New RUSH album in 5.1, maybe hi-res - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 357
RUSH's new album, "Snakes and Arrows," set to be released on May 1st, might (might) be our first taste of RUSH in advanced resolution. It seems that it will definitely be in 5.1 (had that in R30 - but not with virgin studio material).

I'm not sure about the hi resolution though. They're offering both a CD version and a "DVD-Album" version.

The presale site, linked above, says the following about the "DVD-Album" version:

Quote:

New, never before released DVD-Album format.

The Rush Snakes & Arrows DVD-album comes in a deluxe box, and includes these 13 new songs in hi-resolution audio, the entire album in 5.1 surround sound, a video documentary on the making of the album, and more.

About DVD Albums: With a higher storage capacity than the standard CD, this DVD-album is loaded with exciting new features including superior sound quality plus a wide range of video features and interactive digital content combine to bring you closer to the artists and their music. It plays in all standard DVD players, computers, and game consoles with DVD drives. Digital music files are compatible with all MP3 devices.

Perhaps there is something I don't know... If in fact this album was DVD-Audio - with advanced resolution - it would, of course play on any dvd player, as they describe, and do so in 5.1 - but in order to take advantage of the hi-res it would need to be played on a DVD-A compatible player. Is there some other "hi-resolution audio" that they could be referring to that would not require the use of anything more than a run-of-the-mill dvd player?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am just thrilled that RUSH is releasing another album. The extra stuff on the dvd-album sound great on their own, namely the making-of documentary, but I'd be extra thrilled if it was true hi-res.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Woo Hoo! New Rush!

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
post #3 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The description of the "DVD-Album" above, with references to hi-res audio, etc. sounds to me like good 'ol DVD-Audio with the addition of MP3 files on the disk (always a good idea, and doesn't take much space). DVD-Audio has always been compatible with all DVD players. No mention is made that *all* DVD players will be able to play the hi-res content, which also makes sense.

post #4 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS10L View Post

Woo Hoo! New Rush!

You can hear the first single, "Far Cry," at RUSH.com .
post #5 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
Cool. It sounds like we're finally getting some real 5.1 Rush that isn't a concert or the old stuff on the Chronicles DVD...

Are they going to have a tour for this album? I've been a Rush fan for many years and I've turned my son into a Rush fan too. I want to take him to a Rush concert before he misses out on them. Can a 7 year old go to a Rush concert? I remember seeing whole families at the two Rush shows I've seen (Vapor Trails and R30).

XBL GamerTag: Fiveprime
PSN: Fiveprime
post #6 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveprime View Post

Are they going to have a tour for this album?

Yes! The tour dates were just released yesterday. You can find them at RUSH.com. Presale for some of the dates began this morning. rushisaband.com is a good place to get the info - presale tickets are found at the same site I gave above with the album presales.
post #7 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 102
that's cool.

is there any chance they would release an older album in multichannel hi-rez? especially moving pictures or 2112?

'...have an A1 day!'
post #8 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

that's cool.

is there any chance they would release an older album in multichannel hi-rez? especially moving pictures or 2112?

Well, there have been talks of that in the past - some conversations can be found in this forum. Rumors have never manifested anything but more talk and speculation - I think at one point Alex said something to suggest that they would not venture into the hi-res or multichannel (or both, can't remember which), but with the R30 5.1 and the forthcoming Snakes And Arrows, it appears that something has changed in that regard. If that means they'll go back and re-release the old albums in these formats, who knows? I can tell you that it would make me a very happy fan though.

There is always the chance that this will be the last RUSH album. I hope they keep making albums for another 20 years, but it isn't likely. The next best thing to new material would be re-releases of their old stuff in hi-res.
post #9 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Right around the time of the release of R30, Alex indicated to me a desire to do 2112 in 5.1 for the 30th anniversary (2006), but that the new album would take priority.
post #10 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

...Alex indicated to me...

Are you and he friends?
post #11 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveprime View Post

Are they going to have a tour for this album? I've been a Rush fan for many years and I've turned my son into a Rush fan too. I want to take him to a Rush concert before he misses out on them. Can a 7 year old go to a Rush concert? I remember seeing whole families at the two Rush shows I've seen (Vapor Trails and R30).

Both of my son's are Rush fans (8 and 11) . I wouldn't think there would be a problem taking your son to a concert as long as you know how to answer the question "What is that funny smell Dad?"
I'll be taking both of mine when Rush comes to town.....based on their tour dates I'm hoping that's going to be in AUgust as there is nothing close to me for June and July.

The problem with obsessions is that they are insatiable.
post #12 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Would love to hear Hemispheres and a Farewell to Kings in Hi - Rez. Permanent Waves would be great just for Natural Science!

Vital signs in hi res would be great as well....
post #13 of 144 Old 03-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you and he friends?

Interview here.
post #14 of 144 Old 03-28-2007, 03:04 AM

I wonder if the 5.1 edition is the one with ASIN B000OPOANE on Amazon?

Mitch

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy
and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks
all those childhood traumas magically wiped away
along with most of your personality
post #15 of 144 Old 03-28-2007, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"DVD-Album" looks like DVD-Video with MP3 added.
Wonderful - NOT.
post #16 of 144 Old 03-28-2007, 05:10 AM
KMO
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No reason why there shouldn't be DVD-Audio content too. What else are they going to use the space for? The MP3s are only going to take up <1% of the disc... My Seal 1991-2004 disc shows just how much you can fit on a dual-layer DVD-Audio - two 10+ track albums in hi-res, plus ~10 videos... And Warner mentioned double-sided, dual-layer discs...

Warners' initial press blurb from August 2006 said the discs could be either DVD-Video or DVD-Audio.

As long as it does include DVD-Audio content, sounds like a pretty good solution to DVD-Audio's main problem - lack of rippability. Originally the problem may have been lack of CD compatibility, but I think now that's moot - now it's more the fact it can't be easily copied to computer, and hence onto iPod, or whatever. Basically, every post-CD format has been scuppered by the presence of copy protection.

I wonder if they'll come up with yet another whole new case type, or stick with the mid-size Super Jewel Boxes.
post #17 of 144 Old 03-28-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just pre-ordered from Amazon. 25,000 copies could go fast if the reviews are good. Just what we need is another "new format". It does say hi resolution and 5.1 but not in the same sentence so we will have to wait and see.
post #18 of 144 Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 AM

post #19 of 144 Old 03-28-2007, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin JC View Post

Check this out:

http://avzombie.com/blog/2006/08/09/...to-replace-cd/

Well, this looks hopeful.
post #20 of 144 Old 03-28-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

I just pre-ordered from Amazon. 25,000 copies could go fast if the reviews are good. Just what we need is another "new format". It does say hi resolution and 5.1 but not in the same sentence so we will have to wait and see.

I just ordered the DVD version on amazon. I then checked the top sellers. The DVD version is #5 and the CD version is #27. Pretty impressive for the old timers.
post #21 of 144 Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"DVD-Album" looks like DVD-Video with MP3 added.
Wonderful - NOT.

I just heard from my contact at Rhino and the position is that the inclusion of hi-res on DVD-Albums, while not automatic, will be driven by the producer/artist.
post #22 of 144 Old 03-29-2007, 04:29 AM

This is the best news I've heard in awhile!
BTW, I saw Rush 7 times in 7 different places during thier Vapor Trails tour, their show would be just fine to take the kids to, in fact, a lot of people took their young children. Their sound is not overwhelmingly loud, the people their were always nice. A fun concert for all ages. Of course you always get the one drunk guy that is still stuck in the 70s/80s running around screaming RUSH RULES!
CD Universe has the CD/DVD preorder for $15.18
post #23 of 144 Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 AM

Yeah, we're taking the kids too. 5 and 8 years old. Ear plugs at the ready, sitting in the family zone up in the grass. That way they can spread out, dance, do whatever...still get to hear and mostly see, all that is Rush. Seen them so many times, now it's time to spread the love.

Ordered the CD/DVD at amazon and then saw it at CD universe for about $7 cheaper shipping two weeks before the amazon order. Go figure...

Come on, Rush doesn't have the DVD-A chops like Porcupine Tree yet. Those guys rock too.
post #24 of 144 Old 03-29-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
DVD-A would be cool, but I'd even take DD 5.1. Personally, I'd sooner listen to the lossy 5.1 mixes of "Love", "Hotel California", or "American Beauty" than hi-rez stereo, no amount of resolution can replace that immersion.

I'd agree, Rush crowds are always cool. I think my mom took me and my friend Mike to our first one.

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
post #25 of 144 Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

DVD-A would be cool, but I'd even take DD 5.1. Personally, I'd sooner listen to the lossy 5.1 mixes of "Love", "Hotel California", or "American Beauty" than hi-rez stereo, no amount of resolution can replace that immersion.

I'd agree, Rush crowds are always cool. I think my mom took me and my friend Mike to our first one.

Hey, Jack!

RUSH crowds are cool!

If I'm lucky, my building of these WWMT's will finish just in time for the release of this album. Stereo, 5.1, hi-res or not, nothing makes me happier than new RUSH material.

I've read a few things about the possibility of this album on vinyl. I know they did a limited release as such for Vapor Trails. If anyone comes across anything, let me know.
post #26 of 144 Old 03-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

I just heard from my contact at Rhino and the position is that the inclusion of hi-res on DVD-Albums, while not automatic, will be driven by the producer/artist.

So how 'bout finding out whether the new Rush DVD-Album will be one of those?
post #27 of 144 Old 03-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
DVD Album, mp3, hi-res audio, 5.1, 16:9 is all cool but let's not forget that the last few Rush releases were pretty widely considered as poorly mastered. Vocals and guitars mushed together, muddy sound and poor mixing. It's probably more apparent because they were known for the exact opposite in the 80's & early 90's. Great musicians and great production values. Having been a Rush fan for all of their 30 years I don't like saying that. I hope they pull it all together on this one. Will be interesting to hear.
post #28 of 144 Old 03-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So how 'bout finding out whether the new Rush DVD-Album will be one of those?

Just asked. When and if I get a response, I'll definitely post back.

And yes, eganov, I hope this title is not mastered with the dynamic range of a square wave.
post #29 of 144 Old 03-29-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Both of the reviews I've read (one -and, more in depth, two) suggest that the production job of Nick Raskulinecz is much improved over Vapor Trails. I, too, was disappointed with the muddiness of the last album (I don't really count Feedback).

The first single, Far Cry, can be heard on the bands' website. While it is a low-quality mp3, it is obviously a different game than VT. Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganov View Post

DVD Album, mp3, hi-res audio, 5.1, 16:9 is all cool but let's not forget that the last few Rush releases were pretty widely considered as poorly mastered. Vocals and guitars mushed together, muddy sound and poor mixing. It's probably more apparent because they were known for the exact opposite in the 80's & early 90's. Great musicians and great production values. Having been a Rush fan for all of their 30 years I don't like saying that. I hope they pull it all together on this one. Will be interesting to hear.

post #30 of 144 Old 03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Vapor Trails sounded awful!! But, I love the music!!!!!!!!!!!!

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE (L/R), Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE-C, Wave Crest HVL-1 (Surr) and Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page