Old 05-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I noticed that Elliot Scheiner did the MCH mix for In Absentia which surprised me at first.

I just noticed this afternoon that he did the MCH mix for Deadwing as well, which I had always mistakenly assumed that Steven did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by caupina View Post

Hey, it's been a while, kind of quit buying MCH music but you know how it is or you wouldn't be here, right ???

Patricia Barber "Modern Cool" MSFL/SACD Stereo for 39 bucks
Quincy Jones "Ultimate Collection" SACD/Stereo 28.99 (I had been looking for this title for quite some time).

I'm glad to be back on track again

caupina,

Glad to see you back! As usual you have a sixth sense to sniff out incredible deals on SACDs. Modern Cool for $39 is an excellent deal! The Quincy Jones SACD looks like a great deal as well.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi Bill, I'm impressed to see your ever expading Hi-Res (SACD) collection. You know, one of the reasons I bought the Patricia Barber SACD was your comments on this particular artist so I decided to buy it and give it a try .
Old 05-26-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi Bill, I'm impressed to see your ever expading Hi-Res (SACD) collection. You know, one of the reasons I bought the Patricia Barber SACD was your comments on this particular artist so I decided to buy it and give it a try .

caupina,

Thanks! I was glad to make the suggestion and I think you will enjoy Modern Cool. It is the least I can do as you have been very helpful in expanding my library.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:

caupina,

Thanks! I was glad to make the suggestion and I think you will enjoy Modern Cool. It is the least I can do as you have been very helpful in expanding my library.

Bill

My friend, you were spot on!!!. it sounds incredible. I might be able to buy the "Companion" SACD, I'd like your thoughts on that one, how does it compare to "Modern Cool"????
Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My friend, you were spot on!!!. it sounds incredible. I might be able to the buy "Companion" SACD, I'd like your thoughts on that one, how does it compare to "Modern Cool"????

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I would say Companion is my least favorite PB SACD as it is a live album. But if you can get it for a fair price I would definitely grab it. One of my favorites is Verse which is still available new from Music Direct. I still feel the PB Gold HDCDs sound excellent and are much more affordable than the SACDs. Here is a link of all the PB titles from importcds and mixed in at $21.83 are the Gold HDCDs. I compared the Cafe' Blue SACD to the Gold HDCD version and the SQ is very close.

Bill

Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the reply....it's not that cheap, actually it's 50 bucks and unless it's a SACD/DVDA/CD, etc that I got to have, I don't go higher than 30 (today was the exception though and I'm glad I did ). I hadn't heard PB before so I just went for it because of your comments and the excellent price.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply....it's not that cheap, actually it's 50 bucks and unless it's a SACD/DVDA/CD, etc that I got to have, I don't go higher than 30 (today was the exception though and I'm glad I did ). I hadn't heard PB before so I just went for it because of your comments and the excellent price.

I believe I paid $50 new for Companion from Music Direct. I did well on all the PB SACDs paying $50 each for Verse, Modern Cool, Nightclub and Companion. I did real well with Cafe' Blue as I paid $60 for it. That price was thanks to someone who knew I was looking for it and sold it to me for what he paid for it. I have a number of PB's CDs as well and they all sound very good. I wouldn't hesitate to grab the Gold HDCDs as they sound excellent.

Bill

Old 05-27-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks for the info on PB and Modern Cool. I was looking around for the SACD and found reference to a bluray music only release on cd universe:

"This album hit like a thunderbolt when first released back in 1998. This release is a high resolution, dual layer blu-ray of this miraculous album. Included are 5.1 Surround remix (24/192 kHz) by original engineer Jim Anderson and the original 2 track masters here in 24/192 kHz for the first time on disc. The 5.1 surround remix is stunning, revealing detail never before heard. The high resolution 2 track masters shed new light on the originals. This release utilizes the Pure Audio system, a new technology that allows consumers to operate the disc using the on-screen menu navigation or by remote control without a TV screen. Playable on all blu-ray players. Music only - no video."

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll preorder this. This will be my first bluray music only disc. I also checked hd tracks. I would have preferred a high rez flac download, but they only have it available at 16/44.

I did preorder this at cd universe for 26 bucks plus change including shipping. It was cheaper than the gold hdcd.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Thanks for the info on PB and Modern Cool. I was looking around for the SACD and found reference to a bluray music only release on cd universe:

"This album hit like a thunderbolt when first released back in 1998. This release is a high resolution, dual layer blu-ray of this miraculous album. Included are 5.1 Surround remix (24/192 kHz) by original engineer Jim Anderson and the original 2 track masters here in 24/192 kHz for the first time on disc. The 5.1 surround remix is stunning, revealing detail never before heard. The high resolution 2 track masters shed new light on the originals. This release utilizes the Pure Audio system, a new technology that allows consumers to operate the disc using the on-screen menu navigation or by remote control without a TV screen. Playable on all blu-ray players. Music only - no video."

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll preorder this. This will be my first bluray music only disc. I also checked hd tracks. I would have preferred a high rez flac download, but they only have it available at 16/44.

I did preorder this at cd universe for 26 bucks plus change including shipping. It was cheaper than the gold hdcd.

HOLY SH*T!!!!!. This is great news for a serious PB fan! I just checked it out and I'll be all over this one when it is released. Thanks for posting this as I'm surprised I did not see this one coming.

I just checked importcds and they have the Modern Cool bluray listed for a release date of 6/26/12 for $18.19. The Gold HDCDs are available form importcds for $21.83 plus shipping which is only $1.50. They charge a $1.50 fee once so if you order multiple discs that is only a one time fee.

This will be an incredible release and will hopefully be only the first of many bluray audio only releases from PB. If there are bluray versions released of all the SACDs that will be excellent. The value of the SACDs will definitely drop which will be a good thing as some of the asking prices are insane.

Bill

Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice find!!!
Pre-order also placed.
Can't wait to give this a spin.
Now I'm kind of glad I only bought the Gold CD.

Bill,
You must have posted as I was placing my order.
Have cancelled my previous order and will place it at importcd when it becomes available. Wish importcd had it for pre-order.
At this point I need to get in the habit of checking importcd first before placing future orders.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Bill,
You must have posted as I was placing my order.
Have cancelled my previous order and will place it at importcd when it becomes available. Wish importcd had it for pre-order.
At this point I need to get in the habit of checking importcd first before placing future orders.

Didnt cancel, but used my order confirmation email and the contact us link to see if they would price match (or at least come close). If not I'll cancel.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didnt cancel, but used my order confirmation email and the contact us link to see if they would price match (or at least come close). If not I'll cancel.

It's certainly worth a try. Good way to see if they will play ball.

I'm waiting to see what there customer service is going to do about my refund.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If its a preorder there should be no refund. They aren't supposed to hit your credit card until the order is actually filled. I'll check my credit card and see. If they did, I believe that's illegal. I'll definitely cancel then.

Edit: Damned if it doesn't already show pending on my credit card. It may show pending till shipping. That's ok if they price match, but if it flicks to a charge, I'll definitely cancel. But I'll do it on the phone where I can give them a piece of my mind....
Old 05-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is great news regarding the PB release on BR...gives me hope of more releases. Someone other than Steve Wilson and a spattering of others. I just hope it sells well and I'll be helping out that cause. I'd love to see this format take off, due to the popularity of the players. Larger market, smaller prices.

This is reference on the 2.0 MFSL SACD, and the write-up certainly has done it's job and has me licking my chops. I'll have to hold off on buying till I get back to the States...moving on Jun 23rd. "Hear" I come...to the land of 2-3 day shipping!

Give us a good write-up Bill but considering the sourcing/mastering engineer, I'm already thinking this will be emmersive in 5.1 and has a great chance to dethrone the MFSL disc as THE digital version to have (for those with MCH set-ups)...can't imagine it will be better than the MFSL in 2.0 rigs.

Listening to Storm Corrosion for the first time right now...this is a good listen and much more mellow than Porcupine tree. It fits my mood and I like it.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Just received Art Pepper The Way it Was! And Stevie Wonder Songs in the key of Life, one of my favorite Stevie albums.

Djoel
Old 05-29-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CD universe would not price match the 18.19 listed at import CD so I cancelled. Once import CD begins taking orders I'll order it.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Import CD is now taking pre-orders for Modern Cool. Placed mine today at 18.19 plus shipping and handling.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Import CD is now taking pre-orders for Modern Cool. Placed mine today at 18.19 plus shipping and handling.

Thanks for the heads up. I just placed my order as well, with shipping the total is $21.18. I hope the release date will be the 26th with no delays. The MFSL 2CH SACD sounds superb so I have a feeling this will be an incredible sounding 5.1 disc!

Bill

Old 05-29-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Just purchased Melody Gardot's new album 'The Absence'. Its available in 24/96 from HD tracks.

You have to like someone who struggled with rehabing from a serious injury and memory losses with music! I read a quote from her:

"Norah Jones wins Grammys, I walk like one" (She uses a cane from her injuries)
Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just purchased Melody Gardot's new album 'The Absence'. Its available in 24/96 from HD tracks.

You have to like someone who struggled with rehabing from a serious injury and memory losses with music! I read a quote from her:

"Norah Jones wins Grammys, I walk like one" (She uses a cane from her injuries)

Jury is out on this one. Not real thrilled with the audio quality at quick listen and one track seems to have popping on it. An amazon reviewer also reported it on his download. (I assume mp3). I haven't listened to much and won't till Friday and I'll report on it then. Will be notifying HD tracks.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jumping on board as well!
Pre-order Has placed at importcd.
CD universe has credited my payment back to my PayPal account for the cancelled order.
Also hoping this get's released on the due date with no delays.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just a FYI for everyone that preordered the Modern Cool bluray form importcds. They are having a 10% "SAVE10" coupon code till 6/24/12. I reordered Modern Cool and the 10% reduction took so now the price is $19.36 shipped. I sent an email to importcds to cancel my initial order.

Bill

Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Eden Atwood " This is Always" and "Waves" SACD/MCH
Laurindo Almeida/Charlie Byrd "Tango" SACD/MCH
McCoy Tyner "Sahara" MSFL SACD/Stereo

Courtesy of T.H.E. Show, at Newport Beach, CA...they had so many SACD that I was going crazy trying to choose (some very expensive ones), however I managed to snap out of it I finally bought these 4 for just 78 dollars .

I'm listening to Eden Atwood "This is Always" and I'm impressed, nice vocals and my kind of jazz....think Diana Krall/Jacintha .
Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Eden Atwood " This is Always" and "Waves" SACD/MCH
Laurindo Almeida/Charlie Byrd "Tango" SACD/MCH
McCoy Tyner "Sahara" MSFL SACD/Stereo

Courtesy of T.H.E. Show, at Newport Beach, CA...they had so many SACD that I was going crazy trying to choose (some very expensive ones), however I managed to snap out of it I finally bought these 4 for just 78 dollars .

I'm listening to Eden Atwood "This is Always" and I'm impressed, nice vocals and my kind of jazz....think Diana Krall/Jacintha .

caupina,

Nice additions to your library. I've heard the Eden Atwood SACDs and they are great sounding SACDs.

I just bought:

Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests SACD (APO)

I have been wanting to buy this one for quite awhile as I'm a big fan of Ray Brown. There are several different SACD versions of We Get Requests but the Analogue Productions version is supposed to be the best one.

Bill

Old 06-01-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:

caupina,

Nice additions to your library. I've heard the Eden Atwood SACDs and they are great sounding SACDs.

I just bought:

Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests SACD (APO)

I have been wanting to buy this one for quite awhile as I'm a big fan of Ray Brown. There are several different SACD versions of We Get Requests but the Analogue Productions version is supposed to be the best one.

Bill

Thanks Bill....hey give us your impressions on the "We Get Requests"....that could be the next one on my list.....(if I find it cheap )
Old 06-02-2012, 01:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
OK...I can play in this thread a bit now...

At T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach today, I picked up the following:

Eagles - Hotel California SACD/MCH
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here SACD/MCH

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jury is out on this one. Not real thrilled with the audio quality at quick listen and one track seems to have popping on it. An amazon reviewer also reported it on his download. (I assume mp3). I haven't listened to much and won't till Friday and I'll report on it then. Will be notifying HD tracks.

Someone at amazon posted a response from the aritist. The popping is real and intended on that one cut. It's a fingernail popping in rythm to give the affect of vinyl. Kind of strange. I wish it wasn't there. But the albuim itself not that I had a chance to listen is really good. A little bit of a Brazillian influence. I really like her past work, none of which is available in hi-rez, just rbcd so I'll be getting that.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

OK...I can play in this thread a bit now...

At T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach today, I picked up the following:

Eagles - Hotel California SACD/MCH
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here SACD/MCH

Nice buys you got there Curtis, now for some reviews

Djoel
Old 06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just bought:

Bill Evans - At the Montreux Jazz Festival SACD

Bill