140Likes

post #271 of 10572 Old 02-11-2008, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot View Post

Josh. I never listened to the 2 channel version. Only multichannel SACD. Since it works just fine, I'll keep it. SO! Tell us. Did you like it? There are passages in there that simply make me emotional. One of my best investments.

Well, I just got the replacement disc Friday and I've been extremely busy so I've not had a chance to give it a spin. As soon as I do I'll post a review over at QuadraphonicQuad.com. Thanks for asking; I'm looking forward to it especially after reading your opinion!

Quote:

By the way, Telarc's other MTC recording is terrible. Weird but true.

Oooh, that's interesting you say that. I actually bought the Sound of Glory SACD along with the Christmas SACD and my wife and I have listened to Sound of Glory. Care to elaborate on that disc? We weren't blown away by that disc (good but not spectacular) and we just assumed it was our system being pushed to the limits, not the disc.

Quote:

Hummm...Telarc has lots of great stuff. But, I already own just about everything they have on my wish list. Getting two free ones would've been tough for me.

I'm just getting started on the classical/jazz portion of my hi-rez collection, so I'm new to Telarc. In that case, choosing 2 free SACDs was easy!

Best,
Josh

End LOUDNESS in Music; Fight for High-Resolution Surround Sound: Buy DVD-A/SACD!

Find me at: Last.fm and SA-CD.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 10572 Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 PM

Liked: 12
Just in tonight:

David Elias - The Window SACD

SACD library.
post #273 of 10572 Old 02-14-2008, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Mendelssohn--Italian and Reformation Symphonies Charles Munch and Boston Symphony Orchestra (RCA Living Stereo SACD)
post #274 of 10572 Old 02-14-2008, 10:39 PM

Today (well actually yesterday since it's past midnight) from Amazon Marketplace (micksmusedotcom):

Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day [DVD-A]
(New/Sealed)

Many more coming! I just love this hobby!
Josh

End LOUDNESS in Music; Fight for High-Resolution Surround Sound: Buy DVD-A/SACD!

post #275 of 10572 Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 AM

I went on a sountrack binge:

LOTR-ROTK to complete the set. Consensus seems to be it is the best of the three, so I am excited to finally have it on the way.

Close Encounters of the The Third Kind. Can't wait to hear the alien answer...hope they didn't screw it up.

AI. I have no idea what to expect here. I remember the score as being quite nice, but this was an impulse buy.

Still waiting for a high resolution version of the Star Wars soundtrack, George. Just sign the damned papers already.
post #276 of 10572 Old 02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCaniac View Post

Today (well actually yesterday since it's past midnight) from Amazon Marketplace (micksmusedotcom):

Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day [DVD-A]
(New/Sealed)

This is a great disc. The first track really gives your subwoofer a nice workout.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #277 of 10572 Old 02-15-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post

Still waiting for a high resolution version of the Star Wars soundtrack, George. Just sign the damned papers already.

Wow, can you imagine the boost high-resolution would receive if the complete Star Wars AND Indiana Jones scores were released on DVD-A or SACD?

I drool at the thought. . .

We can dream!

post #278 of 10572 Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wow, can you imagine the boost high-resolution would receive if the complete Star Wars AND Indiana Jones scores were released on DVD-A or SACD?

I drool at the thought. . .

We can dream!

What boost?

If released, no one would buy a hirez player just to enjoy these discs. If they were released on DVD-A, yes, people would be able to enjoy the multichannel DVD-V tracks with regular surround setups and players, and maybe a few more DVD-As would be sold because of this, but there would be no "boost to high-resolution".

Frankly, I'm not even sure most people realize that there is DVD-V content on DVD-As that can be accessed WITHOUT having a DVD-A-capable player. This fact has, unfortunately, been VERY poorly marketed and advertised.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #279 of 10572 Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

What boost?

I understand your cynicism, but I was reminded of the Love CD+DVD-A release, which has done very well (let's not start a Beatles vs. John Williams thing, it's just an analogy). If done properly (i.e., CD+DVD-A "Limited Editions"), I think it would entice some people to explore high-resolution. I'm not talking about a revolution or anything, just like a said, a "boost": a moderate increase in sales and a modest increase in visibility. Such releases would certainly do very well in the niche market, which I still believe is a profitable one if done properly. I'm not saying these would sell hundreds-of-thousands of copies, but it IS time to start thinking success/profits can be had on smaller scales. Every new (well-done) release helps. We still see newcomers here, at QQ, SA-CD.net, and other sites, so there is an interest; it's just not mainstream and that's OKAY!

Don't want to get into a back and forth about this though, unless it's in its own thread. Besides, mail call just came and I have two new discs to post! I definitely get what your saying though. Sorry for lighting a fire; as you can see I am very passionate about high-resolution audio and I am proud of that!

Best,
Josh

post #280 of 10572 Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM

Today from Amazon.com:

James Taylor - October Road [MC SACD]

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells [Hybrid MC SACD]

post #281 of 10572 Old 02-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post

You might want to check out Great Film Fantasies from Telarc.

It has ten tracks from the Starwars movies as performed by the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra (also has Harry Potter and LOTR). The imperial march is killer

SACD library.
post #282 of 10572 Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I understand your cynicism, but I was reminded of the Love CD+DVD-A release, which has done very well (let's not start a Beatles vs. John Williams thing, it's just an analogy). If done properly (i.e., CD+DVD-A "Limited Editions"), I think it would entice some people to explore high-resolution.

Well, how many of the CD/DVD-A combos were sold relative to the CD-only release? I know several people with non-hirez surround sound setups who own the CD-only version.

post #283 of 10572 Old 02-16-2008, 05:29 PM

Today from CircuitCity.com:
Alan Parsons - A Valid Path [DTS DualDisc]

And from J&R.com:
Big Phat Band - XXL [DVD-A]

post #284 of 10572 Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 AM

VH1 Divas Live - SACD

SACD library.
post #285 of 10572 Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
post #286 of 10572 Old 02-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Didn't you already have that one? Just curious.

SACD library.
post #287 of 10572 Old 02-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Mahler Symphony no. 3. Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic. Sony Music Japan SACD pressing.
post #288 of 10572 Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 AM

Today from ElusiveDisc.com:
Graham Nash - Songs For Survivors [DVD-A]
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Handel's Messiah [DVD-A]
BB King & Eric Clapton - Riding With The King [DVD-A]

post #289 of 10572 Old 02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers View Post

Didn't you already have that one? Just curious.

You're right, I have this SACD already. Since cdjungle.com was able to locate a source for this title, I am buying some additional copies as a collector's item.

post #290 of 10572 Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 AM

Ha! I've got an extra one for the same reason as well.

SACD library.
post #291 of 10572 Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 PM

David Bowie - Heathen

SACD library.
post #292 of 10572 Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers View Post

Ha! I've got an extra one for the same reason as well.

Actually, I ordered from cdjungle.com 3 extra copies of the "New York City" SACD. I, of course, will keep 1 for myself. The other 2 will be put up for sale to those who can't seem to locate the title anywhere. In fact, one of them has already been sold. I suppose I can jack the price up, but that just doesn't seem right.

post #293 of 10572 Old 02-26-2008, 04:58 AM

Yesterday from AVSForum member SSaull:
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly [DVD-A]

post #294 of 10572 Old 02-26-2008, 04:59 PM

Today from eBay:
Big Phat Band - Swingin' For The Fences [DVD-A]

(seller thm37 has dozens of new/sealed copies still available...my copy arrived in perfect condition with no promo cut-outs or other markings; only $7.95 including shipping for a highly regarded Silverline disc (how unusual is that!?) )

And from CircuitCity.com:
Trey Anastasio - Trey Anastasio [DVD-A]
Dave Grusin - Two For The Road: The Music of Henry Mancini [DVD-A]

Enjoying every minute of this spending spree!
Josh

post #295 of 10572 Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
KMO
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've just acquired a Denon DVD-3930, my first SACD/DVD-Audio player, so I'm on a multichannel music spending spree.

The latest arrivals are:

Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi [DVD-Audio]
Moloko - Statues [SACD]
Elton John - Elton John [SACD]
post #296 of 10572 Old 02-26-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post

I've just acquired a Denon DVD-3930, my first SACD/DVD-Audio player, so I'm on a multichannel music spending spree.

The latest arrivals are:

Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi [DVD-Audio]
Moloko - Statues [SACD]
Elton John - Elton John [SACD]

Nice player and congratulations! Have fun and keep posting your new purchases! Spend away! Check QuadraphonicQuad.com for reviews and other helpful info; it's how I got started a couple of years ago!
Josh

post #297 of 10572 Old 02-26-2008, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Marvin Gaye, "The Marvin Gaye Collection", "Ray Sings, Basie Swings" (thx Kal for recommending that one), Junior Wells, "Come on in this House". I also have Eric Clapton's "461 Ocean Blvd" on the way as well as AIX' DVD-A's, "Tried and True" and Lowen and Navarro's, "Carry on Together" on the way. Can't wait for those two dvd-a's.

Frank

Frank, "Still the one"
post #298 of 10572 Old 02-27-2008, 03:17 AM
KMO
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Nice player and congratulations! Have fun and keep posting your new purchases! Spend away!

I have been. Been collecting the actual discs for well over a year now - was woken up to multichannel music by Pink's I'm Not Dead, which I stumbled across in a shop as a DualDisc - I'd never heard of DualDisc. That got me wondering what had happened to SACD and DVD-Audio...

So I started buying SACDs and DVD-Audios and began the 18 month process of deciding what to upgrade to so I could actually play them properly. My last player was bought in 1999 and predated the audio formats.

Now, if only they'd pull their fingers out and release some more good music... Some people are going backwards - Goldfrapp's latest is only on CD; their last was a multichannel SACD+DVD-V double pack.
post #299 of 10572 Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm afraid "the market" has spoken. The target audience of those who care enough about MCH audio is too small to be seen as worth the extra trouble for most outside some audiophile labels that cater mostly to classical and jazz. There are exceptions, but not nearly as many as I'd like (and the "iPod generation" is NOT helping matters in that regard with its low-res offerings).
post #300 of 10572 Old 02-27-2008, 07:57 PM

Just bought my first...In Spiritum: Olivier Latry plays Cesar Franck, Deutsche Grammophon hybrid SACD. On the way is a DG hybrid of the venerable war-horses Beethoven 5th and 6th Symphonies, with Herbert Von Karajan conducting the Berlin Phil. I believe this was his '61-'62 Beethoven cycle.

The Latry is a superb-sounding disc (currently 2-channel, an MCH upgrade is in the offing) and overall he turns in a superb performance. The heavily-modified Cavaille-Coll organ at Cathedrale de Notre Dame sings out with gusto and sweetness, from delicate harmonic flutes to spine-tinglingly majestic tuttis. The Pedale divisions in particular speak with impressive weight and solidity...mind your woofers! My only issue is with some of the tempi in his reading of the 3rd Chorale (A minor), IMHO he rushes in spots (in particular the rests in the intro bars seem overly curtailed, and the final chord progressions in the finale are rushed, weakening the emotional power of the finale IMHO.) I still have yet to hear a rendition of the 3rd Chorale that moves me like Marie-Claire Alain's 1977 Erato session. That's a master I'd love to hear released on SACD. But Latry's showing here overall is solid, with the Prelude, Fugue, and Variation being especially sublime on this disc. He is indeed a superb organist and well-deserving of his organiste titulaire position at Notre Dame.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page