Special AVS Deal From AIX Records - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 595 Old 08-15-2008, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know. It should be a revelation, and I for sure will post my impressions. A couple of people now have the new Pioneer SC-07 in their homes. The Pioneer Store at South Coast Plaza has them (and has one set up and playing), but I think only that store at this point. BB says 9-29-2008. List is $2200. But I have just been looking at the Denon AVR-4308, list $2,699.98, out for about a year. Both are 140W x 7. I will be interrogating the owners as to what the Pioneer has over the Denon, besides being a year newer. I'm indifferent to a $500 diff. on something I'll have 10 years. I suspect that these two are quite similar. (I shan't pay list, of course).

Dr. Waldrep- Care to weigh in on this choice? It will be your zeros and ones that will be flowing through whatever I buy. (Sorry for the OT, but a big decision for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

fresno, I can't wait for your impressions on the surround mixes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 595 Old 08-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Just got my package if AIX goodies today. I just finished listening to Guitar Noir. I never thought my Polk Monitors could sound so good. I'm ordering Salk Song Towers in a few weeks. I'm sure they would sound even better. Can't believe the clarity and detail. I've bought a dozen SACDs and DVD-As. None of them sound this good. My wife was also impressed. Thanks for the recommendations Fresno. I'll be making another order tomorrow.

Thanks Dr. AIX, I really need the relaxing music after fighting crime all day.
post #183 of 595 Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

scottwayne, did you get Moonlight Acoustica too? it's on the sampler disc and ... its bliss on a disc.

fresno I'm sure you jumpt into the amps/receivers area - there are lots of reviews there

Boo!
post #184 of 595 Old 08-16-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Thanks Scott for the kind comments.

I've been spending a bunch of time in the studio mixing the 7.1 versions of a bunch of our tracks for use in the upcoming AIX Records BluRay sampler. We actually made our first test disc yesterday...yes it's possible to create a BD disc without it costing an arm and a leg.

Anyway, I have a recording of Wallace Roney doing a verion of "Just My Imagination". He's playing his trumpet with a Harmon Mute...that is producing high frequencies to die for. My assistant was getting dizzy from the amount of supersonic content and decided to measure it. The spectral analysis showed lots of very high stuff going up to well over 35 kHz. It's the sound of a real instrument.

Very sweet track with amazing playing. I may post the list for the new sampler but thought I would ask for any suggestions from this group.
post #185 of 595 Old 08-16-2008, 04:02 PM

Cold,

Just started listening to the Sampler Disc. The sample from Moonlight Acoustica is simply fantastic. Gotta have this one. I also liked "Cold Outside", Lowen and Navarro. Again, I'm a huge, huge fan of guitar greats like B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Steve Miller, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. Tomorrow I'll be giving Ernest Ranglin a listen. Thanks again for the recommendations.
post #186 of 595 Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will there be anyway for me to access the DVD-A mixes on all of my many AIX discs when I move on to BR soon?

I am a little (lot) in the dark about the newest tech out now that can support this wonderful music.
post #187 of 595 Old 08-19-2008, 02:49 PM

Dr. Waldrep- I see your post above about producing your first BR disk. Are you abandoning DVD-A? Or, perhaps more on target, are the BR player makers abandoning DVD-A?

I have just spent time looking at the new Pioneer BDP-05FD ($799) and the BDP-51FD ($599) BlueRay players. I need to know if either of these will play the DVD-A tracks on your current disks. I have just stared at Brand New Opry, Shastokovich and Mixtures. All 3 say DVD-Audio/Video and Digital DTS Surround.

Here is what the BDP-05FD says: "Elite BR players - audio decoders: Internal decoding for all advanced audio formats, including Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Hi Res, DTS-HD Master. Also provides bitstream audio over the HDMI jack of all of the above formats".

"The BDP-05FD is compatable with DVD-Video, DVD-R (video mode)/ RW (video mode) and CD Media. (and, of course, with BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE).

Then I looked at the display of logos for these two players. I see: DVD Video/R/RW, and CD, and Linear PCM, and Dolby Digital, and DTS-Surround, and Dolby Digital Plus.

Now, Dr. Waldrep, it appears to me that DVD-A is not included. I think your disks will play using the DTS-Surround format you also encode your disks in, but they will not play true DVD-Audio. Am I correct? If they will play DTS-Surround and you have that on your disks, I'll feel OK. I'm not at all sure I can hear a difference between DVD-A and DTS Surround. But I'd like your opinion on this.

If these and most other BR players won't play DVD-A, then the manufacturers have abandoned it and are driving a stake through its heart. If you are going to go to BD instead of DVD-A, that's not so bad. We can listen to the DTS-Surround format on your current disks in the BR players (or can we?? Maybe that DTS Digital Surround logo on the players means DTS-HD Hi Res and DTS-HD Master, and not the Digital DTS Surround on your current disks) and play the new BR disks you will be producing in the same players. We can even keep our current DVD-A players hooked up and listen to the DVD-A tracks on them. But that will only work till they konk out if nobody is going to be producing players that play the DVD-A format.

Your ruling on this please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon View Post

Will there be anyway for me to access the DVD-A mixes on all of my many AIX discs when I move on to BR soon?

I am a little (lot) in the dark about the newest tech out now that can support this wonderful music.

post #188 of 595 Old 08-19-2008, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Denon has stated (reported in another thread) that they will be incorporating SACD/DVD-A capability in later versions of their BD players. I'm fairly certain Oppo will too but there's no word from Pioneer or Yamaha

The Pansonic DMP-BD10 is one blu-ray player that also plays DVD-A (no SACD from Panasonic though)

Boo!
post #189 of 595 Old 08-19-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The Pansonic DMP-BD10 is one blu-ray player that also plays DVD-A (no SACD from Panasonic though)

I'm also hoping that Onkyo might incorporate DVD-A/SACD playback as well.

LG lists MLP with the BH200, but that (for right now) is only for Dolby TrueHD rather than DVD-A.

The only Blu-Ray player that plays SACD is the (non 40GB) PS3, not any of the Sony standalones.
post #190 of 595 Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Denon has stated (reported in another thread) that they will be incorporating SACD/DVD-A capability in later versions of their BD players. I'm fairly certain Oppo will too but there's no word from Pioneer or Yamaha

Right. Panasonic always supported DVD-A and not SACD.
Sony and Philips always supported SACD and not DVD-A.

So depending on who makes the player, you'll find different support. Except from the companies who were never part of on or the others format consortium, like Oppo, who supports both.

Fun huh? Bottom line is do research on the player end first.
And I think, to make sure it outputs 6 analog channels which DVD-A needs for MLP.
-t
post #191 of 595 Old 08-20-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The name Waldrep sounds familiar to me. Did you teach at CSUN by any chance?
post #192 of 595 Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM

Good Day All,

Just finished listening to Ernest Ranglin. This has been the best one yet. "Many Rivers to Cross" and "Hurts to be Alone" are simply amazing tracks. Definitely a MUST HAVE in your looking for surround music.

Dr. AIX,

How's the new sampler coming along? Also, I forgot to mention, your customer service person that helped me place my order was a delight. I just wish I could remember her name. Sorry.

Scott
post #193 of 595 Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

I have just spent time looking at the new Pioneer BDP-05FD ($799) and the BDP-51FD ($599) BlueRay players. I need to know if either of these will play the DVD-A tracks on your current disks

These two units do NOT play either DVD-A or SACD. But Pioneer still makes DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD players. So, it isn't toally dead. It remains to be seen if DVD-A/SACD will eventually get incorporated into their Blu-ray players.
post #194 of 595 Old 08-20-2008, 08:56 PM

Oh I realize one can still buy players that play DVD-A and SACD, and even both if we are not looking at a Panasonic or Sony player. The question is whether any Blue Ray players can or will also play one or both. I suppose one could buy a current player that plays DVD-A or SACD or both and stash it away against the day your current DVD-A player drops dead. And they do. I still have my wonderful Techniques SL-1300 direct-drive turntable with the orange strobe light, built like a battleship. But they sure don't build many digital disk players like that.

And I realize too that neither of the Pioneer BR players I mentioned play DVD-A or SACD, but my question for Dr. Waldrep was whether, given what they say about themselves, they will play his disks at all. Remember, AIX are dual-disks.

Also someone above said maybe OPPO's BR player, when it comes out, will play DVD-A and SACD. I emailed OPPO about a month ago and asked them that very question, adding that they will sell more players if it can. They emailed back and said they are indeed hard at work on their firt BR player, but, beyond that, any information whatsoever as to its capabilities was proprietary information. ("So there").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post

These two units do NOT play either DVD-A or SACD. But Pioneer still makes DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD players. So, it isn't toally dead. It remains to be seen if DVD-A/SACD will eventually get incorporated into their Blu-ray players.

post #195 of 595 Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh I realize one can still buy players that play DVD-A and SACD, and even both if we are not looking at a Panasonic or Sony player. The question is whether any Blue Ray players can or will also play one or both. I suppose one could buy a current player that plays DVD-A or SACD or both and stash it away against the day your current DVD-A player drops dead. And they do. I still have my wonderful Techniques SL-1300 direct-drive turntable with the orange strobe light, built like a battleship. But they sure don't build many digital disk players like that.

And I realize too that neither of the Pioneer BR players I mentioned play DVD-A or SACD, but my question for Dr. Waldrep was whether, given what they say about themselves, they will play his disks at all. Remember, AIX are dual-disks.

Also someone above said maybe OPPO's BR player, when it comes out, will play DVD-A and SACD. I emailed OPPO about a month ago and asked them that very question, adding that they will sell more players if it can. They emailed back and said they are indeed hard at work on their firt BR player, but, beyond that, any information whatsoever as to its capabilities was proprietary information. ("So there").

The only manufacturer that has stated they will manufacture a Blu-Ray player with SACD and DVD-A playback is Denon. Siriuslycold said that several posts back. (The smart money says Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Meridian, Krell and others will eventually join the party. When? is anyone's guess.)

As to Pioneer, every Blu-Ray player they put out will read and play the legacy DD/DTS tracks of a hybrid DVD-A (but not the MLP layer). Every player they put out except their first non-CD playing one will read and play the legacy CD layer of a hybrid SACD. This is true of pretty much every Blu-Ray player out there from the relatively inexpensive Insignia to the expensive Denon and Eios players.
post #196 of 595 Old 08-24-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

I've been spending a bunch of time in the studio mixing the 7.1 versions of a bunch of our tracks for use in the upcoming AIX Records BluRay sampler. We actually made our first test disc yesterday...

Interesting news. 7.1 versions are the only good reason I can think of for issuing music on Blu-Ray rather than DVD-A, and this is the first I've heard of somebody making some. Do you know of anyone else who's mixing music in 7.1 for Blu-Ray? Or, more to the point, do you find it a big improvement over 5.1? I'm afraid to think of what the future holds -- albums with three or more surround versions on the same disc, I suppose.
post #197 of 595 Old 08-30-2008, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

1. Yes I both attended and taught at CSUN a long time ago.

2. Fresno...DualDiscs are two sided discs that combine CDs and DVDs. Very few of my projects are DualDiscs. Most are regular two-sided DVDs.

3. I've been mixing 7.1 mixes (both audience and stage) for the past couple of weeks. It's very cool. THe BD format for me is all about great visuals AND great audio. As a music only format...not interesting. I would stick with DVD-Audio and an OPPO player.

Got to run...just thought I would say hello.
post #198 of 595 Old 09-01-2008, 01:45 PM

Dr. Waldrep- I am one of your most loyal customers, as you know. All I was asking was "Will your disks play AT ALL in the BlueRay players?" You didn't glean that from what I wrote?

Your disks are not dual-disks. OK. They have a blue label side and a red-label side. The Sony BR players I mention above apparently will not play the red label side in 96 kHz sampling rate, 24-bit word length DVD-Audio.

Will they play the blue side?

I am staring at the back of the Mixtures I case. It says "compatible with DVD-Audio/Video". Does that mean it will play in a BR player that does not claim to play DVD-As?

Quote:

1. Yes I both attended and taught at CSUN a long time ago.

2. Fresno...DualDiscs are two sided discs that combine CDs and DVDs. Very few of my projects are DualDiscs. Most are regular two-sided DVDs.

3. I've been mixing 7.1 mixes (both audience and stage) for the past couple of weeks. It's very cool. THe BD format for me is all about great visuals AND great audio. As a music only format...not interesting. I would stick with DVD-Audio and an OPPO player.

Got to run...just thought I would say hello.

post #199 of 595 Old 09-01-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Fresno, let me give it a try:

AIX Dual discs (DVD + CD) will play on BR players. Both as a DVD or a CD.

Now, whether high bitrate PCM on the DVD side is supported by a given player, you need to look at the player specs.

A DVD-Audio format disc will play on the Panasonic BR player.

Moving forward, all the features and benefits of DVD-A are built-in to BluRay + Dolby TrueHD.

Matter of fact, the internals of TrueHD are basically the DVD-A audio spec, right down to the Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) encoding.

So while we will miss DVD-A, as long as one has a BR player, there will be a source of high-resolution multichannel audio.

My recommendation: just get a decent universal DVD player with SACD and DVD-A support and be look for the best BR player without compromising for legacy features.
post #200 of 595 Old 09-01-2008, 04:17 PM

JonFo- Thank you. So Aix disks, and I own ~30 of them, WILL play on BR players, to SOME extent, at least. They will play as a DVD or a CD (red side and blue side, respectively?). And whether the high bitrate PCM on the DVD-Audio side is supported depends on the BR player's specs.

The Sony BR players I mentioned above don't have the required specs. No big surprise, since Sony backed SACD and Panasonic backed DVD-A. I currently play my Aix DVD-As in a Panasonic S-97 DVD player that does have the needed specs. It seems, therefore, that a Panasonic BR player may be the way for me to go when I buy a BR player.

Where you say "all the features and benefits of DVD-A are built-in to BlueRay + Dolby True HD" that is not to say that a BR player sporting Dolby True HD- (and all of them will)- can play my current Aix DVD-As. It IS to say that great, now 7.1 channel, surround sound will be offered with BR + Dolby True HD. Yes, it sure will be, but that is NOT to say that such a player will necessarily be backward compatible with the DVD-A standard.

AND even though, as you say, the internals of TrueHD are basically the DVD-A audio spec, right down to the Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) encoding, that does not mean that a TrueHD capable BR player will properly play a DVD-A disk. Back when TrueHD was introduced as a standard, I sort of assumed that, because it basically IS the DVD-A spec, TrueHD BR players would play DVD-A disks properly. Dr. Waldrep told me that I was wrong in that assumption and that they are two different standards. That was more than a year ago.

And you add "WHILE WE WILL MISS DVD-A, as long as one has a BR player, there will be a source of high-resolution multichannel audio". That source just won't be the current AIX DVD-A disks. If Dr. Waldrep elects to start producing hi-res multi-channel BR disks, we'll have AIX disks to listen to going forward.

If he does not, we'll have to buy a Panasonic BR player that supports DVD-A or stash away a couple of current DVD-A players, like the current Oppos, against the day that our current DVD-A player blows up.

I agree with your final paragraph, (and I agree with everything else you say, when I really spin out the logical consequences, as I have done here). "Buy a decent universal DVD player with SACD and DVD-A support and look for the best BlueRay player without compromising for legacy features". That is fine, but I want to state a fear I have. If the BR players are not going to support SACD and DVD-A, then SD players that DO support them are probably going to disappear. As I said in a post above, if my Panasonic DVD and DVD-A player- the S-97- were built like my Tecnics SL-1300 turntable, I would not be fearful. But it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

Fresno, let me give it a try:

AIX Dual discs (DVD + CD) will play on BR players. Both as a DVD or a CD.

Now, whether high bitrate PCM on the DVD side is supported by a given player, you need to look at the player specs.

A DVD-Audio format disc will play on the Panasonic BR player.

Moving forward, all the features and benefits of DVD-A are built-in to BluRay + Dolby TrueHD.

Matter of fact, the internals of TrueHD are basically the DVD-A audio spec, right down to the Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) encoding.

So while we will miss DVD-A, as long as one has a BR player, there will be a source of high-resolution multichannel audio.

My recommendation: just get a decent universal DVD player with SACD and DVD-A support and be look for the best BR player without compromising for legacy features.

post #201 of 595 Old 09-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

JonFo- ....
I agree with your final paragraph, (and I agree with everything else you say, when I really spin out the logical consequences, as I have done here). "Buy a decent universal DVD player with SACD and DVD-A support and look for the best BlueRay player without compromising for legacy features". That is fine, but I want to state a fear I have. If the BR players are not going to support SACD and DVD-A, then SD players that DO support them are probably going to disappear. As I said in a post above, if my Panasonic DVD and DVD-A player- the S-97- were built like my Tecnics SL-1300 turntable, I would not be fearful. But it is not.

Having been a big user of my own S97 player for the past 2.5 years on a daily basis for many hours per day, I'm curious why you think this player is not built adequately? What problems has it given you?

In any regard find a BR player that will support DVD-A and/or get another DVD-A player.

-t
post #202 of 595 Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM

I bought my S97 in November, 2005, so coming up on three years ago. I love it. The only minor gripe I have, and it truly minor, is that if it is playing a DVD or DVD-A and I want to stop the disc by hitting stop, it makes sort of a grinding noise as it stops. If I want to jump through scenes of a movie, it may do that too. You are playing a movie and hit "return" on the remote and you get the grinding noise as it takes you back to the main menu page of the movie. It does not damage disks by doing that, so who cares? It is minor.

I just get the impression that the S97 is rather fragile. Maybe I am totally wrong, and I sure hope so. The little spin motors these players use are nothing like the big direct-drive motors in the Technics SL-1300 turntable. That's what I'm talking about. I have seen numerous people on AVS say "my player died". Ever seen that?

SO, I am concerned about having my current S97 be my only player that can play my $800 investment in DVD-As.

You say I should find a BlueRay player that will support DVD-As or get another DVD-A player. I just spent an hour googling "Blue Ray player and DVD-A". I found exactly ONE BR player that plays DVD-As: The three or four-year-old now- Panasonic BD-10. Know what list was for it? $1500. You see old banners from 2005 discussing it. I am not sure it is even still on the market now. Other than that, I find NO BR players that play DVD-A right now. Surprised? I was.

Oppo has not confirmed that their BR player will play DVD-A. I find discussion of an upcoming Denon that will- coming at the end of 2009 maybe. Price: $3,000!!! No thanks.

Where I mention Sony BR players in a post just up above, I meant to say Pioneers. I gave a couple of model numbers and they are for Pioneers. They won't play DVD-As, not play them right anyway.

I got kicked off by my ISP a while ago when posting just up above. What I wanted further to say was that if the BR players won't play DVD-As right, we really should lay in an extra DVD player that plays DVD-A if we love the format. I think I shall. I just looked again at the current Oppo flagship, the DV-988H for $399. I have some money burning a hole in my pocket, so I think I'll haul off and buy one. I hope my Panny S97 outlives me, but I just have a bad feeling about that.

The Panny BD-10, and I remember it from 2005- is probably obsolete now as a BR player. It may not have decoded Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. So that leaves us with zero BR players that play DVD-A right. OPPO may produce one, or it may not, and it may be in late 2009 that it comes out. I say, buy an Oppo now and stash it, once you test it.

For the poster up above who was responding to me, where he said we will have great 7.1 channel surround hi rez sound. Sure we will, FOR MOVIES, none of the modern ones of which I buy. The art of making movies is now a lost art. I buy the old film-noirs from the 40's, lots of them. Double Idemnity is my favorite movie- 1944. But how does he think we will have great hi-res MUSIC audio- MUSIC-- in the Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio. We won't have unless Dr. Waldrep goes to those formats. Why do I say that? Because he is the only person capable of carefully and skillfully recording hi rez music, apparently. All the other DVD-As ever put out, with the exception of Beatles Love, have been pretty awful. They took the old tapes from decades ago and just threw them on DVD-As.

So it will be us stashing some DVD-A players for when ours die, or Dr. Waldrep going over to BR for his productions if we want to hear great hi-res music in multi channel lossless.

I get the impression that Dr. Waldrep is at a cross-roads, not sure of whether to continue producing in the DVD-A format, or whether to go to BR 7.1. I think with BR coming on strong, DVD will fade, and, with it, DVD-A, both in terms of disks (AIX is about alone in producingnew ones) and in terms of players. As I say, I buy a LOT of SD old movies because I doubt that many of them will ever appear on BR. Maybe the whole catalog of film noir will come out on BR, but I am doubtful.

You can see hot and heavy discussion (speculation) about DVD-A playing BR players by clicking on the "Blue-Ray and HD DVD" area just above the "Audio area". Then click on "Blue Ray Players". Then click on the thread "Blue Ray Players with DVD-Audio and SACD". It is two pages long and most of it was posted in July, 2008, so it is a hot topic. One guy on page 2 gives a good rant about the abandonment of DVD-A by the BR makers. "There that goes- not enough PROFIT in it to support it". My feeling exactly. Another rip off by the equipment makers.

I'm back two days later now, today being Thursday, Sept. 4, 2008. I just looked at a comparison Audioholics did between the Oppo dv-983h ($399) and the Denon DVD 3930CI ($1,499). Both are standard def upconverting dvd players that play DVD-A and SACD. Note that price difference. Audioholics basically cannot detect a differece between them in video or audio.

I just googled the Panasonic S-97, my upscaling dvd player that plays DVD-Audio but not SACD. One big price service says "none of our hundreds of merchants currently carry this item". So it's gone with the wind!
Shame. I might buy a second one and stash it otherwise. I paid $279 in late 2005 and it got down to $225. Now gone!

So Denon MIGHT build a BR player that plays DVD-A- for $3,000! And Oppo will not say. I like the way someone up above says "Denon says it will produce one- someone told you that several posts back" without determining that it might appear in late 2009 and for three grand.

In another thead someone says "I hear Oppo is planning to produce a BR player that plays dvd-a". That's like saying "my friends are planning on going to the beach this weekend". Unless his friends are at the very top of the Oppo org., he's just guessing. Oppo refused to tell me.

I think we fans of DVD-A and SACD are being screwed once again by the equipment makers. You want to sell BR players? Here's how. You don't support DVD-A. When the fans of DVD-A see that, they quit buying them since their player will die at some point and the BR players won't play them. So then the makers of DVD-A disks- read Dr. Waldrep- quit producing them. If the BR player makers are lucky, he starts making hi-rez multi-channel music disks that play on BR players. That stimulates the sale of BR players and kills the sales of upscaling DVD players that also play DVD-A.

I think this non-support of DVD-A by BR player makers has just caused DVD-A to hit a brick wall. None of you has picked up on that. I'm buying an Oppo now and stashing it against the day my Panny S-97 DVD, DVD-Audio player dies.

This whole things reeks like the way the CD was muscled onto the market. The record producers suddenly stopped producing LPs in the spring of 1983 and CRUSHED all the billions of them in record stores- at least in the U.S. Why? Because each one represented a loss of $10 since LPs were $4.95 - $7.95 and CDs were $10 more. (Because people in Mexico could not as readily afford CD players and the more expensive CDs, they kept producing and selling LP's in Mexico long after they disappeared in the U.S. In 1994 I bought ~20 LPs, all brand new, in a record store in downtown Guadalajara).

What REALLY happened there too was that the CD makers were careless as hell in making them. I have one CD that really sounds great. "Buena Vista Social Club" on the Nonesuch label. Be careful since there is at least one other album by that name and it's not on the Nonesuch label.

Dr. Waldrep- We really would like to hear from you on all of this.

Edit- I just looked at www.aixrecords.com and I see your comment there, Dr. Waldrep, that AIX will start producing BlueRay disks this fall. Great news. Lossless is lossless, so the SQ can't get much better, except it can be 7.1 in BR. The video will be better, but what you have been doing with the HD camera lately on the SD disks has been wonderful. I hope you have big success and sell LOTS of BR disks using your great skills and great care to produce wonderful audio (and video).

Man, AIX in hi-def with 7.1 channels of lossless audio. I'll be buying those, and I'll buy the Afro-Cuban-Latin Jazz disk in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknoguy View Post

Having been a big user of my own S97 player for the past 2.5 years on a daily basis for many hours per day, I'm curious why you think this player is not built adequately? What problems has it given you?

In any regard find a BR player that will support DVD-A and/or get another DVD-A player.

-t

post #203 of 595 Old 09-06-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Lots to read here...postings are getting longer.

Yep, I've been in 7.1 mixing heaven for the past couple of weeks. As I mentioned on the AIX Records site in the news area, AIX Records is going to be releasing some Blu-Ray discs with multiple 7.1 mixes!

The first is an update to our 3-year old sampler, which will now include a BD disc and a double sided DVD (DVD-Audio and DVD-Video). The BD disc is going to have 21 tracks (almost everything recorded in the past 3 years...Wallace Roney, John Gorka, Albert Lee etc) with Dolby TrueHD 7.1 encodes. There are going to be "stage", "audience" as well as a HD Audio PCM stereo track. We're experimenting with bitrates to maximize the video quality without losing the audio choices. It's a compromise on the video...but audio comes first!

My approach to the mixing has been to make the immersive quality of the mixes even more than the 5.1 stage mixes on the DVDs. The left and right surround back speakers will be mostly ambiance but will include some instruments (half of the stereo pairs of mics that I use).

They sound amazing. But this is lots of work because we have to restore all of the sessions from exabyte tapes to the hard drives...and we've only got one functioning exabyte drive right now. It's be grueling but the results are spectacular.

There will be four other BD products this fall. Shostakovich, Debussy and Brockman, Albert Lee, John Gorka and Ernest Ranglin. It hard making these things and expensive...ouch! I'm not sure how to price them...the licensing fees are way too high! I preferred HD-DVD...definitely a better technology and kinder on the wallet.

So that's the latest from AIX. Always a lot to do...now I'm back to it.
post #204 of 595 Old 09-06-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Dr. AIX, will you be using or engaging dial norm on your Dolby TrueHD soundtracks? Just wondering...
post #205 of 595 Old 09-06-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Dr.AIX,

I take it the Blu-ray disc will be the audio tracks along with the videos? It sounds like it would have something for everyone in there... I wonder if production costs are too high for you to consider working with Oppo and bundling a sampler with their new BD player by the time it comes out (maybe early next year)

Boo!
post #206 of 595 Old 09-08-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:

We're experimenting with bitrates to maximize the video quality without losing the audio choices. It's a compromise on the video...but audio comes first!

I preferred HD-DVD...definitely a better technology

Interesting, if you're feeling constrained with the bitrate on Blu-ray, imagine the constraints with the bitrate on HD DVD. Better technology?
post #207 of 595 Old 09-09-2008, 12:09 PM

Dr. Waldrep- All very interesting what you say re BR. I was surprised there is a bitrate capacity problem with BR, but then they never thought of someone putting both an audience and stage version of all the audio on a disk.
I had no plans to go from 5.1 to 7.1 for movies, but your using 7.1 for your music might make me do it. Will you be putting more content in the two side channels or in the two rear channels? I'm still planning to buy a Pioneer SC-07 receiver as soon as enough owners have posted about it. Best Buy shows it in their system for Sept. 29, 2008. A few people have it now.

Re the Oppo BDP-83 - a prototype of which was seen at CES, see extensive discussion of WHETHER IT WILL SUPPORT DVD-A by looking at the BlueRay players area just above the Audio Area here on AVS. Then look for the area that discusses BR players and then the thread re the Oppo BDP-83. In all of that someone posts a close-up of the red LED readout on the front of the prototype. This guy has tunneling electron microscope vision, not just eyes like a hawk. If you close the blinds and look just right at the picture he posts of that red LED, you see at the far left that it says CD and DVD on the bottom line and just above it on top line it says DVD-Audio!!! I could hardly believe that anyone could see that, but when I really tried, I see it too! That does not mean the final version will support DVD-A, but why would Oppo support SACD and not DVD-A? They say they have not made a decision on final specs yet, but people are really pulling for DVD-A support, maybe especially me.

See also the review of that prototype- just two pictures and discussion by audioholics from having stared at it at CES- on www.audioholics.com. Nobody's heard it apparently. It wasn't even shown at the Oppo booth but at the booth of the video processor it uses.

I've posted in there that no one is putting out SACDs now but one person is putting out fantastic DVD-As- Dr. Mark Waldrep- so why support the former but not the latter format. My personal opinion is that there's a .95 probability of the Oppo BDP-83 supporting DVD-A. They will if they are reading those threads, anyway.

OT- the hot LCD, and the best, IMO, is the 56" Samsung 650 series. It was on Amazon for $2,149.98 on Thurs. 9-4-08, with no interest for 24 mos., so less than $100 a mo. for 24 mos. It was on Amazon for $2199.98 with a $200 rebate, so $1,999.98 on 9-1(!). Even I can afford that. My recent experience at BB and CC is that if you bring in a print-out of these ads that they will go a LONG way to price match. Hell of a display.

Quote:

Dr.AIX,

I take it the Blu-ray disc will be the audio tracks along with the videos? It sounds like it would have something for everyone in there... I wonder if production costs are too high for you to consider working with Oppo and bundling a sampler with their new BD player by the time it comes out (maybe early next year)

post #208 of 595 Old 09-13-2008, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

So we're making progress on the BD sampler disc. We've successfully created a disc that allows you to select PCM 96 kHz/24-bits, Dolby TrueHD 7.1 "Stage" and Dolby TrueHD "Audience"...and have enough bandwidth for the HD Video. We are encoding using VC-1.

There are so many gotchas in the navigation and architecture...yes HD-DVD was definitely the better technology! But whatever.
post #209 of 595 Old 09-13-2008, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
When you finish this disc, I will get it, take it to a respectable audio/video store and have them demo it for me. That is the day I decide if I'll buy a BR player or not.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #210 of 595 Old 09-14-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Believe me I'm with you on the BD ownership situation. I've spent a fair amount of money acquiring the licenses (the AACSLA FEE, the logo fee, the per unit fee...none of which were part of the HD DVD thing BTW) AND the software to produce these things. I picked up a Panasonic player only to find it didn't support Dolby TrueHD.

And the receiver is whole other situation. I have a Denon 3808 that they gave me for a trade show...it has a Dolby TrueHD logo on it but I'm unsure about the player outputting a bitstream with TrueHD rather than PCM.

On the other hand, the mixes in 7.1 surround (stage perspective) are astounding AND coupled with HD Video of the sessions...I'm in heaven. But then again, I've been there since we set up our multichannel music server and the Benchmark DACs.

Back to work...it's Sunday and the phones don't ring.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page