Special AVS Deal From AIX Records - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 595 Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I come by the AVS Forum every so often and check out any questions or comments that members make regarding our little audiophile label. One recent member asked whether anybody had heard any AIX recordings and whether the recordings or artists were worth purchasing. Obviously, I believe this is the case...I've spent a lot of time and resources trying to elevate the standard of recorded music and push things in the direction of 5.1 surround sound. Many customers and reviewers agree.

I was just in London last week at the AES conference. I was invited to present a paper on the techniques that we use during our recording sessions. I also got the opportunity to play some our tracks in a pretty good 5.1 system [the left and right surrounds were a little too far back...but otherwise it was pretty high end]. The attendees stayed way past the closing hour listening to immersive surround and HD Audio...it was very encouraging.

If there are any AVS visitors that have not experienced our HD surround audio tracks, I would like to offer the following deal for our award-winning 29 track sampler disc. I usually provide this disc free with any $50 purchase...but I will gladly include it with any order of a single disc. This is only for AVS forum readers...but if you mention in the comments field the deal for the free High Resolution Audio Experience disc, I will send it along without any additional charge. Take a listen to the tracks [including the Demmy Award winner "Mosiac" by Laurence Juber] and let me know what you think. I'm also willing to refund your money, including the shipping costs, if you don't agree that the sampler contains some of the best recordings you've ever heard.

My mission is to let consumers, other engineers and record labels know that music listening can be much better than it currently is. But you've got to have a REAL HD Audio experience to be able to hear the difference.

Thanks again to all of the AVS readers that have supported our little effort...it does help to read encouraging comments. I'm also reiterating an offer to any local Los Angeles readers to come by the studio some time and hear what I hear in my room. Just write me an email...and we'll set up something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 595 Old 04-15-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
website link?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 595 Old 04-15-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry for not posting a link to our label's web site...I want to be very careful not to abuse the privledge of being a member of this community to discuss things that are important to lovers of well-recorded music.

If you search for AIX Records...you'll find us.
post #4 of 595 Old 04-15-2007, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10
Well worth the price
http://www.aixrecords.com

I have
Laurence Juber - Guitar Noir
Blueshead - Blue Me Away
Dorian Michael - Acoustic Blues
Peppino D'Agostino - Acoustic Guitar
Vantage Point - Resolution
Cheryl Bentyne - Among Friends

very pleased

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
post #5 of 595 Old 04-15-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

I was just in London last week at the AES conference. I was invited to present a paper on the techniques that we use during our recording sessions. I also got the opportunity to play some our tracks in a pretty good 5.1 system [the left and right surrounds were a little too far back...but otherwise it was pretty high end]. The attendees stayed way past the closing hour listening to immersive surround and HD Audio...it was very encouraging.

Dr. AIX,

Would it be possible to post any or all of the presentation you gave? I would be interested to learn about the recording techniques you use to better appreciate the music. Thanks.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 595 Old 04-15-2007, 04:59 PM

Please see the thread I started, now on page 2 of this forum, "AIX Records DVD-A's Fantantic". That pretty much sums up my reaction. They are the best-sounding recorded music I have ever heard. I just ordered 5 more of them. Bach's "Brandenburg Concerto" is just great. The more I see and hear "Brand New Opry" the more I feel that when you consider the video and the stunning audio, it ranks with "Rumors". "Nitty Gritty Surround" is stunning too. Dr. Waldrep stands head and shoulders above anyone else producing DVD-As, in my opinion. I tell people about AIX, on the theory that if you want a product or record label to survive, it is smart to develop new patrons for it. I also like to just spread the knowledge that there is a fantastic audio (and video) product available that most people are unaware of.
I feel SO strongly about AIX DVD-As that I am going to email the White House and recommend that the National Endowment for the Arts provide a grant of millions of dollars to Dr. Waldrep to make DVD-As of major performers so that their talents will be preserved. Artists such as Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Fleetwood Mac, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carly Simon, the surviving two Beatles, et. al. have never been recorded with the fidelity that AIX Records DVD-As make possible. They should be.
I was talking to Axiom Audio about their speakers the other day, and I told that person about AIX. Soon, everybody at Axiom will be ordering Aix discs, I am sure. If Axiom is smart, and they are, they should demo their speakers at shows like CES in Las Vegas using AIX DVD-A's. Of course, if they are honest, and they are, they will have to disclose what source material they are using as well.
I urge anyone on this forum to try Aix DVD-A's and then tell people about them. That last part is important if we want the label to survive and prosper. I have talked to Mark Waldrep on the phone, and he is extremely knowledgable and enthusiastic about hi-res audio. He can't afford millions for advertising, and so we have to help this very gifted and skilled practitioner of the finest in recorded music survive in the marketplace and keep offering the very superior product he produces. He is something of a national treasure. Try one of his records. I think you will just be stunned and you will tell others about AIX.

]
post #7 of 595 Old 04-15-2007, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ordered the "Brand New Opry" along with the sampler disc. Thanks for the free sampler .
I will use the sampler disc to decide on some others I'm interested in. I already have a few of their discs, so I'm looking forward to the new sampler disc (I have an older one and it's great).

Interested in:
Nitty Gritty Surround
Lizbeth Scott
Moonlight Acoustica
Surrounded by Christmas
Dorian Michaels
Peppino D'Agostino

will probably order most of these soon too.
Some of these discs I'm interested in don't have excerpts to listen to, so if anyone would like to recommend them (or any others) feel free.
post #8 of 595 Old 04-15-2007, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a few of the titles and am very happy. If there is only one criticism I have of the discs, is that they are two sided and so there is no art on the side of the disc and you have to be extra careful when handling them

As for sonic quality - unparalleled!

Larry
post #9 of 595 Old 04-16-2007, 03:11 PM
TL1

I now have over a dozen AIX tiles in my collection and they are by far the most played disks. The quality is outstanding on both sides but I enjoy the DVD-A side most. When I demo my system it always with AIX material. A nice company to due business also. I just received the new Ernest Ranglin - Order of Distinction and it's quite good.
post #10 of 595 Old 04-16-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be very interested in your thoughts about the ER DVD...it took me almost two years to finish it. Lots of extras, including a trip to Jamaica to visit with Ernie.

Someone was interested to have me post additional audio samples for some of our older titles...I've just finished putting up clips for a bunch of our releases. Peppino D'Agostino, Patrice Rushen, Paul Smith and the Christmas DVD...

Thanks very much for the very positive reviews. The response to my AVS special and the newsletter Tax Day Offer have been terrific! Thanks to everyone.
post #11 of 595 Old 04-19-2007, 06:42 PM
TL1

I finally had a chance to sit down and watch the Ernest Ranglin - Order of Distinction DVD and extras. It was a remarkable piece of work. I had no idea of the influence he had and all the people he played with over the years. I really enjoyed the tour of his home, his guitars and his memorabilia. Thanks for archiving his work for musical history. The DVD audio is superb.
post #12 of 595 Old 04-19-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your positive reaction...I've spent the better part of 2 years working on this title. Ernest Ranglin is a national treasure of Jamaica and one of the kindest souls I've ever had the chance to work with. He taught himself to play the guitar and achieved a level of success that he could not have imagined. It's time the world discovered one of the true greats of jazz guitar. The playing, the music and the honesty of this man is really special. I'm thrilled that I was able to be a part of documenting it.

Thanks again.
post #13 of 595 Old 04-21-2007, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just got and listened to Steve Pierson and Blues Head. Absolutely fantastic, great sound and performance Definitely at the top of my Hi-Def music collection. Then I listened to the sampler, the question isn't "if" I'll buy more from AIX, it's "what" will I buy, I liked pretty much everything on the samplers, even stuff I normally don't listen to.

Thanks a bunch,
Tom
post #14 of 595 Old 04-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post

Then I listened to the sampler, the question isn't "if" I'll buy more from AIX, it's "what" will I buy, I liked pretty much everything on the samplers, even stuff I normally don't listen to.

Thanks a bunch,
Tom

ditto i received Cheryl Bentyne today, and i have to say it's the 1st music disk that i have listened to thru the whole disk.
post #15 of 595 Old 04-21-2007, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Somebody once posted that I was something like a drug dealer...one little taste and I've got you hooked. If only the real drug dealers were pushing HD Surround Sound...the world would be a different place.

Check out the samples of John Gorka that are on the web site...he's absolutely one of my favorites. His songs, great voice and the music all come together in the perfect combination. Have a great weekend gents and thanks as always.
post #16 of 595 Old 04-22-2007, 02:03 PM

David- Of the titles you list I have only "Nitty Gritty Surround" and I highly recommend it. It was performed live (without an audience) on the stage of the historic Fox Theater in Hanford, California here in California's vast Central Valley.
Others I have and highly recommend are "The Brand New Opry" (with many of the same performers as on "Nitty Gritty Surround").
Stravinsky and Ravel "Firebird Suite/Bolero".
Bach's "Brandenburg Concerto No.s 3 and 5". You see here why Bach is developing such a following and could go all the way.
The Surf City Allstar Band "I Get Surround". Just great and a real anti-depressant if you ever need one.
I now have 12 Aix DVD-As and two samplers, and all are stunning audio. I'll buy more, if you didn't pick up on that. The five above are my favorites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post

Ordered the "Brand New Opry" along with the sampler disc. Thanks for the free sampler .
I will use the sampler disc to decide on some others I'm interested in. I already have a few of their discs, so I'm looking forward to the new sampler disc (I have an older one and it's great).

Interested in:
Nitty Gritty Surround
Lizbeth Scott
Moonlight Acoustica
Surrounded by Christmas
Dorian Michaels
Peppino D'Agostino

will probably order most of these soon too.
Some of these discs I'm interested in don't have excerpts to listen to, so if anyone would like to recommend them (or any others) feel free.

post #17 of 595 Old 04-22-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The Brand New Opry disc arrived...took a quick listen, it's great. Fresno, thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely be ordering the Nitty Gritty Surround. Unfortunately they sent me the old sampler instead of the new one. I'm sure they'll send me the new High Resolution Audio Experience disc once I call. And I know I won't be able to resist ordering more while I have them on the phone. People: the sampler discs are worth every bit as much as any title they sell, so you're really getting two discs for the price of one. Of course you can't listen to the thing without having to buy more .
post #18 of 595 Old 04-22-2007, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

David,

I guess the flurry of last week got ahead of Joplin at the order desk...sorry about the wrong sampler disc. We'll get that straightened out. Brand New Opry is one of my favorites as well...Lowlands is the perfect acoustic song and rendition.

Most of the other titles on your list above have got audio samples now...I spent a bunch of time getting almost all of the main titles done. The classical ones are coming.

BTW I would but full length demonstration tracks on the samplers but it would mean that you get less variety. The point of the High Resolution Audio Experience disc was to show the diversity and various mixes. Back to working on iTrax...later.
post #19 of 595 Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Dr. AIX,

I just ordered "A Brand New Opry" (with the sampler disc not in my cart). I put in the comments that I was an avsforum member and I put my forum name on. Is that it? Am I set? I'm excited!

If you've had half as much fun reading this post as I've had writing it, well then, I've had twice as much fun writing this post as you've had reading it.
post #20 of 595 Old 04-23-2007, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

No problem...if you mention AVS you'll get the sampler. Let me know what you think...
post #21 of 595 Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got off the phone with Joplin and have the Sampler disc on the way along with Nitty Gritty Surround. thanks for putting up more audio samples, they really do help.....oh yeah, Joplin's very I think I'll be ordering by phone more often .
post #22 of 595 Old 04-23-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Joplin has been great but you'd better hustle up...she's decided to venture off and pursue her dream of being a big time DJ. She was one of my students and has spent a couple of years here...yes, she's been terrific.

I don't know what I'll do without her.
post #23 of 595 Old 04-23-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

I feel SO strongly about AIX DVD-As that I am going to email the White House and recommend that the National Endowment for the Arts provide a grant of millions of dollars to Dr. Waldrep to make DVD-As of major performers so that their talents will be preserved. Artists such as Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Fleetwood Mac, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carly Simon, the surviving two Beatles, et. al. have never been recorded with the fidelity that AIX Records DVD-As make possible. They should be. ]

Don't hold your breath waiting for the Bush White House to support the grant of millions of dollars for artists such as Joan Baez.
post #24 of 595 Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just wanted to say that I received my disk, "Brand New Opry" and sampler yesterday. The sound on the dvd-a side is awesome as are the videos in hd. Not going into work today until noon, so will get some good listens this morning.

Thx, for the suggestions and the fine dvd craftsmanship.

Frank

Frank, "Still the one"
post #25 of 595 Old 04-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Any reccomendations on an AIX disk to try? Their selection doesn't quite match up with my musical tastes. However, after reading the many rave reviews and now with the offer of the free sample, I've just got to pick up one of their disks. I'm generally a rock 'n roll type of guy (Procupine Tree, Peter Gabriel, REM, Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, etc. are in heavy rotation in my hi-rez player currently).

Thanks for any thoughts.
post #26 of 595 Old 04-27-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

To elee532: Any of their sampler discs are great for getting a taste of what they sell. The new sampler is still on the way to me. The older "start here" sampler which you can add to your cart for free with any order is great too. It has a bit of accoustic, blues, jazz, vocals, and classical. I really enjoy the video side to these as it adds a lot to the experience. Remember these are audio/video captured in an optimal environment with a live feel to it.
Since you mentioned The Beatles, I'd like to recommend the Laurence Juber - Guitar Noir disc. It's accoustic guitar, which may not be rock, but it's really enjoyable. There's tons of extras on the disc and a great rendition of The Beatles Strawberry Fields . If you can get both sampler discs along with this you're getting some great value and great music.
post #27 of 595 Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks David. I'm sure I could enjoy some good hi-rez acoustic guitar. I've got an Adrian Legg CD that always enjoy listening to.

Thanks
post #28 of 595 Old 04-28-2007, 04:00 AM
TL1

The Carl Verheyen Band - Rumor Mill is very good and more rock and roll. It is a great set with a very good piece on all his vintage guitars. It is a bit more $ but worth it. Very nice live concert is aslo included in HD video!
post #29 of 595 Old 04-28-2007, 05:16 PM

Just ordered a few disks today, looking forward to hearing them. Will definitely post a review once they arrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e6600 oc'd to 3.6
nvidia 680i
8800gts sli
x-meridian (modded opamps, cap bypass)
4gb corsair pc8500
raptor raid boot
post #30 of 595 Old 04-29-2007, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support from AVS readers...I must say I'm gald to be a part of this.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page