18Likes

post #5101 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

It's always reassuring when you like what you buy, sometime this hobby can feel like a crap shooting and no matter how many great review you read every one seem to have slightly of a different take, and taste but glad you so far like what you purchased. Nice micro review as well.

Dan

Very important to get some feedback from members that we might have an insight as to specific tendencies.

Someone recently commented how much they liked the PG New Blood concert, and they weren't too impressed with a Sam McClain title. Exactly opposite from my tastes. Variety, being the spice of life, can also be a fickle mistress at times LOL.

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don't know if I should announce this to people who are members of SACD buyers anonymous, but Acoustic Sounds is having a sale on (almost all classical--90% MCH) SACDs. 162 titles at 5$ each and 185 titles at 10$ each. Also, a small collection of 1/2 price titles (at least 5, maybe 10, for under 10$). Free shipping for orders over 59.99$.

These are the ones I bought (Woyke and Lazic for 10$ each, the rest 5$ each):

Andreas Woyke/ Braiding Bach
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Oleg Caetani/ Shostakovich: Symphony No. 4
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Oleg Caetani/ Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Oleg Caetani/ Shostakovich: Symphonies 1 & 15
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Oleg Caetani/ Shostakovich: Symphony No. 13
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Yannick Nezet-Seguin/ Bruckner: Symphony No. 7
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Rudens Turku, violin & Milana Chernyavska, piano/ Brahms, Franck, Schumann
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Dejan Lazic/ Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 2/ Haydn:
Hybrid Multichannel

Amanda Roocroft (soprano), Konrad Jarnot (baritone), Reinild Mees (piano)/ Elgar: Complete Songs for Voice and Piano Vol. 1
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Marcus Bosch/ Bruckner: Symphony No. 3 in D minor
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Paavo Berglund/ Sibelius: Symphony No. 2 & 7
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Alliage Quintet/ Schumann: Piano Quintet
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Looking forward to some quality listening while the wife and kids are away in Florida in early March.
post #5103 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

Very important to get some feedback from members that we might have an insight as to specific tendencies.

Someone recently commented how much they liked the PG New Blood concert, and they weren't too impressed with a Sam McClain title. Exactly opposite from my tastes. Variety, being the spice of life, can also be a fickle mistress at times LOL.

Lol

As far as I can recall I've never been steered wrong on here, hell I believe 100% of the recommend music I've liked content wise, and SQ which is the most important to a recommendation,(at least to me) if I don't care much for blue grass I shouldn't go run and buy that type of music just because the sq is just to die for. That would be on me, and not anyone else!

BTW: I was just talking in general, I sounded a bit harsh, it was not directed at you not so ever.( hadn't eat lunch when i wrote the above Lol had a Betty White moment)...I was referring to what I would walk away from a recommendation before I go what the hell was I thinking on buying this stuff. I'm still curious about the Peter Gabriel, and I think I wrote a comment about the concert or something about the disc.

Thanks

Dan
post #5104 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I received a few SACDs yesterday with Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin' among them. I have to admit on the first listen today I'm somewhat disappointed by this title. This album was recorded in 1958 and it does not have much in way of music centered between my speakers. In other words this was recorded (early stereo?) with each instrument being located in either the right or left speaker. Not much center fill which is what I like to see in the music I buy. I'm also finding the piano and bass to be a bit off in that both are not that clear. I will have to give this one another listen to give it a fair chance.

Right now I'm listening to Bill Evans' Moon Beams on XRCD that has Bill Evans' piano dead center with the bass in the right speaker and drums in the left speaker. I find this to be a more enjoyable listening experience then having a void with no fill between my two speakers.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5105 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
[quote=USAFChief;21707640]A boat load arrived today (11 titles)...listed to 3 and here's a quick take on one listen each.

1. Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests (analogue productions version)...Trio with Ray Brown on Bass and Ed Thigpin on drums playing well known classics. The earlier recommendations regarding both OP and RB are spot on. This is sold as a MCH, but it's actually along the same lines as some of the Nat King Cole stuff...3 ch (L, C, R), each musician getting their own speaker; very convincing. They found the actual 3 track masters (2 Ch stuff is apparently in bad shape). Great disc. Some of the other versions were remastered using original vinal (Japan Verve/Not sure on the SHM-SACD)...not this one. The mixed reviews on SA-CD net may be folks commenting on the wrong version. The AP is good and don't let the numbers fool you.

Regarding the 'We Get Requests' SACD, does Oscar Peterson have the noticeable scatting/mumbling that he's notorious for? It distracts me greatly. Keith Jarrett does it also. I'd like to get this, but I'm apprehensive because of it. Thanks...
post #5106 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Lol

As far as I can recall I've never been steered wrong on here, hell I believe 100% of the recommend music I've liked content wise, and SQ which is the most important to a recommendation,(at least to me) if I don't care much for blue grass I shouldn't go run and buy that type of music just because the sq is just to die for. That would be on me, and not anyone else!

BTW: I was just talking in general, I sounded a bit harsh, it was not directed at you not so ever.( hadn't eat lunch when i wrote the above Lol had a Betty White moment)...I was referring to what I would walk away from a recommendation before I go what the hell was I thinking on buying this stuff. I'm still curious about the Peter Gabriel, and I think I wrote a comment about the concert or something about the disc.

Thanks

Dan

Send me a PM with your address, I'll send you the Gabriel concert, I'll never play it again! If you want, you can pay for shipping after it gets to you.

Jay

Jay
post #5107 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just bought:

Louis Armstrong - Plays W. C. Handy SACD

I'm sticking to my one SACD a day.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5108 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I just bought:

Bill

If you're a classical music fan, that is difficult to do with the Acoustic Sounds sale. But I respect your discipline.
post #5109 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

If you're a classical music fan, that is difficult to do with the Acoustic Sounds sale. But I respect your discipline.

Ovation,

I'm really not a classical fan. But that could change in the future. Although I did buy a number of the Living Stereo classical SACDs when Barnes and Noble had their big sale awhile back. I'm really hooked on jazz right now so it would be great if AP had a big sale on jazz SACDs.

Bill

post #5110 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ovation,

I'm really not a classical fan. But that could change in the future. Although I did buy a number of the Living Stereo classical SACDs when Barnes and Noble had their big sale awhile back. I'm really hooked on jazz right now so it would be great if AP had a big sale on jazz SACDs.

Bill

When I first started the SACD madness, I was a casual classical fan (owing to my love of old school prog rock, no doubt). I've become a "less casual" fan by exploring classical SACDs, which led me to subscribe to the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, which led me to buy more classical music, SACD or otherwise, and so on. I now know enough to have favourite composers styles and periods (Mid-19th to mid-20th century Russian, Scandinavian, English and French compositions) but not enough, yet, to discuss really technical aspects of the music.

I'm also a big jazz fan, so SACD fills two of my musical "needs" quite handily. If you don't already have it, seek out Joe Henderson's Lush Life--The Music of Billy Strayhorn. A must have IMO.

Enjoy the tunes.
post #5111 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Not much of a classical fan yet either. I also bought awhile back a bunch of Living Stereo SACD's on sale from ImportCd.
One of these days I'm sure I will appreciate classical music more, but for now I'm still adding Rock/Pop/Blues titles that most of you guys already bought years ago.
Most of these SACD's could be had for a song and a dance back then. Now they are fairly pricy and going UP UP UP.

Latest additions won on ePay.

Bangles --Greatest Hits - SACD - Stereo

Mark Knopfler - Sailing To Philadelphia DVD-A 5.1

Didn't do to bad as I got the Mark Knopfler for $33
post #5112 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just bought:

Bill

Now that's how is done folks, I tossed my hat in for 4 today and the night isn't even over yet

Great buy btw, real substance there.

Dan
post #5113 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Not much of a classical fan yet either. I also bought awhile back a bunch of Living Stereo SACD's on sale from ImportCd.
One of these days I'm sure I will appreciate classical music more, but for now I'm still adding Rock/Pop/Blues titles that most of you guys already bought years ago.
Most of these SACD's could be had for a song and a dance back then. Now they are fairly pricy and going UP UP UP.

Latest additions won on ePay.

Bangles --Greatest Hits - SACD - Stereo

Mark Knopfler - Sailing To Philadelphia DVD-A 5.1

Didn't do to bad as I got the Mark Knopfler for $33

I gotta tell you I was on a Mark Knopfler listening mood over the weekend, that Sailing To Philadelphia is such a good listen, just magical and for that price you got a real bargain.

Happy listening

Dan
post #5114 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Send me a PM with your address, I'll send you the Gabriel concert, I'll never play it again! If you want, you can pay for shipping after it gets to you.

Jay

YGPM

Dan
post #5115 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I received a few SACDs yesterday with Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin' among them. I have to admit on the first listen today I'm somewhat disappointed by this title. This album was recorded in 1958 and it does not have much in way of music centered between my speakers. In other words this was recorded (early stereo?) with each instrument being located in either the right or left speaker. Not much center fill which is what I like to see in the music I buy. I'm also finding the piano and bass to be a bit off in that both are not that clear. I will have to give this one another listen to give it a fair chance.

Bill

I believe with this one it's simply more about the performance which is considered an all time classic. I guess if the presentation becomes too distracting, then the performance can be lost. I've only listened to my copy a couple of times, but in my case I didn't become distracted...of couse once it's in your head, hard to ignore...thanks for planting that seed Bill

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #5116 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=5150zx;21710255]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Regarding the 'We Get Requests' SACD, does Oscar Peterson have the noticeable scatting/mumbling that he's notorious for? It distracts me greatly. Keith Jarrett does it also. I'd like to get this, but I'm apprehensive because of it. Thanks...

There's another seed...crap, not sure I want to listen for it. If it's there on this one, it didn't bother me. Simply got caught up enjoying the music.

You guys remind me of my wife...she hears everything other than what she needs to be listening to (i.e dog licking paws). Her S/N ratio is very high/ultra sensitive. But again, once it's in your head, hard to ignore.

I think in my case, if it's material I'm not familiar with, the first listen is for musical enjoyment, then it gets more technical on subsequent listens; unless something is just compressed to HE double toothpicks and it's unlistenable.

I think good advice for myself would be to hold off on commenting after 1st listen...sometimes I just get caught up in the fun and I want to share.

EDIT: 5150...the eagle has landed; i.e. the seed was fruitful.. You get the occasional "muttered scat", verbal sound effects in the background...more on some tracks than others. More like a whisper at times. You may want to stay clear. Doesn't bother or distract me, but now hearing it, I can see how some may be bothered by it. To me it does not take away from the performance...it has/shows feeling. There's a singer in him trying to get out.

Martin

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #5117 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:

I gotta tell you I was on a Mark Knopfler listening mood over the weekend, that Sailing To Philadelphia is such a good listen, just magical and for that price you got a real bargain.

Happy listening

Dan

Me too, just got the SHM self titled Dire Straits SACD. Cost me more than I'd be willing to pay for all but a very few. Pure heaven, worth every penny!

I still remember the first time I heard this album at my friend's house through his new at the time Dahlquist DQ10s, high end turntable with ridiculously expensive cartridge (I think it was a moving coil cartridge which required a separate pre amp). Bought my own vinyl copy next day.

Got three of them in high-rez now; Sailing to Philly, Brother in Arms, and now the self titled. Might pick up Love Over Gold, I'm quite fond of that one as well.

Between "Straits", and Foghat's "Fool for the City", it was quite the blast from the past. Was a big Foghat fan back in the day, their first, self titled album is my favorite.

Jay
post #5118 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Me too, just got the SHM self titled Dire Straits SACD. Cost me more than I'd be willing to pay for all but a very few. Pure heaven, worth every penny!

I still remember the first time I heard this album at my friend's house through his new at the time Dahlquist DQ10s, high end turntable with ridiculously expensive cartridge (I think it was a moving coil cartridge which required a separate pre amp). Bought my own vinyl copy next day.

Got three of them in high-rez now; Sailing to Philly, Brother in Arms, and now the self titled. Might pick up Love Over Gold, I'm quite fond of that one as well.

Between "Straits", and Foghat's "Fool for the City", it was quite the blast from the past. Was a big Foghat fan back in the day, their first, self titled album is my favorite.

Jay,
I have all the "Dire Straits" titles: Brother In Arms, Dire Straits Self Titled, Communique, Making Movies, & Love Over Gold. Also have Mark Knopfler - Shangri-La as well.
I recommend getting "Love Over Gold"

Just added:
Alan Parsons Project- I Robot HDAD 24/96 24/192 Stereo
Alan Parsons Project: The Turn of a Friendly Card HDAD 24/96 24/192 Stereo
post #5119 of 10157 Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Jay,
I have all the "Dire Straits" titles: Brother In Arms, Dire Straits Self Titled, Communique, Making Movies, & Love Over Gold. Also have Mark Knopfler - Shangri-La as well.

Just added:
Alan Parsons Project- I Robot HDAD 24/96 24/192 Stereo
Alan Parsons Project: The Turn of a Friendly Card HDAD 24/96 24/192 Stereo

JJHXBR

I look forward to hearing your comments on the Alan Parsons Project HDAD's - I like Alan Parsons so can't work out what the criticism of the HDAD is about.

And, as I just love "brothers In Arms" I might have to consider your other suggestions.

Benje (OZ)
post #5120 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't know Foghat, never heard of them before. Yeah I need Love over Gold, I think they go pretty steep though.

Quote:

Jay,

Yes Shangri-La is just as beautiful as Sailing to Phili....Those two were playing back to back.

Sweet collection of Dire..

Dan
post #5121 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 06:10 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Don't know Foghat, never heard of them before.

Dan

Kim Simmonds - Savoy Brown ????????

post #5122 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dan,

I agree that Sailing To Philadelphia is an excellent sounding DVD-A especially the 5.1 layer. I might give it a spin today if I have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I believe with this one it's simply more about the performance which is considered an all time classic. I guess if the presentation becomes too distracting, then the performance can be lost. I've only listened to my copy a couple of times, but in my case I didn't become distracted...of couse once it's in your head, hard to ignore...thanks for planting that seed Bill

Martin,

Sorry about that. I'm going to give Moanin' another listen after I finish listening to Lee Morgan's Sidewinder SACD. I'll post what my impressions of Moanin' are if they are any different than my first listen. I agree with you that maybe one should wait to post impressions for a specific title till it has been listened to a few times.

Quote:

Jay,

Jeffrey,

Definitely a great collection of Dire Straits SACDs! I have BIA on both SACD and DualDisc as well as the S/T SHM-SACD. Love Over Gold is one of my all time favorite albums without a doubt. I just have been hesitant to buy the SHM-SACD due to some mixed reviews I have read. I just wish the prices of the SHM-SACDs were not so high. I have Shangri-La on DVD-A and SACD, another excellent Mark Knopfler album for sure.

Bill

post #5123 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakstone View Post

Kim Simmonds - Savoy Brown ????????

Sorry hm..I'll google them..

Djoel
post #5124 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
EDIT: 5150...the eagle has landed; i.e. the seed was fruitful.. You get the occasional "muttered scat", verbal sound effects in the background...more on some tracks than others. More like a whisper at times. You may want to stay clear. Doesn't bother or distract me, but now hearing it, I can see how some may be bothered by it. To me it does not take away from the performance...it has/shows feeling. There's a singer in him trying to get out.[/quote]

Martin:

Thank you for taking the time to re-listen to this. It 'seems' that OP does the scatting on the more high energy songs and 'We Get Requests' is a bit more subdued (except the last song), so perhaps it's not as bad as other discs I've heard. Also, after having acquired many Ray Brown discs over the last few weeks, I've noticed he does it as well on rare occasions. The main reason I'm interested in this disc is Ray Brown and his bass! Just listening to the MP3 :30 second clips on Amazon, Ray's bass sounds phenomenal on We Get Requests. I'm guessing the SACD brings his bass to another level?

George
post #5125 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 13
post #5126 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I'll check them out once I get home..We're not allow to see youtube at work.

Djoel
post #5127 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Rolling Stones- It's Only Rock and Roll
Dire Straits- Communique and Making Moves
Queen - A Day At The Races
post #5128 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

EDIT: 5150...the eagle has landed; i.e. the seed was fruitful.. You get the occasional "muttered scat", verbal sound effects in the background...more on some tracks than others. More like a whisper at times. You may want to stay clear. Doesn't bother or distract me, but now hearing it, I can see how some may be bothered by it. To me it does not take away from the performance...it has/shows feeling. There's a singer in him trying to get out.

Martin:

Thank you for taking the time to re-listen to this. It 'seems' that OP does the scatting on the more high energy songs and 'We Get Requests' is a bit more subdued (except the last song), so perhaps it's not as bad as other discs I've heard. Also, after having acquired many Ray Brown discs over the last few weeks, I've noticed he does it as well on rare occasions. The main reason I'm interested in this disc is Ray Brown and his bass! Just listening to the MP3 :30 second clips on Amazon, Ray's bass sounds phenomenal on We Get Requests. I'm guessing the SACD brings his bass to another level?

George[/quote]

George...it was my pleasure to re-listen .

You're absolutely spot on...they behave during the more subdued/quite passages and they seem to get caught up when they get rolling. Actually I was wondering if some of it was coming from Brown...coming from the same location as the bass, not just centered on piano.

By the time this was released the trio had been together 5 years and to be honest, the performance/collection of songs are terrific. I'm a brass guy and I didn't miss the horns on this one. I'm somewhat new to the jazz scene, but it's quite obvious Bay Brown is the man on bass and this remaster is well done and he's well represented. Again, the AQ is right in line with most of the AP SACD stuff with this one getting the bonus of having the MCH (L, C, R) option.

For less than $25 to the door, it's highly recommended with an * for the occasional "tourrettes" outbreak

Martin

post #5129 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't know Foghat, never heard of them before. Dan

Dan,

You may not remember "Foghat", but I bet you remember these tracks:

1. Fool For The City
3. Slow Ride

Martin

post #5130 of 10157 Old 02-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickB View Post

Rolling Stones- It's Only Rock and Roll
Dire Straits- Communique and Making Moves
Queen - A Day At The Races

Mick,

I hope you enjoy these, but I've made a habit to wait till the reviews flow on the SHM SACDs...really a mixed bag with these.

The early comments on the Queen releases...same mastering as the 2011 catalogue release...which are compressed. Your satisfaction may depend on your tastes/sensitivity to brightness.

The Feb 12 Dire Straits releases have been tarred and feathered as well. Those with multiple copies almost unanimously prefer the blue/orange swirl redbooks.

Hope your mileage differs, but I'm going to hold off on these and I really wanted the DS stuff to be good. I have the S/T and Love Over Gold SHMs, which I enjoy a lot.

Martin

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page