Special AVS Deal From AIX Records - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 595 Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
At one time, AIX offered a tutorial for how to burn their files to disc... just for those legacy cases like the OP who haven't gone for a digital server setup. I can't find it now, may have been an interview in a third party publication, rather than on the AIX web site.

In any event, a tutorial about how to burn the files won't encourage piracy. If anything, putting it onto a physical disc makes piracy harder. (Much easier to "share" a digital file.)

In any event, AIX has been good about this being a general "customer service" and "communication" thread for their product -- beyond the scope of the original thread title -- so hopefully the OP will receive an answer here or offline.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 595 Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just back from the CES show and officially back at AIX Records/iTrax.com full time. As some of you may know, I've been employed during the past three years at a game start up company as their VP of Media Engineering and Production...I developed the core technology/procedures for the game about 4 years ago and then took the job. That ended on the 5th of January. I enjoyed the time, learned a lot about bigger businesses and am glad that I'm back at my studio every day doing what I love most.

Let me make a couple of comments about the discussion that's been on going on lately. In creating the new and improved version of my AIX Records web site, I encountered a lot of sites and blogs that are ripping commercial HD-Audio discs and putting them on file servers...and they're doing it to everyone's discs including mine. I wrote to a Chinese site that is actually charging money for other things that they ripped and they just laughed at me.

As most of you know, I started AIX Records over 10 years ago to demonstrate the benefits of recording and delivering HD-Audio especially in surround. I put out DVD-Audio titles and have since moved to file downloads and Blu-Ray discs. I've spent too much money that I don't have and too many hours working towards a goal that I may never achieve. The world of real HD-Audio and surround music may not survive in this world of false high definition tracks, vinyl and even analog tape. But I still thrill when I demo one of my tracks in full HD surround (like I did repeatedly in the Thiel Room at the CES) and the group turns to me and says, "why isn't everyone doing this?" Great quality audio can convert even the staunchest stereophile when they hear it (if they're open and honest).

I don't have a problem with customers downloading the 5.1 WAV files and using something like Cirlinca or Minnetonka software to make DVD-Audio discs...but if you're still playing discs, the way to go is to purchase the actual discs themselves. They are a much better bargain....with multiple mixes, videos and lots of extras.

I'm a fairly trusting individual. I like to believe that what I do is worth paying for. I know they are expensive but rarely does someone complain that they didn't get their money's worth. I take a great deal of pride in our customer service. Just today a gentleman called to discuss iTrax.com and HD downloads and I spent 45 minutes on the phone. I'm against ripping other people's property but not against making copies of things you've purchased. I hope people will respect that I need to make a return on my investment in order to make more products. If this was making me rich or even generating a profit, things might be different. Honestly, I continue because there are enough people that write of call relating their appreciation of our work that I keep on going.

To those that are looking to get something for nothing...imagine how you would feel if someone took your work and refused to pay you. Stealing or ripping music or movies is the same thing. Just because you can, doesn't make it right.
post #543 of 595 Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I had a problem with a Chinese site stealing my content. It's a simple matter of writing to their host provider and telling them to cease and desist. Send me a pm with a link to the sites and I'll get their info for you. It's simple and can be quite effective.

Any new artists coming on board for hd audio this year? I like your work, just wish there were bands and genres I was interested in. Thanks DR
post #544 of 595 Old 01-22-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I've sent DMCA notices to the hosting/file server companies with some success but the Chinese site is hosted off shore.

We're getting ramped up to do more Blu-ray releases of older DVD-Audio/Video releases and finish some of the productions that we've recorded over the past few years. These include Mark Chesnutt, Rita Coolidge, James Walker, Nicci Gilbert, Albert Lee and others. There's also some more classical stuff coming out. In fact, the next release will be the Old City String Quartet on Blu-ray...3D if you have the hardware. It's pretty impressive.
post #545 of 595 Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

I've sent DMCA notices to the hosting/file server companies with some success but the Chinese site is hosted off shore.

We're getting ramped up to do more Blu-ray releases of older DVD-Audio/Video releases and finish some of the productions that we've recorded over the past few years. These include Mark Chesnutt, Rita Coolidge, James Walker, Nicci Gilbert, Albert Lee and others. There's also some more classical stuff coming out. In fact, the next release will be the Old City String Quartet on Blu-ray...3D if you have the hardware. It's pretty impressive.

I upgraded my hardware in October.. Roughly $25k... I jumped the gun on the avr, so I'm looking to replace it with the denon 4311. What's the frame for the 3d can we pre order?
post #546 of 595 Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

AIX Records completed the first 3D Music Album in August of 2010 (the Goldberg Variations Acoustica), we have the Mozart coming in about 3-4 weeks and a sampler that is available as a BD-R right away.
post #547 of 595 Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally got to play your Bad Haggis mch DVD-a today. Very impressed, thanks.
post #548 of 595 Old 01-26-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

The Bad Haggis project is one of my favorites...who would have thought that Celtic could fuse with Latin and go electric (including electric bagpipes...don't laugh 'til you've auditioned it).

Been working on completely our next BD disc and would like to ask anyone that's interested in what you might prefer in terms of included "pre-ripped" files for servers and portable devices on the BD-ROM portion of our next releases.

It seems reasonable to me that if someone purchases one of our Blu-ray discs, that they should get access to the digital files as well. Sort of an audio Ultraviolet kind of scheme. I'm okay with this in concept. Why should you have to purchase the music again on iTrax.com and wait through the downloads. Why not include the tracks on the BD-Rom disc you already received?

However, this raises some questions. Which mixes should be included? Stereo? 5.1 Surround? Which perspective? etc. How many people have BD-ROM drives on their systems? Should these files instead be on a separate disc? This has implications for cost and packaging as well as publishing costs. Perhaps I reprogram the iTrax.com site with a free code that can be entered during checkout. Thoughts?
post #549 of 595 Old 01-26-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Bluray rom drives aren't mainstream. They are however getting cheaper. If you would like to keep cost down by not providing an additional disc, couldn't you just include some type of coupon code to download those tracks?

How would one go about playing a multi channel song digitally?
post #550 of 595 Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
With plugins, foobar2000 plays nearly every music file if you're playing from a PC.

Jeff
post #551 of 595 Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

In preparation for our upcoming demos in Jacksonville as part of the AXPONA show, I asked my engineer to set up our Oppo BDP-95 to the audio system in the studio and hook up a hard drive of HD-Audio files to it....including some 5.1 examples. I want to be able to play files AND Blu-ray 3D discs during my presentations.

The Oppo provides a terrific way to access and play downloaded surround files at audiophile fidelity thanks to the Sabre ESS DACs that are built in. In Florida, we will use HDMI to a Bryston SP3 processor (even better quality DACs) and analog electronics and then onto the 7B 600 watt mono blocks and B&W 802D speakers. This is a reasonably easy path to get our 5.1 music from the iTrax.com to your listening environment. The interface is basic but simple to use and presto...you've got surround.
post #552 of 595 Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mark,

I want all my multichannel music on my hard drive. iTrax is one of several vendors I go to for this capability. I wish I could just rip SACD and BD as I can with DVD-A. But, alas, this is not the case.

For me? FLAC or Lossless WMA. 5.1 and stage (I
'm a convert to stage perspective). I don't mind downloading, but you are right...if it was right on the disc, that would be preferable.

Marcus

Quote:

The Bad Haggis project is one of my favorites...who would have thought that Celtic could fuse with Latin and go electric (including electric bagpipes...don't laugh 'til you've auditioned it).

Been working on completely our next BD disc and would like to ask anyone that's interested in what you might prefer in terms of included "pre-ripped" files for servers and portable devices on the BD-ROM portion of our next releases.

It seems reasonable to me that if someone purchases one of our Blu-ray discs, that they should get access to the digital files as well. Sort of an audio Ultraviolet kind of scheme. I'm okay with this in concept. Why should you have to purchase the music again on iTrax.com and wait through the downloads. Why not include the tracks on the BD-Rom disc you already received?

However, this raises some questions. Which mixes should be included? Stereo? 5.1 Surround? Which perspective? etc. How many people have BD-ROM drives on their systems? Should these files instead be on a separate disc? This has implications for cost and packaging as well as publishing costs. Perhaps I reprogram the iTrax.com site with a free code that can be entered during checkout. Thoughts?

Our Personal Website:

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
post #553 of 595 Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
But...but...but, Dr. A! HDMI is the only way to have the music processed using Audyssey.

Marcus

Quote:

In preparation for our upcoming demos in Jacksonville as part of the AXPONA show, I asked my engineer to set up our Oppo BDP-95 to the audio system in the studio and hook up a hard drive of HD-Audio files to it....including some 5.1 examples. I want to be able to play files AND Blu-ray 3D discs during my presentations.

The Oppo provides a terrific way to access and play downloaded surround files at audiophile fidelity thanks to the Sabre ESS DACs that are built in. In Florida, we will use HDMI to a Bryston SP3 processor (even better quality DACs) and analog electronics and then onto the 7B 600 watt mono blocks and B&W 802D speakers. This is a reasonably easy path to get our 5.1 music from the iTrax.com to your listening environment. The interface is basic but simple to use and presto...you've got surround.

Our Personal Website:

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
post #554 of 595 Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
As a fan of the immersive "on-stage perspective", one trick I've found when playing disks that use the surrounds just for crowd sound or ambience is to switch to the stereo track, which on DVDs is often better quality anyway - PCM rather than lossy Dolby or DTS - and have the surround speakers double the fronts.

My AVR, an old Yamaha, has a mode for stereo inputs that does that, so I have the front left and front right analog cables that go to the AVR's multichannel analog input Y'ed into the "DVD" input as well (my player doesn't have a separate stereo output). I adjusted the channel trims in the player to compensate for the reduced level of the front channels caused by being plugged into two input jacks at once (-1db on each of the other channels did the trick).

When I want to switch from the multichannel mix to my stereo immersion, I just make sure that the amp is set to DVD and toggle off the Multichannel Input. (The setting to double the front signals out the sides is ignored when the multichannel input jacks are used.)

This is my "room-sized set of headphones" mode. It's good for any stereo disk, of course. The only time it doesn't work is the oddball disk where all the sound is put into the center channel, with nothing anywhere else. With a disk like that, my trick would give you a silent movie! (The Blu-ray of the restored classic The Adventures of Robin Hood is one of the only disks I've come across set up like this.)

post #555 of 595 Old 03-05-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
I had a chance to hear some more of the AIX catalog this weekend, and I've added Goldberg Variations Acoustica to my AIX acquisitions. This makes 17 AIX discs, plus I'm still waiting for the pre-ordered Mozart Blu-ray to get out the door and into my player. The stage mix really is something to hear, and the spontaneous talent of the musicians to record it all in one unrehearsed take is a wonder.

Congrats to Dr. AIX and the talented AIX All Star Band!!

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #556 of 595 Old 03-06-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

I had a chance to hear some more of the AIX catalog this weekend, and I've added Goldberg Variations Acoustica to my AIX acquisitions. This makes 17 AIX discs, plus I'm still waiting for the pre-ordered Mozart Blu-ray to get out the door and into my player. The stage mix really is something to hear, and the spontaneous talent of the musicians to record it all in one unrehearsed take is a wonder.

I purchased the Goldberg Variations Acoustica disc at the demo on Sunday and fired it up last night. Simply outstanding.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #557 of 595 Old 03-06-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks to both Dr. AIX and Señor filecat13 for hosting and coordinating the recent real HD-Audio demo. Recordings (whether file or disc) that demand real musicianship
do increase my personal involvement and enjoyment of the playback. I've already ordered more media from AIX, as their recording philosophy/choices/process results in an immersive/you-are-there sound-field that I find uniquely satisfying.
post #558 of 595 Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

I completely forgot that we were able to purchase AIX records at the tour... shucks

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #559 of 595 Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
When will the Old City String Quartet Mozart Blu ray be released? It was supposed to be out in January.

By the way, I Love the Nitty Gritty surround DVD Audio.
post #560 of 595 Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

The Mozart is finished and has been shipping to pre-orders over the past couple weeks. It is our second Blu-ray 3D title (it is compatible with 2D) of The Old City String Quartet playing three classical works from Mozart. ONe respondant called it the "Holy Grail" of audio/video production...faultless!

The new Mozart disc has 3 mixes and BD-ROM section with pre-ripped files for servers and a Headphones[xi] "virtual" surround headphone mix. The initial reactions have been very positive.
post #561 of 595 Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:

The Mozart is finished and has been shipping to pre-orders over the past couple weeks. It is our second Blu-ray 3D title (it is compatible with 2D) of The Old City String Quartet playing three classical works from Mozart.

Dr AIX,

Congratulations on your new Mozart BD recording. I do not have 3D capability (OPPO BD-83 and JVC RS-35). While you state that this BD is compatible with 2D, will the video experience be diminished compared to one of your BDs that was recorded for 2D use only?

I realize you probably record with special 3D cameras and wonder if this reduces 2D video quality. I will probably wait a few years before updating to a 3D projector. I have enjoyed one of your BD samplers and wish to purchase one of your classical or jazz recordings.
post #562 of 595 Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

In a 3D Blu-ray video, the left is recorded and delivered in full resolution (in this case I use 1280 x 720p so that I can get to the frame rate of 29.97, which is preferred for music). There is no degradation of image quality when viewing the discs in 2D.

Mark
post #563 of 595 Old 06-13-2012, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the Mozart Blu ray, and can tell you that the video quality in 2D viewed on my 123" screen is excellent. The surround audio is the best reproduction I have heard to date, making the listener feel as if he truely is in on stage with the performers. I kept having a strange reaction after each piece was concluded, that the audience should applaud, but of course there wasn't one. By the way, this Blu ray was praised by Steve Guttenberg over at CNET news in an article titled "How To Make Your Speakers Sound Better Than Ever".
post #564 of 595 Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the positive feedback and the note about Steve's article. I've received numerous emails and phone calls regarding the Mozart project. One older guy (although I'm an older guy too!) said, "you've finally reached the Holy Grail of audio and video quality". And just yesterday, I read a review at HDVDarts.com that gave it an A+ and called it their new reference standard disc.

We've been really busy cranking out new releases to meet our obligations to Naxos. The Blu-ray of Albert Lee and Ernest Ranglin are complete and coming in a just a couple of days, we'll have the Bryan Pezzone (absolutely amazing pianist...he heard the recording just recently and said it was the first time he had ever heard a piano recording that reproduced what he knows he played!).

Up for the following round are James Walker and Free Flight as well as Mark Chesnutt. Pezzone, Chesnutt and Free Flight are all 3D Music Albums™...for those interested in that technology.

Thanks to Dolby, AIX Records was selected as the supplier of a sample disc for A/V Reviews in Japan. We shipped thousands of the Goldberg Variations Acoustica to them for a magazine bundle opportunity.

Bose is using tracks of ours to demo their new sound bar in their retail outlets. And a major hardware manufacturer is including our 3D sample in with their machines in Europe...very cool.

It's been a very busy time but I'm very encouraged by the feedback from consumers and reviews. There is a difference when you leave the music to speak for itself.

Thanks to the readers of this list for your support.
post #565 of 595 Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

A little AIX Records news. Last week, We got the Albert Lee and Bryan Pezzone Blu-ray titles back from the replicator.

The Albert project was about 5 years in the making but looks and sound incredible. He's such an amazing guitarist and the whole project came together at long last. There is a Collectors Edition version on DVD-Audio/Video that has a ton of special features but that one is still about 6 weeks off.

The second one is by pianist Bryan Pezzone, a fellow faculty member at Cal Arts all those years ago. He actually performed a work of mine in New York City back in 1989 as part of New Music America (Piano Maps for Midi Piano and Spatial Controller). You've probably heard him because he plays on a ton of movie soundtracks these days an also contributes to the Yamaha MIDI pianos catalog. Anyway, hi Blu-ray is one in our series of 3D Music Albums™ and is simply gorgeous. He plays a mix between classical repertoire interspersed with improvisations in the style of. He does a variations on "We Shall Overcome" that is out of this world. I've never seen a pianist with such unique abilities.

I'm busy mixing Mark Chesnutt today. He was huge back in the 1990s with several Platinum selling albums and a bunch of hits. He and his band cooked on this June 2010 session (the ones we did in 3D). I hope to have it finished by the middle of July.

Some of you may know I have a former student, Dominic Robelotto, as my right hand man. He's as solid as they come and knows our world of audio and disc authoring really well. He was critical to the building of our studio and is invaluable in his knowledge of all of the technical aspects of our operation. Sadly, he was involved in a very serious traffic accident on Tuesday of last week. He was helping a motorcyclist that had gone down on the freeway when he was struck by another motorcyclist doing about 50 mph. Needless to say, he's suffered a great deal of injuries (broken pelvis and shoulder) and is in the ICU at UCLA medical center in a coma. We are keeping Dominic in our thoughts during this very difficult time and hope that he is able to overcome these new challenges.

Because Naxos is keeping us pushing new stuff out, you might want to check out the web site. There's a lot of new things...finally. All the best,
post #566 of 595 Old 06-17-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

In a 3D Blu-ray video, the left is recorded and delivered in full resolution (in this case I use 1280 x 720p so that I can get to the frame rate of 29.97, which is preferred for music). There is no degradation of image quality when viewing the discs in 2D.

Mark

720p - when done well - looks very good indeed.

I use a 1080p Panasonic PT-AE2000 LCD projector, and blow the image up to nine and a half feet wide by a little over five feet high. Sitting about one screen-width away (I know that's closer than the "experts" recommend, but I like immersiveness), the image quality of Amazon Prime at 720p on a well-done stream like the Firefly tv series looks very close to a 1080p Blu-ray.

720 has a bad rep because there's a lot of stuff being streamed at 720 (1) that's really 480 (standard definition), and (2) there's some overly-compressed 720 stuff as well. Excessive compression has an effect similar to turning noise reduction up too high in an image editing program - it blurs the image. I'm using a wired, not wifi connection - streaming services fall back to a more compressed - or lower resolution - stream if they detect a slow connection.

Just wait until the online video services start sending overly-compressed 1080 to wifi users - people who've never seen sharp HD are going to ask, "Where's the beef?"

post #567 of 595 Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

look forward to Albert Lee. Have Mozart Old City String Quartet, it is a superb disc. . Dr.. Waldrep, will there be more 7.1 Blu_Ray releases? Also, will Nicci Gilbert be released soon and on Blu_Ray?
post #568 of 595 Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Some of you may know I have a former student, Dominic Robelotto, as my right hand man. He's as solid as they come and knows our world of audio and disc authoring really well. He was critical to the building of our studio and is invaluable in his knowledge of all of the technical aspects of our operation. Sadly, he was involved in a very serious traffic accident on Tuesday of last week. He was helping a motorcyclist that had gone down on the freeway when he was struck by another motorcyclist doing about 50 mph. Needless to say, he's suffered a great deal of injuries (broken pelvis and shoulder) and is in the ICU at UCLA medical center in a coma. We are keeping Dominic in our thoughts during this very difficult time and hope that he is able to overcome these new challenges.
All the best,

Dr. Aix , I'm sorry to hear about Dominic, I hope he comes through.I'll keep him in my thoughts. Being a motorcycle rider myself, it's unfortunate that Dominic was hurt helping a fellow rider.
post #569 of 595 Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty pleased with 5.1 as the format of choice right now. I've done a few 7.1 versions but the bandwidth of the Blu-ray format simply cannot handle everything that we want. When the world gets addicted to surround music (I've been mixing Mark Chesnutt all weekend...wow!) then we can think about moving beyond 5.1.

As for Nicci...she's on my list to complete this summer. I'm heavy into the Wallace Roney project, BNO II, Banda Brothers and Terry Trotter as well. With the Dominic situation (he may not be back for many months if at all), it just makes it all the more difficult.

The new Pezzone Blu-ray and the upcoming Free Flight 3D projects are the current targets.
post #570 of 595 Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty pleased with 5.1 as the format of choice right now. I've done a few 7.1 versions but the bandwidth of the Blu-ray format simply cannot handle everything that we want. When the world gets addicted to surround music (I've been mixing Mark Chesnutt all weekend...wow!) then we can think about moving beyond 5.1.

Personally, I think that the rear speakers in 7.1 are wasted, as rear speakers are nearly inaudible unless cranked to a level higher than the rest of the system, given the role of the ears' pinnae in blocking out sound from behind.

When I set up my 5.1 system, I made the mistake of following the diagrams in the equipment manuals and put the surrounds in back. I was constantly going over to them to see if they were actually on. Then another poster pointed out to me that 5.1's surrounds are supposed to be on the sides, not in back. Moved them, and that placement worked much better.

Since then, I've never even been tempted to go to 7.1.

Think about how movie theaters are set up, with matched pairs of surrounds marching down the side walls, putting every row in the audience roughly the same distance from a set of surrounds.

That wouldn't work with rear speakers.

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page