Special AVS Deal From AIX Records - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 595 Old 07-30-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
David Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
James, while you're waiting for your cables, listen to the video side of those AIX discs. It still sounds great, and the video does add a lot to the experience.
David Scott is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 595 Old 08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
mgpt6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mass
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dr.Waldrep, do you use tube electronics before the 24/96 ADC, and do you mointor using tube pre-amp and/or tube power anp?
mgpt6 is offline  
post #93 of 595 Old 08-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Member
 
tom_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just picked up the Dorian Michael and Laurence Juber DVD's and they are now my favorites. Well done, the performance and sound are incredible on both.

Thanks
tom_c is offline  
post #94 of 595 Old 08-20-2007, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dr. AIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry for the delay...I wasn't notified like I usually am that someone posted to this thread. I Do not use tube equipment except in one of my rooms here at the studio...it has a beautiful Butler 5050 tube amp.

The production chain in our recordings is mic to Benchmark Preamps to Euphonix AD with monitoring provided by Bryston 9B and 4B to B&W 801 Series IIIs. I've used the new 800Ds at a show in Florida and was knocked out...incredible sound. The high frequencies were all there...and many of my tracks extend to well over 30 kHz.
Dr. AIX is offline  
post #95 of 595 Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Newbie
 
scorgiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading this forum I decided to buy something from AIX Records. I'm just wondering how long it will take to get some sort of verification (eg. email) that my purchase was successful. I made my purchase a couple of days ago and still haven't received anything.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the good Dr. can do! I'm going to be getting an a completely new audio system installed soon and I'm anticipating that AIX will be providing my "lets see what this system is capabal of" disc.
scorgiman is offline  
post #96 of 595 Old 09-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
teknoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorgiman View Post

After reading this forum I decided to buy something from AIX Records. I'm just wondering how long it will take to get some sort of verification (eg. email) that my purchase was successful. I made my purchase a couple of days ago and still haven't received anything.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the good Dr. can do! I'm going to be getting an a completely new audio system installed soon and I'm anticipating that AIX will be providing my "lets see what this system is capabal of" disc.

You never do get confirmation for any order...at least I never have. And that includes sending mail to Dr. AIX and asking why.

So far the only shortcoming they have, IMO.

-t
teknoguy is offline  
post #97 of 595 Old 09-05-2007, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dr. AIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The ordering system generates an email to me and to the order desk. My son is handling the orders now that Joplin has left to pursue her dreams. When he confirms an order, validates the credit card stuff...he's supposed to send a confirming email.

If someone writes to my email address [mwaldrep@aixrecords.com], I respond as quickly as possible.

It sometimes takes a few days...
Dr. AIX is offline  
post #98 of 595 Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Newbie
 
scorgiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It appears that I have now been charged for my purchase which is as good a confirmation as any for me. Wait, just checked my email and there is message from AIX saying that my order is being shipped.
I hope it doesn't take too long to arrive, but seeing as how I'm in Australia I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
scorgiman is offline  
post #99 of 595 Old 09-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
fresno1232001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It will be worth the wait. And DO NOT worry. Dr. Waldrep is honest. Probably explains why he produces a hugely superior product and has not yet gotten rich. No good deed goes unpunished, as you know.
His disks are the benchmark in the recording industry, and no one else even tries to match his quality. Last night I listened to Beatles "Love" DVD-A and man it is so cool. About 24 songs If you don't own it I strongly recommend it. It's the only DVD-A I own that comes close to Aix DVD-As in sound quality. In fact, buying it showed me that DVD-A CAN sound great, after I bought about a dozen non-Aix that sounded lousy. Funny how a disk can strike you differently at different times. Last night I watched "For All Mankind", all NASA footage from the Apollo moon shots. I recommend IT too. Listened last night to the verbal commentary for first time. The guy that made the disk and the last man on the moon are talking. Long, long sequences out on the moon's surface. Long shots out across the rock-strewn ground with mountains beyond. Riding in the lunar excursion vehicle, built, BTW by my company, GM. I worked in the 50-story General Motors building at 767 Fifth Ave in New York 1970-1981. They had one of these vehicles sitting in the lobby for a year or so. The last man to set foot on the moon (in 1972) said this as he stepped off the LEM: "That may have been a small step for Neil, but it was a big step for me"- (laughter in the control room). Great disk. NASA took the film canisters out of liquid nitrogen storage and let this guy make prints from the negatives (!), better than the prints NASA originally made. So this ended and I put on Beatles Love. For about 65 minutes I just sat there hearing it and it sounded better than any earlier listening. Great little combo of disks, those two, BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorgiman View Post

It appears that I have now been charged for my purchase which is as good a confirmation as any for me. Wait, just checked my email and there is message from AIX saying that my order is being shipped.
I hope it doesn't take too long to arrive, but seeing as how I'm in Australia I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

fresno1232001 is offline  
post #100 of 595 Old 09-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Newbie
 
scorgiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

It will be worth the wait. And DO NOT worry. Dr. Waldrep is honest. Probably explains why he produces a hugely superior product and has not yet gotten rich. No good deed goes unpunished, as you know.
His disks are the benchmark in the recording industry, and no one else even tries to match his quality. Last night I listened to Beatles "Love" DVD-A and man it is so cool. About 24 songs If you don't own it I strongly recommend it. It's the only DVD-A I own that comes close to Aix DVD-As in sound quality. In fact, buying it showed me that DVD-A CAN sound great, after I bought about a dozen non-Aix that sounded lousy. Funny how a disk can strike you differently at different times. Last night I watched "For All Mankind", all NASA footage from the Apollo moon shots. I recommend IT too. Listened last night to the verbal commentary for first time. The guy that made the disk and the last man on the moon are talking. Long, long sequences out on the moon's surface. Long shots out across the rock-strewn ground with mountains beyond. Riding in the lunar excursion vehicle, built, BTW by my company, GM. I worked in the 50-story General Motors building at 767 Fifth Ave in New York 1970-1981. They had one of these vehicles sitting in the lobby for a year or so. The last man to set foot on the moon (in 1972) said this as he stepped off the LEM: "That may have been a small step for Neil, but it was a big step for me"- (laughter in the control room). Great disk. NASA took the film canisters out of liquid nitrogen storage and let this guy make prints from the negatives (!), better than the prints NASA originally made. So this ended and I put on Beatles Love. For about 65 minutes I just sat there hearing it and it sounded better than any earlier listening. Great little combo of disks, those two, BTW.

I'm not worried. From what I've read on this forum I have no doubt that Dr. Waldrep produces a top quality product and obviously wants to share his creations with people like us. In order to do this he needs to look after his customers!

I didn't know there was a dvd-a version of Love. I'll have to check it out for sure! I love the Beatles and I own all of their albums.

On a side note, I also work for GM but in Australia. I haven't been with the company anywhere near as long as you though, I wasn't even born when the lunar excursion vehicle was on display in your building.
scorgiman is offline  
post #101 of 595 Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
fresno1232001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm retired from GM. Studied Accounting after GM, passed the CPA exam (probably Chartered Accountant to you), got an MS in Taxation. GM brought in a Holden rear wheel drive a couple years ago and called it Pontiac GTO. It failed utterly for zero styling. Now they will bring in another one and call it Pontiac G-8. A zero name if there ever was one. Apparently a big seller though there in Australia. The one with that big round tail-light under an outer plastic cover with a funny dip in the back-up light under that round tail light. How do you like that vehicle? Back on-topic- The Beatles Love album is sold as a CD OR you get the CD and the DVD-A together for ~$18 US here. Sir George Martin and/or his son did a great job of mastering it. Regarding AIX, to me it is just unbelievable that big artists don't beat a path to Mark Waldrep's door and have him record them. A lot of them will only be heard on CD's -a very inferior format if there ever was one. Thank God I have a couple of Barclay-Crocker reel to reel tapes of Joan Baez. Analog all the way. It is almost a religious experience to hear those with her one-in-a-100 billion voice. We need to hear her recorded by Waldrep, and ditto for the Stones and a lot more. What if Pavoratti had been recorded by Aix in say 2000 when DVD-A came out? Now we will have only the lousy CDs, unless somehow Waldrep could get hold of the master tapes and do a DVD-A, ala Beatles Love, of Pavoratti. Are you reading this, Mark? I swear, a movement should be started to get these tapes to Waldrep. The billion Pavoratti fans would arrange for it if they knew what Waldrep can do.
And do look into that DVD "For All Mankind" on The Criterion Collection Number 54, 79 min., Dolby Digital 5.1, 1.33:1 ratio. wwww.criterionco.com. 1989. They took film from different missions, so the Astronauts keep changing. Even threw in some footage from Gemenii and Skylab missions, which to accuracy nuts is a little jarring. Said the Gemeni footage was so good they couldn't resist. Really remarkable camera work they did on the moon, especially when camera on a mount and controlled from earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorgiman View Post

I'm not worried. From what I've read on this forum I have no doubt that Dr. Waldrep produces a top quality product and obviously wants to share his creations with people like us. In order to do this he needs to look after his customers!

I didn't know there was a dvd-a version of Love. I'll have to check it out for sure! I love the Beatles and I own all of their albums.

On a side note, I also work for GM but in Australia. I haven't been with the company anywhere near as long as you though, I wasn't even born when the lunar excursion vehicle was on display in your building.

fresno1232001 is offline  
post #102 of 595 Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Neville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgia
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd love to order something from AIX and get that freee sampler as a bonus but not sure what to order. I have a universal player but prefer SACD and vinyl, if possible. Genre are as follows:

1. jazz such as Diana Krall, Jacintha, Caroll Kidd etc
2. some acoustics/guitar like John Gorka, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, JJ Cale etc
3. old r&b, blues
4. been trying to get into classical, just dont know what ...

I'm itching to burn that card

thx in advance
Neville is offline  
post #103 of 595 Old 09-20-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
David Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

I'd love to order something from AIX and get that freee sampler as a bonus but not sure what to order. I have a universal player but prefer SACD and vinyl, if possible. Genre are as follows:

1. jazz such as Diana Krall, Jacintha, Caroll Kidd etc
2. some acoustics/guitar like John Gorka, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, JJ Cale etc
3. old r&b, blues
4. been trying to get into classical, just dont know what ...

I'm itching to burn that card

thx in advance

Well, the Laurence Juber "Guitar Noir" disc is my favorite, I think it's a must buy. Do that and get BOTH sampler discs. The samplers have a wide variety of tracks, jazz, acoustic, blues, classical, etc. After listening to the samplers then decide what other discs to order.
David Scott is offline  
post #104 of 595 Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Neville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgia
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thx for the advice and I will order that, but you mention I must get both samplers - is this the same sampler I will ger for free or ... ?

thx
Neville is offline  
post #105 of 595 Old 09-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
teknoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

I'd love to order something from AIX and get that freee sampler as a bonus but not sure what to order. I have a universal player but prefer SACD and vinyl, if possible. Genre are as follows:

1. jazz such as Diana Krall, Jacintha, Caroll Kidd etc
2. some acoustics/guitar like John Gorka, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, JJ Cale etc
3. old r&b, blues
4. been trying to get into classical, just dont know what ...

I'm itching to burn that card

thx in advance

If you're into Christmas...get the Surrounded by Christmas disc with Laurence Juber and a few other all-stars. A jazzy Christmas disc that's sure to please.

I also have the Guitar Noir disc. Very good!

Also have the Paul Smith Trio disc. Highly recommended.

Keep in mind the Sampler discs are just that...2 or so minute samples by various artists. No full length cuts.

-t
teknoguy is offline  
post #106 of 595 Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
fresno1232001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My three favorite Aix are Brand New Opry, I Get Surround by the Surf City Allstars, Nitty Gritty Surround, and Bach Brandenburg Concerto. Order those four and feel that you got value for your money. If anyone can get you into classical, I think it's Bach, who, I still believe, will eventually develop a following.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

I'd love to order something from AIX and get that freee sampler as a bonus but not sure what to order. I have a universal player but prefer SACD and vinyl, if possible. Genre are as follows:

1. jazz such as Diana Krall, Jacintha, Caroll Kidd etc
2. some acoustics/guitar like John Gorka, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, JJ Cale etc
3. old r&b, blues
4. been trying to get into classical, just dont know what ...

I'm itching to burn that card

thx in advance

fresno1232001 is offline  
post #107 of 595 Old 09-23-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dr. AIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Someone mentioned John Gorka a couple of posts ago...wow! He's my absolute favorite singer/songwriter [although I love James Taylor as well]. My sister turned me on to him many years ago...an amazing voice coupled with tunes that really connected with me. But the sound of his Windham Hill recordings are horrific and I simply couldn't listen to them. Too much compression, artificial reverb...eq etc. Argh!

So I reached out to John at a gig in Los Angeles a couple of years ago. I said hello after the show and told him I would love to collaborate on a DVD project...yeah right! So to cut to the chase...I've just finished the John Gorka Collectors Edition project! We had a little party a week ago and he played the same club to celebrate our newest release. 19 Tunes, music videos...all of the usual AIX stuff. John's thrilled as am I. You can check out a little video trailer I put together at : http://www.itrax.com/media/video/jg_promo_1.mov

I should also point out that I recorded 4 tunes from Dave Mason on Thursday that will be part of the EHX event in Long Beach. "Feelin' Alright", "We Just Disagree" and two more as an unplugged trio...really great. What fun!

Back to some editing...see you all later. Thanks.
Dr. AIX is offline  
post #108 of 595 Old 09-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Member
 
GrahamMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dr. Waldrep,

Any luck contacting Bela Fleck? As I said before, he seemed rather interested in the prospect of working with you and I'd REALLY like to hear the result!! Keep up the great work!!

Graham
GrahamMc is offline  
post #109 of 595 Old 09-25-2007, 04:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Neville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgia
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

I'd love to order something from AIX and get that freee sampler as a bonus but not sure what to order. I have a universal player but prefer SACD and vinyl, if possible. Genre are as follows:

1. jazz such as Diana Krall, Jacintha, Caroll Kidd etc
2. some acoustics/guitar like John Gorka, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, JJ Cale etc
3. old r&b, blues
4. been trying to get into classical, just dont know what ...

I'm itching to burn that card

thx in advance

I put my order in for "guitar noir"......hoping to get it by the weekend. Samples on website sounded pretty good. Any other acoustic recommendations?
Neville is offline  
post #110 of 595 Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dr. AIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Graham, I'm about 6 recordings behind in my productions so doing something new is going to be difficult before next summer. But Bela Fleck is definitely a hit for me.

I've been talking to Colin Hay [Men at Work], Al Stewart [Year of the Cat], Raul Malo [The Mavericks] and did a short recording with Dave Mason the other day for the EHX project we're working on.

Mark
Dr. AIX is offline  
post #111 of 595 Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 22,305
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

It will be worth the wait. And DO NOT worry. Dr. Waldrep is honest. Probably explains why he produces a hugely superior product and has not yet gotten rich. No good deed goes unpunished, as you know.
His disks are the benchmark in the recording industry, and no one else even tries to match his quality. Last night I listened to Beatles "Love" DVD-A and man it is so cool. About 24 songs If you don't own it I strongly recommend it. It's the only DVD-A I own that comes close to Aix DVD-As in sound quality. In fact, buying it showed me that DVD-A CAN sound great, after I bought about a dozen non-Aix that sounded lousy. Funny how a disk can strike you differently at different times. Last night I watched "For All Mankind", all NASA footage from the Apollo moon shots. I recommend IT too. Listened last night to the verbal commentary for first time. The guy that made the disk and the last man on the moon are talking. Long, long sequences out on the moon's surface. Long shots out across the rock-strewn ground with mountains beyond. Riding in the lunar excursion vehicle, built, BTW by my company, GM. I worked in the 50-story General Motors building at 767 Fifth Ave in New York 1970-1981. They had one of these vehicles sitting in the lobby for a year or so. The last man to set foot on the moon (in 1972) said this as he stepped off the LEM: "That may have been a small step for Neil, but it was a big step for me"- (laughter in the control room). Great disk. NASA took the film canisters out of liquid nitrogen storage and let this guy make prints from the negatives (!), better than the prints NASA originally made. So this ended and I put on Beatles Love. For about 65 minutes I just sat there hearing it and it sounded better than any earlier listening. Great little combo of disks, those two, BTW.

Gene Cernan was the last man on the moon (Commander of Apollo 17),the late and colorful Pete Conrad commander on Apollo 12 made that comment being one of the shortest astronauts at the time.

The lunar car was known as the lunar rover ,the LM was early on called the Lunar Excursion Module but this name was dropped prior to one actually flying.

Art


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



iRule rules my theater
 

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

 

Bob Marley

Art Sonneborn is offline  
post #112 of 595 Old 09-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
monsteraudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamMc View Post

Dr. Waldrep,

Any luck contacting Bela Fleck? As I said before, he seemed rather interested in the prospect of working with you and I'd REALLY like to hear the result!! Keep up the great work!!

Graham

That would be great if it happened, hope Chick Corea plays keyboards, and Victor Wooten plays bass, I just bought live art and for a live recording I find it high quality.
monsteraudio is offline  
post #113 of 595 Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Opiate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

I'm retired from GM. Studied Accounting after GM, passed the CPA exam (probably Chartered Accountant to you), got an MS in Taxation. GM brought in a Holden rear wheel drive a couple years ago and called it Pontiac GTO. It failed utterly for zero styling. Now they will bring in another one and call it Pontiac G-8. A zero name if there ever was one. Apparently a big seller though there in Australia. The one with that big round tail-light under an outer plastic cover with a funny dip in the back-up light under that round tail light. How do you like that vehicle?

The Pontiac G8 is the derivative of our Holden Commodore VE.. it has a massive following here. The Pontiac GTO is the previous gen 2 door coupe version of the Commodore, and although it wasn't overly great in terms of looks, it was great fun to drive. Rumours are that the VE Commodore (and maybe your G8 if you're lucky) will also get a 7.0 litre (427ci, i think) V8 at the top end. Both the Commodore and the Ford Falcon are cult heroes here.


Back on topic... is there an Aussie distributor for the AIX records? Or would I be better off purchasing from the website?

I'm definitely looking forward to giving one or two a tryout, that's for sure.

Cheers.
Opiate is offline  
post #114 of 595 Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Newbie
 
Sunbreak Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

I put my order in for "guitar noir"......hoping to get it by the weekend. Samples on website sounded pretty good. Any other acoustic recommendations?

The Peppino D'Agostino disc is great! I prefer his playing and "vibe" to that of Juber, but the percussionist that accompanies him is a complete virtuoso and amazing to watch as well.
Sunbreak Music is offline  
post #115 of 595 Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dr. AIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We used to have a relationship with Rockian Trading in Australia but they begged off...too expensive and not enough demand. We're happy to service our Australian customers [and we have quite a few...thanks] directly through the website.

In fact, given our size and the brainless sales reps at the distribution channels...I much prefer to build a relationship with customers. We'll always stand behind the products.

The other comment about Peppino vs. Laurence is fair. They are different in style and emotional capacity. Peppino is an Italian and his heart goes into every note...I prefer LJ's arrangements but there is less emotion in his stunning playing.
Dr. AIX is offline  
post #116 of 595 Old 09-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Opiate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

We used to have a relationship with Rockian Trading in Australia but they begged off...too expensive and not enough demand. We're happy to service our Australian customers [and we have quite a few...thanks] directly through the website.

In fact, given our size and the brainless sales reps at the distribution channels...I much prefer to build a relationship with customers. We'll always stand behind the products.

The other comment about Peppino vs. Laurence is fair. They are different in style and emotional capacity. Peppino is an Italian and his heart goes into every note...I prefer LJ's arrangements but there is less emotion in his stunning playing.

Thanks doc. I was talking to a guy who works at Audiotrends here in Melbourne last night actually. They're a specialist home AV installation company, and they deal with Rockian Trading for any audio as well.

He also mentioned he's looking at expanding their disc selection, so I told him when I get a couple AIX discs I'd bring them over for a demo. They're always looking for new demo discs so they're keen to have a listen.
Opiate is offline  
post #117 of 595 Old 09-27-2007, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dr. AIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks...maybe I should reach back out to Iam at Rockian.
Dr. AIX is offline  
post #118 of 595 Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Opiate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've ordered the Guitar Noir disc (seems to be the way to go), as well as the Bad Haggis disc... my missus is a highland dancer, and I didn't mind the sound of the sample provided to it so that should be an interesting listen.

Roughly how long can I expect to wait for these to arrive down under?
Opiate is offline  
post #119 of 595 Old 09-28-2007, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dr. AIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm not entirely sure how long U.S. Global Priority takes...let me know if you don't receive it within 7-10 days.
Dr. AIX is offline  
post #120 of 595 Old 10-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
fresno1232001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sure glad to hear the Holden Commodore VE is a big seller there in Australia since GM is taking the plunge with it here as the Pontiac G-8. The G-8 will have available a Corvette- derived 6.0 liter V-8 with 365 hp, GM says. Yanks can see the Commodore VE at www.holden.com.au/www-holden. See there also their big gorgeous sedan, the Statesman. Wish GM would bring it in too. On topic, I have urged GM to install DVD-A capable players in their cars, the way Acura does. I also urged them to hire Mark Waldrep to produce a demo DVD-A with some of his tracks to demo the system for buyers. Acura hired Waldrep to do that after listening to 200 other, non-Aix DVD-As.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate View Post

The Pontiac G8 is the derivative of our Holden Commodore VE.. it has a massive following here. The Pontiac GTO is the previous gen 2 door coupe version of the Commodore, and although it wasn't overly great in terms of looks, it was great fun to drive. Rumours are that the VE Commodore (and maybe your G8 if you're lucky) will also get a 7.0 litre (427ci, i think) V8 at the top end. Both the Commodore and the Ford Falcon are cult heroes here.


Back on topic... is there an Aussie distributor for the AIX records? Or would I be better off purchasing from the website?

I'm definitely looking forward to giving one or two a tryout, that's for sure.

Cheers.

fresno1232001 is offline  
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off