post #721 of 10347 Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolratt View Post

Hey Guys, I just read through this entire thread and copied and pasted an extensive list of music I want to buy as most of my collection is standard audio. My questions are...Even though I searched and found the difference between SACD & DVD-A which is the best in quality based on everybody's experience in this forum? And what is a SACD Hybrid and a Digipak? and is it any good, and finally can I play them on my PS3? Thanks for all the useful music ideas you guys have given me I look forward to updating my music and hearing from you. Ricky

Hi Ricky

Welcome to the wonderful (but sometimes frustrating) world of SACD & DVD-A

Regarding difference in sound quality between DVD-A and SACD, I have not heard any difference in sound quality between them myself - they are both good IMO (some releases are better than others, which applies to both formats). Back when the two formats were fighting it out to replace CDs there were folks on both sides that claimed one was better than the other, and the winner was..... mp3 downloads

SACD hybrid refers to a disc that is both SACD *and* a CD. The CD portion can be played back by anything capable of playing CDs, but the SACD portion can only be played back by something with SACD functionality. Most SACDs are hybrid, but there are non-hybrid SACDs out there - the non-hybrid SACD can only be played back by SACD player.

Digipak is a type of packaging for optical discs, there is a picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipak The reason it digipak is typically mentioned when discussing SACDs is because there are some discs out there (i.e., the Rolling Stones) that in normal plactic package is a regular CD only, but digipack version contains a hybrid SACD (but for my example it is only stereo/2channel).

Some PS3s have SACD functionality. Please check out the "hardware" and the "faq" sections of this: http://www.ps3sacd.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10347 Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

Hi Ricky

Welcome to the wonderful (but sometimes frustrating) world of SACD & DVD-A

Regarding difference in sound quality between DVD-A and SACD, I have not heard any difference in sound quality between them myself - they are both good IMO (some releases are better than others, which applies to both formats). Back when the two formats were fighting it out to replace CDs there were folks on both sides that claimed one was better than the other, and the winner was..... mp3 downloads

SACD hybrid refers to a disc that is both SACD *and* a CD. The CD portion can be played back by anything capable of playing CDs, but the SACD portion can only be played back by something with SACD functionality. Most SACDs are hybrid, but there are non-hybrid SACDs out there - the non-hybrid SACD can only be played back by SACD player.

Digipak is a type of packaging for optical discs, there is a picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipak The reason it digipak is typically mentioned when discussing SACDs is because there are some discs out there (i.e., the Rolling Stones) that in normal plactic package is a regular CD only, but digipack version contains a hybrid SACD (but for my example it is only stereo/2channel).

Some PS3s have SACD functionality. Please check out the "hardware" and the "faq" sections of this: http://www.ps3sacd.com/

Thanks Sherbona!
post #723 of 10347 Old 01-17-2009, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picked up Jazz at the Pawn Shop and Valerie Joyce The Look of love sacd's at ces along with some lp's.

Mike
post #724 of 10347 Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 PM

I recently got The Carpenters: Singles and Beethoven and Mendelssohn: Violin Conertos (RCA Living Stereo) both on SACD.

I am trying to find a copy of Sinatra at the Sands on DVD-Audio without having to spend $80 for it on ebay.
post #725 of 10347 Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspice1 View Post

I am trying to find a copy of Sinatra at the Sands on DVD-Audio without having to spend $80 for it on ebay.

Glad I bought up a lot of these when they were in circulation. Sinatra at the Sands happens to be a very good one. I just checked Amazon marketplace, and there's a used one there for $50. Still high, but lower than $80....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #726 of 10347 Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post

Glad I bought up a lot of these when they were in circulation. Sinatra at the Sands happens to be a very good one. I just checked Amazon marketplace, and there's a used one there for $50. Still high, but lower than $80....

Thanks for the tip, might have to get that copy.
post #727 of 10347 Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Liked: 11
I picked up a used copy Dylan's Nashville Skyline for $10. They had Love And Theft but I couldn't leave a UK first edition vintage 1984 copy of Wish You Were Here in the bins for $8.

Cheers,

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
post #728 of 10347 Old 01-20-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolratt View Post

And what is a ...Digipak?

Dear Poolrat,

Digipak is a cardbord CD case as opposed to a traditional hard plastic jewelcase.

Fans of The Rolling Stones frequently mention carboard Digipaks because the Hybrid SACD issued in 2002 for the Rolling Stones catalog up to and including Let It Bleed were Hybrid SACDs. The cardboard Digipaks are now out of print in North America and have been replaced by standard CDs in traditional jewel cases. If you want a high resolution SACD copy of Beggars Banquet in the Digipak cardboard case the value on the used market is going up. I have bought most of my Rolling Stones Hybrid SACDs on the used market locally in South Jesey since acquiring a $99 SACD player from Vanns.

The same Digipak issue applies to the Bob Dylan re-masters issued in 2003. Although I don't know of any Dylan titles going up in value like Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet.

The nice thing is that the Digipaks are easy to spot in the used CD bins because of the different pakaging. At a glace I can spot the Digipak!

The punch line is if you want a Dylan or Stones Hybrid SACD it's only to be found in a Digipak!

Can anyone confirm if this applies to any other artists?

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
post #729 of 10347 Old 01-20-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylandmike View Post

The same Digipak issue applies to the Bob Dylan re-masters issued in 2003. Although I don't know of any Dylan titles going up in value like Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet.

The nice thing is that the Digipaks are easy to spot in the used CD bins because of the different pakaging. At a glace I can spot the Digipak!

The punch line is if you want a Dylan or Stones Hybrid SACD it's only to be found in a Digipak!

Can anyone confirm if this applies to any other artists?

Yes, what you stated also applies to any hybrid SACD release that had ABKCO involved. Sam Cooke, Herman's Hermits, the Animals, etc. ABKCO was too lazy to change the UPC numbers when they reissued all of their SACDs as standard cds. It has been quite a pain to many SACD customers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #730 of 10347 Old 01-20-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Not SACD, but I picked up the DVD-A of "Tommy" today at Best Buy, of all places. Already have the SACD.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #731 of 10347 Old 01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
A Beautiful Mind-Soundtrack(Got it for $5 off Amazon)

I received it today, and haven't played it yet. But I've listened a bit to the first track of the CD in the car today, and it is really interesting and beautiful music.

post #732 of 10347 Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Police - Every Breath You Take The Classics
Peter Gabriel (Car)
Peter Gabriel - Us

All purchased from HMV Japan.
post #733 of 10347 Old 01-21-2009, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Man top last night... I had Verte Suisse first absinthe in almost a year, add to that Genesis: Genesis on SACD in pure DSD setup with paradigm studio series v3. Then added some billy joel The Stranger also SACD in DSD. I forgot what a pure joy a glass of good absinthe is...I vow to not let a whole year go by again between glasses.

But these are my first listen to SACD. And my god I'm blown away, direct DSD mode for the win. Just pisses me off everything isn't in dvd-audio or SACD...

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #734 of 10347 Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Aside from being an incredible performance, this DSD live recording is one of the best I've heard. If you're even remotely interested in classic jazz, this is a must-have.

Very Tall Band [DSD recorded] [HYBRID SACD]
Live at the Blue Note, 1998
Oscar Peterson
Ray Brown
Milt Jackson
post #735 of 10347 Old 01-22-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Need to look for that one! Thanks!
post #736 of 10347 Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 AM

Vivaldi: La Stravaganza / Rachel Podger, Arte Dei Suonatori
Handel: Twelve Grand Concertos - Concerti Grossi / Gester, Arte Dei Suonatori
Benny Carter - Jazz Giant
Fourplay - Energy
post #737 of 10347 Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 PM

Bach: The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues [SACD] [Audio CD]
By: Johann Sebastian Bach, Edward Power Biggs

Cameron Carpenter: Revolutionary [Hybrid SACD] [Includes Bonus DVD] [Audio CD]
By: Johann Sebastian Bach, et al

Not really my cup of tea, but great sounding and a good mix versus my usual stuff.
post #738 of 10347 Old 01-24-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVizzle View Post

Bach: The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues [SACD] [Audio CD] By: Johann Sebastian Bach, Edward Power Biggs

If you liked this one, try Handel Organ Concertos on Brilliant Classics label. It is a little more aggressive in the surround channels in case you do not like that.

Quote:

Cameron Carpenter: Revolutionary [Hybrid SACD] [Includes Bonus DVD] [Audio CD] By: Johann Sebastian Bach, et al

I have almost bought this one. But until I get a chance to listen to some of it ahead of time, I will just wait. I am afraid his rendition of Bach may be too modern for my tastes.
post #739 of 10347 Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb300 View Post

Vivaldi: La Stravaganza / Rachel Podger, Arte Dei Suonatori

Very nice SACD, I just got this

BEETHOVEN. String Quartets op.74 & 95
Artists: Tokyo String Quartet
Harmonia Mundi

My humble Cinema
post #740 of 10347 Old 01-26-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb300 View Post

If you liked this one, try Handel Organ Concertos on Brilliant Classics label. It is a little more aggressive in the surround channels in case you do not like that.

I have almost bought this one. But until I get a chance to listen to some of it ahead of time, I will just wait. I am afraid his rendition of Bach may be too modern for my tastes.

Modern it most definitely is. Listening to both of my recent buys there is a huge difference between them.

I think I am all 'organed' out, but I could probably go for some nice string stuff in surround. Any recommendations?
post #741 of 10347 Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 PM

The Police: Every Breath You Take SACD, imported from amazon.co.uk. Should arrive within a week or so.

Sort of on topic, sort of off, but I find myself preferring multichannel SACDs of bands in the studio versus SACDs/BD/DVD concerts because the sound is more clear and more polished.
post #742 of 10347 Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Genesis 70-75 Boxed set from amazon.uk
post #743 of 10347 Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

Where did you get them?
How do you like them?

Construction Time Again was from hkrecords on eBay and Black Celebration thru elusivedisc.com

Both turned out well. I liked Black Celebration more though but wanted to fill out the DM collection on SACD.
post #744 of 10347 Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the 3rd View Post

Construction Time Again was from hkrecords on eBay and Black Celebration thru elusivedisc.com

Both turned out well. I liked Black Celebration more though but wanted to fill out the DM collection on SACD.

Thanks for the info

Same here about filling out the DM collection. Black Celebration and one other are the only two I haven't picked up.

I would rather not pay 40 bucks for one disc right now. But I still may...
post #745 of 10347 Old 01-28-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVizzle View Post

I think I am all 'organed' out, but I could probably go for some nice string stuff in surround. Any recommendations?

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4402

Mozart: Chamber Music for Winds and Strings
Boston Symphony Chamber Players

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/336

Vivaldi: La Stravaganza Op. 4, 12 violin concertos
post #746 of 10347 Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
On the strength of the quality of surround and general AQ of the Divertimenti BD/SACD combo, I picked up 2 more 2L titles: Consortium Vocale (chants) and Mozart Violin Concertos. Both SACDs have outstanding surround and AQ.

2L43SACD and 2L38SACD
post #747 of 10347 Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Isley Brothers - 3+3
Byrds - Greatest Hits
post #748 of 10347 Old 01-30-2009, 04:38 AM

Scorpions Moment of Glory SACD.
post #749 of 10347 Old 01-30-2009, 04:56 AM

I just got "Heavier Things" by John Mayer. Great pop-album, somewhat subdued surround mix, but still very much worth-while.

Mitch

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy
and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks
all those childhood traumas magically wiped away
along with most of your personality
post #750 of 10347 Old 01-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasersnuser View Post

I just got "Heavier Things" by John Mayer. Great pop-album, somewhat subdued surround mix, but still very much worth-while.

Mitch

I have both JM SACDs, but I prefer Room For Squares both as an album and for the sonics and surround mix of the SACD.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page