Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 595 Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post

I liked the "old" samplers which had entire songs on them. Of course I can understand from a marketing standpoint why there's only partial songs, but everytime I listen to the newer samplers and the song cuts off I start going "arghhh, but, but....I want the rest."
There was an editorial in this months Bilboard magazine by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) titled "The album is still alive" and talks about packaging albums with extras like surround to entice buyers "Give album lovers something aesthetically pleasing to buyand trust me, they'll buy it." To me, this sums up AIX offerings. Not only are they loaded with extras, video, multiple surround mixes, but they also can be purchased in more than the traditional methods.
Here's a link to the Steven Wilson Editorial

I just found this forum and started reading from the first page. After only a few pages, I got excited, when to the AIX website and ordered

AIX Records Presents: A High-Resolution Audio Experience
Price: $24.98

Then I see your post. I have emailed and called AIX but havent heard back from them. Does anyone know if the DVD that I ordered has the complete songs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 595 Old 07-21-2009, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl@ltDel View Post

...AIX Records Presents: A High-Resolution Audio Experience...Does anyone know if the DVD that I ordered has the complete songs?

It does not have complete recordings, just samples of each. It's great for showing off your setup (since your guests usually won't want to hear entire songs/movements/pieces anyway), but it is a tad unfortunate to be enjoying something and then have it fade out. That's how they get you!
post #273 of 595 Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
In April:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

On the BD news front, we've completed our first demo for Dolby and are moving on to our manufacturers bundle disc and then our new AIX Sampler version 4. There will be 21 HD Audio/Video tracks with three mixes on the BD disc and 47 (edited) tracks on the new DVD-Audio/Video disc. This will be the best AIX sampler ever.

What's the news? I have an SACD player and a BR player, but no DVD-A. I am eager to purchase quality music on BR, so please give me some news on when your sampler will be ready! Thanks!

post #274 of 595 Old 07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I just found this forum and started reading from the first page. After only a few pages, I got excited, when to the AIX website and ordered

AIX Records Presents: A High-Resolution Audio Experience
Price: $24.98

Then I see your post. I have emailed and called AIX but havent heard back from them. Does anyone know if the DVD that I ordered has the complete songs?

They used to throw in the old samplers (which had full songs) when you purchased a title or two. Maybe you can call and see if you can get your hands on one of their older sample discs.
post #275 of 595 Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradandbree View Post

It does not have complete recordings, just samples of each. It's great for showing off your setup (since your guests usually won't want to hear entire songs/movements/pieces anyway), but it is a tad unfortunate to be enjoying something and then have it fade out. That's how they get you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post

They used to throw in the old samplers (which had full songs) when you purchased a title or two. Maybe you can call and see if you can get your hands on one of their older sample discs.

Thank you both. I received a call today and am now getting the Nitty Gritty and sampler cds! I cant wait.
post #276 of 595 Old 07-27-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Thank you both. I received a call today and am now getting the Nitty Gritty and sampler cds! I cant wait.

Got the discs today, while they sound good on the "blue" side I cant play the "red" side on a Playstation 3. How much am I missing?
post #277 of 595 Old 07-27-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Got the discs today, while they sound good on the "blue" side I cant play the "red" side on a Playstation 3. How much am I missing?

The red side is the dvd audio side. The PS3 does not play dvd audio discs. The blue side has the dts and dd lossy encodes which is why you are able to play it in the PS3.
post #278 of 595 Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-aid23 View Post

The red side is the dvd audio side. The PS3 does not play dvd audio discs. The blue side has the dts and dd lossy encodes which is why you are able to play it in the PS3.

Thank you. Which side has the higher quality sound?
post #279 of 595 Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:

Thank you. Which side has the higher quality sound?

The DVD-Audio side (red side) has the potential to sound much better. Naturally, this potential will be realized better with better equipment, a better treated room, etc. Will it be night and day under most circumstances? No. But it should sound better. If you can tell a difference between Dolby TrueHD/DTS MA and Dolby 5.1/DTS in your movies, you'll be able to tell the difference between the DD 5.1 track and the DVD-Audio track on this disc. Either way, if you don't have a DVD-Audio player, you'll still enjoy the disc a lot.
post #280 of 595 Old 07-28-2009, 06:48 AM

Is this disc available for purchase? As Oppo Europe has somehwat canceled the EU edition of BDP-83 and Oppo Digital does not ship items to my country.
post #281 of 595 Old 07-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveer View Post

Is this disc available for purchase? As Oppo Europe has somehwat canceled the EU edition of BDP-83 and Oppo Digital does not ship items to my country.

If you are speaking of the special disc being made just for Oppo, I would say no. I'm sure that's a special disc to be shipped with Oppo BDP-83 units only.

-t
post #282 of 595 Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

on a dvd-audio release, the blue side has the DD/DTS soundtrack. I dunno about the BD release

if this is a BD, and the blue side has DTS-HD Master audio it could probably sound better (or at least just as good as the red side)

Boo!
post #283 of 595 Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

I have always said- if you really wanted to hear a major improvement is your system.
For ~$24. Purchase one of the AIX DVD-A's. It is a completely different sound experience.
db
post #284 of 595 Old 07-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknoguy View Post

If you are speaking of the special disc being made just for Oppo, I would say no. I'm sure that's a special disc to be shipped with Oppo BDP-83 units only.

-t

Thank you for the anwser. I was referring to the Blu-ray edition yes. But now I saw AIX has a new DVD-A sampler which I'll have to order after I come back from Japan. Two more months of waiting.
post #285 of 595 Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 PM

I second that. Aix are fantastic.
BTW, Avguide just posted a long, detailed review, dated July 30, 2009, of the Oppo 83. Go to www.avguide.com. There, click on reviews. Then click on "O" to get to Oppo. There, click on the Oppo 83 review. You'll get a box of parameters- price, dimensions, formats it plays. You have to click on one line under the box to actually get to the review. (Guess they want to hide the review). I just printed it out- 17 pages of paper. I'm going to buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

I have always said- if you really wanted to hear a major improvement is your system.
For ~$24. Purchase one of the AIX DVD-A's. It is a completely different sound experience.
db

post #286 of 595 Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

In April:

What's the news? I have an SACD player and a BR player, but no DVD-A. I am eager to purchase quality music on BR, so please give me some news on when your sampler will be ready! Thanks!

Still no Blu Ray release, nor news on it huh?

post #287 of 595 Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
I received an email yesterday and expect a FEDEX shipment today from Oppo with a new BD-83 (I'm installing the second one in my home) and a bunch of the new discs. According to my friend at Oppo, it looks "gorgeous" (and sounds incredible too).

There were some printing issues but all that has been sorted out. The new AIX Records BD Audio Calibration Disc and HS Music Sampler is done and available. I believe that Oppo will be including it with every new machine and making it available to older purchasers. There is also talk of making the disc available through retail.

It's been a long time coming but our first BD effort is finally finished.

AIX Records will also be making our expanded calibration and sampler disc using BD technology as well as traditional DVD-Audio/Video. It's in progress and will feature 47 tracks, lots of expanded test tones and set up information.

We're working on some new BD titles from our catalog and new productions...but things are going slowly. I've been working with YooStar.com since the first of the year and we're getting ready for our big launch in a few weeks. It's been a busy time.
post #288 of 595 Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

I received an email yesterday and expect a FEDEX shipment today from Oppo with a new BD-83 (I'm installing the second one in my home) and a bunch of the new discs. According to my friend at Oppo, it looks "gorgeous" (and sounds incredible too).

There were some printing issues but all that has been sorted out. The new AIX Records BD Audio Calibration Disc and HS Music Sampler is done and available. I believe that Oppo will be including it with every new machine and making it available to older purchasers. There is also talk of making the disc available through retail.

It's been a long time coming but our first BD effort is finally finished.

AIX Records will also be making our expanded calibration and sampler disc using BD technology as well as traditional DVD-Audio/Video. It's in progress and will feature 47 tracks, lots of expanded test tones and set up information.

We're working on some new BD titles from our catalog and new productions...but things are going slowly. I've been working with YooStar.com since the first of the year and we're getting ready for our big launch in a few weeks. It's been a busy time.

Sound very exciting on all fronts. Can't wait to get to sample that new disc soon.

A new calibration disc too?... awesome! Dr.AIX, what will this new calibration disc have that other calibration discs do not?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #289 of 595 Old 08-04-2009, 02:12 PM

Dr. Waldrep- If Oppo is going to be including your BR disc free with every BDP-83, I wish they would say so somewhere on their website. I just looked again at www.oppodigital.com at the 83 area and went all the way through hitting "BUY" right up to "checkout" and they don't mention an AIX disc. They do say they include something called the "Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark Disc" with every 83.

Their failure to mention an AIX disc is causing confusion and probably causing some of your fans to delay buying an 83. Please straighten this out with them. I'm ready to buy an 83 and my finger is on a hair-trigger as it hovers over my mouse on the Oppo site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Sound very exciting on all fronts. Can't wait to get to sample that new disc soon.

A new calibration disc too?... awesome! Dr.AIX, what will this new calibration disc have that other calibration discs do not?

post #290 of 595 Old 08-04-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

Dr. Waldrep- If Oppo is going to be including your BR disc free with every BDP-83, I wish they would say so somewhere on their website. I just looked again at www.oppodigital.com at the 83 area and went all the way through hitting "BUY" right up to "checkout" and they don't mention an AIX disc. They do say they include something called the "Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark Disc" with every 83.

Their failure to mention an AIX disc is causing confusion and probably causing some of your fans to delay buying an 83. Please straighten this out with them. I'm ready to buy an 83 and my finger is on a hair-trigger as it hovers over my mouse on the Oppo site.

They definately will include the AIX disc with the player, but I don't know for sure if they have implemented this yet. If it was currently in effect, it would say so on their site.
I know the good Dr. is a very busy man. I will try to send a note to my contact at OPPO and see if there is any info available that can be posted here.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #291 of 595 Old 08-04-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

Quote:

They definately will include the AIX disc with the player, but I don't know for sure if they have implemented this yet. If it was currently in effect, it would say so on their site.
I know the good Dr. is a very busy man. I will try to send a note to my contact at OPPO and see if there is any info available that can be posted here.

Here is the response I got from OPPO...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPO View Post

We just received the first batch of discs on Monday. Today we started shipping out discs to users who previously purchased the BDP-83. We will update the site soon.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #292 of 595 Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

I just received a box from Oppo with the AIX Calibration/Sampler BD disc. Six months in the making...and we finally have a BD disc in our hands! Even for a seasoned optical disc producer like me, this is a milestone.

I'm very glad that the folks at Oppo responded....those interested in the player and the disc will have the goods soon.

I'd love to get feedback from any of you...as soon as you get a chance to hear and see it.
post #293 of 595 Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just received a box from Oppo with the AIX Calibration/Sampler BD disc. Six months in the making...and we finally have a BD disc in our hands! Even for a seasoned optical disc producer like me, this is a milestone.

I'm very glad that the folks at Oppo responded....those interested in the player and the disc will have the goods soon.

I'd love to get feedback from any of you...as soon as you get a chance to hear and see it.

I should have one Saturday. Looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #294 of 595 Old 08-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Great news! I too am glad that Oppo responded and clarified that anyone who buys an 83 at this point, and those who bought prior to today, will get the AIX disc. This is going to really help AIX get more widely known!

I hope you've all looked at the ~20 pp. review of the 83 I pointed out a couple days ago. It really raves about the unit. It says it does not make CDs sound as good as some multi-thousand dollar players, but it is equal to any costing a grand. Maybe a few of the mediocre-sounding CDs I own (on my Panny S-97 player) can be redeemed by it.

What an effort, Dr. Waldrep- six months in the making for your BD disc. It only takes nine to produce a child. We all appreciate the effort and the craftsmanship you put into every production-every one of them lovingly produced to achieve the highest quality.

Somehow we'll have to get your BD disk into the hands of Dave Packard. The only sampler of yours I have is "A High-Resolution Audio Experience" number 70433-82001-9. I have one opened- my copy- and two still in shrink-wrap. One will go to Packard.

BTW, Packard is a Stanford grad, of course, and he has a master's degree from UCLA in Film. In fact, he paid for a film restoration lab at UCLA to save the movies disintegrating in cans. Then he got a Ph.D degree in Latin or something from Harvard. This Packard I'm talking about is the son of H-P co-founder David Packard. That Packard (d. in 1996) only made Phi Beta Kappa at Stanford in the 1930's while lettering in four sports. As a Stanford grad myself, I can attest to that being a real feat. HP co-founder William Hewlett died in 2001. His son, too, has a Ph.D degree, in Computer Science, from MIT, I believe.

I believe that you got your Ph.D degree from UCLA, Dr. Waldrep, so you and Packard are fellow alumni of UCLA. That might help him take in interest in AIX. I guarantee nothing, of course, but I shall urge him to take an interest. I can tell you this: Packard does not suffer fools gladly. I've talked to him a couple of times at his Stanford Movie Theatre in Palo Alto. Polite and everything, but you don't stand there and take up his time. On an intellectual level, I'd rate you about equal, and both far above me. That intellectual prowess on your part, your dedication to the highest quality products, and just the decency that comes through when one talks to you, or Mrs. Waldrep, all would stand you in good stead with Mr. Packard. You aren't a Mormon, are you? That would really stand you in good stead.

I costed out a really top-gun PC the other day on the HP site. Around $3,300, including a blue-ray player and a HD widescreen monitor. What if HP decided to include your BR sampler with every such PC they sold? That would keep your production people busy no doubt.

Quote:

post #295 of 595 Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Caqn us regular people order your Blu Ray disk from you?
What is on it?

post #296 of 595 Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't set up the BD test disc in the shopping cart. If anyone is desperate for it...I have some and will make them available to readers of this list if you write to me through the web site or call.
post #297 of 595 Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Mine arrived today, unannounced from Oppo! Way to go Oppo!

(also had the missing blue filter for the Spears and Munsil disc)

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #298 of 595 Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 PM

If you go to www.oppodigital.com and then click on the "news" tab at the very top, you find about 10 long, detailed reviews of the 83. Almost every word in them is soaring praise for the BDP-83.

WRT Aix and other DVD-As, see the review there from Soundstageav.com, dated July 1, 2009. Paragraph #14 of it reads:

"Elsewhere you'll see reports that the BDP-83 either doesn't play or has trouble playing DVD-As. First, some initial editions of the manual stated that it doesn't, because originally, that's what Oppo had planned. Second, the player occasionally gets finiky when it has played a DVD-Video or BlueRay disc just before a DVD-A. In that case, if you load a DVD-A, turn off the machine, then turn it back on, the DVD-A will usually work fine". ... "Oppos representatives state that any problems with DVD-A playback "have been largely resolved with the latest public beta version of the firmware"

SO, if you get a machine with that latest firmware version you should have no issues with playing DVD-As. That is my reason for waiting a while to order my 83. I hate firmware upgrades and hope I get one with the latest-or at least this- firmware. (I've always wondered how long it takes for a firmware upgrade to start appearing on machines sold to the public). But it looks like the worst you could have to deal with, without the firmware upgrade, is turning the machine off and then back on after you load a DVD-A.

Another review there, from Home Theater and High Fidelity, dated June 25, 2009 by A. Wittenberg, in the "In-Use" section of the review, says this at the end of that section:

"I have begun to see music being released on BlueRay discs, so I think hi-rez, multi-channel music will survive". "Producers will have their choice of DVD-A (where most of the popular music seems to be), SACD (classical music seems to favor this format), and BlueRay".

Well GEEE!, don't you think it SHOULD survive? LOW-rez, generally irritating sound from CDs succeeded spectacularly from 1983 till now with billions and billions of CDs sold. Buyers didn't fight hard to get a hand-crank after the electric starter appeared on cars, and the demand for wringer-washers is at historic lows. BUT DVD-A and SACD were the best kept secrets in the history of home audio for YEARS. I never saw even one ad in a newspaper or on TV until I stumbled upon the formats around 2005. I even asked the salespeople at The Good Guys audio store one time around 2002 what this SACD means on a player they had. I was told it doesn't do anything! They didn't want me to buy it. (You remember The Good Guys, they are GWTW). "No, we prefer to sell low rez CDs, with declining sales, over something that sounds spectacular" said the record companies. It is one of the most bizarre stories in technology marketing, or lack thereof, ever, in my opinion. And this after 50 years of "hi-fidelity" with fans willing to sell their mothers into slavery to get a little improvement in sound quality.

Read some of the reviews. They are interesting and every last one of them just raves about the BDP-83! It's about like getting a new Testa-Rosa for $24,000.

Quote:

I haven't set up the BD test disc in the shopping cart. If anyone is desperate for it...I have some and will make them available to readers of this list if you write to me through the web site or call.

post #299 of 595 Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

WRT Aix and other DVD-As, see the review there from Soundstageav.com, dated July 1, 2009. Paragraph #14 of it reads:

"Elsewhere you'll see reports that the BDP-83 either doesn't play or has trouble playing DVD-As. First, some initial editions of the manual stated that it doesn't, because originally, that's what Oppo had planned. Second, the player occasionally gets finiky when it has played a DVD-Video or BlueRay disc just before a DVD-A. In that case, if you load a DVD-A, turn off the machine, then turn it back on, the DVD-A will usually work fine". ... "Oppos representatives state that any problems with DVD-A playback "have been largely resolved with the latest public beta version of the firmware"

SO, if you get a machine with that latest firmware version you should have no issues with playing DVD-As. That is my reason for waiting a while to order my 83. I hate firmware upgrades and hope I get one with the latest-or at least this- firmware. (I've always wondered how long it takes for a firmware upgrade to start appearing on machines sold to the public). But it looks like the worst you could have to deal with, without the firmware upgrade, is turning the machine off and then back on after you load a DVD-A.

If you buy directly from OPPO right now, you will get the latest firmware, no doubt.
If you buy from Amazon.com, it's possible the firmware may need upgrading if they have stock that's more than a month old.

I don't like doing fw upgrades either, but of all the electronics I own, the BDP-83 (as well as all OPPO players) is by far,
above and beyond the easiest to upgrade x10.
It's very easy and simple to do, and it gives you 3 options... via cd, usb flash drive, or ethernet download.
If you hook you player up to your internet connection via ethernet, this is the easiest way... and when new firmware is available, the player can be set to automatically let you know that it is available.
All you have to do is initiate the upgrade, and the rest is automatic.

Upgrades are also lightning fast on the BDP-83.

You'll have to get used to doing upgrades with a Blu-ray player though. Studios like FOX and SONY are always changing their protocol for HDCP, and as a result, newer Blu-ray movies may not play correctly on any given Blu-ray player. So the OEMs like OPPO will have to issue firmware revisions to fix the issues. So firmware upgrades can be quite frequent on a Blu-ray player. Just part of all the fun I guess.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #300 of 595 Old 08-07-2009, 02:27 PM

Good to know. I'll buy my 83 directly from Oppo. Just to be sure about this, are any of you who are just now getting 83's direct from Oppo having any issue playing DVD-As? Are you, Dr. Waldrep?

And it looks like I'll have to learn how to do FW upgrades. USB seems like the way to go for me. I took notes on how to format the USB drive first once from someone on a receiver thread.

Quote:

If you buy directly from OPPO right now, you will get the latest firmware, no doubt.

I don't like doing fw upgrades either, but of all the electronics I own, the BDP-83 (as well as all OPPO players) is by far,
above and beyond the easiest to upgrade x10.

It's very easy and simple to do, and it gives you 3 options... via cd, usb flash drive, or ethernet download.
Upgrades are also lightning fast on the BDP-83.

You'll have to get used to doing upgrades with a Blu-ray player though. Studios like FOX and SONY are always changing their protocol for HDCP, and as a result, newer Blu-ray movies may not play correctly on any given Blu-ray player. So the OEMs like OPPO will have to issue firmware revisions to fix the issues. So firmware upgrades can be quite frequent on a Blu-ray player. Just part of all the fun I guess.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page