Special AVS Deal From AIX Records - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 595 Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DR> WAldrep, hope That Dominic recovers soon from his accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 595 Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Been quiet here for the past month!

I hope that Dominic is doing better.

I've bought a pair of downloads from AIX's sister site, iTrax.com, and begun making surround DVD-A disks with Cirlinca's HD-Audio Solo Ultra to play through my Denon 2910: Guitar Noir by Laurence Juber and Gathered Around by The Steve Huffsteter Big Band (I'm a long-time jazz fan).

Both sound very good. They span the gamut from very small combo - guitar, bass, and quiet percussion - to big band. I picked the Steve Huffsteter Big Band disk because its sound is in the Gil Evans tradition. I'll probably get Odd Men In by the Emil Richards & Joe Porcaro All Star Big Band next - that one's clips sound somewhere between Basie and bebop. (That or Looking Up by Calamari - a vibes-based quartet led by Emil Richards & Joe Porcaro.)

I can't wait to hear these through the Oppo BDP-93 I've just ordered. My amp is a pre-HDMI Yamaha RX-V457 - I'm analog 5.1 all the way.

Here's a link to my post in another thread that gives an idea what my basement theater is like - mostly photos of the way I mounted my speakers, but there's one shot that gives an idea of how big the 1080p image I project between them feels at 9 1/2 feet wide by 5' 4" high. I sit "much too close" - 10 feet away - making it very immersive:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1090681/blu-ray-for-audio-anyone-taking-this-seriously/240#post_16552610

Like the front center speaker in the photos, the projector is also on a wireframe shelf for good ventilation - the type that stands on four poles at the corners. It stands over - and straddles - the equipment cabinet, making for nice short cable runs. After it killed my first amp by stealing the ventilation the amp needed, I put the disk players down below the projector instead.

post #573 of 595 Old 07-25-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
I spent 10 days on the road...got back on Sunday from DC. My son and I attended the Capitol AudioFest hosted by Gary Gill. It was a small show but proved to be very successful for us in spite of the general affection for vinyl, tubes and 2-channel setups. I put together a table in the record sales ballroom complete with a Blu-ray player, a small HDTV and my Smyth-Research Room Realizer. Thankfully, there were plenty of people that already knew about AIX Records that were anxious to learn what was new on the table. We've been very busy with new BD productions (they are so new that I haven't gotten all of them on the website yet...I'm the webmaster too).

Our new releases on Blu-ray include: Mozart - The Old City String Quartet (3D - this one is reviewed on 6 Moons at http://www.6moons.com/musicreviews/2012_july/mozart.html), Bryan Pezzone - Piano Pieces (3D), Ernest Ranglin, Albert Lee (review at: http://www.hometheatersound.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=56&Itemid=62, 3D Music Album Demo (review at: http://www.3dtv.com/reviews/3D-demo-disc-from-AIX-is-the-best-audio-and-3D-video-you-are-likely-to-see, Mark Chesnutt and James Walker and Free Flight. In production right now for release in a month or so are: Wallace Roney and Brand New Opry - Here and There Volume II. Of course, the world's first 3D Music Album™ Goldberg Variations Acoustica is still available (we bundled 20K copies in a Japanese high end magazine a couple of months ago...they loved it).

Visitors to our table were treated to the acoustics and sound of the AIX studios (including 5.1 surround using our B&W 801 Matrix III speakers and Bryston Amps) through the Smyth box. In case you haven't experienced this amazing technology, it basically captures the sound of my room (including all spatial cues) and delivers it through headphones. I decided to capture the output of the box and include those stereo files on the BD-ROM section of our new discs...this way you can hear "surround" on phones while you're traveling or out of your home theater. It's really revolutionary but I don't think too many reviewers are even accessing those files. John Atkinson of Stereophile stopped by and was impressed. He posted his reaction here:http://www.stereophile.com/content/capital-audiofest151day-two-morning

As it happened the folks from Mapleshade were selling there discs from the table right next to us. We were sort of the digital corner in an otherwise vinyl dominated room (why did they guy across from us have to fire up his rather obnoxious and loud disc cleaner vacuum system every 30 seconds all day?). Anyway, I got the chance to play a couple of my favorite tracks (in this case Lowlands from Brand New Opry Vol I) for Pierre Sprey, the founder and engineer for the very well-respected Mapleshade company. He listened through the Smyth Realizer and loved what he heard. According to his second in command, he never raves about other company's tracks but he loved what I played for him. We may even get included in his catalog...something that has never been offered to another record company. We had great Indian food one evening...very interesting conversation and good company. They also had a room upstairs that I got to check out...crazy cabling (thin twisted pairs and off ground trestles) but it did deliver good sound.

One last word of caution about the Crown Plaza Hotel chain where the event was held. I suffered through a night of bed bugs as I awoke and discovered over a dozen bites. The manager is "investigating", which means he's not interested in doing anything. I you have a choice stay away from Crown Plaza...they don't care..

The news for Dominic is that he is out of his coma and has been moved to a "sub acute" care facility south of the studio. I went to visit him on Sunday when I got back and was amazed to see him alert and obviously engaged with everyone around him. He's not speaking yet but is slowly gaining back his physical and mental capabilities. Very positive. It will still be a long recovery but he's a very strong and determined young man and will overcome this challenge.
post #574 of 595 Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

The reviews continue to be extremely positive for our latest blu-ray releases. Rad Bennet at SoundStage called the sonics on the Albert Lee title "perfect and gave it 5 stars. Brandon du Hamel at Blu-ray Definition said this about the 3D Music Album™ sampler, "What can i say about AIX Records that hasn't already been said?" He also gave the sound 5 stars!

Well, it's been a summer of production at AIX Records. I've just completed the Mark Chesnutt - Your Room and James Walker and Free Flight - Threads projects on Blu-ray 3D and love them both. I'm hoping that Mark Chesnutt fans will want to see and hear Mark playing his hits in full surround and HD-Video. I'm a proud fan of country music and love the sound on this one.

The Free Flight project is a quartet headed by flutist extraordinaire James Walker. He is joined by Bryan Pezzone (who I released on 3D Music Album format in June), Tim Emmons and Mike Packer. This is jazz/classical fusion that shows amazing virtuosity.

I'm expecting to get Wallace Roney and BNO (The Brand New Opry II) Here and There back from the replicator this week. Check out the website for additional information and for videos. We're hoping to get two new production out per month...so far so good.

I look forward to hearing what this group thinks.
post #575 of 595 Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Congratulations! It's exciting to see your passion receiving greater recognition. So, with the success of the blu rays does that mean the end of any dvd audio disks?
post #576 of 595 Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

It really doesn't make much sense to continue producing DVD-Audio discs at this point in time. The Blu-ray format is perfect as a physical format and obviously the future is downloads or streaming. I pretty happy with the ease of use and the quality of the BD format. They are expensive to produce and the royalties are pretty harsh.
post #577 of 595 Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Though I'm a newly-minted DVD-A burner, I'm pretty format-agnostic, so long as going with Blu-ray doesn't mean 3D on every disk - I don't have or intend to get 3D and would rather have 2D 1080p video than 720p 3D - and a 96/24 5.1 stage-perspective audio track I can load onto my streaming server. Since my Oppo can downmix 7.1 to 5.1, that doesn't matter either - though I consider 7.1 pointless, since the design of our ears blocks out sound coming from the rear.

post #578 of 595 Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Wow...there's a lot in your post. Let me respond briefly. First of all, AIX Records is first and foremost a music label. We deliver what I believe is some of the best sound music recordings on the planet on various formats. It doesn't matter to me whether it's an MLP file on DVD-Audio or a TrueHD file on a Blu-ray disc or even a file downloaded from the internet. The magic is not in the format but in the way the recordings are produced. We are currently releasing our REAL HD-Audio albums on Blu-ray and Bluy-ray 3D. The video is a bonus...watch it a couple of times or don't watch it at all. I find that many customers like the experience of watching a performance. After all, music is a visual art as well as a sonic one. As for the 2D or 3D thing, that's just additional candy to explore. I like 3D but every disc we make is 2D compatible.

The files for all of our projects are available on iTrax.com AND our recent releases have the stereo FLAC in HD-Audio on the BD-ROM portion of the titles.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the design of our ears blocks out sound coming from the rear". I hear sound from the rear all the time and actually our stage mixes include sounds coming from the 110-120 degree perspective.

The fact is, everyone can choose their own type of listening experience...and I think AIX Records gives people more choices than any other label I'm aware of.
post #579 of 595 Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

Wow...there's a lot in your post. Let me respond briefly. First of all, AIX Records is first and foremost a music label. We deliver what I believe is some of the best sound music recordings on the planet on various formats. It doesn't matter to me whether it's an MLP file on DVD-Audio or a TrueHD file on a Blu-ray disc or even a file downloaded from the internet. The magic is not in the format but in the way the recordings are produced. We are currently releasing our REAL HD-Audio albums on Blu-ray and Bluy-ray 3D. The video is a bonus...watch it a couple of times or don't watch it at all. I find that many customers like the experience of watching a performance. After all, music is a visual art as well as a sonic one. As for the 2D or 3D thing, that's just additional candy to explore. I like 3D but every disc we make is 2D compatible.
The files for all of our projects are available on iTrax.com AND our recent releases have the stereo FLAC in HD-Audio on the BD-ROM portion of the titles.
I'm not sure what you mean by "the design of our ears blocks out sound coming from the rear". I hear sound from the rear all the time and actually our stage mixes include sounds coming from the 110-120 degree perspective.
The fact is, everyone can choose their own type of listening experience...and I think AIX Records gives people more choices than any other label I'm aware of.

What I meant about "the design of our ears" is that the shape of the pinna - the ear trumpet made of flesh - around each ear faces forwards, so that sound from the rear - particularly high frequencies - have to pass through the pinna. Sort of like a "wind filter" made out of leather as far as sound from the rear goes.

Most localization information is high frequency, and that's what's most heavily attenuated by having to pass through 1/16" of rigidized flesh. If you like to relax by locking your fingers together behind your head, you can add to that the thickness of your wrists.

My experience in my 5.1 home theater, when I first set it up with the surround speakers in the back of the room as shown in most equipment manuals, was that when all the speaker levels were equalized by reference to a sound pressure level meter the rear speakers were inaudible.

I found myself frequently going over to those speakers to confirm that they were actually putting out sound.

Eventually, I was told by an audio columnist in another forum here that in a 5.1 system the surround speakers are intended to be to the listeners' sides and the diagrams in equipment manuals are wrong - the rear positions are only used in 7.1. (Think of the matched pairs of surround speakers marching down the side walls in a movie theater.) When I moved my surrounds to the sides, the problem was solved. The intended immersiveness occurred.

120 degrees is still within the scoop of the pinna, so 120 degrees should be achievable with a 5.1 system with the speakers placed on the sides very slightly behind the listener. What won't work is anything approaching 180 degrees.

As to the 3D disks being 2D compatible, I have no doubt of that - but if the choice is made to master both eyes' images at 720p rather than 1080p, as you mentioned in an earlier post - I'd rather get a purely 2D disk mastered in 1080p. Yes, 720p can look good, but 1080p looks better. It's like the difference between a well-made 44/16 CD and one of your 96/24 disks - it's the presence of more fine detail. Maybe the image for the eye that gets used in 2D playback could be at 1080?

My optometrist set me up with "monovision" (instead of bifocals) a few years ago - one eye corrected for near objects and one for distance. It's amazing that the brain coordinates so well that I'm not aware that this is going on unless I close one eye and then the other. In fact, I've stopped using the contact lens for near objects at all, since I'm near-sighted to start with!

The presence of more detail in one eye's video signal than the other would work the same way. You could supply 1080p to the eye channel that is viewed by 2D users, and the 3D viewers would see that same increased level of detail!

-Phil

post #580 of 595 Old 08-16-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Since the good Dr. AIX has a small but very active professional company, he must make many choices based on his own experience and expertise, as well as the wants and oft-expressed desires of his customers. Since Philnick loquaciously expressed both his personal preferences and made some recommendations about product improvement, I will offer my viewpoint.

I agree with the principle of format agnosticism to the extent that if it sounds good, then I do not care what format it is in. However, I also have some format preferences when it comes to what is available, and DVD-A and Blu-ray usually top that list when it comes to multichannel and high resolution sound. I find 7.1 especially satisfying, which tends to put Blu-ray-based music media at the top of the list, and of course in that regard Philnick's consideration of 7.1 being "pointless" is contrary to my experience and preference. Different experiences and preferences are common in this hobby, so it's not a big deal to me other than to write that I like what others may dismiss.

Generally speaking, the video on the AIX discs is extra material in my view, and usually welcome at that. I don't see an issue with the way it's presented, and can use it or not use it as I desire. I certainly don't buy the discs--I have around 20 of them--for the video content, though I find it to be usually excellent regardless of resolution, and it shows fine on a 110" screen. I've occasionally had some video issues with menu structure on a very few discs, but that's not relevant to the quality of the content, just to the means of getting to the content.

The fact that there are superb audio recordings to play on my two channel systems, my 5.1 surround system, and my 7.1 surround system (when applicable) makes each AIX disc a real value, and the audience and stage mixes add even more value.

I see AIX and its products as a nearly full cup, and the kinds of changes I'd like would be more in the artist category. There are world class musicians already performing on AIX, but the day Mark has a full 7.1 version of Sgt. Pepper's or Abbey Road is the day the cup is full, and when Clazziquai Project's Mucho Punk is in the catalog, the cup runneth over. tongue.gif

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #581 of 595 Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

. . .
I see AIX and its products as a nearly full cup, and the kinds of changes I'd like would be more in the artist category. There are world class musicians already performing on AIX, but the day Mark has a full 7.1 version of Sgt. Pepper's or Abbey Road is the day the cup is full, and when Clazziquai Project's Mucho Punk is in the catalog, the cup runneth over. tongue.gif

We ain't never going to see the Beatles old records in AIX's catalog, given Mark's position on the inappropriateness of calling anything coming from analog tape HD, but it would be great if he could position himself as this generation's Rudy Van Gelder or Roger Nichols, offering production facilities to artists and producers who're successful enough to have the freedom to choose what studio to record in.

post #582 of 595 Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

You guys don't know how much I would love to have access to artists with more "relevance" to a certain market segment. I've made pitches to John Ondrasik of Five for FIghting but his record company wasn't interested...although he was and a very nice guy. If I actually can get money enough to get it together Todd Rundgren might work with me on a project...I know him and he has been here and experienced the whole deal. I'm a secret...no one other than some people here and other dedicated music lovers know what I do. That's too bad because I do believe that we're doing things that take audio to another level. Spreading the word takes time and resources.

As for the Sgt Peppers record, I actually have imagined re-recording each of the parts with original instruments and then laying the original vocals over the top...I actually have a copy of the 4 track masters. Wouldn't that be a hoot!
post #583 of 595 Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

If you read what was involved in the Blu-ray release of Woodstock, there was at least one track where they decided to re-record some of the parts and used the son of one of the original musicians to rerecord his father's part!

post #584 of 595 Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Just received Wallace Roney and BNO (Brand New Opry) Here & There Vol. II back from the replicator. These are very different types of music but both are really great. I'm amazed at the complexity and imagination of Wallace and his brother Antoine...and the additional of a turntablist (not a DJ) was brilliant. The BNO project combines more the "coastal country" crowd organized by Phil Salazar and Jonathan McEuen...I could listen to that all day every day. The organic nature of the music and the diversity of personalities is great. If you liked the first Brand New Opry, this is more in the same vein.

Of course, last month we finished James Walker and Free Flight as well as Mark Chesnutt.

We got a couple of really terrific reviews yesterday. Check out these links:

"A terrific crossover quartet in perfect hi-res surround, and 3D visuals to boot!" http://audaud.com/2012/08/james-walker-and-free-flight-threads-blu-ray-3d-2012/

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/reviews/albert-lee-tearing-it-up-blu-ray-review.html

It's been a very productive summer for AIX Records...we've never finished so many projects in such a a consistent fashion. If you're a fan...spread the word.
post #585 of 595 Old 09-07-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

I've just learned that our Albert Lee - Tearing It Up Blu-ray release has been given the "Recording of the Month" spot in the November issue of Stereophile magazine...very nice to have this very special project recognized. Robert Baird interviewed Albert for his piece on this amazing musicians and talked to me about High Definition audio etc.

I was also on Scott Wilkinson's netcast "Home Theater Geeks" a couple of weeks ago. We've been friends since we both attended music school at CSUN back in the late 709s and 80s. You can check out the show (which is part of the twit.tv network) at the following:

http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/126

I'm going to be speaking and selling our latest discs at the Toronto Audio Video show at the end of September AND at the RMAF in October. If you're attending, please stop by and say hello.
post #586 of 595 Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Dr Waldrep, saw your interview with Scott Wilkerson. It was very informative. I own over a dozen Aix DVDs and Blu-Rays , and hope to purchase more soon. I wanted to comment on the "bucket" between digital and analog. I know that digital at 16 bit has better dynamic range than analog, but does analog have a better frequency range than Red Book CD? I read the analog tape could go up to half the bias frequency of the erase head of a tape recorder which was about 100k.I think there were some aspects of 15ips or 30ips stereo master tapes that were better than 16/44.1 or 16/48 digital mastering. Did Sony /Phillips make a mistake in 1980 by going with 16/44.1 instead of 16/48 or 16/88.2? Your recording techinque is right up there with the classic RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence of the 1950s and early 1960s. Will the Nicci Gilbert project be coming out on Blu-Ray?
post #587 of 595 Old 09-23-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments and question. The differences between the formats must always be kept in perspective...because they ALL represent potential qualitative measures. There are many CDs that do not have any dynamic range thanks to the aggressive processing that mastering engineers are required to apply to virtually all CDs and digital downloads (I know...I was a mastering engineer for 13 years!). Analog tape vs PCM digital is not contest. As much as I love my Nagra IV-S, I recognize that it cannot approach the potential fidelity of even the Redbook standard...for both dynamic range and frequency response. This whole notion of full level frequencies above 20 kHz is a myth unless you're using one of the super custom machines and running tape at 30 ips. I posted the frequency response of my Nagra and it rolls off gently starting at around 18 kHz. By 25 kHz, it's down 6 dB.

Sony and Phillips did the best they could with the information that they had at the time. It would have been better to move the sample rate up by a factor of 2 but that would have delayed the introduction of the format and who knows what might have happened.

Nicci Gilbert is coming early next year.

Mark
post #588 of 595 Old 10-19-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

It's been a very busy month of traveling to a couple of audio shows...one that I've never attended and another that I usually visited but haven't actually participated in for a fewe years. I went to the TAVES (Toronto Audio/Video Entertainment Show) and was very pleasantly surprised at the number of informed audio enthusiasts that attended and the interest for our expanding line of Blu-ray titles. I gave a couple of presentations about HD-Audio and the future of the music business, which were very well attended. Last weekend I attended the RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest) in Denver. This is one of the biggest shows in North America and this year seemed better than ever. I didn't set a demonstration system as I have done in the past but opted instead to pitch my wares in the sales ballroom. I came with 5 boxes of various discs and left with only 1...so it was a great weekend. I've decided to do almost all of the shows if I can pay for the trip with the sales proceeds. This way I can help spread the word about our real HD-Audio surround titles. I'm already planning for the biggest AXPONA show yet which will be held in Chicago next March.

A piece of really great press showed up in the November issue of Stereophile magazine. Robert Baird wrote a feature article about our recent Albert Lee - Tearing It Up project on Blu-ray AND they awarded it the "Recording of the Month". This is the first time that a Blu-ray HD-Audio surround title has ever been recognized with this award. Obviously, I'm thrilled. The only irony is that the cover line states "Albert Lee's Surround Music Experiment"...after 12 years of doing this I don't think of my work as experimental anymore. For a magazine entitled STEREOphile, I guess 5.1 surround music is still "experimental".

I've received copies now of Terry Trotter's new BD release entitled "I Play The Piano". He's an incredible LA based jazz pianist that is respected by all prominent jazz players. He was invited by Miles Davis to join his band back in the early 1960s...but declined because he didn't want to move to SF. This is a really special piano release.

We also just received our first run of the Rita Coolidge - Play Something Sweet BD 3D. This is spectacular project that includes some of Rita's biggest hits with a full 7-piece band and background singers (the Waters family). One part New Orleans funk and one part rock/pop, this is a rare treat for our little label. I'll be getting it up on our web site shortly.
post #589 of 595 Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Albert Lee "Tearing It Up' is a musical and audio "tour de force" Title track, "Sleepless Nights",, "Luxury Liner" are fantastic. In the stage mix, the speakers just melted away with natural sound . If you a Blu-Ray player, Surround sound and HDTV , this is a must have disc.
post #590 of 595 Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouraging comments. The emails and positive reviews have increased since the publication of the Stereophile "Recording of the Month" award and the feature article...of course, I feel that all of our productions are worthy. They are all recorded using the same philosophy and in REAL HD-Audio. Besides Albert, my new favorite is Terry Trotter. If you haven't checked out this amazing musician, you should. I posted a video sample on YouTube.
post #591 of 595 Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

As we head into the Holiday season, I thought I would ramp up our marketing presence a little. The fact is I love producing new music release, I love getting feedback from customers, I love reading positive reviews and I absolutely love experiencing AIX Records products. I will sit in my studio for extended periods just listening and watching. But I do not love to promote and push our recordings on potential customers. I guess I've subscribed to the "Field of Dreams" concept of "build it and see if they will come". Thankfully, they have. I've been at this audiophile record label thing for 12 years and managed to complete 80 projects during that time. Fortunately, there have been appreciative customers, impressed reviewers and grateful artists that continue to support our quality driven label. My new favorite pianist is Terry Trotter...one of our new titles.

So I'll be preparing a newsletter this weekend that will highlight some of the latest AIX Records releases and offer a Christmas Special of some sort. Over the past 6 months, I've completed almost a dozen Blu-ray titles, finished all of the 3D Music Albums and revamped the AIX Records web site (yes, I do virtually all of this work myself...including the writing, coding, artwork and audio/video stuff!). I'll point out the incredible reviews that we've received over the past few months including the award for "Record of the Month" from Stereophile magazine for the Albert Lee - Tearing It Up Blu-ray (they also wrote a very thorough article about Albert and AIX) and the numerous 5 star reviews from Blu-ray Definition and Audiophile Audition. I will also mention that MIX Magazine (the recording engineers primary periodical) included me as "one of 8 experts" on quality audio recording...it was an honor to be placed alongside multiple Grammy winner Al Schmitt. After 12 years, I do believe that AIX Records has made an impact on the recording industry. It's small but those of your who know about our quality and attention to detail, you know. And I'm far from finished.

I received a call from a customer in Michigan this morning. He wanted to place a phone order (he picked up the Albert Lee title). As we chatted, I asked him if he had ever experienced one of our titles. He responded, "Yes, of course. They are the best recordings I've ever heard! Once you've heard an AIX Records project, nothing else compares!" I'm obviously very thankful that he's a fan and this is not the first time that I've received this sort of positive comments. It does keep me going.

I would urge AVS surround sound fans, HD-Audio and AIX customers to visit the site and check out our new offerings AND to stop by FaceBook and add AIX Records as a "friend". It's time that I push at least a little and I thought I would start here. If you can help me spread the word, the "Field of Dreams" will become a bigger reality. Thanks.
post #592 of 595 Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

I will be placing another order in December. Got Albert Lee and Mark Chesnut in October. Superb. Have over 15 titles on DVD and Blu-Ray. Purchased the DVDs before getting a Blu-Ray player.
post #593 of 595 Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

I trust everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends. I managed to complete the Holidays Newsletter, clean up the contacts list and get a mailing out yesterday. If you're on my mailing list, then you've probably already received it. If you didn't you can review it at http://www.aixrecords.com/newsletters/newsletter_121117.html. There's the usual news and information about what's been happening at AIX Records and a couple of special deals available for through the holidays...including a BUY 2 and GET 1 FREE offer.

This has been a very busy year for AIX Records with almost 16 new blu-ray productions completed. Check them out at the site and contact me with any questions.

BTW Dominic is doing much better. He's home and enjoying the holidays.
post #594 of 595 Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

On the web site , just took adavantage of buy 2 get 1 free Blu Ray. Glad Nicci Gilbert is now on sale.. Sale is on through Jan. Glad Aix Records is on Blu ray. Also, hated to choose between video or 24/96/5.1 audio. Have found that DTS on DVD- Video was not a bad audio compromise. In the future hope that new projects will be shot in 4k Ultra HD.
post #595 of 595 Old 05-18-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

I know I have MIA for a while. It's been a very busy spring. I went to ALL of the audio shows in North America (AXPONA, Montreal, etc) and have working a new roll out of the iTrax downloader. The big news is the RealHD-Audio.com magazine site that I launched a week or so ago. It's a place for information about HD-Audio. There's a really great interview with John Siau of Benchmark Media about the DSD encoding scheme and an article about a comparison recording I was involved with in Montana between analog tape, DSD 64 and PCM 94/24. Very compelling.

Check out: www.realhd-audio.com
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page