Anyone try the Superdisk yet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-07-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I went to my local BestBuy today to pick up a new SACD or DVD-A and they phased them . Anyway I saw an advert for Monster Audios Superdisc:
http://www.monstermusic.com/default.asp

Not a big selection but it's a start. I was going to pick one up but chickened out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-07-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reading the FAQ it looks to be surround mixes with dts and ac3. Wish it was higher resolution lossless audio such as Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD. I see they do stage and audience mix which is nice, kind of like what AIX is doing with their releases. DTS and dolby digital are ok, but not nearly as good as lossless audio can be....but better than nothing.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 PM

Liked: 10
Superdisc is over. Though reviews of the 4 or 5 discs marketed by Monster were generally positive, they aren't (weren't) hi-rez. My local RadioShack is clearing out the 3DD discs for $3.99.

TonyW
post #4 of 16 Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Liked: 12
Hey, I have that DVD from RS! Nice DVD for $5. But like David said above, they are not hi-rez, music or video wise. No comments about DVD-A, or specs to match.

Still, I'm tempted to get this Vince Guaraldi, A Charlie Brown Christmas
If you scroll down to the tech notes section, you will see where it explicitly states that it is not a DVD-A.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
library.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-10-2007, 08:15 PM

These Monster releases do contain a hi-rez program (24/96). I don't know if technically speaking they are DVD-A's. I believe DVD-A's need to be the the Meridian MLP format (but I could be wrong on that).

That said, I was very disappointed in the Vince Guaraldi A Charlie Brown Christmas release. The Fantasy SACD was MUCH better. Some of the instruments were buried in the mix with the Monster - you barely hear the bass.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-11-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I believe DVD-A's need to be the the Meridian MLP format (but I could be wrong on that).

No it don't need to be MLP. MLP is just a compression tool to fit MCH hi rez content[up to 5.1/ 24/96] onto a limited space discs.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #7 of 16 Old 07-11-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yea, I didn't think they were on par with DVD-A's or SACD's but maybe better than CD's at least.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
It's only DTS 96/24, nothing to get really excited about!

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #9 of 16 Old 07-11-2007, 05:04 PM

I bought 2 Superdiscs. I am a DVD-audio afficionado with over 100 discs and the best sounding discs are the Superdiscs and the AIX discs. The AIX discs are still available from their website. AIX has lesser known artists.

The George Benson/Al Jarreau Superdiscs is simply the best sounding disc I have ever heard. This includes my collection of 1/2 speed master LP's and SACD's. It is in DTS 96/24 which may technically make it DVD video because it is not a truly lossless format.

The Ray Charles Superdisc sounds good, but that was a remaster, not a start to finish surround 96/24 product like the disc "Breezin" by Jarreau.

If you want a true reference disc and you have a DVD player that can decode DTS 96/24 "Breezin" is a great choice.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-11-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

No it don't need to be MLP. MLP is just a compression tool to fit MCH hi rez content[up to 5.1/ 24/96] onto a limited space discs.

Yes, but for all intents and purposes, it's the only codec we currently have to get hi-rez 5.1/ 24/96 from a disc labeled DVD-A. And I do believe MLP was initially part of the required specifications for the DVD-A format. If that's changed, I haven't heard of it.

TonyW
post #11 of 16 Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotguy8289 View Post

Yes, but for all intents and purposes, it's the only codec we currently have to get hi-rez 5.1/ 24/96 from a disc labeled DVD-A. And I do believe MLP was initially part of the required specifications for the DVD-A format. If that's changed, I haven't heard of it.

That's correct, however MLP is not a codec, nor it's required for 2 ch tracks. The problem is that people equate MLP with DVD-A, just like they think LFE is the subwoofer channel. Both incorrect.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #12 of 16 Old 07-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Liked: 14
My two cents. DVD-A is a very flexible format. It can present lots of different sample rates [44.1, 48, 88.2, 86, 176.4 & 192 kHz...although the last two only in stereo] and word sizes 16,20,24 bits. The spec allows audio without encoding...in PCM for stereo [up to 192 kHz/24-bits] and surround [up to 48 kHz/24-bits]. Where MLP comes in [and yes it is a codec but a lossless one] is when you want 96 kHz/24-bits in 5.1 channels...it brings the total bandwidth down to within the max allowable on a DVD disc [around 10 Mbps].

Producers have the choice to use MLP or not. In fact, you can use MLP for a 48 kHz/24-bit PCM track just to make it smaller on the disc. MLP decoding is only available on DVD-Audio players.

96 kHz/24-bit PCM stereo is playable on DVD-Video players and does qualify as HD Audio [my preferred name these days], but only if the original recording was done at that spec or better. Taking an older analog tape or low resolution digital track and re-capturing it at 96 kHz/24-bits gives you everything that the original recording but is limited to the specs of the original. So, while I love older recordings that we well done...they are all limited to the analog tape spec or the low resolution digital spec.

That's why new tracks and new distribution methods [DVD-Audio and SACD] need to survive OR downloads at HD quality [iTrax.com].

My thoughts on the SuperDISC format. The Monster guys [both Noel and his son Kevin...I know them both] are trying a marketing approach to the world of HD Audio...but the tracks on their discs are limited to the audio specs of the DVD-VIdeo format [DTS, PCM at 96/24, DD] AND to the fidelity of the tracks during the original sessions. They do include the Dolby Headphone mixes, which is interesting but doesn't work for me. The Audience and Stage mix concept was "borrowed" from my label and that's a welcome move but the ultimate experience of HD Surround Music is not possible. Calling something HD Audio doesn't necessarily make it so.

I have all of their products [they gave them to me] and they've make a good attempt. But what the world needs is the REAL McCoy!
post #13 of 16 Old 07-14-2007, 05:23 PM

Dr. AIX,
Right on. The "Real McCoy" is only going to come from someone within the industry that believes in the music & technology (you), without big dollar signs diverting their attention (Monster). There's noticable chatter around about itrax.com. Get it online already, will you please?

TonyW
post #14 of 16 Old 07-14-2007, 06:10 PM

Nobody wants iTrax.com to be completed more than I do...but with tight resources, I'm dealing with a developer have around the world and it's moving slowly. We're actually pretty close, got a bunch of albums up and the core engine is working. Thanks for asking.

More as it happens.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-21-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post

Nobody wants iTrax.com to be completed more than I do...but with tight resources, I'm dealing with a developer have around the world and it's moving slowly. We're actually pretty close, got a bunch of albums up and the core engine is working. Thanks for asking.

More as it happens.

Dr. Aix,

Will you feature only AIX records music on itrax or it or other labels will be represented as well?
post #16 of 16 Old 07-21-2007, 08:51 AM

We'll have other labels...but only tracks that are really High Definition...nothing that has bee upsampled from SD digital or analog tape.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page