post #361 of 595 Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

I apologize for the delay in getting new stuff out. Our bandwidth is very limited (basically my own time has been cut way down because of two other full time jobs...teaching and working for Yoostar Entertainment Group).

The Albert Lee Collectors Edition will be a fully flushed out, two-disc set with lots of bonus materials etc. The Blu-Ray version (and all of the Blu-Ray versions) will be very basic...the HD Video with multiple audio streams/mixes.

How will the audio compare between the Blu-ray and DVDA?
Will they be equal, just on Blu-ray instead of DVDA... or will the audio sound better on the Blu-ray?
TIA

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 595 Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The audio on the BD discs will include 7.1 "stage" and "audience" mixes as well as 5.1 "stage" and "audience" mixes AND the 96 kHz/24-bit stereo mixes in PCM. We will be using Dolby TrueHD AND DTS HD MA encoding.

The Collectors Edition will have two discs (A DualDisc and a double sided DVD-V disc)...it is $50 because of the exhaustive inclusion of all things Albert Lee (compare this to people that are willing to spend $50 on Reference Recordings in HRx format or $30 for a piece of vinyl!?).

The BD stuff will be very basic by comparison.
post #363 of 595 Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Mark.
When you see and hear everything that goes into some of these recordings, and the outstanding quality, I do not disagree that a set like the Lee set is worth $50.
Just that the price in general is hard to handle for fans on a budget.
The prices of HR audio has been one of the nails in the DVDA/SACD format's coffin.
...among other things of course.

Something like an AIX SALE would be nice.
Like a buy 2 get 1 free or similar.
AIX has the buy 2 get a free sampler promo, but just how many copies of the same sampler can a guy use?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #364 of 595 Old 12-06-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I've been traveling for the past couple of weeks and have only now gotten back in the saddle. I was invited by the InterBEE (International Broadcast Equipment Exhibition) for speak on a panel with Morten Lindberg of 2L and a couple of Japanese representatives. It was very illuminating...makes me very sensitive to the 5.1 surround possibilities in living spaces that aren't very conducive.

I'm almost finished with the first BD disc from AIX Records. It will be Pachelbel Canon Acoustica...similar in tone to the Moonlight Acoustica released a couple of years ago. Stay tuned.

Also, I have initiated a plan to create 5-6 more BD discs over the next several months. It's hard to get caught up but I think we have a plan that will work.

I have released the first AIX Records CD. It's a tribute record for Eric Lowen, who tragically was diagnosed with ALS almost 5 years ago. He's stopped performing and is very restricted in his activities but he's very excited by the album. Jackson Browne, Keb' Mo', Severin Browne, The Bangles, Freebo and others perform tunes written by Eric and Dan Navarro. I didn't record it but had to make it available because it's for a great cause. Stop by the AIX site for more information. The money is being donated to Eric and his family as well as two ALS related charities. It's worth and look and makes a great stocking stuffer.

I will issue a newsletter with an AIX Records special deal for the holidays. I thought I could get to it today...but too much other stuff to do.
post #365 of 595 Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Dr AIX,

Thanks for filling me in on the state of HD audio formats in the thread I started. Most of the news was not encouraging but your post did inform me of your label. I'll definitely be checking it out. No complaints here about a little promotion of the label. I'm going nuts looking for good content and appreciate any lead.
post #366 of 595 Old 12-08-2009, 01:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I will issue a newsletter with an AIX Records special deal for the holidays. I thought I could get to it today...but too much other stuff to do.

Yesterday I received my annual Christmas order from AIX (Nitty Gritty Surround and Afro-Cuban Jazz this year) -- but I might be tempted to pick up a couple more if there's a deal to be had.

Please keep the quality material coming (along with those "stage" mixes!) My wife and I are big fans of the Brand New Opry and Hanna-McEwen discs, and also the acoustic guitar discs like those by Laurence Juber and Dorian Michael. Calamari is excellent as well. We have a few more but those are our favorites.

I'm more impressed by audio than video and as such have not gone BluRay yet -- but if if AIX understandably chooses to drop DVD-A for BluRay, that will probably be the thing that'll cause me to go Blu.

Keep up the great work,

Mark Z
post #367 of 595 Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mark, kind of interesting that you don't associate hi res audio with Blu-ray.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #368 of 595 Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Mark, kind of interesting that you don't associate hi res audio with Blu-ray.

I didn't mean to imply that... what I meant is that DVD-Audio fully satisfies my desire for hi-res surround music, and having video to go with it doesn't matter much to me. So I'm not inclined to drop a bunch of money on a new Blu-Ray capable universal player to add a video capability I don't care about. As BR-only releases pile up, I'll probably have to upgrade just to get the audio I'm after. So it goes...

Mark Z
post #369 of 595 Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Getting an Oppo BDP-83 player will handle all optical formats and is on about $500... a real bargain for such a feature laden player.

AIX Records will continue to produce DVD-Audio/Video discs. There are simply too many players in homes and lots and lots of automobiles with DVD-Audio systems (we just provided thousands of discs to Porsche for the new Panamera coupe). But the move to BD is welcome as well for those that want to see the images and have access to 7.1 lossless audio mixes.
post #370 of 595 Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. Aix View Post

getting an oppo bdp-83 player will handle all optical formats and is on about $500... A real bargain for such a feature laden player.

Aix records will continue to produce dvd-audio/video discs. There are simply too many players in homes and lots and lots of automobiles with dvd-audio systems (we just provided thousands of discs to porsche for the new panamera coupe). But the move to bd is welcome as well for those that want to see the images and have access to 7.1 lossless audio mixes.

:d:d:d:d

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #371 of 595 Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In my ideal world, DVA, SACD, BD all live in harmony. At least they do in MY house.

Mr. Waldrep, what's the ETA on the Acoutica BD release?
Can't wait.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #372 of 595 Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In my ideal world, DVA, SACD, BD all live in harmony. At least they do in MY house.

My house too!

'Bout time to get out the "Surrounded by Christmas" DVD-A. We're hosting again this year, and last time (3 years ago) I got many favorable comments from family members. One of my favorites too, out of the 10 or so AIX recordings that I have.
post #373 of 595 Old 12-10-2009, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

It's Christmas time and the Surround by Christmas DVD-A/V is among my favorites as well. The musicians in that ensemble, headed by Laurence Juber and Jim Cox, did an incredible job breathing life into Christmas standards. Their playing and the sonics of the HD Surround mix combine to make something really special.

The Acoustica BD disc is in prototyping and is also finished. We're doing something unique on this disc...by making it a BD-50 (two layers twice the space). I want to have both 7.1 and 5.1 surround mixes in both stage and audience perspectives WITH the HD Video. It means putting the video on the disc twice! (There never seems to be enough bandwidth or space!). So it's a little more challenging and has take a little extra time.

I think it will be available just after the first of the year.
post #374 of 595 Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post

My house too!

'Bout time to get out the "Surrounded by Christmas" DVD-A. We're hosting again this year, and last time (3 years ago) I got many favorable comments from family members. One of my favorites too, out of the 10 or so AIX recordings that I have.

Just listened to that one this week, highly recommended for this time of year. I wouldn't mind them doing another Christmas dvd-audio as it's my favorite surround christmas album out of the various one's I own. Would love to see Dr. AIX assemble the bluegrass artists to do one as well.
post #375 of 595 Old 01-03-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

I think the idea of a Bluegrass Christmas project would be a great idea...I will definitely think about it.

We do have the Pachelbel Canon Acoustica project nearing completion...on DVD-Audio/Video and BD disc. A portion of the project is available on the Oppo Calibration/Sampler disc and interest has been very high. If you know about the Moonlight Acoustica project from a couple of years ago, this is the same guys doing a treatment of the famous classical piece.

Looking forward to a great 2010...Happy New Year to everyone.
post #376 of 595 Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looking forward to the release of the Acoustica album.
I'll be buying as soon as it's available.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #377 of 595 Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Dr>Waldrep, I have bought 8 of the Aix Records and enjoy them very much and will buy more when the credit card allows. I also enjoy vinyl and last night while listening to 16/44 CDs then going to vinyl , there is a warmth that is there with vinyl and not there with 16/44 CD. For an expirement have you had any of the 24/96 stereo Aix mixes put on vinyl? I wonder what Sterphile's Fremer would say?
post #378 of 595 Old 01-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Dr. Waldrep- No doubt you heard from the CES show in Vegas just ended that current AVRs are not up to handling 3D video. They don't have enough bandwidth. The work-around will be for 3D players to have TWO HDMI out: one to send all the hi-rez 7.1 lossless AUDIO to the AVR (the newest AVRs can handle THAT, of course) and a seperate HDMI out to send the 3D VIDEO directly to the 3D displays.
That is going to mean that players like the Oppo BP-83, when they come out as 3D-capable players, will have to have 2 HDMI out. Either that or the AVR makers are going to have to increase the video bandwidth capability of their AVRs. Obviously, Oppo can't assume everybody is going to replace their low video-bandwidth AVR overnight, so they will HAVE to provide two HDMI out, one for audio and one for 3D video. Man, does THAT little issue cry out for some cooperation between the player makers and the AVR makers, and right away.
The upshot is that peons like me will now have to wait for this to be resolved somehow before I buy anything like the Oppo 83 player OR a new big-screen OR a new AVR. I was just about to buy all three! GEEZ! I sure hope they are all working day and night in Tokyo and Taiwan to get everything compatible for 3D.
The player makers like Oppo and all the AVR makers and all the display makers surely did not need any consumers holding back for 3D right now, but, as I say, the peons among consumers, like me, surely will now.
And while this issue costs them all a LOT of sales until 3D shows up, the 3D content, when 3D gets here, will be skimpy for sure for quite a while. A few old movies like House of Wax and Dial M for Murder, a new movie or two like Avatar, and I guess live sports in 3D will be about it. Maybe some geniuses can develop a way to make old 2D movies into 3D ones. There will sure be a market for that, if it can be done.
I find this whole thing depressing. It impacts AIX if people willing to buy an Oppo-83 because it plays DVD-As and is everything else (except 3D video disks) now hold back waiting for a 3D version.

Quote:

Looking forward to the release of the Acoustica album.
I'll be buying as soon as it's available.

post #379 of 595 Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughtful question. Let me see if I can respond with an equally thoughtful reply.

First, let me state right out front that I have an extensive vinyl collection, which I acquired over decades of being a music addict and audiophile. I enjoyed my vinyl throughout my teenage years, on through my university years (which lasted for 23 years!) and on into the 90's.

However, I do not currently have a turntable and have no plans to purchase one. I'm completely finished with the hassle, the constant alignment that's required, the care required of vinyl and limitations of that format. Music played from vinyl just doesn't produce a sound that I want to listen..not since I've been producing and listening to music recorded in real High Definition and mixed in 5.1 surround.

Every recording format has imperfections and benefits...it's simply up to each individual producer and listener to decide which mixture of those things they find pleasing and to their taste. If you want a "warm" sound with "good" distortion, speed inaccuracies, groove deformation and ticks and pops...then vinyl is the right choice. However, as good as it can be (even with a $160K turntable etc)...vinyl cannot deliver the fidelity that I've come to expect from a recording.

A high definition PCM (not DSD!) recording production presents a sound that is closer to the feed from the microphones than an analog tape or vinyl disc. I certainly would have no problem if someone wanted to license my HD tracks for distribution on vinyl...but it is not interesting to me. Why dumb down the sound? I like the clarity and crispness that HD PCM digital provides.
post #380 of 595 Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Pachelbel Canon Acoustica, oh how I long for thee.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #381 of 595 Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

It's going to be the first one out of the gate...not too much longer. Trouble with the THD encoding...but it's fixed now.
post #382 of 595 Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Anyone have a problem ordering from AIX online? I got an error saying something like "invalid or nonexistant merchant" or something like that.

I sent an e-mail to AIX and am waiting to find out what happened.

post #383 of 595 Old 01-30-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Albert Lee - Tearing It Up has been showing as "coming soon" since I was a small child. What's up with that?
post #384 of 595 Old 01-30-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Albert Lee - Tearing It Up has been showing as "coming soon" since I was a small child. What's up with that?

I've noticed that too. I suppose it's still good that we are able to get awesome high res audio to listen too in the first place, and as long as the ordering process still works, not too much to complain about.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #385 of 595 Old 01-30-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Anyone have a problem ordering from AIX online? I got an error saying something like "invalid or nonexistant merchant" or something like that.

I sent an e-mail to AIX and am waiting to find out what happened.

I received a response from AIX saying that they received my order request but something may have happened when the system tried to process my credit card. They will look into it and call me if there are any problems.

post #386 of 595 Old 01-31-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hey group...another Sunday afternoon and some progress.

I can't find anything wrong with the ordering system or credit card processing...I just purchased one of my own discs with an AMEX card and it went through without any problems. I've had lots of other transactions over the weekend and no one have written with any difficulties. Of course, you can always call me (use the 800 number if you're in the U.S.).

Albert Lee is still coming. I've finally finished the last piece of video assembly for Lisbeth Scott, so expect that one to be buttoned up and replicated within the next 3-4 weeks. As for Albert, I've spent some time on it this weekend along with exporting the HD video for use in the upcoming BD edition.

I sincerely apologize for the years worth of delays in getting additional titles to market. As most of you know, it's my engineer, my authoring guy, my wife and myself doing everything around here...AND I have two other full time jobs. There's always plenty to do. But we're closing in on a few more BD titles. So continue to be patient.

I'm also planning three days of new recordings in June...with some well know artists. I cannot say who just yet but I'm quite excited about it.
post #387 of 595 Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I received a response from AIX saying that they received my order request but something may have happened when the system tried to process my credit card. They will look into it and call me if there are any problems.

For some reason my credit card info never went through. So a quick phone call took care of it and my disc is on it's way.

Quote:

Hey group...another Sunday afternoon and some progress.

I can't find anything wrong with the ordering system or credit card processing...I just purchased one of my own discs with an AMEX card and it went through without any problems. I've had lots of other transactions over the weekend and no one have written with any difficulties. Of course, you can always call me (use the 800 number if you're in the U.S.).

I guess it was just my "lucky" day when I tried to order. What threw me off was the message I got (from PayPal?) when I tried to place the order ("invalid or non existant merchant").

Anyway, after an e-mail and a phone call it was resolved.

Thanks!

post #388 of 595 Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Dr AIX, if I might ask, what is the latest on the possible release of the Nikki Gilbert disk?

Frank, "Still the one"
post #389 of 595 Old 02-07-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Super Bowl Sunday...especially to all my friends buried up to their necks in snow back east. It rained here yesterday during my morning 12 mile run (yes, I'm training for the LA marathon on my birthday an about a month!)...but that's nothing compared to 20 plus inches of snow.

A couple of notes and answers. I've just finished an article on the iTrax.com web site about the latest edition to our HD Surround download site. The good folks at Zenph Sound Innovations selected iTrax.com as the web-based outlet for their "Rachmaninoff Plays Rachmaninoff" re-performance recording. It turns out that Sony Masterworks has abandoned SACD and didn't want to issue anything but the CD version. So the head of the company asked if I would like to include it on iTrax.com. Of course, I jumped at the chance. You can download 5.0 tracks at 88.2 kHz/24-bits and author them onto a DVD-Audio disc. It blows the CD version away...and that one has gotten some rave reviews from Stereophile and TAS.

I'm making headway on completing the first couple of BD discs (Pachelbel is very close and Chamber Music Palisades is right behind). I'm also planning versions of Albert Lee, Lisbeth Scott, Ernest Ranglin and John Gorka in BD...but it's lots of work and expensive. I do believe that it's worth it...the picture and sound together are actually HD.

We had a record release party here the other night to celebrate the tribute record that a bunch of artist did in honor of Lowen & Navarro. It's a CD and I didn't record it but Eric Lowen and Dan Navarro have done a couple of things with us. Tragically, Eric was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) over 5 years ago and has now retired from performing and recording....but a bunch of great artists recorded some of the best L&N songs and I agreed to put it out.

The artists include Jackson Browne and his brother Severin Browne, The Bangles, Keb' Mo', Freebo, Eddie From Ohio, The Refugees and lots of others. Jackson, Severin and all of the ladies from the Bangles made it to the party! Eric was absolutely thrilled! It was a really special night. I showed off the studio and some of our projects to the celebrities. I definitely got their attention.

As for Nicci Gilbert...I've directed Dominic (my associate engineer) to put a focus on Nicci as our next production. It will still take some months...but so it goes.

Have a great football day! I may see some of the end...once I get done here.
post #390 of 595 Old 03-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Dr. AIX, I had a question about how you mix the surround channels on your 5.1/7.1 discs:

Do you consider how the surround channels will sound on systems with dipole surround speakers? I use four Paradigm Signature ADPv1s as my surround channels, and I think your discs sound fantastic. However, I assume that you mix with the intent that identical direct radiators are used for all 5-7 channels?

I notice that with my dipoles, musicians placed on the surround channels sound more 'orchestral', i.e. a violin player sounds more like the string section of an orchestra than one musician. This effect can be beneficial for certain instruments, but would be a little weird for say a harmonica or banjo.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this matter.
Thanks!

EDIT-Although I now own a universal player (Oppo), I probably won't buy any of your DVD-A discs. I'm anxiously awaiting the Blu-ray releases!
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page