Special AVS Deal From AIX Records - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 595 Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I put together the summer newsletter from AIX Records yesterday and let readers know about a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" deal. You can get the details at the SPECIALS section of the site.

I'm writing a lot at the iTrax.com Community/Front Page about issues of interest to this group. If you want to stop by, it would be much appreciated.

I'll post the full newsletter on the AIX Records site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 595 Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Liked: 10
High Resolution Audio format promises from Neil Young.

http://www.neilyoung.com/messagepage.html

Anyone have any details ?

KC
post #453 of 595 Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Dr. Aix,

Some time back I purchased your BD of John Gorka's The Gypsy Life. It was, and still is, the singular best upgrade I have ever done to my system. No video source has ever looked better on my Panny plasma, and no audio source has ever sounded better...

Until...

I recently added two more surround speakers to bring my system up to 7.1. Of course I reached for the marvelous AIX Records Audio Calibration & HD Music Sampler disc to tweak my new toy.

After I completed my tweaking, I decided that first I would listen to something familiar - just to make certain that I hadn't degraded my 5.1 performance. Since Gorka's Mercy Of The Wheels is on the disc I started there.

Much to my surprise, my AVR lit up with Dolby TrueHD 7.1! This is the new standard for excellence in my system.

What would it take to get the entire The Gypsy Life disc reissued in 7.1? I would be more than willing to pay a hefty markup to get the entire album in 7.1 - it was just so amazing. How much groveling would I need to do to make this happen?

And while I'm begging, are we going to see Lisbeth Scott's Charmed on BD anytime soon? In 7.1?

Thank you Dr. Aix for once again blowing my mind!

Jim Hall
Until there are NONE, please adopt ONE - http://www.petfinder.com
post #454 of 595 Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Jim, you've made my day...and put considerable pressure on me to get some things done. I'm still working too hard at the game start up and I try to spend a couple of additional hours everyday (and all day Saturday and Sunday) doing the AIX thing.

I must admit, that I'm with you on the 7.1 aggressive mixes...the extra speakers do allow some additional details to be put in the mixes. My difficulty is the upgrade that happened on my console about 18 months ago. What might have been as simple as pulling up the old mixes and updating them cannot happen because the old mixes cannot be brought up on the new console system. Argh.

I just don't see the trade off being worth the time it would take. It's a fair question whether Blu-ray music discs of the sort we produce will even take off at all. Remember AIX Records makes something that only a few people actually care about...and I'm grateful that you and others do.

If only I had the resources to get everyone to experience recordings made this way...and the money, clout to get the biggest artists interested.

I'll certainly keep you pitch in mind...

Thanks again and enjoy.
post #455 of 595 Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I cannot say with any authority what Neil is referring to in his notice...but I couldn't help noticing that HD Tracks is pushing hard their new alliance with Warner Brothers Records. They state that WB has been archiving their catalog at 192 and 96 kHz/24-bits and that "You are going to be astonished when you hear how clear these sound as HDtracks downloads, exposing previously unheard space, depth and tonal purity."

Just remember that the originals were all recorded in standard definition, analog audio on 24-track tape machines that are decidedly less than 192/96 kHz/24-bits or its equivalent. I wrote an article on the the front page of the iTrax.com Community Forum about why analog tape can never be consider "high resolution". IMHO, this is another example of marketing hype and as such only confuses and disappoints customers who are actually looking for the real thing.

Yes, they sound as good as the master tapes...which sadly don't sound anything like a good contemporary, HD recording. Another case of buyer beware.
post #456 of 595 Old 07-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Dr. Waldrep, will you be doing more releases on BluRay which were shot in HD and first release on DVD Audio/Video. Several of the DVDs that I have look very good when upscaled to 1080 from Blu Ray to HD set. If they were shot in HD like the Ernest Raglin DVD or the Chamber Music Pallasides DVD they look excellent. Ones that were not shot in HD like Richards/Polcaro DVD do not have any real improvement from the upscaling. Also, with DVD you must choose between video or Hi -Rez audio which you dont have to do with BluRay.
Thanks
post #457 of 595 Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, my hope is to continue to issue Blu-ray titles with HD video AND Dolby TrueHD in 5.1 (two mixes) and 96/24 PCM stereo. From the post above it seems there is interest in 7.1 mixes and I've been encouraged by Dolby to move in that direction. It seems there is a sufficient market for 7.1 mixes.

I'm nearing completion of the next Blu-ray title, the Old City String Quartet playing Mozart (which is also a 3D Music Album). It will not have the 7.1 mixes. The Albert Lee Blu-ray title will also be just 5.1.

Ernest Ranglin is on the list too.
post #458 of 595 Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Dr. AIX was that you who I meet at the Axpona show in NYC? I was quite taken with the natural sounds from the modest sets of Thiels speakers, and the 3D Blu Ray musical compilation was very intriguing, I'm not really into the whole 3D thing but that was something else.

I really enjoy myself there, until I lost my cell Thanks for the card I'll be checking out your site in the near future.

Djoel
post #459 of 595 Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Dr. AIX is my super hero name! It really was a good sounding system in NY, wasn't it. I was impressed that the Theil's were completely able to handle the dynamic range, tonal variations and neutrality of our purist recordings and be so affordable!

The whole 3D thing is much more than a gimmick as some people claim, but the argument is not worth having because my products are music first and video second. I am honestly surprised that a lot of people (especially musicians) like to watch the video...after all I do try to that private concert vibe as I've said.

But at the end of the day a dark room, a glass of wine and John Gorka and band singing and playing just for me works wonders.

I'm headed off to Nashville next week to meetings with Naxos...looks like we're going to do a deal with them for distribution in North America. Looking forward to it. Thanks for coming by and please consider becoming a registered member of our iTrax.com community. I write a lot there.
post #460 of 595 Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

Yes, Dr. AIX is my super hero name! It really was a good sounding system in NY, wasn't it. I was impressed that the Theil's were completely able to handle the dynamic range, tonal variations and neutrality of our purist recordings and be so affordable!

The whole 3D thing is much more than a gimmick as some people claim, but the argument is not worth having because my products are music first and video second. I am honestly surprised that a lot of people (especially musicians) like to watch the video...after all I do try to that private concert vibe as I've said.

But at the end of the day a dark room, a glass of wine and John Gorka and band singing and playing just for me works wonders.

I'm headed off to Nashville next week to meetings with Naxos...looks like we're going to do a deal with them for distribution in North America. Looking forward to it. Thanks for coming by and please consider becoming a registered member of our iTrax.com community. I write a lot there.

I had a blast, and didn't really wanted to leave but it would have looked a bit strange me there in the dark with a pair of silly glasses and a huge grin
Agree fully the Theils just sounded clean and unrestrained and quite commanding with just 2 drivers, sure there where a few subs, but never tubby or overbearing. All in all I left craving to get that sound at home, simply amazing.

I wish I can check out the Nashville show too, and become one of those people who follow bands around as a full time job, and never ever shower. I'll just register to the above site, and purchased some of your fine music.

Thanks

Daniel
post #461 of 595 Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Naxos multichannel lossless coming to itrax???

(ps, what Thiels were you using for that demo?)

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #462 of 595 Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

(ps, what Thiels were you using for that demo?)

Thiel SCS4T

DJOel
post #463 of 595 Old 07-09-2011, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Thiel SCS4T

DJOel

;-)

post #464 of 595 Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

So it really begs the question for me...is it preferable to set up a room like we had in Atlanta or New York?

In Atlanta, the value of the equipment used in the playback of my 3D Music Albums was near $300,000...it included mono blocks and preamps from Boulder, the top of the line 800D speakers from B&W in addition to the Oppo, DH Labs Cables and JVC 3D Projector. Of course, we encoded all of the tracks using Dolby TrueHD.

In New York, the value of the equipment was a tenth of that...or around $30,000. Instead of B&W and Boulder, we had Thiel and Power Modules along with a multichannel preamp by Bryston.

As a provider of high end recordings, I naturally like to experience my stuff on the best equipment. I've even gone back in the evening to a room like that and sat for hours listening to my tracks. However, it might be more meaningful to hear the tracks on a system that is within reach of the average audiophile.

What do you think? Go for the best of the best or keep it on a human level? I'd love to know because we'll definitely be doing another AXPONA or demo somewhere.
post #465 of 595 Old 07-11-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it really begs the question for me...is it preferable to set up a room like we had in Atlanta or New York?

In Atlanta, the value of the equipment used in the playback of my 3D Music Albums was near $300,000...it included mono blocks and preamps from Boulder, the top of the line 800D speakers from B&W in addition to the Oppo, DH Labs Cables and JVC 3D Projector. Of course, we encoded all of the tracks using Dolby TrueHD.

In New York, the value of the equipment was a tenth of that...or around $30,000. Instead of B&W and Boulder, we had Thiel and Power Modules along with a multichannel preamp by Bryston.

As a provider of high end recordings, I naturally like to experience my stuff on the best equipment. I've even gone back in the evening to a room like that and sat for hours listening to my tracks. However, it might be more meaningful to hear the tracks on a system that is within reach of the average audiophile.

What do you think? Go for the best of the best or keep it on a human level? I'd love to know because we'll definitely be doing another AXPONA or demo somewhere.

Funny thing is for me I tend to be attracted immediately to the super Uber systems right off the bat.That's where I feel lest comfortable though, and ask the less questions, and just sit there and listen like the proper lad that I am! Mostly because I know I would never own any of the sky high expensive components like that., maybe a piece here, a unit there but that's a FAT maybe.

It is definitely fun to hear these system when possible, and then again I'm always surprised when some exhibitions being demonstrated use down to earth speakers with approachable prices, with familiar named amps, and the source is a Play Station 1. Always a kick in the pants, so I'm of two minds here, and do enjoy the Theil which were at a descent mid cost, the amps where by belles in the NYC show which aren't cheap, but not crazy either, I own a belles 2 channel pre they make sweet stuff.

Just my 2 cents

Djoel
post #466 of 595 Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dr. Aix, your music is the best.

Simple question. You produced music on DVD-A, download, and Blu Ray. Assuming "good" equipment, can all three formats generate great sound?

I know the DAC and or player makes a big difference.

I love the Guitar Noir. It is a demo piece. Lowen and Navarro--- what can I say... the music and the story...
post #467 of 595 Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouraging words...your favorites are a couple of mine too!

There are some refinements that should be pointed out in your post. We have released our HD music tracks on DVD-Audio/Video, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D and as uncompressed 96 khz/24-bit downloadable files (at itrax.com).

We always produce our stuff the same way. During the original sessions we capture the music/singing at 96 kHz/24-bit PCM without any processing. We mix these native HD tracks to 5.1 surround and 2.0 channel stereo and then author them to one of the formats listed above.

This differs from many other so-called HD providers in that the original sessions are captured in HD. There are some rave reviews about the re-release of Rush's Moving Pictures on Blu-ray as being a model for an HD release. The fidelity of the tracks on this recording were made on analog tape, which is decidedly not an HD recording medium. So how could a transfer to Blu-ray at 96/24 suddenly make the sound better than the specs of the original track...it can't.

We need record companies to state the production path of their "so-called" HD releases. That's the only way to know what to expect in terms of fidelity. I've written at length about this on the front page of the Community forum at iTrax.com.

You won't know how good real HD music can sound until you actually hear it...and as much as I love Rush, it's not a good example of HD audio.
post #468 of 595 Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

...and as much as I love Rush, it's not a good example of HD audio.

Agreed. Have you heard any of the DVDA from Porcupine Tree? Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet I find exemplary...

Chris
post #469 of 595 Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

This differs from many other so-called HD providers in that the original sessions are captured in HD. There are some rave reviews about the re-release of Rush's Moving Pictures on Blu-ray as being a model for an HD release. The fidelity of the tracks on this recording were made on analog tape, which is decidedly not an HD recording medium. So how could a transfer to Blu-ray at 96/24 suddenly make the sound better than the specs of the original track...it can't.

We need record companies to state the production path of their "so-called" HD releases. That's the only way to know what to expect in terms of fidelity. I've written at length about this on the front page of the Community forum at iTrax.com.

You won't know how good real HD music can sound until you actually hear it...and as much as I love Rush, it's not a good example of HD audio.

yep. i just don't get it. i was really excited about the moving pictures bluray...especially after reading some of the feedback on it. but it's just not that good. it's not terrible but i couldn't grade it higher than a C+ for sure.
post #470 of 595 Old 07-16-2011, 04:39 AM

Liked: 12
You're talking about two different things here. With new music you can control the production from start to finish. A re-release, you are stuck working with whatever medium was used at the time. If the industry has decided 96/24 is HD, then in both cases you have ended up with a HD recording. It's like the movie industry's use of 3D. They can shoot a movie using 3D cameras or use 2D cameras and convert the movie to 3D with software. With HD audio and 3D videos, the quality is all over the board. The consumer needs to remember that these are just labels, not guarantees.
post #471 of 595 Old 07-18-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

You make my point exactly, the industry or music producers have not agreed on a meaningful definition of HD audio like the video people have. An old recording put into a 96/24 bucket cannot/should not be called an HD track because it cannot meet the standards of the new productions.

It's just about being transparent about the production path of a particular track.
post #472 of 595 Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Subscribed

Met the doctor a few years ago demoing his products with a custom mix for Dolby height channels at an Audioholics show in Clearwater Beach.

Jeff
post #473 of 595 Old 07-24-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
You make my point exactly, the industry or music producers have not agreed on a meaningful definition of HD audio like the video people have. An old recording put into a 96/24 bucket cannot/should not be called an HD track because it cannot meet the standards of the new productions.

It's just about being transparent about the production path of a particular track.

My definition of Hi-Def audio is anything that sounds better than CD's. CD's in my opinion was a big step back in the world of audio. Vinyl with all it's problems sounds better than CD's, master tapes, old software re-recorded at 192/24 mostly sounds better than CD's I appreciate what you you do for the industry Dr Aix and I have several of your releases, but in my opinion we should all be working together to advance audio and better quality audio than fighting amongst ourselves. I have several HD Tracks that I find are a vast improvement over the rbcd and also a vast improvement over the original album. For that I applaud them and will continue to buy from them as I will from you.
post #474 of 595 Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Tom,

I have always agreed that everyone will have their own preferences and tastes when it comes to the delivered sound. My push is for reviewers, record labels and pundits to agree on a set of reasonable definitions.

When you state that something sounds better than CD and therefor is HD, that's a very soft interpretation for these purposes. If you say a great looking print of Citizen Kane playing on your standard NTSC TV would that qualify as HD. It could according to your definition.

I take standards more rigorously than that. I'm on the CEA Audio Board and 3D TV Working Group...we haggle over definitions all the time. But what is interesting about these discussions is that their is no emotion.

Many interpret HD Audio as a relative comparison to CDs (although this is not appropriate as CD can sound very good...better even than vinyl or tape!)...in this case something is "better than" rather than having a spec that actually means something like what I propose.
If a track is recorded using HD equipment at the time of the original session than it can be fully dynamic and extend to the actual frequency response. If it was recorded on analog tape, then it fails the HD test because there is compromised dynamics and limited frequency response. It can sound better but it will always remain SD no matter what container it is sold in.

Companies should included the provenance of a particular track...I believe it will benefit everyone in the market.
post #475 of 595 Old 07-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

Companies should included the provenance of a particular track...I believe it will benefit everyone in the market.

... everyone who is proud of the lineage.
post #476 of 595 Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Dr Aix, I appreciate the reply, while I agree with you that there should be standards, I suspect that you get the most resistance trying to group a medium above or below a another, because then it becomes subjective. Right now I believe we are beginning a resurgence in the interest of high fidelity and higher quality audio which really hasn't been seen since before the CD. It is companies like yours, HD Tracks and others that are fueling this resurgence. Not only do I applaud this resurgence, I'd like to encourage it.

I have listened to absolutely horrible 24bit live recordings, but also I have heard better than CD quality master tape "192/24" recordings with much better sound and dynamics than the original RBCD. To put them in a "SD" category would not only not do them justice, but also may hurt this "HD" resurgence we are enjoying.

I have also recently listened to a well put together vinyl set up and while noisy as heck, there was a quality to it that I missed in CD's, after getting through all the work, noise and pops there was much more airy feel to sound stage and as much as I wanted to resist enjoying vinyl, I found myself more immersed than I do with CD's, on par with DVD-a and SACD's multi channel or stereo. Given the choice, DVD-A/SACD, pure 192/24 digital recording would far preferable to an album, however an album to me is far more enjoyable over a CD. That's why I rate it as an HD format.

With audio being so subjective, I don't think you can apply the same kind of rating system as you can with video. a tiered system may work, maybe like CD's you can use "analog to digital HD" or "pure digital HD"

Anyway, I applaud what you and others are doing for the industry. I hope it continues and brings back the days when audio was a fun and enjoyable hobby and not just a digital medium.
post #477 of 595 Old 07-25-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think this would be ideal and is one of the things that bothers me about some of the offerings on HDTracks, and that I like about some of the audiophile lp reissues.

If we don't like to call a high rez transcription of a master analog tape "HD" I also think we can't call it "SD" since it can clearly sound better than a CD of the same material (which I think is the standard for "SD"). Maybe we call it "high rez"? I don't know, but it is better than SD and should be differentiated.

post #478 of 595 Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Dr. Waldrep, would you ever have any of your 24/96 stereo PCM mixes released on vinyl. Maybe by Acoustic Sounds, Mobile Filedity or other vinyl providers.
Also, would Dolby ever expirement with using Dplby Pro Logic 2 with your surround mixes on vinyl?
Is summer sale still on ,looking to purchase more soon/
post #479 of 595 Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Tom, thanks for the comments. I do understand the attachment that individuals have to the various formats for delivering audio. It's very hard to have "upgrade" conversations with people that have invested time and money in a system in their system be it vinyl, CD, analog tape or HD Digital. My point is about realizing the maximum potential of each format and recognizing that "when done right" there are very real levels of performance that can be assigned to each generation of equipment. When I see a list of "fidelity potential" on another web site that places analog at the top and states that HD Digital "almost approaches the sound of analog", I have to wonder what the person has been listening to...PCM HD Digital has the "potential" to produce better and more accurate dynamics and frequency reproduction than any other format. Sure, there have been disasters released in so-called "HD" or 24-bits but likewise there have been great sounding vinyl releases. It's about the quality of the sound that each of us prefers...and many like the euphonious nature of vinyl. I'm all about giving people the right to choose. Just don't tell me that a 1950's track transferred to HD PCM Digital is going to output the same quality as a new HD PCM recording.

Nathan...I would be careful about calling an older master transferred to HD as anything other than SD. Forget about whether a CD can sound incredible or not. The dynamic range and frequency response of the older master will never exceed 50-60 dB and 16-20 kHz...not to mention the other problems of analog masters. When I read that a particular producer sticks with analog as their format of choice I had to assume that like the sound of analog tape...no argument. But don't then go ahead after a transfer to 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Digital and tell me that the fidelity is anything but SD...the dynamic range of tape doesn't exceed 12-13 bits.

mgpt6 - I have actually considered putting out "analog" transfers of my stuff. Is there a market for vinyl...apparently yes. Is it big enough for someone to license our tracks and distribute the tracks. I'm not so sure. What I can do and would be willing to do is to transfer one of our recordings to 1/4" analog tape on my Swiss made Nagra IV-s machine and sell them to the same people that purchase tapes from The Tape Project. They get $500 per album from second and third generation copies...imagine what you could get from a 96/24 master to first generation analog tape. This is an idea that I would seriously consider. The results would be less fidelity than playing the DVD-Audio or BD from a $500 Oppo player but it might engage some tape fans. Any thoughts?
post #480 of 595 Old 08-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Just got the Pachelbel Canon Acoustica Blu ray disc. Excellent disc. Excellent video and audio. With Blu Ray get both HD video and Hi-Rez audio at same time. With older projects when watching DVD video side choose DTS audio. Hope more projects on Blu Ray come out soon
Personal choice prefer 1080P 2D video to 720P 3D. (dont have 3D set)
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page