AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Hey Dan-

If you can find Simple Minds/New Gold Dream DVD-A for a reasonable price I highly recommend it. The SACD Once Upon A Time also commands a high price, but I prefer the SQ of New Gold Dream over Once Upon A Time/SACD. I'm pretty sure one of their redbooks is on your portable HDD.

That's a hard feat. I've been wanting that disc for a long time. I love Simple Minds and almost won their sacd cd last month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 10266 Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

That's a hard feat. I've been wanting that disc for a long time. I love Simple Minds and almost won their sacd cd last month.

Agreed, it's unfortunate that neither can typically be had for cheap.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #5283 of 10266 Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 63

Just got a new title in, Eugene Ruffolo "In a Different Light" on the Stockfisch label. If I had to classify a genre I'd say pop/folk music.

If you like James Taylor doing acoustic work, this is very similar. It's a relatively new piece (2007), the recording is pristine, the mix is a real 5.1 (Eugene's voice is from the center speaker). Silky smooth vocals and sweet as molasses! Recorded in Sockfisch's state of the art studio in Germany.

Highly recommended!

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #5284 of 10266 Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Inside the Music - Women on Top (easily the worst)
Inside the Music - New Wave (at least better then above, but worst than the rest)

Both produced by Silverline.

Not often do I bother to report about the average to below average purchases I've made, but these are absolutely horrid; easily the worst I've heard with the potential to do physical harm to your auditory nervous system. At a minimum expect a headache...to make it worse, they've given it to you in 5.1 channels to rub it in. I'm thinking Sony or someone from the SACD side of the house put these out to sabotage the DVD-A side .

These were early releases, but the mix, tone, balance are all out of whack. Then, they murk it all up with large amounts of compression/bloated bass. Not sure how they let this stuff out the door. The song set is alright and I thought it may be an opportunity to hear some artists not available in Hi-Res...but this isn't high-res...Stay away.

The silver lining is I paid less then $5 each and Billy Idols Eyes Without a Face is OK...I pity the folks who paid $35-40 on e-bay. I can't in my right mind do that to someone else. If you're "train wreck" curious, PM me...you pay shipping, nothing else.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #5285 of 10266 Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Another MCH dissapointment...my hopes were high.

Buddy Guy - DJ Play My Blues

I now have this Hi-Res title in both SACD 5.1/2.0 mix and the 2 Ch flac download from HDTracks. The 2Ch HDtracks version was solid, and it really wet my whistle to hear this in 5.1. Bottom line...too much back-up/accompanying guitar work coming from the rears and it competed with BGs guitar to much for attention...to the point of being a distraction. This thing has good reviews on amazon/SA-CD, so I had high hopes. A little disappointed, partly because of my expectations and hope this was going to be special.

Take this one with a grain of salt...The SACD and the 2 Ch are both a touch on the bright side. Something I didn't notice on the HDTracks release before, but I was sensitive to it on the last listen. I suspect it's the same mastering. This may have feel victim to the "follow-up affect"...listening to this right after some warm buttery smooth Hoffman mastered Jazz discs, followed up by the dangerous "Inside the Music" fiasco above.

I'll have to listen more, but this one may go on e-bay/SH site. My 2 cents...If capable of playing flac, I'd highly recommend the HDTracks over the SACD simply based on cost alone. I just don't think I gained anything with the addition of MCH on this purchase...the brightness may go away, but the MCH mix is not going anywhere.

Martin

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #5286 of 10266 Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

I'm giving Dave Alvin - Blackjack Dave (MFSL SACD...blues) a try...ordered yesterday.

Martin

post #5287 of 10266 Old 03-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Liked: 63
"DVD-A Warning - Stay Away"

I think it's a good idea to warn about the bad stuff as well as praise the good. In fact, about six years ago (I'm guessing) I started a thread to name the bad stuff, it's long since vanished.

In any case thanks for the heads-up, always such a drag to buy a POS! I have also had some real stinkers on the Silverline label, they're not noted for great quality.

I took a long hiatus from posting in these threads due to what seemed like a major attitude of indifference back then. I never understood why people will argue about things like cables, and line conditioners for page after page, and yet not show more interest in these posts. Source material is of far greater significance in the grand scheme of things if you ask me.

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #5288 of 10266 Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

I took a long hiatus from posting in these threads due to what seemed like a major attitude of indifference back then. I never understood why people will argue about things like cables, and line conditioners for page after page, and yet not show more interest in these posts. Source material is of far greater significance in the grand scheme of things if you ask me.

Ya, I've learned to stay away from the "hot" topics...just too much emotion in the golden ear vs. snake oil crowds. I have my opinions, but they are just like everyone elses...opinions.

I do offer my opinion and agree with you; 1st and foremost regarding quality sound, it all starts with 1) the production side/source material; then 2a) room acoustics, 2b) speakers, 4) amp 5) source player, 6) ...you're in the hot topics water here (cables, power conditioners/plugs, fuses, cleaning polish, isolators, solid-state burn-in, demags, blue markers, q-tips)

Martin

post #5289 of 10266 Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Thanks for the heads up guys.

Djoel
post #5290 of 10266 Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 PM

Liked: 18
Well it's been a while since I last posted here, so in order to keep up with you guys I bought the following:

Carpenters " The Singles 1969-1981", SACD it wasn't cheap, 30 bucks
Dinah Washington "What a Difference a Day Makes" SACD 19.99
Roger Waters "The Wall, Live in Berlin" SACD 14.99
McCoy Tyner "Night of Ballads an Blues" and "Inception" SACD 14.99 each.
Gordon Goodwing "Big Phat Band XXL" DVDA 4.99...by the way this DVDA is great, excellent SQ, I'm just listening to it now and I got a big grin on my face

By the way I still got John Coltrane's "Standard Coltrane" SACD, if anybody is interested in trading, please PM me.
post #5291 of 10266 Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I do offer my opinion and agree with you; 1st and foremost regarding quality sound, it all starts with 1) the production side/source material; then 2a) room acoustics, 2b) speakers, 4) amp 5) source player, 6) ...you're in the hot topics water here (cables, power conditioners/plugs, fuses, cleaning polish, isolators, solid-state burn-in, demags, blue markers, q-tips)

I'll argue
1. Source material(separate and distinct from all other factors)
2. Player
3. Preamp, Amp & Speakers as 1 unit
4. Room acoustics\ reatments & speaker placement
5. Solid connections and 12AWG copper speaker cables.
The key, imo, is a balance between items 2 & 3.
Obviously an all glass room or some other anomaly is going to affect the sound but almost anything can be minimized by placement and treatments.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #5292 of 10266 Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Picked up a copy of the Analog Productions release of "Hoodoo Man Blues" by Junior Wells. Sounds amazingly good for a 1965 analog tape. Great music, BTW, this is the real deal.
post #5293 of 10266 Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm giving Dave Alvin - Blackjack Dave (MFSL SACD...blues) a try...ordered yesterday.

Though I have't listened to this album, Dave is a great artist and puts on a really good live show.
post #5294 of 10266 Old 03-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Just picked up "Nickel Creek - This Side" for $15, great sound quality, not a whole lot of activity in the surrounds though....
post #5295 of 10266 Old 03-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

I have both New Gold Dream and Once Upon A Time on DVD-A, I thought the SACD's were stereo only? The surround is great on new gold dream..
post #5296 of 10266 Old 03-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Buddy Guy - DJ Play My Blues

..too much back-up/accompanying guitar work coming from the rears and it competed with BGs guitar to much for attention...to the point of being a distraction. .

..The SACD and the 2 Ch are both a touch on the bright side.

...I'll have to listen more,...the brightness may go away, but the MCH mix is not going anywhere.

After subsequent listens...I'm going to have to backtrack some and eat crow. It's actually much better/much more enjoyable than the other night. I must have been in a bad musical mood/tired. Much more balanced than I first thought and the surrounds came across as better integrated. Additionally, it didn't come across as harsh/bright, still slightly tilted that way but not to a fault...funny, the human ear/brain. This ones a keeper and will be enjoyed; performance always was a 5 star.

BTW, I have a gluten for punishment/taker for the Inside the Music - New Wave disc.

Martin

post #5297 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

After subsequent listens...I'm going to have to backtrack some and eat crow...funny, the human ear/brain. ...BTW, I have a gluten for punishment...

Try that new gluten-free stuff and see if it helps your psychoacoustic mood swings.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #5298 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Just got a new title in, Eugene Ruffolo "In a Different Light" on the Stockfisch label. If I had to classify a genre I'd say pop/folk music.

Just ordered, thanks for the tip. I own several Stockfish recordings and they are the absolute sound reference in my record collection.
post #5299 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

Carpenters " The Singles 1969-1981", SACD it wasn't cheap, 30 bucks

Where did you find it at that price? Tell me please...
post #5300 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Recently added a new center speaker, was demoing some of my multi-channel 5.1 mix SACDs. I put about half a dozen of them from various labels and not a one of them had any output from the center...

I find the CC on some mixes a bit too hot/forward and have been known to do a "house remix" by tweaking it down a coupla dB in the processor. Worst offender I've found so far is Diana Krall "GitOR" SACD MC mix which benefits from about 5 dB of cut in order to balance and integrate better with the rest of the speakers (to my ear, YMMV). Other than that, it's really quite an extraordinary disc.

post #5301 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 06:12 AM

^^^^ Now that you bring that up, I listen to My Krall SACD's in stereo only, I don't like the balance out the surround mix. Hearing Anthony Wilson's guitar coming out of the surround speaker really breaks it for me.
post #5302 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
To each his own. I much prefer to be "in the band" with MCH music mixes and I love hearing instruments and voices from the surrounds. I'm less disappointed by "ambience" MCH mixes for live recordings but for studio recordings, unless recorded as a jam session, the placement of instruments in the mix is as arbitrary in 2 channel as in MCH.

I wouldn't want anyone to be forced to listen to a MCH mix they don't like (so it's good to have a 2 channel option) but I am very happy when I come across (an all too rare) "in the band" mix.
post #5303 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...The amp drives two 5”x 9” front-mounted quadratic subwoofer bass drivers which are coupled to dual side-mounted 7”x10” quadratic planar infrasonic bass radiators". ...freq response rated at a low 18 Hz/fairly efficient at 91 dB. Put 2 of these in the room and I think you may have your low freqs covered...

I'll throw in my opinion on this OT but fascinating stuff as well.
With those lovely speakers, you will be getting a lot of bass from them, but getting smooth punchy tight bass in your room can be hard to achieve with that kinda old school big bass tower design. All too often when one places the fronts for best soundstage/imaging it does not align with where the bass should eminate in order to offset room modes. Of course if you have great acoustic treatments and flexibility in placement it can work out just fine indeed.

I've now got two good, matching subs and I've placed them in the room so they interact to lessen room modes. I use a DSP system (Audyssey MultEQXT32 with Pro kit) that integrates the subs perfectly with the rest of the speakers. This approach frees one to buy and place the fronts for one goal: best soundstage and imaging. So they really don't need a low F3. Rather, accurate mids and highs are the goal for the towers. And of course an exact timbre match CC and surrounds, all well-placed, will optimize MC music. And for film, you'll want all that and some subs anyway...
Quote:

I do offer my opinion and agree with you; 1st and foremost regarding quality sound, it all starts with 1) the production side/source material; then 2a) room acoustics, 2b) speakers, 4) amp 5) source player, 6) ...

Good points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

I'll argue
1. Source material(separate and distinct from all other factors)
2. Player
3. Preamp, Amp & Speakers as 1 unit
4. Room acoustics\ reatments & speaker placement
5. Solid connections and 12AWG copper speaker cables.
The key, imo, is a balance between items 2 & 3.
Obviously an all glass room or some other anomaly is going to affect the sound but almost anything can be minimized by placement and treatments.

Good points. I'd just add that for those without great acoustic treatments, modern hi-qual RC DSP (like the latest Audyssey mentioned above, Trinnov and ARC) are a good alternative.

post #5304 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster-s View Post

^^^^ Now that you bring that up, I listen to My Krall SACD's in stereo only, I don't like the balance out the surround mix. Hearing Anthony Wilson's guitar coming out of the surround speaker really breaks it for me.

Great guitar playing and well-recorded. I especially like the acoustic work. The piano is also exceptionally well-recorded, very nuanced and delicate in certain sections. I myself enjoy both the exc Surround and Stereo mixes on that disc. It's like getting two discs for the price of one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

... the placement of instruments in the mix is as arbitrary in 2 channel as in MCH...

Interesting point. What I aim for is to hear pretty much what the recording engineer heard while sitting in front of the control booth monitors. Maybe better, but hopefully not worse.

Of course, if I had my wish, I'd have the master tapes and I'd be sitting behind my digital mixing console panning discreet tracks and adding reverb to my taste. You get a taste of what that's like with the Aja DVD. Speaking of an album crying for a HiRes MC remaster...

post #5305 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Of course, if I had my wish, I'd have the master tapes and I'd be sitting behind my digital mixing console panning discreet tracks and adding reverb to my taste. You get a taste of what that's like with the Aja DVD. Speaking of an album crying for a HiRes MC remaster...

Indeed, on April 6, 2011, the album was deemed by the Library of Congress to be "culturally, historically, or aesthetically important" and added to the United States National Recording Registry for the year 2010. However, the multitrack masters are missing.

About two years ago the Dan did a tour with many multi-night engagements with entire albums performed en toto with the same song sequence. I missed that tour completely, but have always hoped/suspected that there would be live album releases or even blu-ray concerts. I am still hopeful that something like that is in the pipeline.

Jeff
post #5306 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Where did you find it at that price? Tell me please...

Amoeba Music, Hollywood, CA.
post #5307 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

Amoeba Music, Hollywood, CA.

Sold out it seems
post #5308 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Sold out it seems

They had it displayed on the special items shelf that's how I noticed it....it was there for a few days I was told, I'm surprised no one grabbed it before I did. I'd been looking for it for quite a while.
post #5309 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

To each his own. I much prefer to be "in the band" with MCH music mixes and I love hearing instruments and voices from the surrounds. I'm less disappointed by "ambience" MCH mixes for live recordings but for studio recordings, unless recorded as a jam session, the placement of instruments in the mix is as arbitrary in 2 channel as in MCH.

I wouldn't want anyone to be forced to listen to a MCH mix they don't like (so it's good to have a 2 channel option) but I am very happy when I come across (an all too rare) "in the band" mix.

What is an MCH mix? Multi-Channel? As to "in the band" MCH mixes there is AIX records.
post #5310 of 10266 Old 03-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

What is an MCH mix? Multi-Channel? As to "in the band" MCH mixes there is AIX records.

Yes, multi channel. Some recordings are made out of a stage mix (Ã* la AIX) while others (more so classical recordings) are mixed for spacial effects. I personally only go for the later, so yes, to each his own.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page