over HDMI. Anyone else have the stereo track playing at 96khz with the Oppo 981HD?

thanks

Adam
post #128 of 144 Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
keep us posted.

The Hun
post #129 of 144 Old 11-10-2007, 07:58 PM

Liked: 13
Any update? I have an Oppo 981 and an Integra DTC-9.8 and I get 48KHz over HDMI. 96KHz over coax.
post #130 of 144 Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This disc in surround is growing on me nicely!
post #131 of 144 Old 11-11-2007, 08:19 PM

For some reason if I leave HDMI to auto then my MVI DVD of Rush - Snakes and Arrows gets sampled at 48KHz, instead of 96KHz stereo as it is recorded on the disc. If I set HDMI to LPCM and select a 96KHz or 192KHz rate it comes out at the proper 96KHz stereo sampling rate. This also affects the coax output also.
post #132 of 144 Old 11-12-2007, 09:34 AM

I noticed the same thing while playing Neil Young's new Chrome Dreams DVD. This must be a widespread issue, though, as Neil's DVD menus include instructions about proper DVD player set-up to get the hi-rez (96KHz in this case) stream via optical or coax (but, curiously, not hdmi).
post #133 of 144 Old 11-14-2007, 05:07 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

I haven't read this whole thread and haven't heard the new album, but RUSH is not known for the quality of their recordings. If we could get Alex Lifeson off of the mixing board and let somebody new come in, then we might have something, but as far as I'm concerned they have not been recorded and mixed properly since the early '80s.

And Rush In Rio sounds like crap, not to mention Vapor Trails which is completely distorted due to the faders being at 11.

I guess I should check out the new one but have been burned to many times by my favorite band.
post #134 of 144 Old 11-14-2007, 05:16 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

I just read through some of the posts and it seems like Rush is up to their old tricks with the distorted clipping and overlimiting.
Is there anybody in that orgainization who has good hearing and knows how to record/mix/master things properly?
post #135 of 144 Old 11-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I agree with the Rush in Rio not having quality sound. But I think they got the sound right on the Rush R30, 30th Anniversary DVD.
post #136 of 144 Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

I agree R30 is recorded better.
post #137 of 144 Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 AM

Just picked up Snakes & Arrows. I really like the surround mix. Sounds pretty damn good to me. I wish they would re-issue some of their older stuff in MCH format.
post #138 of 144 Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Well, there is further evidence to support my claim that something isn't quite right with this 96KHz Snakes & Arrows--

I picked up a two disc recording of the "Charlie Brown Christmas" at Fry's over the holiday. This set features the soundtrack on standard audio CD and on a 96KHz/24bit high-resolution disc (DVD format). When I play back the hi-res disc, guess what happens? My Yamaha RX-V1 receiver actually displays "96khz" PCM. I have never actually seen it do this before since all of my other hi-res formats have been SACD or DVD-Audio which will only allow hi-res over the multi-channel analog out.

This discovery is very curious. Perhaps it indicates a lack of any copy protection on the Charlie Brown 96KHz disc. I do notice a very very brief flash of the "96khz" label on my receiver when I play the Rush disc, but it then switches back to 48khz.

Oh, and also important to note is the Charlie Brown 96KHz disc does sound BETTER than the CD whereas I am not hearing any difference with Snakes & Arrows.
post #139 of 144 Old 01-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting, JDRYYZ.

What kind of connection are you using between (what model of?) DVD player and the RX-V1 when playing the Charlie Brown? 5.1 channel analog outs when playing back SACD and DVD-A?

Random anecdotal testimony: my Pio 563A does show 96/24 when playing back the stereo track. Having said that, at least upon very cursory first listen (I've been delaying the high rez) I share the criticism of a less noticeable improvement in SQ compared to other 96/24 tracks I have.
post #140 of 144 Old 01-23-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post

I picked up a two disc recording of the "Charlie Brown Christmas" at Fry's over the holiday. This set features the soundtrack on standard audio CD and on a 96KHz/24bit high-resolution disc (DVD format). .

Sounds like a "Monster Audio" scam. If you like it, great. Not hi-rez though.

TonyW
post #141 of 144 Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

I haven't read this whole thread and haven't heard the new album, but RUSH is not known for the quality of their recordings. If we could get Alex Lifeson off of the mixing board and let somebody new come in, then we might have something, but as far as I'm concerned they have not been recorded and mixed properly since the early '80s.

And Rush In Rio sounds like crap, not to mention Vapor Trails which is completely distorted due to the faders being at 11.

I guess I should check out the new one but have been burned to many times by my favorite band.

You may want to try the new MoFi remaster of Permanent Waves. It's 2 channel CD, comes in a crappy mini-LP sleeve instead of a nice jewel case and is still $25 but the mix is, at least in my humble opinion, excellent. I can't say for sure, but I do not believe Mr. Lifeson was anywhere near the board for this one.

https://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo...mber=MOBGCD772

Edit: I just noted the date on the quoted post, my bad. Recommendation still stands.
post #142 of 144 Old 01-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

I'm using digital coax between my RX-V1 and the Pioneer Elite DV-46Av player for the CB disc. Analog 5.1 for the high-res audio formats. I also tried the Rush MVI over analog, too, but again there was no noticeable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Interesting, JDRYYZ.

What kind of connection are you using between (what model of?) DVD player and the RX-V1 when playing the Charlie Brown? 5.1 channel analog outs when playing back SACD and DVD-A?

Random anecdotal testimony: my Pio 563A does show 96/24 when playing back the stereo track. Having said that, at least upon very cursory first listen (I've been delaying the high rez) I share the criticism of a less noticeable improvement in SQ compared to other 96/24 tracks I have.

post #143 of 144 Old 01-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Its sounds great to my ears....noticeably better than the standard CD audio disc and comparable to other 96KHz recordings I have sampled. What makes this a scam? Heck, it was a real bargain for $9.99.

Now, if you want to talk scam...that's how I'm feeling about the Rush MVI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotguy8289 View Post

Sounds like a "Monster Audio" scam. If you like it, great. Not hi-rez though.

post #144 of 144 Old 02-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm using digital coax between my RX-V1 and the Pioneer Elite DV-46Av player for the CB disc.

Is the "Charlie Brown" disc not encrypted? Or does the DV-46AV specifically pass 24/96 via the digital output? It was my understanding that encrypted high rez content can not be passed via optical or coaxial digital outputs and that it instead gets 'downrezzed.'
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page