post #5461 of 10603 Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Why do you think oop dvd-a's will not continue to hold there value or increase for some time to come? I would think that at whatever point hardware support drops off for these "dying" formats, dvd-a's would hold the edge because they can still be played as dvd's, in surround, even if lossy, whereas sacd's might become unplayable, except the cd layer.

Just to clarify myself.
Wasn't trying to imply that OOP DVD-A's wouldn't hold there value or increase for some time to come. Heck, I own a bunch of them.
I only mentioned OOP SACD's as an example. My reference to OOP SACD's was used because they are generally more sought after, typically are worth more, and there are way more OOP titles available for collectors than DVD-A disc's.
Personally I think OOP DVD-A's and any other OOP high res disc's (Alan Parsons HDAD disc's come to mind) will also continue to hold there value as well.
When the time comes that hardware is no longer supported or available for these High Res disc formats it will then most likely affect there value.
Same goes for all these Hi Res disc's if low cost, equal or better audio quality downloads become widely available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5462 of 10603 Old 04-23-2012, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Just to clarify myself.
Wasn't trying to imply that OOP DVD-A's wouldn't hold there value or increase for some time to come. Heck, I own a bunch of them.
I only mentioned OOP SACD's as an example. My reference to OOP SACD's was used because they are generally more sought after, typically are worth more, and there are way more OOP titles available for collectors than DVD-A disc's.
Personally I think OOP DVD-A's and any other OOP high res disc's (Alan Parsons HDAD disc's come to mind) will also continue to hold there value as well.
When the time comes that hardware is no longer supported or available for these High Res disc formats it will then most likely affect there value.
Same goes for all these Hi Res disc's if low cost, equal or better audio quality downloads become widely available.

Just curious- I know there are a lot more sacd's made, but a lot of them are in "less popular" genres (nothing against classical or jazz, just reflecting what the general public wants). Do you think there are more classic rock albums released on sacd than dvd-a? I mean overall, since these formats began. Seems like some of the most expensive oop titles are dvd-a (except E Power Biggs Bach Toccatas), but then I don't go looking for many classical titles, so I don't have a clue (unfortunately, not a rare occurrence for me).
post #5463 of 10603 Old 04-23-2012, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Downloading is kind of where I"m at right now. Although given the choice, I'd still opt for the sacd.

I'm a case-by-case on the downloads. The couple of issues I have with the HDTracks: 1) no MCH. 2) In a lot of cases, they don't provide any information on the mastering, which is probably more important to the end result than the 24/96 or 24/192. They are beginning to provide some additional details on new releases, so hopefully they see the light. The ones who buy this stuff usually are the same ones who care about the mastering details. Right now, I depend on the reviews on the SH site, and usually like to see the DR readings/analysis to see if it's simply up converted or overly compressed prior to spending the $s. It's definitely a cheaper option to the expensive OOP stuff, especially the 2Ch SACD stuff.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #5464 of 10603 Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This I believe will be the key...it's all about the law of supply and demand. You can be assured, that once the flac/ISO is available, it will eventually show up on file sharing sites. This was one of the prime ideas behind the SACD to begin with...a way to encrypt the data to prevent the illegal copies. Once readily available for purchase or illegal downloads the, availability increases, demand decreases and so will the prices.

The early PS3 solution is out there today and well documented for ripping SACDs. More and more Internet copies are showing up daily. This is not an endorsement BTW, just a statement of fact.

Martin

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #5465 of 10603 Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Just curious- I know there are a lot more sacd's made, but a lot of them are in "less popular" genres (nothing against classical or jazz, just reflecting what the general public wants). Do you think there are more classic rock albums released on sacd than dvd-a? I mean overall, since these formats began. Seems like some of the most expensive oop titles are dvd-a (except E Power Biggs Bach Toccatas), but then I don't go looking for many classical titles, so I don't have a clue (unfortunately, not a rare occurrence for me).

I'd say rock releases on SACD would easily outnumber DVD-A...a matter of fact, some of the DVD-A releases have been reissues on SACD. SACD has a lot more life than the the DVD-A market. I'd say Steve Wilson is one of the few still using the format.

I also think the focus of most SACDs and DVD-A releases is pretty much a result of this being a niche market...a lot of the audiophile family gravitate toward classical/jazz music.

Martin

post #5466 of 10603 Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I'm a case-by-case on the downloads. The couple of issues I have with the HDTracks: 1) no MCH. 2) In a lot of cases, they don't provide any information on the mastering, which is probably more important to the end result than the 24/96 or 24/192. They are beginning to provide some additional details on new releases, so hopefully they see the light. The ones who buy this stuff usually are the same ones who care about the mastering details. Right now, I depend on the reviews on the SH site, and usually like to see the DR readings/analysis to see if it's simply up converted or overly compressed prior to spending the $s. It's definitely a cheaper option to the expensive OOP stuff, especially the 2Ch SACD stuff.

SH site stands for??

I'd like to see these reviews myself. I've been relying on intuition in purchases. I purchase older stuff that I know was tape recorded and newer stuff that obviously was studio mastered at 24/192. I stay away from things recorded at the onset of the digital age in hirez. OOP SACDs that are available as downloads are a particular target of mine as it would seem logical that a good master was available to render upconversion moot. (ie. Karen Carpenter's sacd is a 24/48 download at hdtracks, don't know why they didn't do 96.)

My Rig is strictly 2 channel and I do a lot of headphone listening as well. So the hi rez downloads suit me well. When I listen to sacds its the stereo layer or a downmix.
post #5467 of 10603 Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

SH site stands for??

Steve Hoffman Music Forum

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #5468 of 10603 Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks. I use computeraudiophile.com. I'll give it a shot.
post #5469 of 10603 Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM

Liked: 10
I scored Roger Waters - In the Flesh Live SACD for $9.99 at a local shop. The owner didn't know it was there and wasn't too happy one of his guys priced it so low.

Fantastic recording for what I was able to listen to.

----------------
post #5470 of 10603 Old 04-23-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron1974 View Post

I scored Roger Waters - In the Flesh Live SACD for $9.99 at a local shop. The owner didn't know it was there and wasn't too happy one of his guys priced it so low.

Fantastic recording for what I was able to listen to.

Nice score! I have this one and it is a great sounding recording.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5471 of 10603 Old 04-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Just received Carol King's Tapestry in MCH SACD! This is now becoming one of my favorites thanks to the Paul Kingberg 5.1 mix. Carole's masterpiece in a whole new light for me. Took advantage of the buy it now price on EBay for $75. It was used but in great condition. Another EBay auction sold it for $63 in brand new condition but I'm not going to complain, everybody is going to win on this OOP treasure. They also released this SACD title with no MCH but I verified before I made my score.
post #5472 of 10603 Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtullfan View Post

Just received Carol King's Tapestry in MCH SACD! This is now becoming one of my favorites thanks to the Paul Kingberg 5.1 mix. Carole's masterpiece in a whole new light for me. Took advantage of the buy it now price on EBay for $75. It was used but in great condition. Another EBay auction sold it for $63 in brand new condition but I'm not going to complain, everybody is going to win on this OOP treasure. They also released this SACD title with no MCH but I verified before I made my score.

Carol King's Tapestry is my favorite out of her SACD's.

Today's Gems:

Picked up a "Like New" ALISON KRAUSS & UNION STATION * LIVE * SACD MCH
Got a good price on this. Saw one sell last week on eBay for over $200
Have read VERY good reviews about this recording.
Can't wait to check it out.
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/842

Also won a "New Sealed" Blood, Sweat & Tears: 3 MFSL SACD
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1489
post #5473 of 10603 Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Just received my Jethro Tull Aqualung 40th anniversary set today. Now I just need to get my room finished off so I can listen to the surround mix.
post #5474 of 10603 Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Just received my Jethro Tull Aqualung 40th anniversary set today. Now I just need to get my room finished off so I can listen to the surround mix.

If you got yours then mine should be on it's way or also delivered.

Will finally be home this weekend so I can start listening to some Hi Res Tunes instead of buying

Just picked up today : (New Sealed) Blood, Sweat & Tears MFSL SACD
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3294

(New Sealed) Frank Sinatra: Sinatra at the Sands (With Count Basie & the Orchestra) DVD-A
http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Sinatra-...5485918&sr=8-9
post #5475 of 10603 Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

If you got yours then mine should be on it's way or also delivered.

Will finally be home this weekend so I can start listening to some Hi Res Tunes instead of buying

Just picked up today : (New Sealed) Blood, Sweat & Tears MFSL SACD
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3294

(New Sealed) Frank Sinatra: Sinatra at the Sands (With Count Basie & the Orchestra) DVD-A
http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Sinatra-...5485918&sr=8-9

Oh man would I like to find that Sinatra/Count Basie title for a reasonable price. I get shivers down my spine just reading the track selections.

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #5476 of 10603 Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

Oh man would I like to find that Sinatra/Count Basie title for a reasonable price. I get shivers down my spine just reading the track selections.

When I clicked on your Amazon link it brought me to the page where I ordered this disk on January 25, 2005. The price back then for a new copy was $14.99! In the same order I bought Roxy Music's Avalon (Hybrid SACD) for $10.99! Total order was $25.98 and I got the free shipping!
post #5477 of 10603 Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaumgart View Post

When I clicked on your Amazon link it brought me to the page where I ordered this disk on January 25, 2005. The price back then for a new copy was $14.99! In the same order I bought Roxy Music's Avalon (Hybrid SACD) for $10.99! Total order was $25.98 and I got the free shipping!

I bought the Roxy Music "Avalon" from BB for a regular retail price a while back also. We need a time machine, and a willing buyer/traveller to make the journey .

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #5478 of 10603 Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

We need a time machine, and a willing buyer/traveller to make the journey .

I'm in. I hope said time machine is X-Large as I'll be needing a shipping container to go with me.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5479 of 10603 Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I'm in. I hope said time machine is X-Large as I'll be needing a shipping container to go with me.

Here's an extra large time machine that just may fit "the Bill"

Attachment 244821
LL

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #5480 of 10603 Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Here's an extra large time machine that just may fit "the Bill"

Attachment 244821

LOL...that will fit "the Martin" too. Plus, somebody needs to keep an eye on Bill, and who better than the honorary "treasurer."

Downloaded some Hi-Rez 24/96k from HDTracks today:
Madonna - True Blue
Otis Redding - The Dock of the Bay
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events

FYI...From what I've read on the Hoffman site, the Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story is terrific. Holding off because I like my MFSL Gold CD so much. I'm tempted though.

Martin

post #5481 of 10603 Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Madonna - True Blue

Sh**! I had registered at the HDtracks site, downloaded Songbird for FLAC playback, Burn for burning DVD-A, fired up my debit card account, proceeded to checkout when a message said that they only sell to US citizens. I know it is probably due to copyright laws or something, but the music business is again working against itself while whining about destructive sales.
post #5482 of 10603 Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

LOL...that will fit "the Martin" too. Plus, somebody needs to keep an eye on Bill, and who better than the honorary "treasurer."

Madonna - True Blue

FYI...From what I've read on the Hoffman site, the Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story is terrific. Holding off because I like my MFSL Gold CD so much. I'm tempted though.

Hi Martin,

Any of these MCH? How is the sound quality of Dream Theater compared to Redbook?

Jeff
post #5483 of 10603 Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 AM

Was in Los Angeles for business a few weeks back and finally picked up Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs for $15.
post #5484 of 10603 Old 04-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Forgot . . . I picked up End of the Innocence by Don Henley a few weeks back.
post #5485 of 10603 Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach View Post

Forgot . . . I picked up End of the Innocence by Don Henley a few weeks back.

Do you hear a difference in sound quality ... a drop off in fact ... from the first song to the others?

Jeff
post #5486 of 10603 Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Jean Michel Jarre: Magnetic Fields - Studio Masters 96/24 - downloaded just now, and burning a DVD-A for the 1st time
post #5487 of 10603 Old 04-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I think I have all of the Steely Dan/ Donald Fagen Hi-Res Surround music that is out there .

Let me know if I am missing any .

Good stuff !

Thanks

Mark
LL
post #5488 of 10603 Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post

I think I have all of the Steely Dan/ Donald Fagen Hi-Res Surround music that is out there .

Let me know if I am missing any .

Good stuff !

Thanks

Mark

Nice collection! I would say you have all the SD/Fagen MCH titles available. I have all of these although I have The Nightfly and Kamakiriad on MVI-DVD. They sound great but not Hi-Rez.

Bill

post #5489 of 10603 Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just bought:

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus AP SACD

Sonny Rollins: Vol. 2 AP SACD

Bill

post #5490 of 10603 Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Hi Martin,

Any of these MCH? How is the sound quality of Dream Theater compared to Redbook?

Jeff

These are straight 2Ch...HDTracks doesn't offer any MCH to date.

Also can't directly compare the 24/96 Dream Theater to the redbook since I don't have the 16/44. The DR is rated at a 11, not bad for a 2011 release, it's still below the "Really Dynamic/Great" range...but...much better than the CD, where it comes in at a 7 (compressed/loud). DR doesn't tell you everything, but it can be a good indicator of ear bleeding loud. As far as what my ears tell me, It sounds very good. Interesting music...I'd call it a mix between Porcupine Tree and Metallica. If you're in the mood for some harder stuff, it's a good choice.

Here's a link from the Hoffman site...and some input on the comparison:

"Ok, I gave ADTOE a good listen in CD & HDtracks 24/96 forms.

No contest, 24/96 is a much nicer sound. There is an ease and naturalness about the HDtracks version that does not exist on the CD. It's about 5db quieter than the CD; so it breaths better, it sounds more analogue.

An analogy would be:

* The HDtracks vesion is like a well recorded early 90s CD (pre loudness wars)

* The ADTOE CD version is like that early 90s CD, but remastered in the 2000s (post loudness wars). Invariably it sounds worse. So it is here with DT. The CD punches you in the face, the HDtracks version sounds like music.

I'm getting rid of the ADTOE CD, I'll never listen to it again. The HDtracks version of ADTOE is my permanent version now. The second thing is, I really like this album. I've been a DT fan since 92; however, the last 10 years have not been good (after SDOIT). This album has prog, melody, sappy ballads & no growls (all the things I love about DT).

Good stuff, recommended."

Martin

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page